Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 12:54   #1
BHPian

The 2021 Tokyo Olympics

I am surprised that a thread dedicated to Olympics 2021 is still uninitiated. What better way to initiate the thread than with lifter Mirabai Chanu snatching silver in the 49kg category to open India's medal tally.
Emvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 09:19   #2
BHPian

Re: The 2021 Tokyo Olympics

I think Shri Anand Mahindra said it perfectly, on behalf of all of us.

Name:  Anand Mahindra.png
Views: 1287
Size:  106.2 KB
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 01:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I am surprised that a thread dedicated to Olympics 2021 is still uninitiated. What better way to initiate the thread than with lifter Mirabai Chanu snatching silver in the 49kg category to open India's medal tally.
Meanwhile, Domino's Pizza has announced a lifetime free pizza offer for Mirabai
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 Tokyo Olympics-img_20210726_013438.jpg  

Old 26th July 2021, 09:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As always auto and food brands jumping on the publicity bandwagon AFTER the results have come due to the hard work, dedication and sacrifice of the athlete. It would do more for the sports cause if these organizations supported these athletes BEFORE, while they were training. And in real terms, not just on social media.

Last edited by am1m : 26th July 2021 at 09:36.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 09:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Do Olympians eat pizza?
Domino's actually replied to a Mirabai interview in which she said she wanted to go back home and have a pizza
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Domino's actually replied to a Mirabai interview in which she said she wanted to go back home and have a pizza
Yes, my mistake, I read that later.
Old 26th July 2021, 11:36   #7
BHPian

I hope that is not the only medal the country wins. Yesterday and today seems to be the days when India's Olympic wheels are coming undone.

No wins, no qualifications..... I hope the dry spell is lifted shortly

Last edited by no_fear : 26th July 2021 at 11:40.
Old 26th July 2021, 12:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I hope that is not the only medal the country wins.
Lots of hope on Neeraj Chopra and a Javelin medal. Though admittedly that is not based on my understanding of the sport, but more based on media reports and my desire for it to happen! Can the more knowledgeable people about athletics and those who have been following his career progress more closely, shed any light? I understand that one of the main medal contenders has dropped out, so that improves his chances even more?
Old 26th July 2021, 12:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As always auto and food brands jumping on the publicity bandwagon AFTER the results have come due to the hard work, dedication and sacrifice of the athlete. It would do more for the sports cause if these organizations supported these athletes BEFORE, while they were training. And in real terms, not just on social media.
Quote:
Lots of hope on Neeraj Chopra and a Javelin medal. Though admittedly that is not based on my understanding of the sport, but more based on media reports and my desire for it to happen! Can the more knowledgeable people about athletics and those who have been following his career progress more closely, shed any light? I understand that one of the main medal contenders has dropped out, so that improves his chances even more?
Every once in four years, the country wakes up to our athletes( that too only if someone wins a medal) and forgets them conveniently. This time even the politicians got into the fray and were seen hijacking the limelight from athletes even before the games began. The opening ceremony was a disaster when we were made to see the politicians waving alongside a split screen on our televisions !!

Even the broadcasters are not exactly showing the Olympics per day as a whole. And as soon as Mirabai Chanu won a medal, everyone will now jump on the bandwagon while it lasts in the public memory. Olympics are hard work and every athlete deserves the best facilities to compete. Corporate sponsorship has started to flow but there is still so much to be done.

The recent case of Monica Batra not talking to the national team coach while insisting accreditation for her own personal coach is a prime example of the official incompetence. Every one deserves the best chance to succeed and they should be provided if it helps our country win a medal.

Regarding Neerav Chopra, he is a class act and I am following him since he first shot to fame in the youth championships. I have high hopes from him and he should be a medal winner for sure if not the gold itself. He has trained abroad with the best facilities available and it should come in handy for the games. His progress in the Grand Prix Series is also noteworthy and this year’s Olympics should win him a medal. Anything above 90 metres should be good for a medal and I hope he breaches the 95 metres mark to be assured of the gold.

Also, Saurav Chowdhary- the marksman might be disappointed despite qualifying for the title round but he is still young and his time will definitely come for sure. He is a wonderful talent and should be groomed properly.

Our athletes are equally talented just like the rest, all they need is top notch facilities and continued support. I hope Olympic sports continue to inspire the youngsters to excel.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 26th July 2021 at 12:25.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 12:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Here's how Amul congratulated Mirabai Chanu on her silver feat.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2021 Tokyo Olympics-amul.jpg  

Old 26th July 2021, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Indian men's archery team lost to South Korea in the quarter finals earlier in the day. After watching the South Koreans' performance in the Gold Medal contest, I am not even a wee bit surprised that India couldn't get past them. Incredible shooting from the Koreans! Not for nothing they are the Olympic champions!
Old 26th July 2021, 15:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Incredible shooting from the Koreans! Not for nothing they are the Olympic champions!
All the military training, plus simulations to shoot at North Korean military for 2 years. Just a bit of joking, but they were truly good. I was hoping that our team wins but its tough.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 16:08   #13
BHPian

Why are the 2021 Olympics still called Tokyo 2020!?

LINK

Click on the link to find out.

Last edited by Emvi : 26th July 2021 at 16:23. Reason: Line added
Old 26th July 2021, 16:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why are the 2021 Olympics still called Tokyo 2020!?
'cause the games were to be held last year, but got postponed due to Covid. If the games had not been conducted this year then may be we would have had a skipped one, like it happened during WW2 in 1940 & 1944.
Old 26th July 2021, 16:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
'cause the games were to be held last year, but got postponed due to Covid. If the games had not been conducted this year then may be we would have had a skipped one, like it happened during WW2 in 1940 & 1944.
Yes, you are right. I had actually posted the LINK in my previous post .

Most Viewed