Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 12:18   #46
BHPian

Re: The 2021 Tokyo Olympics

I have noticed that the medals tally in this edition of Olympics has a "new" entrant- ROC. A quick google search helped me decode the acronym. ROC stands for Russian Olympic Committee. The reason behind this is, Russia has been banned from competing in the Olympics by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for its "state sponsored doping program". However, a special provision was made for the Russian athletes who did not take part in the doping program to compete in the games, only as neutrals under the ROC designation.

LINK- Why is Russia called "ROC"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Does that guarantee 2 bronze medals?
The simple answer is NO.

LINK

Last edited by Emvi : 4th August 2021 at 12:25.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Does that guarantee 2 bronze medals?
Why bronze?
Why not gold?
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:48   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Why bronze?
Why not gold?
Oh come on man! He meant at least bronze. We all yearn for the gold, no doubt.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

I happen to stay next to the local district stadium. I also have the privilege of utilising its indoor facilities for a game that i pursue as a hobby, as well as the outdoor track where i go for my daily runs.

The compound also houses the district level sports hostel that provides free lodging, boarding and training to about fifty students selected from schools across the district based on their performance in selection trials.

Enquiries with the kids reveals that the food they get is tasty, nutritious and full of variety. Apart from assistance in all their daily chores, they get access to a host of good sporting facilities and a couple of young and enthusiastic coaches.

Their track suits, shoes, spikes and related gear are top notch.

They are trained professionally, twice daily, six days a week.

YET, in the five years I have been interacting with them (across batches), there was exactly ONE instance of a trainee reaching the national level in an age-group running event.

All else is Maya!

Nothing fruitful ever comes out of the program.

Shockingly, I was told by many that their teachers in school look down upon these boys and girls as they are generally less inclined towards academics; they are seen as freeloaders.

I have myself been instrumental in identifying, training and facilitating the participation of a student of mine at the national level, twice in row. Still, it is a herculean task to convince the parents to accommodate some time and resource for further training.

Sports isn't yet a destination in India; it is just a vehicle that can take you somewhere: a Probationary Officer in a nationalised bank, a gazetted post in the state government or an executive in a PSU are some such places.

The absence of a sufficient number of successful, relatable and identifiable role models is a problem that all aspiring sportsters have to contend with.

xxxxx

At the Tokyo Olympics, like in all previous ones, we have flattered to decieve. A silver here and a bronze there isn't really a matter of glory for us; although, sadly, that is what we are forced to live with.

Unsurprisingly, the overactive Indian media doesn't let the medal hopefuls to finish off their challenges in peace. Win a single encounter and you are elevated as a golden prospect. This naturally puts a lot of pressure on the athletes or makes them overconfident. Let's not names, but we have seen this happen this time too. You can do all sorts of preparations prior hand, but absolute focus and concentration in the heat of the battle is what separates the winners from the have beens.
dailydriver is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:23   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Still, it is a herculean task to convince the parents to accommodate some time and resource for further training.
I remember talking about this with Ashish Ballal few years ago. He said the only reason why his well-to-do parents allowed him to pursue sports career was because they gave up on him. His elder brothers were doing well in their college and career and Ashish was the black sheep in the family. Alright, do whatever... they said and then he got to join sport academy.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:23   #51
BHPian

I had some question/thoughts in my mind since long time and hence thought of asking/sharing it here.

When IOC decides to add a new sport to the Olympics, on what basis they do?
The reason I am asking this question is, most of the sports that got added recently were being played mainly in western countries (US/CAN, EU, AUS/NZ, JAP, KOR and few others).
Do they even think about rest of the countries in the world when they add these kind of sports?
I am referring to some of the sports like 3x3 Basketball, Baseball, BMX Cycling, Mountain Bike, Skateboarding, etc.

And then there are some sports, which have been there since many years, but still I never understood why they are called global sports like Canoe, Rowing, Equestrian, Sailing, etc.
These I feel are exclusive sports which are played only in some of the richest countries (barring some exceptions).

In the recent games, we are seeing some kind of a trend, where few countries started dominating some of the sports.

Swimming – US/AUS/EU
Athletics – US/JAM/AFR
Rowing/Canoe – EU
Equestrian – EU/UK
Badminton/TT/Weightlifting – China
Archery/Shooting – Korea/CHN
Diving – China
Gymnastics – US/CHN/JAP
Judo – Japan

So, it feels like these countries have decided to split and own the different sports and also decided not to step into each other’s sports😊

I have been following Olympics since 1988 and I started getting the feeling that these games are no longer the global games that they used to be.
Old 4th August 2021, 15:03   #52
BHPian

Ravi Kumar storms into the final of 57kg free style wrestling competition with a superb come from behind victory. He was trailing big-time for majority part of the bout only to pin his Kazakh opponent down in the dying minutes!

Last edited by Emvi : 4th August 2021 at 15:07.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 08:49   #53
BHPian

Indian men's hockey team win BRONZE medal defeating the mighty Germans 5-4. Spectacular performance from the Indians!!
First Olympic hockey medal for India since 1980!!

Last edited by Emvi : 5th August 2021 at 08:50.
Emvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 08:54   #54
BHPian

The Indian Men's Hockey team has created a history! What a stupendous effort!

This victory will also inspire our mighty Women's hockey team! They have also shown what Indian Women can do!

Congratulations to all!
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 10:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Amazing to see our Hockey team back on a podium finish after so many years. Was telling my wife that the Indian Hockey Team had won 8 gold medals prior to this and she looked at me weirdly stunned

And what a fight it was by Ravi Kumar. Was surprised to see that his opponent bit him to try and break the hold. Is that even allowed?

Last edited by deathwalkr : 5th August 2021 at 10:21.
Old 5th August 2021, 10:46   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
And what a fight it was by Ravi Kumar. Was surprised to see that his opponent bit him to try and break the hold. Is that even allowed?
No, biting is not allowed.

I guess he was very frustrated to lose by fall after being so much ahead on points.

Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 10:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
When IOC decides to add a new sport to the Olympics, on what basis they do?
The reason I am asking this question is, most of the sports that got added recently were being played mainly in western countries (US/CAN, EU, AUS/NZ, JAP, KOR and few others).
Do they even think about rest of the countries in the world when they add these kind of sports?
I am referring to some of the sports like 3x3 Basketball, Baseball, BMX Cycling, Mountain Bike, Skateboarding, etc.
Some nations (read..ahem you know who) do get their way in such sporting events on global scale. However , its premature to think that these don't apply to a country like India. We have also made our entry into sports like Rowing, Equestrian, Fencing etc. Its takes years and years of dedicated hard work and right skills to make it to the Podium. So probably 20 years from now, the equations may change. We may not be the ones that cause that change but then such changes do happen. The Olympic committee's reasons for including sports like 3x3 Basketball, Baseball, BMX Cycling, Mountain Bike, Skateboarding, etc , are to bring youngsters to take up sport. Its is a bit paradoxical that while these get included our application for Cricket (forget kabaddi) is still pending. So the bias is unmissable. Not to forget that there is winter "only"mpics where Jamaica, India and Ethiopia are naturally banned. So, not to sound nitpicky, its just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
In the recent games, we are seeing some kind of a trend, where few countries started dominating some of the sports.
I have been following Olympics since 1988 and I started getting the feeling that these games are no longer the global games that they used to be.
Same like we were dominating Hockey from start till 1980 and then it just fell apart. There is no such dominance, one day the Chinese would also be beaten in Ping-Pong.

PS: Officially Its still 2020 Tokyo Olympics. So probably the thread needs a change in title.

Last edited by srini1785 : 5th August 2021 at 10:54.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 11:44   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If Indian schools had such gyms and grounds, we would be doing 10 times better.

1) When 99% of the Indian kids have no access to even try out the sports in school, how does one even identity talent? The talent identification happens only among the 1% or less who had the chance to play that game.
2) Because of the low ROI in sports career, very few parents encourage their kids to spend more time in sports.

And then every four years we wonder why we have so little medals. The answer is very simple, we haven't invested in it at all.
During my schooling days, we did play Hockey, Table Tennis, Badminton, Cricket, Football and all the other Olympic sports like Athletics barring swimming and that too in a KV situated at Naharlagun (Arunachal Pradesh).Later on during the late nineties, these sports had no takers as the computer games entered. I agree with you on the fact that we didn’t have proper facilities back then in the elementary levels.

The school system in India is awfully biased towards studies and before the parents, it’s the teachers who look down upon kids who excel in sports. Padhoge likhoge banoge nawab, kheloge kudoge toh banoge kharab-which means if you study your life will be made but if you waste time playing, your life will be sad. This was propagated so badly that many talents were wasted for no reason.

But at least things have changed somewhat. At least there is a system in place for identifying talents and groom them. It’s another matter that Olympic sports and facilities are still a money making exercise for many. Fantastic facilities are made for national games and after the completion, those facilities become just another dumping yard where equipments rot away.

Either way, I see people who come to these sports are either from very humble background who need money to sustain in life or people from effluent background who have the zeal to succeed like Abhinav Bindra or someone like Ashish Ballal . This needs to change and only then we can expect medals from Olympics !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Some nations (read..ahem you know who) do get their way in such sporting events on global scale. However , its premature to think that these don't apply to a country like India. We have also made our entry into sports like Rowing, Equestrian, Fencing etc. Its takes years and years of dedicated hard work and right skills to make it to the Podium. So probably 20 years from now, the equations may change. We may not be the ones that cause that change but then such changes do happen. The Olympic committee's reasons for including sports like 3x3 Basketball, Baseball, BMX Cycling, Mountain Bike, Skateboarding, etc , are to bring youngsters to take up sport. Its is a bit paradoxical that while these get included our application for Cricket (forget kabaddi) is still pending. So the bias is unmissable. Not to forget that there is winter "only"mpics where Jamaica, India and Ethiopia are naturally banned.
The inclusion of Cricket has actually many dimensions. Cricket was included in the 1900 Olympics but it was a washout since there were dearth of teams. Only four teams were there and two withdrew. It has not been included ever since.

As far as our application, the Indian board was never interested in cricket being included in Olympics. Only T-20 version can be played at the Olympics and that is a huge money churner for the respective boards. No board is ready to let go of the money involved. Also, any sport under IOC automatically comes under their purview and no cash rich cricket board wants their interference into their affairs. We probably know why, don’t we ??

On another note, any host city can apply for a particular sport to be included provided they have the necessary facilities. But that is not binding on the next host to continue the same.

Also, India is not banned from the Winter Olympics now since Shiva Keshavan is a six time Olympian. He is a legend in his own right and I have got huge respect for him. It’s not easy for a luge athlete to compete in winter games when there are no facilities in India.

Yes, India was banned once in 2014 if I am not wrong when IOC suspended Indian Federation due to corruption and not following official guidelines and which was subsequently withdrawn later.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 5th August 2021 at 11:54.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 13:17   #59
BHPian

IOC is embracing the whole "cool dude" culture and games in an effort to stay relevant and attract younger generations to the sport. Skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing are just examples of that.
At this rate we can soon look forward to parkour and beer pong in the future Olympics.
yosbert is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 14:32   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing are just examples of that.
So you think none of them are sports? Should try any of them out. I've attempted 2 and trust me, they require far more athleticism than cricket!

Tune in to the sport climbing finals happening right now and see if it's cool dudes or athletes doing their thing. Ironically, with the format of sport climbing, it's probably the sport that best embodies "Faster (speed climbing), Higher (lead climbing), AND Stronger (bouldering)."

Last edited by am1m : 5th August 2021 at 14:38.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks