Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2022, 11:36   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suffered a serious life-changing accident

This is so sad. I commend your positive outlook in the face of adversity, Dr. Fawad. Hope you recover very quickly and resume your normal life.

Accountability of drivers for accidents caused due to their fault is something sadly missing in this country. But I wish you luck in pursuing this legally so that you may get some closure.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 16:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post

Finally I request you all to pray for me as I am sure only prayers saved me.
Deeply anguished by the news of your unfortunate accident dear Dr Fawad.

Our prayers to the Almighty to heal your body soon and bless your mind and soul with the strength to overcome this tough period of recovery. We pray for your healthy and happy life and future, and May you find solace in the bounties of the Almighty, which he has blessed you with to garner the strength to live a life full of gratitude and contentment.

Ameen
JS Kwt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 20:17   #63
BHPian

Fawad, You are an incredibly brave person. Having gone through what you have, to articulate everything with so much clarity takes a lot of courage and equanimity. I would still say that even with the misfortune that invaded you, at least you were lucky, you were in the midst of your Doctor friends. I shudder to think, had they been commoners, the initial interventions, so very important (I presume) would not have been there. We all will pray for you. I am sure you will heal, and will be able to drive. Your battle will remain in our thoughts and prayers.
Dibyendu Bose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 00:07   #64
BHPian

First and Foremost, Thank you so much, for sharing this. It takes a lot of courage and resllience to post it with the group. Life is unpredictable and as a doctor by profession I know you would have a much better understanding of it than many of us due to the sheer number of such cases you would have come across or heard about. Time heals or at least reduces the pain however bad it may be. It's going to be a fight with your mind more than anything and I pray you get the all the strength to get through this phase. Try to be positive as much as possible. As much as this whole thing sucks, you were lucky to have your friends at the time when you needed them the most. Most are not blessed with such friends and even if they are, they may not have them around at such a critical time. Wishing you a quick recovery.
sbkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 20:38   #65
BHPian

Hello Dear Friends, Hope you all are doing well. Finally got enough strength, right mood and in almost no pain( thanks God), to come back on the forum and talk to you again. when I wrote the thread down here, my biggest aim was to get some sincere wishes, TLC from fellow BHPians, which I really did
and this really made a considerable difference to my emotions in a positive way. THANK YOU. Now I will be replying to few of the posts on the thread, totally depending on the need, otherwise I am equally grateful to each one of you. Also since the thread is a pretty long one at least for me, I shall be doing multiple posts over few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
]Read your story in horror especially regarding the need for amputation which is definitely a life changing scenario as my dad ended up with a foot amputation around May this year and me and my brother have been making alternate bi- monthly visits to India to deal with many things but emotional element being the top one , most accidents are a combination of many factors but human error always plays a major role however it totally depends on how you wish to take it further and whether you wish to spend the energy in pursuing a legal challenge towards the various authorities you mentioned , best bet to review whether the hotel owns the pathway where you had the accident and what steps they have taken to keep the pathway safe as they definitely are responsible for the guests safety around their hotel premise , review your insurance to check if any coverage is in place for life changing injuries and potentially pursue that route too , finally do not underestimate the emotional feelings and best to get some professional help to deal with the outcome of the accident and yes you were extremely lucky to have the right set of people around you in your time if need as people have lost lives for minor accidents due to lack of timely help. Best wishes to you and you will be in our prayers - get well soon Fawad
Thanks Vickzcool for your reply and some key advice. Sorry to know about your father. Hope he is now better and comfortable with the rehabilitation process post amputation.
Yes, I am keeping a close eye on my emotional status, will definitely take professional help, if I feel the slightest need.
About the path, I think, though I am not sure, that the path is being used by other hotels and some local people.
I will definitely pursue the legal course but will be rational about how to go about it or how long.
No doubts, I had those people around me at the time of accident whom, If I were given a choice, I would have opted for. Take care
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
I couldn't even read your story without feeling your pain. Have no words that might help you. Just praying you get the strength and energy you need. That bolero driver MUST be severely punished unless it was brake failure in which case he must be heavily fined for the lack of vehicle fitness as well as missing registration plate. The vehicle MUST be impounded at the very least
Dear akg709, thankyou for having felt my pain. Perhaps internally this was what I wanted, the words of empathy. I am definitely pursuing legal course.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Agonising to read through your trauma.
You, your family and your friends went through it. I can't comprehend that.
Post the accident, a lot of things went in your favour for you to survive the tragedy or as you said God's grace.

I don't have answers to your questions, hope that someday we do.
The vehicle related queries can be answered when you're ready to drive, hopefully soon.

Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dear shanncz, thanks for your reply. You are absolutely right, but not only post accident but preaccidents also few things already had happened, which helped me survive this ordeal. To quote one, one of my friend, an intensivist, working abroad, who was the one who kept his head most balanced, whose expertise was most apt for my situation, hence he stayed with me all the time till I reached the hospital in Delhi, was not supposed to come, he had already visited India in October and had to come again in December but still on my pursuasion he came. Above all he was not part of the circle of closest friends for the rest of the people who were coming and they were apprehensive about it and had told me, that I should not have invited him. Also his inlaws being local, provided great logistics support too. So destiny!!
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Wish you a speedy and full recovery.
One piece of advice is that in accordance with FIR, the case is registered against the erring driver and would take years for the sentencing. Any punishment or fine would be to the driver. Check with a legal adviser as you may be required to file a separate civil case against the driver to cover for your losses - financial, medical or others attributed to the accident.
Dear Amrik Singh, thanks for your reply. I am going to engage a legal advisor and have already started the process of filing the fir.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDough View Post
Prayers for you!

Fear not how the life will change,
Fear not how the world will sway,
Keep the heart calm, let not your mind play,
Spring will follow once the pain goes away.
Dear SlowDough,
What a beautiful set of lines, you sent my way. Thankyou. They really convey about what is the need of the hour.
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Wish you a speedy recovery. Although not extremely spiritual, I do believe in the existence of higher power and I pray to this power to ease your burden and get you on the road to recovery. My perspective when it comes to disasters has always been that, there could have been a worse situation and secondly, if it was fated to happen, it will and finally it makes you so much tougher to face life.

You are indeed lucky to be surrounded by such great friends and well-wishers. Good luck
Dear subraiyr, thanks for your kind words, for they do matter. Fate, destiny, higher power, my story definitely commands their use. To me, it was destined to happen and then I was fated to be saved. And yes, I hope that the current situation will definitely make me a tougher cookie to crack.
Thanks Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Wishing you a quick recovery.

Reading through your ordeal, I could visualise what all was going on. It was indeed great to have help at hand immediately as well as in the golden hour.

An acquaintance suffered a similar injury with similar end result just when lockdown was being slowly released. His injury was suffered at the high seas, thankfully just the leg. Had he been standing a few inches to his either side, it could have been fatal. He was airlifted and all necessary action taken. Now he is at a desk job in same organization but is walking around with his prosthetic limb. Yes, there was emotional trauma but he has recovered and is well past that. He is actively enjoying his life.

Life can throw challenges when we expect the least. And you will definitely come out of this with flying colours.
Dear Bone Collector, Thanks for your post. Its morale boosting to know that your acquaintance is now enjoying the life again. Thanks for sharing this with me.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
That was a terrible read. Really feel so sorry for what you have gone through. You will gain strength, time heals. I pray for your speedy recovery. Hats off to your friends who were there when you needed them them the most. True friends indeed.

Regarding the questions you have asked, it's really shady on how the police will proceed. You will have to file an FIR in the PS that the jurisdiction it comes under. If the driver is in contact and you know how/where to find him, you can just mention his name in the FIR. Otherwise, it will be a very difficult task for the police (not that they will actively take it up). Also, the police react only when there is a death in an accident (sorry to be so straight). Otherwise, they try to keep both parties in consultation and chalk out a compromise. If a compromise doesn't work out, they will pull out the poor chap/family man/has kids card and try to hush up the whole matter. The guy will meet you multiple times and try to seek sympathy. On the whole, the entire Police/court matter will be long drawn, test your patience and in the end will yield pretty little. I have been in these matters earlier and trust me, it's not worth our efforts. You are in pain right now, you need some positive happenings around you. Be with your family, friends and loved ones. I am not discouraging you to proceed with it legally. Just get an FIR filed first and then see how things proceed. Some policemen are really good and do their duty well. Get a lawyer who understands your situation well. Good luck and wish you a full speedy recovery.
Dear Raghu M, thanks for your kind words and advice.
Sure first priority is my health and I am focusing on that, but I have already started the process of filing FIR as well. Will take one thing at a time. Let's see.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
You have great courage to pen this down inspite of the pain you are going through.

Be brave in these times.
Don't let negativity seep in.
Don't have animosity towards anyone, even the driver who did this. It is easier said than done, I know.

Will pray for your quick recovery.
Dear Capri89, thanks for some positive words. Actually to my own surprise, I am not feeling much animosity or negativity towards the driver. I have taken this accident as something ordained by God and God never does anything without having something good for the subject. Or perhaps my sins have been a bit compensated for. But pursuing a legal course has many other angles as well
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
This was so difficult to read, the most difficult being the sheer randomness of it. It could have been any one of us!

I salute your courage and steadfastness in the face of this mishap. I'm not sure I would be able to.
Dear lordtottuu, Totally agree with you about randomness of the accident. I have been daily bicycling to my work place for last two years, where, a part of it had to go though high way and my return was always in the dark hours. Nothing happened
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
It's unbelievable almost. I am no expert but assuming that you are a strong and courageous person, you can still do almost everything. You just need to give yourself sometime.
On the action by administration I don't think there is any point left discussing.

May God give you strength to overcome this unfortunate life changing event!
Dear Honda Monk, perhaps it's my time to become slightly Monklike and think about life, fate, destiny. Thanks for the encouragement.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Kudos to you; just being able to post about this here so soon after the incident is testament to your mental fortitude. Best wishes and good luck with the ongoing recovery.

Kudos also to your friends, for putting emotions aside in an obviously traumatic situation, and letting their medical training kick in. That probably made an existential difference in your favor.

You're very fortunate in a lot of ways. I hope that stays the theme for your recovery and post-recovery life.
Dear Cheyan_ Rao, thanks for your reply. You are right I have been lucky in so many ways in this entire accident and thereafter. I am thankful to God for sparing my life and for bestowing me with such great friends and family.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery.

An FIR should be registered against the driver who was surely speeding. Was it a pvt road only used by the Hotel?
Working on the FIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
My friend said some years ago that 'life is certainly uncertain'. You are happy and enjoying one moment and in the next few moments things change drastically. Luck might be cruel at times. But worry not my friend, for you are surrounded by amazing friends, family and support system. Admire your grit in sharing with fellow members. This alone has saved you from thinking negatively. Many experienced folks are sharing their stories and wishing you speedy recovery. Sometimes, we have to take life head on. Consider this as one such.

Ours is a crazy country where rules apply to only select few who can cough up the fine amount. Laws reserved to serve the elite and connected ones. In all this, you need to keep a calm mind and make your next move. So focus on recovery, be prepared to forgive & let go if the time and energy spent would not be proportional to outcome. Stay close to positive people. You being in a noble profession, goodwill will always protect you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery
HTC
Dear HTC, thanks for such enlightened advice. Your words carry great wisdom and I will definitely remember them.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
It's terrible. I wish you a speedy recovery. What could have been a memorable event turned into a tragic life-changing nightmare. Kudos to your friends who acted in time and used their professional experience to save your life. I am sure the law will take its course and the guilty parties will be taken to the task.

I would like to encourage you to take up the changed circumstances of your life head on and tackle it. I know easier said than done, but have faith. You are a believer, you will come out of this. You don't have to give up your dream and your passion for long drives. You may have to switch to automatics, or make adjustments to the car. Things will work out.

Get well soon!
Dear Yashg, I don't know whether I am taking the life head on but I have only one option available to me that's to move forward, go through the process of rehabilitation and endure the pain and take on the challenges which everyday life brings on. I am surely trying to do it. Yours and other fellow bhpians' kind words and advice would go a long way in helping me do it.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Really sorry and horrified to read about your ordeal. Really glad that you pulled through from what was a life-threatening condition.

Take care of your health first, let the legal process take its own course. Don't worry about it too much for now.

It could be a lengthy rehabilitation process but I am in no doubt that You WOULD be able to drive again and follow your passion. Passion never dies, you just have to take a pause to regroup and rejuvenate before you are back on your feet again, literally, have faith.

Remember "Tough situations don't last but tough people do". You are one hell of a tough cookie to pull through that situation.

I would leave you with one quote:

“It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed.”— Doe Zantamata

Get well soon, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Best wishes,
- Someone who was bedridden for a week, less than a year ago, unable to walk for 3 months, was advised to not even think about his passion for running and instead just focus on walking by 5 different MDs, Orthopedics. I was advised to be ready for surgeries in near future and actually underwent surgery and am on ongoing medication. But, I decided to pursue my passion for running, no matter what the cost. Since then, I ran the highest Half Marathon in the world in Ladakh, ran the toughest city Half Marathon at Hyderabad, and the Ultra hill marathon in Satara all within one year. It seemed an impossible dream when bedridden but recently I ran a 10 k in 54 minutes and Half Marathon in 2 hours and 4 minutes !!

So, have Faith and with your determination, you would be able to overcome any obstacle, it's only a matter of time.
Dear Scorpworp, you are truly an inspiration, my dear friend. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep it up and I am really inspired. May be someday we may bump across in one of those runs.
Take care,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith_cbz View Post
Fawad, I am sorry you had to go through such traumatic experience and suffered so much. The only silver lining during this tragedy is that you were surrounded by many health care professionals also your friends without which it would have been worse. Many thanks to them.

I am glad you are doing better now and have the strength to share the experience with us. As someone who has experienced something similar within family I would say the road to recovery is very long and you should be patient with the progress. There will be good days and bad days and sometimes it is one step forward and two steps forward. BUT you are going to have your full life back soon and have all the autonomy over your body and can do everything and anything you want to do. You just have to do relearn and rewire some of the ways in which you accomplish things. Prosthetics have come a long way and you can even participate in marathons if you wish to. Some people have more active lifestyle and quality of life after the tragedy than before.

Also please consider therapy or counselling for PTSD along with your physical and occupational therapy. This is one of the most neglected aspect of injuries of such nature and one never know when the psychological trauma hits us after a time. I personally regret not giving enough attention to this aspect after my own injury.

Coming to your driving, that should be the least of your worry for time being. For immediate future I would suggest you keep your compass but hire a chauffeur who will drive you around until many aspects of your injury are left behind. Once you feel better and ready physically I suggest you buy any automatic vehicle of your choice and adapt to it.

Another lucky factor is it's the left leg rather than right leg which is one uses for driving an automatic. I think within few months you can be back to driving fully and can undertake long drives progressively.

Please keep us posted with your progress and take us along on your journey to normalcy. My prayers and wishes for your recovery and hope you get quick justice in your legal fight.
Dear Ranjith_cbz,
I am really thankful to you for sharing such insights about similiar situation. Such advice is worth its weight in gold. I will surely give due importance to each of them.
I will come out with another post on how is my current progress challenges I met and so on, soon.
Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 5th January 2023 at 22:25. Reason: Quote tag fixed
fawad0222 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fawad, happy to see that you are feeling better. I am sure you will be back to routine soon considering your positive attitude. Charlie Munger would be proud of you for facing adversity in the right way. All the best brother.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 20:15   #67
BHPian

Hello Dear BHPians,
This is my second post of replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
When I read "life-changing" in the title I thought you had suffered an accident which gave you a new perspective on life.
I can only offer my best wishes and prayers.
Dear Starry sky, there is nothing more valuable than a sincere prayer and I thank you for that.
I do await to learn a new perspective onlife in the coming times. I am indeed endowed with a great set of friends and I thank God for that.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_vwagner View Post
I wish you a speedy recovery Dr. Fawad. My thoughts and prayers with you and your family as i type this. Please do look after yourself and if needed take, please take help from a counsellor. This does help in overall recovery.

Also, with the technology seeing a lot of advance, i am sure you will be able to drive your compass again. If there is anything we can assist you with, please do let us know.
Dear Sameer_vwagner, Thank you for your kind offer of help. Such genuine feelings would really help me pull through.
Regards

[quote=famousshoes;5455857]You are incredibly courageous Fawad and inspirational!
I'm definite that you will make a quick recovery.
Like many others on this thread i am filled with pain and anger at the carelessness of the pickup driver and also at the system that caused this accident. Some times we may not find meaningful answers to things that happen to us in life, I hope you find the will to carry on and get back into your life with renewed vigour. /QUOTE]
Dear Famousshoes, thanks for an emotive reply. Your words of encouragement and your own personal experience, inspire me to dig in and pull through. Your prayers would definitely help me a lot.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. Truly a shocking accident. Kudos to you for being very positive and this will help you with a faster recovery.
Prayers for peace and inner strength as you slowly come back to your new normal life. Hope you will get justice soon.
Dear sgm, thanks for your kind wishes. Yes I understand it will be a new normal, when I reach there god willing.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Yesterday I attended a function organized by OGQ {Olympic Gold Quest} an NGO that funds the training and supports athletes and para athletes in many ways. Yesterday's function had several para-Olympians who had won a medal for India at Tokyo..
Dear Narayan Sir,
Now only i can begin to understand, not only the kind of efforts but the mental strength required by these athletes participating in such events. Thankyou for the prayers as they are indeed the single most important thing for me.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
Wishing you a speedy recovery Fawad.

I can only share one of the most inspiring poems I’ve read, written by someone who was in a similar situation as yours. He was recovering from surgery as his one foot had already undergone amputation.

Keep the faith my friend. You have taken what life has thrown at you with great courage. Keep at it. You are the captain of your ship and master of your soul.

Invictus
BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
Dear Evyas, Thanks for sending my way such genuinely motivating words. Your whole post is one big dose of encouragement for people who need it most. Add to that, the poem is very touching especially when written by someone in similar circumstances as mine.
Thank you, my dear friend!
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Tough break sir. Very tough indeed. But sir, you are tougher. You are a machine. In fact, you are better than a machine. To go through such trauma and to have the clarity to collect and organise your thoughts, and then to make a decision to reach out and tap this community for catharsis / help / advise… that is better than what 99% of folk out there would have done. In all likelihood, most people in your position would be wallowing in victimhood (and really who can blame them if they do so?!).
Best Wishes
Dear Mohanstrides, I am really finding it difficult on how to reply to your such a powerful, emotion filled, morale boosting post. I am no MACHINE but a mere mortal who wanted to have some sincere, real words of encouragement which would make me feel good and positively oriented. Your post did just that.
Thankyou.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
I too will pray for your speedy recovery. You have a great set of friends, please thank them on behalf of this community.

'Allahumma ajirnee fee museebati waqluflee qairan minhaa' (Oh God, reward me for the affliction and give me something better in exchange)
Dear tchsvy, thanks for sending such a powerful prayer my way. Surely I will let my friends know about the compliments coming their way from such an exalted group of people.
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
You name the place and time brother, and we shall all be there to make that drive happen, whatever it takes. Stay well, stay strong & get better every day.
Dear friend Newtown, I am definitely going to take up your offer and have some great time soon.
Thankyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No words to react to this traumatic event. Just gratitude to God that you are getting better & have managed to recover your spirits faster than most would surely.
Good luck Fawad, get better & well quick. For sure - every member / non member reader of this post will have your health in the prayers.
Dear Reinhard, Prayers count most and I thank you for sending them my way. I am afraid next new car is still some distance away for the Compass is still very young and inviting.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
As a fellow Above Knee Amputee, the most important thing is NOT to ponder on what happened and single-mindedly look forward to life as an adventure where you get to learn new ways to do old things the best way suitable to you.

Treat Rehabilitation as more of an adventure and learn to appreciate the body dynamics. The doctors and Physiotherapists would work based on theory and you are in the best position to drive the ergonomics. Get an artificial leg and enjoy life from the present day on.
Dear Careind, Thanks for your critical inputs as a fellow amputee and I find them very important for me too. I will keep them close to me.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal_Eagle View Post
"Tough times don't last but tough men do",do not forget to sue the safari organisers. It is appalling when people tend to take other's lives for granted, they sure need to be taught a lesson. I also hope that the driver is booked for rash and negligent driving with an intention to cause injury/death, but ironically the driver would get away with maximum sentence of 6 months in prison or a meagre fine or both
Dear Legal_Eagle, thanks for giving the inputs from the legal angle. Incidentally Safari organizers had no role in the accident. I was actually going down the mountain to reach the safari location. It's the driver and the vehicle which should be in focus.
Regards

Last edited by fawad0222 : 7th January 2023 at 20:20.
fawad0222 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 02:54   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Reading this, Dr Fawad, has shocked me deeply. I will refrain from comment. I will only wish you a deeply sincere ‘get well soon’ and you will certainly pull through with the grace of the almighty. Don’t stop fighting. Don’t give up. Take strength from this community and others. Collectively a lot of people are on your side.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:55   #69
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
Finally I am on to my last few replies. Once again I emphasize that every single reply of all bhpians to my thread, provided me solace, encouragement and peace, though I might not have not responded to all of them here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Deeply anguished by the news of your unfortunate accident dear Dr Fawad.

Our prayers to the Almighty to heal your body soon and bless your mind and soul with the strength to overcome this tough period of recovery. We pray for your healthy and happy life and future, and May you find solace in the bounties of the Almighty, which he has blessed you with to garner the strength to live a life full of gratitude and contentment.

Ameen
Dear JS Kwt , Ameen to your prayer. I am indeed in gratitude of the almighty for having blessed me with such wonderful friends and for them being there, when needed.
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibyendu Bose View Post
Fawad, You are an incredibly brave person. Having gone through what you have, to articulate everything with so much clarity takes a lot of courage and equanimity. I would still say that even with the misfortune that invaded you, at least you were lucky, you were in the midst of your Doctor friends. I shudder to think, had they been commoners, the initial interventions, so very important (I presume) would not have been there. We all will pray for you. I am sure you will heal, and will be able to drive. Your battle will remain in our thoughts and prayers.
Dear Dibyendu,
Thanks for your post. I am indeed lucky to have such wonderful friends and then being there when it mattered most.
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
First and Foremost, Thank you so much, for sharing this. It takes a lot of courage and resllience to post it with the group. Life is unpredictable and as a doctor by profession I know you would have a much better understanding of it than many of us due to the sheer number of such cases you would have come across or heard about. Time heals or at least reduces the pain however bad it may be. It's going to be a fight with your mind more than anything and I pray you get the all the strength to get through this phase. Try to be positive as much as possible. As much as this whole thing sucks, you were lucky to have your friends at the time when you needed them the most. Most are not blessed with such friends and even if they are, they may not have them around at such a critical time. Wishing you a quick recovery.
Dear sbkumar,
Thanks for your encouraging words. You are right that I have to keep myself positive and the real battle is in the mind. I am finding them true.
Regards
Fawad

Last edited by fawad0222 : 14th January 2023 at 18:57.
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 14:07   #70
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Good afternoon. With the Auto Expo underway and now the much anticipated launch of Royal Enfield's Super Meteor, everybody must be having some contented days.
As promised, I am back with an update on my health status, especially the rehabilitation part. As you all know, I suffered major accident, should I call it the road one, since it was not a road but rather a mountain trail, where i was hit by an out of control and speeding bolero pickup, while walking down to the road, It happened in uttarakhand, around Jim Corbett National Park, where i had gone with my close friends for a reunion. I was picked up and resuscitated by my friends and taken to army base hospital, delhi. I was operated upon there and due to worsening vitals signs, finally with my consent, my left limb, below knee had to be amputated. This much you all know already.

To continue from there, I spent forty days in the hospital. My stump needed reexploration a few times and finally completely healed with reluctance, after about a week from discharge. My rehabilitation in terms of the affected limb had already started at the hospital and when I was discharged I could walk a little bit with the support of a an elbow stick using a temporary limb prosthesis. As I had a left shoulder fracture also, I was operated again once I had stabilised before the discharge and the shoulder was internally fixed. This also made my rehab. a bit difficult too as I could not take support of the shoulder of the dominant side, while doing any chores or simply trying to walk. During the stay in the hospital my mood remained stable and i was pretty upbeat as well, with the dominant thought that what happened was God's will and I had to accept it and thank him to spare my life or damage to some vital organs.. My close family members were always around and friends, relatives, people from the work place, acquaintances either paid visit to me or kept in touch. Also my post here generated some sincere and well meaning advice, kind words and prayers. I was surprised to learn that a few kind words, make so much of an impact when a person is down and out. Thankyou everyone! The day, I was discharged, I started feeling a bit down under, as perhaps I had settled to a routine in the hospital or it might have been the anxiety of facing the world in my altered state, though I am not sure. After meeting my ailing mother, who is unfortunately bed ridden and almost comatose at Aligarh, for a day, I shifted to Pune along with my wife and daughter. The plan was further rehabilitation at Artificial Limb Centre, Army, while staying with my family. Initial few days were very tough physically, as every otherwise routine activity for me was an entirely a new one but with the active support of my better half, slowly things started falling in place and now I can proudly say that, I can take care of myself almost completely for my daily chores. Here again my mental state kept oscillating between being confident and stable to feeling a bit helpless and wondering how would I fare in the life. My days were better, with myself being busy with my exercise but evenings were difficult, both physically due to neuropathic and phantom pains as well as emotionally. As I was well aware that I had only one direction to go that is forward, I persisted with the routine and things started easing slowly but definitely. I found each passing day to be better than the last one in every way and three days back finally I reached the state where for the first time I felt like getting up early, put on the prosthesis, finish my chores all by myself without disturbing my wife. Then I went out and moved in and around the lawn, looked at the flowers, searched for some new birds on the trees. I felt like my original, old myself raring to go out in the world again. My so called handicap, no longer worried me unduly as I had realised that I needed to accept it as a part of my new reality. I also had the self assurance that as the child learns to walk on two legs slowly, I also would be able to adjust to my new physical state successfully, of course God willing. Since then you all will be happy to know that life is on the uptick.
The permanent prosthesis is coming my way in a few days too, which would definitely make my progress faster, easier and more comfortable than ever before. I forgot to mention that I also have taken to myself to teach my daughter some mathematics everyday too, taking the advantage of staying with her for an extended period of time finally.
On the legal front, I have been trying to get the FIR registered but have found it difficult so far, primarily due to my being not there. I have not given up and I am hopeful that it would be done in a few days. I have also decided to take the help of a local lawyer and the search is on.
I have decided to keep the Jeep Compass till my rehab. is complete and I am able to explore if were able to handle it.
Once again I am eternally thankful to my friends who played single most important role to save my life, my wife who remained as steady as a rock, my son and daughter, who took my situation very positively, my two brothers who were always by my side, relatives, my college seniors, juniors, teachers, colleagues, who always encouraged me and supported me.
My future plans;
1. My bucket list includes to be an avid nature lover, spend life in and around jungles, click some sharp photographs and work for conservation of nature.
2. Make a transcontinental trip with my friends, either on bikes or cars.
3. Explore my country more from the ravines of the chambals, to deserts and havelis & forts of Rajasthan, doars of North Bengal, discover north east and interact with its wonderful people.
4. I also wish to interact with the sadhus, nagas and learn more about them.
5. I also want to start a startup, what, where and when, yet to find.

With this I finish my post and update. I know, its still early days for me and I have a along way to go. I request everyone to keep on preying for me, providing your invaluable advice and inputs.
Thanks everyone for patiently reading it and standing by me.

sincere regards
Fawad

Request moderators to either keep this post on the same thread or post it separately so that it reaches everyone, especially those who wrote on my thread. Thanks

Last edited by fawad0222 : 19th January 2023 at 14:19.
fawad0222 is offline   (121) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 15:38   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As promised, I am back with an update on my health status, especially the rehabilitation part.
Wish you the very best in your recovery! Pune has a very active bunch of BHPians; watch out for meets planned!

Take care, and more power to you!

Quote:
I have decided to keep the Jeep Compass till my rehab. is complete and I am able to explore if were able to handle it.
Perhaps you could explore something like this? Should be easier to explore since you are now based in Pune.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...stalled-4.html (My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!)
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 15:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wish you the very best in your recovery! Pune has a very active bunch of BHPians; watch out for meets planned!

Take care, and more power to you!

Perhaps you could explore something like this? Should be easier to explore since you are now based in Pune.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...stalled-4.html (My Hyundai Tucson: Hand-operated Clutch installed!)
Dear Libranof,

Thanks for your reply. The thread which you have suggested definitely gives an idea about the possibilities for adjustment. I have shifted to Pune temporarily as my wife is posted here and I could do rehabilitation as well stay with my family. I will have to go back to Aligarh after the rehab. Perhaps similar job is being done in Delhi and around. Will definitely check.

Regards
Old 19th January 2023, 22:53   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Then I went out and moved in and around the lawn, looked at the flowers, searched for some new birds on the trees. I felt like my original, old myself raring to go out in the world again. My so called handicap, no longer worried me unduly as I had realised that I needed to accept it as a part of my new reality. I also had the self assurance that as the child learns to walk on two legs slowly, I also would be able to adjust to my new physical state successfully, of course God willing. Since then you all will be happy to know that life is on the uptick
Hallo Fawad
So nice to read your eloquently written account and very glad to hear that life has begun looking up for you. Cheers to that!
Here is an interesting talk by Dr.V.S. Ramachandran that i heard many years ago and immediately recalled when you mentioned phantom pain.
Hope it may be of help.

https://www.ted.com/talks/vs_ramacha...in?language=en

He talks about phantom pain from 9:15

Also great to know that youre using this time to spend time with your daughter and helping her with learning. Do keep us updated on your progress. Wishing you the very best and hope to catch up with you when i m in pune next.
famousshoes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 13:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
Hallo Fawad
So nice to read your eloquently written account and very glad to hear that life has begun looking up for you. Cheers to that!
Here is an interesting talk by Dr.V.S. Ramachandran that i heard many years ago and immediately recalled when you mentioned phantom pain.
Hope it may be of help.

https://www.ted.com/talks/vs_ramacha...in?language=en

He talks about phantom pain from 9:15

Also great to know that youre using this time to spend time with your daughter and helping her with learning. Do keep us updated on your progress. Wishing you the very best and hope to catch up with you when i m in pune next.
Dear famousshoes, Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the reference, I will definitely go through it. Just DM me and drop in, whenever you are in Pune. It will be great to meet you and share some time with you.

regards
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:27   #75
BHPian

hi fawad, from your account of the accident i surmise that it was your left leg that was amputated. If that is so, then driving an Automatic is no big deal because one doesn't use the left leg. easy peasy.
On the other hand, a manual transmission might take a bit of effort but absolutely possible without any modification to the vehicle, which is what one would want because it keeps the option open to travel the world and drive anywhere you fancy. The transcontinental driving trips on your bucket list will be all
Here're a couple of videos of people with right / left leg loss driving manual transmission cars without any mods to the vehicle itself.

and another one here.
So...hang on to your compass mate. youre soon gonna vroom around!

cheers and have a great weekend
famousshoes is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks