Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 18:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Ah, I see what you mean. I'm quite the opposite. I draw from memory, or at most, from keeping the image to my side and copying a few strokes/lines. Also, I tend to draw my own designs, hence the lack of material to copy from! More than the actual shape and image, it's your shading which has left me gobsmacked. I find that incredibly difficult to replicate, so it should be my biggest enemy. I shall definitely try this grid approach soon, possibly tonight. Thanks for the tips.
Old 30th October 2007, 21:03   #62
BHPian

for my next i decided to go with michael schumachers ferrari but the expression bitten of more than i can chew comes to mind. heres the plan front on veiw of the f1 car, top right of the page. side on veiw along the bottom and a portrait of schummy in the top left.

so far i have the outline of the two cars done and am about a quarter the way through shading the front on veiw, i found a good pic of schumcher but in it he isnt wearing his ferrari hat so i may change the portrait reference yet (hopefully i can still do a decent portrait, its been awhile)

the big problem is gonna be the sponsorship lettering not helped by the fact that i fitting all this onto a 9x12 inch piece of paper(details are gonna be small) so i dont even know if im gonna be able to pull this one of yet, if all works to plan it should be good, im figuring it should be around 24 hours of drawing given that its 2 cars and a portrait and these cas are gonna take longer than a normal car. should have it finnished in about a week but dont keep your hopes up this one may go completly wrong and end up in the garbage.
Old 31st October 2007, 08:14   #63
BHPian

heres a work in progress of the F1 sketch, still have a long way to go a havnt even put a thought to the portrait yet, iknow the sponsor loos look like crap but i did them without a grid hopefully i can tidy them up a little more as im shading.

tin23uk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2007, 19:53   #64
BHPian

first one is done after about 7 hours.

Old 8th November 2007, 21:56   #65
SRK
Senior - BHPian

WOW WOW!!!
Thats great..
I have no words to express what I am feeling right now!

Really speaking I am not into F1(people may think I am crazy..But thats the way I am). i dont have like to collect F1 pics.But I dont mind getting this one..
Awsome!!!!

After seeing your work in progress pics. I think it would be great if you could also make a video of your sketching skills..May be people like me could learn something from you.
Old 9th November 2007, 03:58   #66
BHPian

dont know about a video, maybe one day ill write a book, prolly more like a small informative pamphlet lol,

the ferrari / schumacher pic has taken a backseat for a short time, i began work on a 57 chevy bel air for a customer in denmark, keeping my fingers crossed on that one tho cos theres alot of chrome involved which means alot of reflections. that and iv spent hours on the ferrari pic and it doesnt seem to be getting anywhere, so i figured i should take a break before get real bored of it and make a complete mess.

i got to get around to making a website at some point to drum up some customers and try to make a real go of this drawing thing, dont know if its ever gonna get me anywhere i dont even know if my drawngs are of a quality worth trying to sell. some of the stuff iv seen on ebay is complete crap so i figured if they can do it why cant i.

oh and another thought. is there anyway i can advance from being a newbie? i know it can be done by number of posts but i only really post in the shifting gears section and that wont raise my post count.
Old 9th November 2007, 05:10   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin23uk View Post
dont know about a video, maybe one day ill write a book, prolly more like a small informative pamphlet lol,
I think that if you take a picture / scan after every hour or two of drawing, that should be a good guide of your construction technique.
If its a scan, then all the scans can even be put together to make a really cool animation!!

Quote:
some of the stuff iv seen on ebay is complete crap so i figured if they can do it why cant i.
True, but :
1. Do they actually manage to sell stuff... or do a lot of the auctions get done without any bids ?
2. Make note of how they "sell themselves". Getting more people to view your auction on ebay is a tricky artform in itself.

Quote:
oh and another thought. is there anyway i can advance from being a newbie? i know it can be done by number of posts but i only really post in the shifting gears section and that wont raise my post count.
I noticed this just yesterday and will bring this up for discussion in the support forum, (however, even if we add up all your posts you are still at ~28 posts... so it may take a while )

cya
R
Old 14th November 2007, 07:04   #68
BHPian

well the formula 1 pic is never gonna get finished, i had computer problems over the weekend and ended up having to format my h/d, meaning i lost the reference for the bottom side on view and i cant find it anywhere online now. oh well still working on a 57 chevy bel air that is turning out to be harder than i thought it would but should be done in a couple days.
Old 16th November 2007, 22:44   #69
BHPian

57 chevy bel air

this one took awhile but finally got it finished last night.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:09   #70
SRK
Senior - BHPian

That sketch is Awsome..
Loved the detailing in it..Specially those chrome parts..must have been time consuming?
Old 29th November 2007, 10:18   #71
BHPian

yep the chrome did take quite awhile to get done, i need to really find a way of simplifying the chrome i draw and learn to cut out some of the reflections but still make it look realistic. sadly looks like i have to quit the car sketches for a short time. its nearly christmas and everyone wants sketches of there damn kids to give as gifts to grandparents and what not.

ill be back to the cars just as soon as i can find the time. heres the latest thing i drew tho for anyone interested, took it to a local tattoo shop and had them slap it on my side, not the kind of thing i normally draw but i was looking for a new tattoo anyway. for anyone thinking of getting a tattoo in the same place i have, think about something small especially if its your first cos 4 and a half hours of tattooing on your side gets real painfull.

and yes i know, i need to hit the gym
Old 4th April 2008, 15:41   #72
BHPian

***. Is those sketches are just out of this world.
Awesome drawing man.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:38   #73
BHPian

WOWOWOWOWOW! Amazingly fantastically superbly awesomely coooool!!! Your sketches rock buddy!

Last edited by Torqueguru : 7th April 2008 at 09:40.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:17   #74
BHPian

since torqueguru has used almost very word i can think of ... i'm out of words... do you draw them in hand or use a wacom tablet . very nice
Old 30th April 2008, 20:09   #75
BHPian

they are all hand drawn redeye. almost forgot about this thread until i got a private message that showed up in my email lol.

anyways i havnt really drawn anything since the chevy bel air, i have been working on a aprilia sketch thats coming along slowly but grand theft auto 4 came out yesterday so its unlikely that the aprilia will get finished anytime soon lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks