Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-260.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 5284947)
This might be late for you but check out Khmer Kitchen (Outer Ring Road, JP Nagar 2nd Phase) next time. One of the best South east Asian (Thai, Vietnamese, Burmese, etc) food outlets this side of the town.

Oh yes its ~5 years early. :) But really thankful for the suggestion. This is one place which has been on my goto list for some time. I have heard good reviews (you being the 4th person recommending) and will plan to visit soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie (Post 5285046)
Oh yes its ~5 years early. :) But really thankful for the suggestion. This is one place which has been on my goto list for some time. I have heard good reviews (you being the 4th person recommending) and will plan to visit soon.

Lol - that was a dumb move lol: Scrolling up didn't even realize how far in the past (posts) did I get to! Kind of the mistake like speaking on mute on zoom calls that keeps happening, I guess!

And yea, amazing food & ambience. Lived around this area for so long but never got around to visiting it. Will highly recommend it for in-person visit than ordering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxy (Post 5284918)
I am into regular meats like Mutton, Chicken and Fish and am put up in Whitefield.

Where can I go for a really satisfying feast? Some pointers from meat lovers would be really awesome.

Near Whitefield few nice places are Malgudi, Anjappar, Nagarjuna and always Barbeque Nation (good variety of meat starters).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxy (Post 5284918)
Where can I go for a really satisfying feast? Some pointers from meat lovers would be really awesome.

Not familiar with specific options in Whitefield but some guidance :)

If you just want a bunch of meat options, head to the buffet spread at Barbeque Nation or Absolute Barbeque.

If you want some spicy, heavy on masala chicken and mutton dishes, look for good rated chettinad restaurants( Anjappar is an example).

If there is Nagarjuna around that is the place for a satisfying Biriyani with some chicken starters.

If fish is what you crave, look for Kerala restaurants. If you are ok to blow some money, try this place. Very expensive but has some signature fish and chicken dishes.

Restaurant Chef Pillai

E 1/94, Opp: Phoenix Market, Whitefield Main Rd, Mahadevapura Layout, RHB Colony, Mahadevapura, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560048
089431 50000 https://g.co/kgs/wSMpKy

Let me know where the Iftar stalls are happening in South Bangalore this year. The Tilak Nagar one is closed or moved to a new location. Mosque road is a bit far for me to brave the traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 5293926)
Let me know where the Iftar stalls are happening in South Bangalore this year. The Tilak Nagar one is closed or moved to a new location. Mosque road is a bit far for me to brave the traffic.

It is happening near the Jayadeva mosque (Bilal Masjid) as per some posts on Insta. You can check that out.

This Sunday had went to New Krishna Bhavan (located here) after a while. This is a old school type restaurant with mix of wooden benches, sofas and chairs. Was not crowded when we went in (around 8:30 AM) but slowly became full by the time we were out. Ordered Idly Vada, Kotte Kadabu, Poori and Masala Dose. Idly/Vada was standard fare , Kotte Kadubu was really nice. My plate of poori was not good (extremly oily) but my Mother's was really nice. Masale Dose had same taste as I remember it but the aloo filling was very mushy.

Overall a 3.5/5 (with one point less for oily poori and another half point off for the filling of the dose).

The MTR on the 11th cross Malleshwaram is closed. I was not aware and was told by the lady in the nearby shop that it closed three years back. Sad - it was a nice place. Hence decided to have lunch at Basaveshwar Khanavali on the 8th cross.

We usually go to Nalapaka in Rajajinagar for North Karnataka meals but as MTR was closed permanently, we decided to go to Basaveshwar Khanavali. It is in the second floor of the shopping complex. Parking is a problem around Malleshwaram main roads - hence, as usual, I parked near 4th main and walked down to the place. I had not been to Sampige road in the recent past and hence was not aware that the road is closed for white topping.

The khanavali was very crowded and we had to wait for about 20 minutes. The meal served on plantain leaf was amazing. The jowar rotis were excellent. I am from North Karnataka (Dharwad) but never got to enjoy such rotis - ever. Not even our grandmothers (who were excellent in cooking) were able to make such rotis (or Jwalada rottis / bhakri as we call them).

Jamoon and Sheera (Kesari baath) were also excellent.

Meal in Non A/C costs 270 and in A/C room (recommended) is 300 per head.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-capture.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5298437)
we decided to go to Basaveshwar Khanavali

This afternoon I visited Basaveshwar Khanavali near Anand Rao Circle (next to VRL bus terminal) for Jowar Roti meals. Excellent taste with quick service. 2-wheelers have sufficient parking space but can accommodate only a few cars.

They offer 2 versions of the meals - Normal (Rs.230) & Special (Rs.290; additional coconut holige + ghee, pulav & mirchi bajji). Those opting for normal meals were approached again by a gentleman with a plate of holige + hot ghee for a possible last min upgrade to the Special version lol:

Similarly named khanavalis are also available at Gandhinagar (opp Maratha Mandal) & Jayanagar. Unsure if all of them are owned/run by the same group.

The famed old eatery from South Bengaluru, Vidhyarthi Bhavan is coming to Malleshwaram. Tentative time frame is May first week. This news has triggered a heated discussion online as there are quite a few famous eateries in that area.

Quote:

Speaking to The New Sunday Express, managing partner Arun Adiga said they are coming up with a new “avatar” of VB in Malleswaram. “Vidyarthi Bhavan dosa is an emotion. We are going to bring some surprises. People can expect us in Malleshwaram by May first week,” he said.
Source : Indian Express

In my opinion, it is one of the most overrated places in Bangalore. Very small and oily dosa. Chutney is not great either.
In Malleshwaram, By2 coffee is a very good place. They are not greedy either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie (Post 5299040)
The famed old eatery from South Bengaluru, Vidhyarthi Bhavan is coming to Malleshwaram. Tentative time frame is May first week. This news has triggered a heated discussion online as there are quite a few famous eateries in that area.

Ironic, as the dosa was arguably the most underwhelming thing I ate there.

Emotion? Must be 'meh!'.

I filed it under 'old places skating by on reputation' and moved on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5299077)

I filed it under 'old places skating by on reputation' and moved on.

Agree, never quite liked that place from the beginning, there are enough other places which dish out better preparations. Hope fully they don’t get into a PE route like Vasudev Adigas and burn their fingers with this expansion.

I too found Vidyarthi Bhavan dosa to be overhyped and overrated. There are many other establishments who serve much better and tastier dosa than VB.

I think the advent of social media and food vloggers has hyped up many restaurants and converted the already famous ones into a cult. There is a YouTube vlogger 'Food TV ' or something like that who goes around reviewing various food outlets. An year ago, I tried a 5-6 of his recommendations after watching the videos and was mostly underwhelmed from what I ate. Did not find the restaurants worth the time, money and energy that I spent to go and eat food at the reviewed establishment. That YT fellow enamors the audience with his impeccable vocabulary and expressions of tasting food. Every dish is very tasty in his opinion but that is not the case in reality, unfortunately.

Vidyarthi Bhavan Dose is not something which can be termed as the best Dose available. In fact there is nothing like the best Dose. Each restaurant has had its own style of making the Masale Dose and depending on what audience prefer, it becomes their favorite. In fact, I like Masala Dose in Vasu Hotel, Kanakapura more than VB. But thats not the case with my parents. I prefer it to be thinner and crispy. The VB version is not very thin but its crispy at the same time, which means it can hold some good amount of oils as well as soak up the Chutney, while the crust is still crispy as you chew it. Thats something people really like. But definitely not the ones who are conscious about the grease intake :D

So this whole argument about the best Dose is not something I would go with. You cant compare them, but rather just maintain a Dose hall of fame which many restaurants can be a part of.