Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 08:06   #31
BHPian

According to other newspaper reports , the car had more than 1700 Kms on the odo , but had no registration numbers / plates on it.. 1800 Kms without a registration ? sounds fishy to me.

The owner of the car has to be put in jail if he was running the car without numbers for 1700 KMs ..imagine the difficulties in tracing the car , if these kids had killed some other road users instead and sped away ..
Old 30th April 2007, 08:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
According to other newspaper reports , the car had more than 1700 Kms on the odo , but had no registration numbers / plates on it.. 1800 Kms without a registration ? sounds fishy to me.

The owner of the car has to be put in jail if he was running the car without numbers for 1700 KMs ..imagine the difficulties in tracing the car , if these kids had killed some other road users instead and sped away ..
this might sound funny.......a baleno in our place ran on 'for registration' for nearly a year. I havent seen the car recently.If I do , I'll get some pics.
Old 30th April 2007, 10:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do people drink and drive ?
Exactly... I've heard of people saying the drowsiness vanishes once in the driver's seat et all.... how lame.

One of my principles is that I do not drive under the influence under any circumstances. I have been poked fun at for this. People have said "Its just a drink or two. Do u get high with one drink?" and they have ridiculed me that i cannot drive after a small drink.

I dont seem to understand whats so funny. I can definitely hold my drinks... its just my way of life that i dont drive after even ONE beer. Many members can vouch for this.

I have faced lot of frustrations due to this also LOL. Everytime i come to blore i go pubbing on Brigade rd. And i need to take an auto back home from mg road at around 10.30 pm and none of the autos co-operate. Forget paying extra, they dont even wanna come. I have had to walk till shivajinagar for a bus.

Even here in chennai, nitrous anna drives me around as he doesnt drink alcohol.

P.S. I feel the Govt. should have auto's/taxi's with subsidised rates posted outside bar's and club's so ppl can go home without any risk to anyone. Plus there is no hassles of cops or auto's / taxi's negotiating. (wudnt know if this wud work, i once complained to a cop in blore when none of the autos were willing to drop me home. I said i am following the rules and respecting the law by not drinking n driving, but now how do i get home? Bugger just nodded and went away!!!)

Simple policy, not very difficult to follow, but makes a lot of difference. Try it guys. You can still have fun and make it safer for lot of ppl.

May their souls RIP and the injured recover soon.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st May 2007 at 21:25.
Old 30th April 2007, 11:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
, i once complained to a cop in blore when none of the autos were willing to drop me home. I said i am following the rules and respecting the law by not drinking n driving, but now how do i get home? Bugger just nodded and went away. @$$hole !!!)

Hahahahahaha.. would love to see the look on your face at that time... Dude..why will he pay attention to you.. He is more than happy to catch u driving under influence of alcohol than help you when u want a rick..

Godfather
Old 30th April 2007, 11:07   #35
BANNED

On a recent visit to Bangalore ... my friend who had gone with me to Delhi got caught for driving after drinking on MG road !!!! Luckily I didnt go out as I was tired or else I wud have been driving ... and I wud have been challaned , and seems the machines there are wonky . My friend had one drink of bacardi with coke in his system and the meter showed 60% alcohol .... IMPOSSIBLE !!!

As for the incident ... just unfortunate !! Lets not go about how I drive or the other shud drive , as we all know that we shudn't drive after drinks ( we still do ) , and that we shudnt drive fast ( we still do ) and when these two things are done -- anything can happen !!!! Lets just pray for support for their families . THATS IT
Old 30th April 2007, 11:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Hahahahahaha.. would love to see the look on your face at that time... Dude..why will he pay attention to you.. He is more than happy to catch u driving under influence of alcohol than help you when u want a rick.. Godfather
Why isnt there even one honest cop? Money talks and bull$hit walks...
I need to ask for a raise so i can afford a driver
Old 30th April 2007, 11:52   #37
BHPian

We were also driving down towards Mysore on Saturday morning at 5.
The Turn at Ramanagaram catches you unaware,even though i have driven a lot on that Highway.
Didnt notice the crash scene though...Wonder how i missed it....
Old 30th April 2007, 11:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

It is sad that people put their life on the line for a minor saving. I do not drink and normally do not exceed 90-100 kmph under any circumstance, but still reach on time. Recently, the OECD noted that based on a survey of Road Safety Performance in member countries excessive and inappropriate speed is the number one road safety problem in many countries, often contributing to as much as one third of
fatal accidents and an aggravating factor in most accidents.
Broadly speaking, each 1 kmph reduction in average speed leads to a 2-3% reduction in injury accidents This is a modelling estimate only, it does not apply to every individual road. In real life, there is a range of effects, with the largest decreases being found on urban roads and the smallest on motorways.
In general, the number and severity of road traffic accidents rise as speed increases. Keep in mind that you have only 1 sec or less to respond. If you have say 10 secs, nobody would die except a suicidal person. There are many contributing factors (from OECD)

Firstly, high speeds reduce the time people have available to process information, to decide whether or not to react and, finally, to execute an action.

As braking distance is proportional to the square of the speed (v 2 ), the distance between starting to brake and coming to a complete standstill also increases greatly with increasing speed. The time needed is composed of two elements: the reaction time of the driver (approximately 1 second in standard conditions) and the braking time.

Third, the possibility of avoiding collisions reduces as speed increases. With a speed of 80 kmph on a dry road, it takes around 22 metres (the distance travelled during a reaction time of approximately 1 second) to react to an event, and a total of 57 meters to come to a standstill. If a child runs onto the road 36 meters ahead, the driver would most likely kill the child if driving at 70 kmph or more, hurt the child if driving at 60 kmph and avoid hitting the child if driving at 50 kmph.

The stopping distance also depends on the type of pavement (its friction coefficient) and the condition of the road. Stopping distances are much higher on wet roads than on dry roads. As an example, at 60 kmph a driver needs around 46 metres to come to a standstill on a wet road, an additional 10 metres over the distance required when stopping from the same speed on a dry road.

Even when speeding is not the decisive cause of an accident, the severity of injury is highly correlated with the vehicle speed at the moment of impact. The effects follow the rules of physics regarding the change in kinetic energy that is released in an accident. The relationship between serious injury accidents, fatal accidents and speed has been modelled by
Nilsson and is commonly illustrated by the "Power Model". Based on the Power Model, a 5% increase in mean speed leads to approximately a 10% increase in all injury accidents and a 20% increase in fatal accidents. Similarly, for a 5 % decrease in mean speed there are typically 10% fewer injury accidents and 20% fewer fatal accidents.

the visual field of the driver is reduced when the speed increases. At
40 km/h, the driver has a field of vision covering 100°, which allows obstacles on the roadside, or other potential hazards, to be seen. At 130 km/h, the field of vision covers around 30°, which reduces considerably the capability of the driver to assess potential danger.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th April 2007 at 11:59. Reason: Please don't use font/size tags
Old 30th April 2007, 12:12   #39
Team-BHP Support

If one makes a rule that says no drinking before driving, practically everybody will break it. In most countries drinking is a social custom, almost everybody will drink before driving home. Therefore most developed countries have a limit as in blood alcohol level or other tests to see whether the driver just had a casual drink or plain drunk.

Almost none of us are saints here, we all have done some drinking before driving. The question is did we drink responsibly. Personally I limit my beer consumption to 1 litre or below if I am driving. Made it 1/2 litre if it is H-5000 after a recent experience . If I drink anything harder, I don't drive.
Old 30th April 2007, 12:43   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Almost none of us are saints here, we all have done some drinking before driving. The question is did we drink responsibly. Personally I limit my beer consumption to 1 litre or below if I am driving. Made it 1/2 litre if it is H-5000 after a recent experience . If I drink anything harder, I don't drive.
Man, Id never manage driving if I set myself such a target ... or did you type it wrong ... 1 crate of beer instead of th e1 ltr of beer or is it 1 ltr of whisky ??? IM CONFUSED , but Im sure it cant be 1 ltr of beer
Old 30th April 2007, 12:50   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Man, Id never manage driving if I set myself such a target ... or did you type it wrong ... 1 crate of beer instead of th e1 ltr of beer or is it 1 ltr of whisky ??? IM CONFUSED , but Im sure it cant be 1 ltr of beer
No, you read it correctly, I mean litre and not crate . The only time you saw me drinking, I wasn't driving that night.
Old 30th April 2007, 12:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

And i know some people take ready mixes with them for long journeys.
Old 30th April 2007, 12:57   #43
BHPian

Very sad news indeed... feel especially sorry for the passengers who lost their lives for no fault of theirs... 17 is a ridiculously young age to die (not that ANY age is a good one), and the one who's paralysed faces a life full of misery... driving under the influence is fast becoming a menace, especially in the metros and sadly the government is not doing enough to raise awareness amongst the youth... a point in case is the TAC advertising in Australia, which is shocking but effective (some of it is visible during cricket matches in Australia... Drink, Drive, Bloody Idiot etc.)!! something on those lines should be done by the government / insurance cos here... but given their apathetical attitude thus far, i have very slim hopes indeed.
Old 30th April 2007, 13:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Bhailog...
Mere liye to driving me jo nasha woh kisi whiskey mein nahi....

Hence, whenever I want to drink, I keep on driving....

Abhi
Old 30th April 2007, 13:25   #45
BHPian

This is really unfortunate.

If that guy were actually drunk, I dont have any sympathies for him... This has become a complete menace to everyone.... The other day 3 people were just knocked down in the pavement. There seems to be no value for life....This has to stop and the buck stops at the parents and friends too. I mean, how can one let a drunk person drive them around in a highway.? (Unless everyone was drunk).

First of all we have call center cabbies in their own world during the nights. They drive like nutcases. Now we have drunk kids that too in powerful cars.
Nowadays, working late in the night can be a life threatening one!!....Everyone should reach home by 12. And then a voluntary curfew for all sane people to refrain from taking to the roads...till early morning..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed