Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 01:31   #1
BHPian

Suffered a serious life-changing accident

Few close medico friends knowing each other for more than thirty years, spread across the planet, planned to have a reunion at a National tiger reserve. Dates finalised, hotel booked, modes of travel defined and finally we met on 20 th November, 2022.

As expected it began on a thunderous note , had huge fun filled, time, safari embedded, local scenic drives, laughters in galore, reminiscences of college time maverick scenes, hidden heart throbs and on . It was indeed going the great way it was expected to be. That's how 20th and 21st November went away in a blur and finally we entered the 22nd the second last day of our dream sojourn.

Tiger safari was planned in the afternoon so we got up at a leisure pace, had a hearty brunch and after collectively praying for the afternoon prayers, we got ready for the afternoon safari. Now our hotel was located in a jungle atop a mountain and only way to travel between the base parking where our vehicles were parked and the hotel was by 4*4 vehicle usually open Gypsys provided by the hotels. It was probably a distance of of a km of a highly treacherous mountain road if one can call it so. It was an unpaved road put on a bit of shape with stones nothing else. Like a day before, as a natural and mountain lover, I decided to walk down this road till the place where it got connected with a paved road, where I would then board the 4*4 hotel car supposed to follow me a little later with some of my friends traveling in it. We were three friends who were walking that fateful day. Like the last time we were taking full precautions required for walking on such a path like sticking to the sides, keeping an eye, actually more an ear on the occasional vehicles coming down as due to harshness of the path they made cacophony of sounds and couldn't be missed. As any such vehicle approached, we could hear it from far way and took to side of a of the road well in time.

Now what I am going to tell you is not from memory but what my other two friends told later. Out of the three people walking, I was in the front, second one was keeping up with me with occasional rise of a gap of few yards, the one the rear used to fall back considerable by 8-10 yards or by a turn on the road. The one in the rear heard a vehicle coming down making lot of sounds, which we in the front must have heard too. It was coming with greater speed than usual and he had to jump aside. Then it reached us, with my friend who was just behind me barely could save himself and he gave me a shout too. But as far as I remember, I just saw a glimpse of a vehicle while responding to either with the vehicle's racy approach or the warning shout my friend made, before the vehicle hit me and the hilly side and tumbled partially over me.

My left leg was crushed and later somehow I got extricated out from under the vehicle. To his credit, driver didn't run away, the reason I am not sure, he hadn't suffered any serious injury. My other two friends were in shock, I was unconscious bleeding heavily and there was no help around. As there were no phone signals, somehow in another 20-25 minutes, my friends who were going to use 4*4 hotel vehicle, came to know about the incidents, though not exactly the extent reached me. They found that I was lying bleeding on the road with Jeep precariously hanging over me.

They mounted the resuscitation straightaway, though definitely hampered by the emotional trauma they were going through simultaneously. All were doctors but chiefly the job was taken over by the ICU intensivist and the orthopedic surgeon. Using the jackets they made a bed for me on the Isuzu V Max, especially provided by our hotel, used belts and shirts as tourniquets to try to stem the bleeding, while the car sped towards the nearest local town.

While doing this, luckily by the grace of the almighty, my intensivists friend's in-laws were from the first town we would reach in half an hour. They were called to be ready with all the resuscitation medical required, when we reached there. That done, we sped to the nearest big hospital, which was in a city, a solid 50 minutes drive from there where again our reception and the freehand my friends were given to manage me in their acute care are, was facilitated by my friend's in-laws. My friends literally took control of the ICU and tried to further resuscitate and stabilise me. CT scans of the body were done, to rule out any other injuries, which thankfully I escaped from, again through God's Providence only.

My wound was thoroughly examined and the decision was made to shift me to a higher centre in Delhi immediately, which was still fraught with risk. Once again a journey having unknown fate for me was started in the ambulance accomplished by two of my friends, the intensivist and the orthopedic surgeon. During the journey they tried to give me blood, which they couldn't as I had reaction. Finally, the ambulance reached at the doorsteps of the army base hospital, Delhi at 2200 hrs, which was decided to be the place I was to be taken to, during my journey to Delhi, in consultation with my wife who was at that time in Pune, the place of her posting.

The people were ready, and I was straight way taken to the OT and was operated upon. In next two days, with my condition deteriorating, the decision for below knee amputation was taken and was done through. After spending seven more days in ICU, finally I stabilised and was shifted to the officers ward. Since then, I am working through pain, wound healing and process of rehabilitation, while in the ward. I still have to go through operation for shoulder fracture.

Now after getting through the acute phase, the process for lodging the FIR has started. Some questions which are going to be asked are:
The bolero pickup which hit me, had no registration plate attached. Why?
Why was the pickup going so fast? Was it brake failure or the driver just lost the control?
Did the driver have any valid license?

The government collects so much money from us in the form of registration and other taxes and also fines us heavily when we commit a mistake. Now is it going to compensate me for failing to ensure a fit vehicle on the road, or for allowing an unregistered Vehicle to ply or may be a driver without a driving license.

Let's see, how it goes from here.

What will happen to with my new Jeep Compass manual, which had the first long drive then. I am sure I would be able to drive again, but when, how, what car. Is my passion for long drives over.

I have not mentioned the actual name of the hotel, or the place as there is going to be legal process starting soon.

Finally I request you all to pray for me as I am sure only prayers saved me.

Drive safe.

Sincere regards

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th December 2022 at 13:47. Reason: Typos fixed.
fawad0222 is offline   (298) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 05:55   #2
BHPian

re: Suffered a serious life-changing accident

Read your story in horror especially regarding the need for amputation which is definitely a life changing scenario as my dad ended up with a foot amputation around May this year and me and my brother have been making alternate bi- monthly visits to India to deal with many things but emotional element being the top one , most accidents are a combination of many factors but human error always plays a major role however it totally depends on how you wish to take it further and whether you wish to spend the energy in pursuing a legal challenge towards the various authorities you mentioned , best bet to review whether the hotel owns the pathway where you had the accident and what steps they have taken to keep the pathway safe as they definitely are responsible for the guests safety around their hotel premise , review your insurance to check if any coverage is in place for life changing injuries and potentially pursue that route too , finally do not underestimate the emotional feelings and best to get some professional help to deal with the outcome of the accident and yes you were extremely lucky to have the right set of people around you in your time if need as people have lost lives for minor accidents due to lack of timely help. Best wishes to you and you will be in our prayers - get well soon Fawad

Last edited by vickzkool : 12th December 2022 at 05:57.
vickzkool is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 08:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My prayers for you for a early and full recovery. May God give you strength to successfully complete the rehabilitation process. Thank you for sharing this experience.
V.Narayan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 09:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

My best wishes and prayers for your speedy and full recovery. No amount of words can soothe the pain or bring back the loss that you have experienced, both physically and emotionally. Given that its just about 2 weeks since you underwent this traumatic experience, having your family around is one of the best panacea to overcome the terrible situation and try to think in terms of immediate next steps.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:30   #5
BHPian

My Prayer's for you making quick and full recovery. Thank you for sharing this experience inspite all the personal pain you are going through.
Arun_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:53   #6
BHPian

Re: Suffered a serious life-changing accident

I couldn't even read your story without feeling your pain. Have no words that might help you. Just praying you get the strength and energy you need. That bolero driver MUST be severely punished unless it was brake failure in which case he must be heavily fined for the lack of vehicle fitness as well as missing registration plate. The vehicle MUST be impounded at the very least
akg7091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Agonising to read through your trauma.
You, your family and your friends went through it. I can't comprehend that.
Post the accident, a lot of things went in your favour for you to survive the tragedy or as you said God's grace.

I don't have answers to your questions, hope that someday we do.
The vehicle related queries can be answered when you're ready to drive, hopefully soon.

Wishing a speedy recovery.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:00   #8
BHPian

Wish you a speedy and full recovery.
One piece of advice is that in accordance with FIR, the case is registered against the erring driver and would take years for the sentencing. Any punishment or fine would be to the driver. Check with a legal adviser as you may be required to file a separate civil case against the driver to cover for your losses - financial, medical or others attributed to the accident.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:18   #9
BHPian

Prayers for you!

Fear not how the life will change,
Fear not how the world will sway,
Keep the heart calm, let not your mind play,
Spring will follow once the pain goes away.
SlowDough is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Reading through your ordeal, I could visualise what all was going on. It was indeed great to have help at hand immediately as well as in the golden hour.

An acquaintance suffered a similar injury with similar end result just when lockdown was being slowly released. His injury was suffered at the high seas, thankfully just the leg. Had he been standing a few inches to his either side, it could have been fatal. He was airlifted and all necessary action taken. Now he is at a desk job in same organization but is walking around with his prosthetic limb. Yes, there was emotional trauma but he has recovered and is well past that. He is actively enjoying his life.

Life can throw challenges when we expect the least. And you will definitely come out of this with flying colours.
BoneCollector is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Gosh! What a terrible ordeal for you and your family + friends. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. God bless you!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Wish you a speedy recovery. Although not extremely spiritual, I do believe in the existence of higher power and I pray to this power to ease your burden and get you on the road to recovery. My perspective when it comes to disasters has always been that, there could have been a worse situation and secondly, if it was fated to happen, it will and finally it makes you so much tougher to face life.

You are indeed lucky to be surrounded by such great friends and well-wishers. Good luck
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

That was a terrible read. Really feel so sorry for what you have gone through. You will gain strength, time heals. I pray for your speedy recovery. Hats off to your friends who were there when you needed them them the most. True friends indeed.

Regarding the questions you have asked, it's really shady on how the police will proceed. You will have to file an FIR in the PS that the jurisdiction it comes under. If the driver is in contact and you know how/where to find him, you can just mention his name in the FIR. Otherwise, it will be a very difficult task for the police (not that they will actively take it up). Also, the police react only when there is a death in an accident (sorry to be so straight). Otherwise, they try to keep both parties in consultation and chalk out a compromise. If a compromise doesn't work out, they will pull out the poor chap/family man/has kids card and try to hush up the whole matter. The guy will meet you multiple times and try to seek sympathy. On the whole, the entire Police/court matter will be long drawn, test your patience and in the end will yield pretty little. I have been in these matters earlier and trust me, it's not worth our efforts. You are in pain right now, you need some positive happenings around you. Be with your family, friends and loved ones. I am not discouraging you to proceed with it legally. Just get an FIR filed first and then see how things proceed. Some policemen are really good and do their duty well. Get a lawyer who understands your situation well. Good luck and wish you a full speedy recovery.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:52   #14
BHPian

You have great courage to pen this down inspite of the pain you are going through.

Be brave in these times.
Don't let negativity seep in.
Don't have animosity towards anyone, even the driver who did this. It is easier said than done, I know.

Will pray for your quick recovery.
Capri89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:36   #15
BHPian

This was so difficult to read, the most difficult being the sheer randomness of it. It could have been any one of us!

I salute your courage and steadfastness in the face of this mishap. I'm not sure I would be able to.
lordtottuu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks