Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2005, 13:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Hi,
Any good place to head out for a late dinner(12am+) in delhi where prices are not too absurd(olive/fbar etc., are for mafia people only) and also i can hang out safely with my wife(rules out the highway dhabas towards meerut/jaipur), and NH1 is too far away.
Also i found most good discs(Elevate etc.,) too ridiclously priced! 300 bucks for a 30ml bacardi! So whats the good places which you suggest. South delhi is an added advantage as i stay in noida!
Old 7th August 2005, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

well, most of the five star hotels have midnight buffets that are dirt cheap. Bristol in Gurgaon has one for sure.
Old 7th August 2005, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also i found most good discs(Elevate etc.,) too ridiclously priced! 300 bucks for a 30ml bacardi! So whats the good places which you suggest. South delhi is an added advantage as i stay in noida!
pretty much the same everywhere ..good crowd and expensive drinks are positively related .. cheaper place has crappy crowd ...
Aura in claridges has free entry on friday nights .. If you want to drink then why go to a club anyways ???
Old 7th August 2005, 18:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

umm, suppose we miss dinner somehow and then want to eat at 1am. Where to go! So for such times i'm looking for good places. Having booze is not a requirement, but a good accessory
Old 7th August 2005, 19:04   #5
BHPian

tsk, try pandara road at india gate. they have a lot of good restaurants there. not very expensive and are pretty populated (lots of families too) even late nights. so that's a safe and nice option, i guess. tk care.

manti.
Old 8th August 2005, 12:23   #6
BANNED

Hey, Another place is at the Nizamudin Railway station which is open 24 hrs and the food aint bad or expensive !! Also its a pretty safe but sure as hell no alcohol .. I'm forgettuing the name though as I havnt been there of late .

Cheers
Old 8th August 2005, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Hey TSK

The place near Nizamuddin Stn is fine. Typical "Haldiram" type of fare - called Kamosam or something like that - silly name, if you ask me. H'ever, it is safe and fairly decent.

The Barista near Priya used to remain open rather late too though not very sure.

Raddison in Noida also has a fair 24 hr shop - not expensive considering the late hours.

Bon Appetit!

Cheers
Old 31st August 2005, 17:10   #8
BHPian

hey, u ever tried dhabas @ sec. 37 crossing. they are open till very late, and are generally safe (haven't seen any untoward incident there in last 6-7 years). Quality of food is strictly OK, but hey they serve you food till 2 AM :-)

\N
Old 1st September 2005, 10:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

Is this the crossing with the petrol pump? To reach this you have to take right from atta crossing while coming from wave, and then keep going straight till you hit this crossing?
Old 1st September 2005, 10:53   #10
BHPian

bingo. when you are coming from centrestage mall, take a right turn, and go on till you reach another crossing (sec. 37 one), go straight and take a U-turn from the first gap in divider. There are 4-5 dhabas which are open till quire late. But I must warn you again there only USP is that they are open at un-earthy hours. Food quality is strictly OK and there's not much focus on hygeine.

\N
Old 25th May 2007, 14:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Ok guys, now since the Mumbai & Bangalore boys had their own thread on good eating places & all their discussion was making me hungry, I thought of starting a new thread for us guys!

Here are some of usual joints which I find good:

1. Al-Kauser Outer Ring Road/Chanakya Puri/Punjabi Bagh (Of course the crowd favourite in Delhi!)

2. Deez Biryani Defence Colony/Gurgaon/Preet Vihar - Amazing Mutton Biryani cooked & served in an authentic Clay pot, what aroma & taste!! Steer clear of their Seekh Kabas though.

3. Old man Karim's Jama Masjid/Noida/Nizamuddin/East of Kailash - Some great Mughlai Non-Veg food & very, very famous. Best food is still served in their Jama Masjid branch but it's a little in the interiors and the area is not everyone's cup of tea.

4. Culinaire GK-II, S-Block market - A small, quaint restaurant in GK-II S-block just up the road from M-Block market. Serves the finest Crispy Honey Chicken in town and good Chinese food too.

5. Punjabi By Nature Vasant Kunj/Noida/Punjabi Bagh - Excellent Mughlai again with the pick being the Kastoori Kebab, heavenly!!!

6. Khan Chacha - Located in a bylane in Khan Market, amzing rolls! The Mutton tikka is my personal favourite.

7. Baby Dragon - A small restaurant in Sec 18 market, Noida. Excellent Chinese & Thai curries, very reasonable too. Highly recommended!!

8. Big Chill, East of Kailash/Khan Market - A crowd favourite, though I don't like it much.

9. Shalom, GK-I N-Block Market - Amazing ambience and good food too! Perfect place to take your date to for a nice night out. Expensive though.

10. Kasbah, GK-I N-Block Market - The food is good there especially the Italian & Indian sections. Personal favourite is the thin crust Pepperoni Pizza, Yum!!!

Guys more to come from me later. Till then please add your favourite & recommmended joints here!

Last edited by iraghava : 25th May 2007 at 14:42.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

I will list the places which are very very cheap
1. Secular house canteen near IIT : Great food. 100rs for 2 if veg and 150 for 2 people if N-Veg.
2. Dhabas opposite IIFT : About to be closed down by Supreme court
3. Noida Sector 19 Brahmaputra complex (Great street food, rolls and such)
4. Bercos : Sec 12 Noida. Decent low price chinese food
5. Laxmi's cafe : Authentic Chennai food. Very bad on ambience, but even the famous south indian resturants of NCR do not serve such food. Its the actual south indian food, owned by a Tamil dude, all cooks also from south. Yummy mysore masala dosa and Chow chow bath. But beware there is 30-45 minutes waiting even on weekdays if you go at 9pm.

In the not so cheap our favorite is
1. Pandara road Gulati's
2. Yo china

Good punjabi food is available Karol Bagh side, but we fear to tread there. Dhaba food rocks.

Sometimes we drive to karnal late at night. Just before the toll gates there are Dhabas(including Zilmil) which have great food.
Our favorite one is before Zilmil and has a IOC petrol pump adjoining it. No address, but I do have GPS coordinates.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Once when in Delhi, friends had taken me out to one place called "Puppy Machchi Wala" or something where a burly sardar looking nothing like a puppy was churning out fresh fried seafood and meat by the quintal. I think it was near Rajouri Garden. There's a place like this is Bombay called 'Jai Jawan' opposite National College, Bandra. Killer fried prawns, and a 100% candidacy for bypass surgery.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Theres this Chur chur parantha wala, i've eaten at near lagpatnagar.
chola bathura at a place near karol baug where I stood in a queue to get a plate, and eat on the road!
Gopala at amar mahal colony market for the Best Rossogulas in INDIA[ so obviously the world]
Kachori/aloo saag and lassi at old delhi khari baawari, near kavarji
whats that Malcha marg restaurant which serves better murg makhani than the original moti mahal of dariya ganj[where I remember I had my First Murg Makhani at the young age of 9, 45 years back!!]
theres a shammi kabab person in jama masjid, not karims??
fish tikka guy near a cinema hall?
nothing to beat the Bukhara all year round, normally desire a crane to carry me out!!
Oh, Delhi is Paradise for Foodoholics in Winter
Im there in the last week of November for 10 days, only to indulge, already planned out and dates firmed.!!
Old 25th May 2007, 15:14   #15
BHPian

how can you forget "Khurana's" at Gaffer market. I am sure you must have tried it.

If you come towards Gurgaon from mehrauli side, there is a restaurant as "Sip N Bite". It is good and run by an old couple who offer discounts to senior citizens.

Most Viewed