Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:35   #76
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I'm guessing he panicked. I think there was another vehicle at the intersection. Also this is the rider which means no ABS.

He's braked locked up as a result lost complete steering and gone straight on. had he not braked he would have understeered and run wide.
I agree. The skid marks show that he braked hard upon seeing the intersection, but it was too late. Possibly the influence of alcohol; or did he have a failure in the vehicle, like a tyre burst? No way he should have approached that intersection at 130 kmph in a Skoda.

I feel that the there should be big flashing lights on top of major intersections so that approaching vehicles can see them well ahead of time. I do not even see any lights at this intersection, which is quite dangerous at night time. The best policy is to follow the road centerline when doing high speed at night, especially on poorly lit roads; one will get some advance warning when the road curves.

Last edited by rks : 2nd May 2007 at 11:36.
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

The new highways warn of curve directions etc pretty well, and this was not really an intersection, more like a city road joining the highway (which curves to the right). Most drivers aren't even looking out/observing signs - and people have been surprised (pleasantly) when I've pointed out signage which they haven't noticed while driving. These are often fluorescent too.
Yes, no way anyone should attempt that curve at 3 digit speeds - esp given that its going through a town - even at night. There just are more roads crossing, lanes, alleys that are not too visible, and overall more surprises than on an open highway with clear visibility for a few hundred metres.
In any case, at night the stopping distance at any point should be not more than the beam spread - you cannot even avoid a major pothole or stalled vehicle if this is not the case.
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Some thoughts:

1) Please respect the speed limit - roads are designed for that. For instance, speed limit in the above stretch is 60 (if I remember correctly). So the banking on that blind curve is suitable for speed 60 and slightly more (maybe at max 90). Anything more will surely put pressure on the car.

2) Always slow down while passing through a town/village. I know its frustrating to slow down/downshift, but spare a thought for the people who live along the highway.

3) You never know whats in store next - there might a stone, a deep pot hole, etc. Better to be withing safe limits.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:04   #79
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Hemlock Holmes,

ABS aint gonna help when his blood alcohol level was multiples X 10 of the permissible limit and doing 200 kmph on a sharp curve.
I agree with vid6639 that ABS could have been helpful here. Though the driver did approach the sharp right hand curve (first pic, post #56) too fast, the skid marks (post #57) seem to indicate that the driver tried to steer to the left edge of the road in preparation for negotiating the sharp right ahead at high speed; note the divider on the highway. At the same time the driver had to brake hard in an attempt to slow down the vehicle. The wheels might have locked up at this stage resulting the failure of the Octavia to correct course upon reaching the left edge, and the consequent collision with the pole. ABS is supposed to help in maintaining steering while braking hard, since the wheels do not lock up; so it is quite possible that the Octavia would have avoided the pole if ABS had been there. Of course ABS will not prevent a sideways skid.

This maneuver was probably never on for a big heavy car like Octavia. Even with a sports car it would have been tough to pull off at that speed.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:24   #80
Senior - BHPian

May their souls rest in peace. This is pretty ghastly.

I remember this curve. If I am not wrong, it is after Ghousia Engg college if we were to drive from B'lore to Mysore. I also was taken by surprise once during early morning.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:29   #81
BANNED

This thread is turning into a Solve the mystery types with all of us turning into Sherlock Holmes ( desi style ) -- Bottom line is that a few kids lost their lives in an attempt to do something that we all know shudn't be done by anyone , forget sober or drunk .

So lets keep this thread for condolences to the near and dear ones of the deceased ..... its very easy to do a post mortem but no one will ever know what actually happened in that car at that point . So let it rest .... PLEASE !!
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:34   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
This thread is turning into a Solve the mystery types with all of us turning into Sherlock Holmes ( desi style )
I agree. If all are done posting their condolences, I'd suggest this thread be locked.
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

What a lousy thing to happen - all round!!.. Parents losing their son on thier 25th anniversary!... I have two daughters myself - words fail me!!

May they RIP

And may god bless us all!!
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:11   #84
BHPian

May the departed soul rest in peace.... and girls in hospital have a speedy recovery...
i was on my way to mysore on the same day and was at the junction at around 7:30.... din't notice anything at that time...
Old 2nd May 2007, 17:05   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I've already used the report post feature, but I don't think anyone saw it.
Well, as you are aware ... they will lock threads that probably can go on but then threads that shud be locked stay open longer !!!
Old 2nd May 2007, 18:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

My condolences to the affected families - it will be very difficult for them.
Can't really advice a 24yr old person on safe driving, except wishing that he gets it right.

PS: What is the VIP badge doing on the car? And a car without a number plate?
Old 2nd May 2007, 19:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

What a waste of life. My condolences to the affected families.

A lot of other threads on modifications & team-bhp meets reports pumps me for racing and stunts in car inspite of my minimal experience with the wheels ( its me who took it in wrong way and nothing with the contents). But this sort of threads really works as an eye opener clearly highlighting the seriousness & calms down every nerve
Old 2nd May 2007, 19:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, as you are aware ... they will lock threads that probably can go on but then threads that shud be locked stay open longer !!!
Ours is not to question why...
Old 2nd May 2007, 19:53   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You've probably heard this before, Mods work in mysterious ways.

Seriously, we lock down when threads turn into chat sessions or endless arguments. That hasn't happened in this thread. People are still making serious observations or paying condolences.

However, since many of you want it locked, I guess we can do it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks