Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 23:18   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Have you tried this place recently? I am thinking of visiting this place, hence this question
Have you ever been here? If so, it has'nt changed a bit.

Quote:
I was trying to locate this today, but couldn't. How much ahead of the Sholinganallur signal is this located ?
Old 7th July 2010, 01:20   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Blue Thunder is going to be very angry
Old 7th July 2010, 12:50   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Hotel Milan - Vijaynagar (Brain-fry, mutton-pepper-fry, paya - these are food from the old-world charm - none of the new ones - post 2000 hotels have these -
Tried this place yesteday, and it was good...had Parotta and mutton fry(~Rs85/-)/brain fry (Rs65/-). Brain fry was excellent. parotta was a big disappointment (old stock, reheated). I also had one aapam, which was better. So, suggestion for this place : do not try parotta, try dosai/aapam with the tasty NV side dishes.
Quote:
I was trying to locate this today, but couldn't. How much ahead of the Sholinganallur signal is this located ?
Quote:

A Guide: Eating out in Chennai-startledape.jpg

What more can I say :-)

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 7th July 2010 at 12:57.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:20   #274
BHPian

Serious! Thamburan is listed in google maps. Enter the co-ordinates and voila you are there! The next time I go there I will note down the hotels on the intersection of that road and the OMR. From Tidel towards Sholinganallur signal, just before reaching the shol signal (say 150-200 m) there is a left. On that left its just the 2nd building on the right.

Its a mallu joint (owner/food):

1. Mathi (sardine) curry (malabar style) or sheela (baraccuda?) curry.
2. Red rice meals (also known as Kerala rice, matta rice) - (white rice is also available)
3. Aila (mackerel) fry // I dont know if there is any other place which serves this. road-side stalls?
4. Natholi (Anchovy) fry
5. Para fry / at times Vavval/Avoli (Pomphret) fry.
6. Chicken Biriyani (Malabar style)
7. At times Koondal (squid) fry

No Beef. I heard only Sat/Sun. They have refurbished this and extended a first floor to the old setup. Iron chairs replaced by nice wooden ones. Nice upgrade.

I have been there once at night - Putt (steamed rice-funnel-cake ;-))/Kadala-curry. They have a black board which said banana fritters and Elanjee (Malabar evening snacks)

Meals used to be 30, aila fry - 30, biriyani - 50 sardine curry (3 pieces) - 30. My friend paid the bill on my only visit after the upgrade so dont know the current rates. But amazing VFM for someone who likes non-veg and enjoys trying different kind of food.

Have fun!
Old 7th July 2010, 19:50   #275
BHPian

I forgot - another restaurant - Malabar Biriyani Center on the Nelson Manikam road - opposite Lilliput (13.068445,80.225864) - VFM again. Very small joint, their USP - arabic chicken grill, they have beef as well, kalamakka-narachaddu (mussels-filled.) then similar to the above - might not have all of the Thamburan stuff, but the biriyanis, parotta, chicken-curry is all there. This joint has a red/white board and also an Andhra mess adjacent to it.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:39   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Hotel is situated just opposite to Accenture office in one of the lanes. May be second or third. I went there once and did not like the food quality.

I think the hotel is started by a Satyam employee who then made this as a full time business.

Last edited by ikoneer : 7th July 2010 at 22:41.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:02   #277
Senior - BHPian

Guys looking out for mallu food - have you tried the old old kalpaka near music academy? You need to take a left from Music academy while coming from Gemini fly-over. It is some 100 meters from the junction. Dont compare with kumarakom or tharavadu. Its a sort of old styled mallu joint - those who miss the ordinary middle of the road kind of restaurants in kerala can try this. Fish curry rice, beef fry and all other normal kerala dishes. Quality is kind of ok, but worth the try just for the feel of eating in kerala.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:23   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...just before reaching the shol signal (say 150-200 m) there is a left. On that left its just the 2nd building on the right. ...
Aaaga ! Itha munnadiyae sollaliyae ! (you did not tell this the last time)

I was looking for it on the main OMR road itself...ok, now I know I will be able to find it, thanks .
Old 8th July 2010, 18:49   #279
BHPian

I ate in a place called gioRgio yesterday. Its after the Woodpecker showroom in Besant Nagar(near the Church). I'm Veg and the sizzler I ate was damn good.

The Non Veg was also apparently very good. Although the portions are medium and the price is slightly high.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:07   #280
BHPian

@Blue_Thunder: Coordinates munnadiye kudethenne! Ithu oru sariyaan kerala saapaadu. I can vouch only for non-veg mallus and who is used to native food - not for the KFC/McD/CCD kinda Peter-goshti.

@mallumowgli - google co-ordinates?
Old 8th July 2010, 22:50   #281
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Tried this restaurant called Drizzle last week, it's on ECR much before VGP towards your right if you are going towards VGP. What can I say about this place, I was greeted by Black walls, a dirty glass waterfall, and some really uncomfortable cussions. It is a European food kinda place but they do serve North Indian food as well, we ordered a butter chicken and naan, and some fish dish, which the chef recommended.

When the food arrived, the fish was embedded inside a hill of salad, I must say it looked good till when I actually found the fish inside the salad and put it in my mouth, pathetic, horrible was the word coming to my mind, it felt like chewing rubber and what hurt the most is the fact that it cost Rs.425, dont even want to comment about the other food.

A good place I found on ECR is Food Village, it comes on the right before VGP and after Prarthana theater. It serves mainly North Indian and Chinese. Must have is the Banjara fish, dragon gobi, Malai kofta. Generally love most of what he has to offer. I highly recommend it.

+1 to tuscana, bbq nation, Mainland China
Old 9th July 2010, 02:33   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Drizzle looks weird. I was wondering if they actually had "rainfall" inside! They've gone all out for a unique look, but, to me, it is not an inviting one.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:12   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hey Guys,

Tried this restaurant called Drizzle last week, it's on ECR much before VGP towards your right if you are going towards VGP. What can I say about this place, I was greeted by Black walls, a dirty glass waterfall, and some really uncomfortable cussions. It is a European food kinda place but they do serve North Indian food as well, we ordered a butter chicken and naan, and some fish dish, which the chef recommended.

When the food arrived, the fish was embedded inside a hill of salad, I must say it looked good till when I actually found the fish inside the salad and put it in my mouth, pathetic, horrible was the word coming to my mind, it felt like chewing rubber and what hurt the most is the fact that it cost Rs.425, dont even want to comment about the other food.

A good place I found on ECR is Food Village, it comes on the right before VGP and after Prarthana theater. It serves mainly North Indian and Chinese. Must have is the Banjara fish, dragon gobi, Malai kofta. Generally love most of what he has to offer. I highly recommend it.

+1 to tuscana, bbq nation, Mainland China
Even today's Times of India had a horrible review about this place.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:05   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mallumowgli - google co-ordinates?
Hotel Kalpaka : 13.046775 / 80.260478. This restaurant is listed in Google earth

@ Jeev : Aila fry used to be on the menu at Kalavara in Velachery By pass(Hope i got the name right). My fav parotta/aila curry was also available. This was more that 2 years back. Not sure about the situation now. May be velacherians can confirm

Last edited by mallumowgli : 9th July 2010 at 12:24. Reason: additional details added
Old 9th July 2010, 14:26   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
You should probably try Fishermans Fare opp to Don Bosco Egmore .They have lots of combos in sea foods
Yep, there is one in Anna Nagar too. Their sea food broth is to die for. Also the fish steak combo is mouth watering. Quality food in good ambience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks