Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 16:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And that too was shortlived. It used to wear out quite quickly. Used to buy those in tin boxes. 100 (or was it 500?) to the box.
You must be thinking back to the days of shellac 78s! Which were played with needles.

Early/cheaper styluses (styli?) for "microgroove" 33.3rpm records were not made from diamond, and did wear out faster, but they were still an individual purchase.

Needles for 78s came in different grades. There were needles that were intended to be used only once! The ones that I knew came in a packet rather like lighter flints --- but maybe that is something else not many will remember!

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:21.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 17:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yes, was talking of 78s played on handcranked turntables. Both record and turntable by HMV.

When the LPs came along, there was only one cartridge (a piezo) available (EEI I think, could be wrong). The stylus was not user replaceable. Ours was in the form of a radiogram.
Then there were the Garrad changers. And some college dorm stuff by Philips.
Much much much later came two direct drive turtables by Cosmic and Sonodyne.

Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 17:33   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Needles for 78 shellac records were sold in packs of 100s as they wore out superfast! Like this:
The Music Thread-needle2550x550w.jpg

HMV & philips stylus were similar; though not identical. Much like this:
The Music Thread-sl300.jpg

Whereas newer microgroove cartridges can have a life of anything between 500-1000 playing hours depending upon the tracking force/ weight. They are like this:
The Music Thread-5104vx4icgl.jpg

saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 01:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^ Needles for 78 shellac records were sold in packs of 100s as they wore out superfast! Like this:
The ones we bought came in a pack of something like ten or twelve. I recall that they were painted red, with shiny bare-metal tips.
Quote:
HMV & philips stylus were similar; though not identical. Much like this:
Oh, yes, I'd forgotten those! The twilight zone when people regularly played 33s and 78s, and there was a flip-over stylus

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:31   #50
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Music Thread

Thread moved to Shifting Gears. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th February 2020, 12:03   #51
BHPian

I think we should add one more option - Indian Film Music

I have never followed a 'band' and since my childhood, I have been an avid listener of Indian film music and that dominates my playlist. What started with Ceylon radio (Tamil Songs) and All India Radio (Malayalam) songs in late 80s and early 90s graduated to cassettes and CD in the later days. Chitrahaar (Wednesday in DD1), Chitrageetham (Friday in DD Malayalam), Rangoli (Sunday in DD1) and Oliyum Oliyum (Friday in DD Tami) were my source to songs once we got TV in mid-late 90s.

Even today my playlist is dominated by Ilayaraja and A. R. Rahman in Tamil, Johnson, Raveendran, Vidyasagar in Malayalam. Hindi songs are mostly 90s and early 2000s songs for the nostalgic factor. Songs play during 100% of our drives and thanks to that, my 6 year old daughter sings around 100 songs of Raja and ARR.

I have nothing against English songs - but I was never exposed to it in the age when my music taste was groomed and now, I am not very interested. I am sure there are many more like me in TBHP. For them, it would be great to add one more option in the voting options
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 12:05   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I think we should add one more option - Indian Film Music
99% of Indian film music is pop music (short for popular music). It is very rare to see a rock (Eg: Dev.D) or hip hop/rap (Eg: Gully Boy) song in a Bollywood movie.

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th February 2020 at 12:10.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
99% of Indian film music is pop music (short for popular music). It is very rare to see a rock (Eg: Dev.D) or hip hop/rap (Eg: Gully Boy) song in a Bollywood movie.
While I agree that majority of Indian film music (which is not just Bollywood) is pop - there are various other genres too. Classical, Folk, Ghazal songs also form a big component while Jazz, Techno, Blue, Sufi, Rock, Hip-Hop songs are also there. We usually put them into one big bucket of Indian film music or Filmi Songs or Indi-Pop (not Indie-pop) - this in my opinion should be considered a separate genre. Again, this could just be my opinion
Old 12th February 2020, 12:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I have a theory: Most of us like the music groups that were popular during our high school and college times.

I'm 40 and I can't point to a single song by artistes/groups like Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Beatles, early Pink Floyd etc that I like. That's probably due to the fact that - when I was in high school and college, groups like Metallica, Nirvana, Guns N Roses, 90s Pink Floyd (after exit of Roger Waters) ruled the cassette tapes. And these are the rock groups that I prefer to listen to.
Partially agree; although with a twist .... I'm roughly in the same age bracket as you; but personally was hooked to the similar set in school / college times (Metallica, Nirvana, Guns N Roses etc) but ultimately the ones that really survived are the ones from a generation ago, eg. the likes of Dire Straits, Clapton, Floyd etc ... also cannot miss a mention of Joe Satriani

PS - you could have given a poll option for Mix of all (that's really how it is for me)

Last edited by //HB : 12th February 2020 at 13:00.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:53   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a classical-only lad. Primarily Carnatic, but Hindustani too. I dislike Indian film music.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:42   #56
BHPian

I too listen to all kinds of music from various countries and different languages - malayalam, tamil, hindi, bengali, english, french, italian, and spanish!

Some of bands/individuals I have liked - Pearl Jam; Nickelback; U2; Linkin Park, Maroon5, Green Day; Pink Floyd; Coldplay;

Concerts Attended: Pandit Bhimsen Joshi; Green Day; and U2. Few up and coming bands mostly in the US - courtesy of a friend who would moonlight as radiojockey!

I am a sucker for wonderful guitar pieces and have developed extra liking for songs that have such (Hotel california, Layla, etc).
Old 12th February 2020, 14:04   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a theory: Most of us like the music groups that were popular during our high school and college times.
Moderator Suhaas is about 2 decades younger than me but shares an interest in similar bands as me. My son is almost 4 decades younger than me and also listens to the same music as I do.

Quote:

Love their distinct percussions. My favourite number is ‘turn the page’. Not their original composition but really like it.
Bob Seger wrote it. I first heard it on his Live Bullet album. Did you know Bob Seger and Glen Frey wanted to build a band together but Bob Seger's manager nixed the idea because he thought both Frey and Seger were too headstrong to work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When Navin says Jimi is god, I can say Dimash is god when it comes to vocalists
Not dissing Dimash, 6 octaves+ is impressive but it is more what you do with it than just a range. Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, etc did not have voices that spanned more than 3 octaves but their voice had a soul that was had to replicate.

Wiki says Faith No More metalhead also has a voice that can span 6 octaves but I have little interest in his voice.

Quote:
If it has to be new, go for a Rega. Avoid plasticky Denons and stuff like that.
Nothing better if you can find a vintage direct-drive Technics or even a Sony. Technics was a real good piece of hi-fi equipment.
Pro-Ject is also a nice brand. Another vintage belt drive brand was AR (Acoustic Research). They were more famous for their speakers though. The platter rang like hell though so it was open to DIY mods like Sorbothane and Blu-Tac.

If you can find an old direct-drive machine like the Technics SL3 or Denon DP62L and 47F in good working condition you should have a good table.

DD turntables are preferred by DJs. Not without reason that the SL1200 has been the mainstay for DJs for more than 40 years now. The first radio station I was part of had them way back in 1981.

Quote:
Do they really sample at a very high rate for LP recording when compared to MP3? I guess that is the wrong question I think. LP is not sampled at all.
LPs are all analog. One reason I find that LPs often sound better than their CD counterparts is that the engineer mastering the LP is actually using his ears and brain. CD mastering is often done poorly.

Quote:
You mean there are people who can hear sound higher than 160khz and so they prefer LP?
huh? This is not related to the Nyquist rate. Bit rate and Sampling rate are not related.

Quote:
Whereas newer microgroove cartridges
Please be aware than MR type cartridges have a lot of advantages like less stress on the stylus, better tracking, etc but need to be set up perfectly (Azimuth and VTA) otherwise the stylus can damage the record.

Last edited by navin : 12th February 2020 at 14:19.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:05   #58
BHPian

I am a Punjabi Music Fan because of high energy content but my all time favorite is:

Long Long time ago,
I still remember how that music used to make me smile.
If I had my chance i could make those people dance so that they may be happy for a while.
But February made me shiver with every paper I deliver. Bad news on the door step I couldn't take one more step.
I remember if I cried when I read about his windowed bride. Something touched me deep inside, The day music died..
Bye Bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevvy to the Levy but Levy was dry,
And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye Singin this will be the day that I die, This will be day that I die.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:36   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Not dissing Dimash, 6 octaves+ is impressive but it is more what you do with it than just a range.
He is famous now because he obviously knows what to do with it. Since he mostly sings operatic pop, he doesn't show up on your radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
huh? This is not related to the Nyquist rate. Bit rate and Sampling rate are not related.
My bad, I misread 320kbps as 320KHz. I obviously know the difference. Assuming it is a 16bit sample, I guess it is sampled at 20KHz, which means 10KHz is reproduced faithfully.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th February 2020 at 14:37.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:38   #60

Here are some of my goto artists (depends on the mood)

1. During regular Office commutes I listen to Downtempo and lounge mostly as kind of background music as I am all the time lost in my own thoughts
So AnujunaDeep and some podcasts on Spotify are my thing.

2. When I am in the mood for an exciting drive and in a very upbeat mood I prefer some EDM (Above and beyond, Ilan Bluetone etc)

3. Don't mind listening to some bollywood which my friends and family put most of the times. But I generally never put them on my own.

Some of my recommendations:
- Chet Faker
- FKJ

And my all time favourite goto artist are GRAMATIK and GRIZ
Love the beats, especially while driving.
Automagical is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed