Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 14:00   #496
BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

My ITR-V is not received by IT Department (inspite of sending by post) and I have been asked to submit the same again. Do I run any risk with the law ?
Old 9th June 2014, 15:02   #497
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi: Please share your experience with the new forms.

I have been filling ITR 2 while all around me have filled ITR 1 over the last few years.
Last year, I had income from other sources such as EPF, Mutual funds, company FD's and bonds.
Also ITR 2 has tabs where we can declare exempt income and deductions under 80TTA.

So, I prefer that from record keeping perspective.
Old 9th June 2014, 15:49   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@vnabhi: Please share your experience with the new forms.

I have been filling ITR 2 while all around me have filled ITR 1 over the last few years.
Last year, I had income from other sources such as EPF, Mutual funds, company FD's and bonds.
Also ITR 2 has tabs where we can declare exempt income and deductions under 80TTA.

So, I prefer that from record keeping perspective.
OK, here goes :-

There is a vast change in the look and feel of the new ITRs. I downloaded both ITR1 and ITR2 in zipped form. As advised in 'readme' file, I extracted the files and then double clicked on the batch file named 'ITR'. This opened (please ensure you click on the file that is listed as a windows batch file, and not on any of the other files in the folder, one of which has a similar name but is an sh type of file). Also, prior to this, please upgrade your java run time version as mentioned in the 'readme' text file. The link is there in the eFiling website.

After clicking on the batch file named 'ITR', it took a minute to open up the forms for filling personal details, bank account, salary and perks details. This new application has a better look and feel than the macro-based excel spreadsheets of the past. But there are way too many pages in the application, more than the tabs in the earlier spreadsheet.

After scanning through the pages, I realized that ITR1 is not suitable for me as I did not see any place to enter my perquisites like LTA and company-leased car. Therefore I repeated the tasks with the ITR2 zipped folder that I'd downloaded.

It took nearly 2.5 hours for me to fill in my salary details, as there are so many pages, and most of them were not pertinent to me. I am sure I can do it faster in future, now that I've got the hang of it.

One neat feature is to pre-fill the personal details from the earlier ITRs This feature never worked earlier, but works fine now.

By clicking on the Save button, validations are done and errors are displayed on the right pane. One cannot save the file in an xml format until all errors are sorted out, which is good.

The upload of the xml file into their website was also smooth. The only difference now is that you cannot see your submitted returns in excel, but would need to see the xml file only. Once you submit the file, and then click on the ITR batch file, you are taken to an empty set of pages!
Old 9th June 2014, 16:34   #499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But when I chose the option of quick filing today, I could see only ITR 1 and ITR 4S in the drop down list, and no other forms. So it looks like I have to use my old ITR 2 and clone it to this assessment year. Let me see how it goes.
I found ITR2 also available for download. I had Java Runtime 8 installed in my Win8.1 laptop. Only the instructions in the readme file were junk. Then looked onto their main page, and had to just add a link to the JRE in path, and then things worked fine. I got the pre-filled files so saved a lot of hassle. Just remember to close and open the app everytime you need to get a new PAN info. One thing - when you ask to open a draft first it asks whether to save, say no else you will get junk saved. The files appear pretty similar to those in Excel till last year.

One issue though every time I start the Laptop, I have to go into the DOS prompt and execute path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8\bin\java";%path% in order to put the java files in the path. How does one change the path permanently in Win 8.1, is still Greek to me.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:50   #500
BANNED

@vnabhi; I found ITR2 still there on the efiling site. Do not log in and just click on the downloads drop down.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:39   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

One issue though every time I start the Laptop, I have to go into the DOS prompt and execute path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre8\bin\java";%path% in order to put the java files in the path. How does one change the path permanently in Win 8.1, is still Greek to me.
Great tips @vnabhi and @sgiitk.

To set path do this:

Open the Control Panel (you can find it using Search on the Charms Bar).
In the Control Panel, search for and open System.
In the dialog box, select Advanced System Settings.
In the next dialog, select Environment Variables.
In the User Variables section, edit the PATH statement to include this (if there is no PATH variable, click NEW to create one)
Old 1st July 2014, 17:44   #502
BHPian

Did any of you pay up the tax demand for earlier years (like 2006-07, 08-09 etc in my case) as shown on the incometax portal?

During last year's settlement, the notification said, the refund will be adjusted to outstanding demand, but was not done and the full refund amount was credited into my account.

Was wondering if anyone paid up the outstanding tax demand in their names. If so, what category for the payment challan was used to pay it (under 280?)?
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:30   #503
BANNED

I have found errors in one Form 16 and one Form 16A (different accounts). I have contacted both the parties. Now what do I do.
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:44   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have found errors in one Form 16 and one Form 16A (different accounts). I have contacted both the parties. Now what do I do.
Go to the TRACES website (it should be linked to from your Netbanking). As long as all the tax deducted from your salary/other income is reflected under your PAN there as fully paid-up, you don't have any issue. Problem arises only if your PAN is incorrect - but if the forms are generated the "right" way (from the TRACES website) that should not happen.

What errors do you see?
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:27   #505
BHPian

There is a difference in the amount on TRACES and TDS certificate given by the company. Which one should I treat as correct and fight against
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:43   #506
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Go to the TRACES website (it should be linked to from your Netbanking). As long as all the tax deducted from your salary/other income is reflected under your PAN there as fully paid-up, you don't have any issue. Problem arises only if your PAN is incorrect - but if the forms are generated the "right" way (from the TRACES website) that should not happen.

What errors do you see?
In one case IITK has generated Form 16. Shows less salary than 26AS and also there is a discrepancy in TDS.

The second is from 26AS from our tenant. My records show more payments (and TDS) than 26AS. They have goofed in the past as well.
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:30   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
There is a difference in the amount on TRACES and TDS certificate given by the company. Which one should I treat as correct and fight against
TDS certificate. Its the proof given by the company to you about the TAX DETAILS and Signed by the authorised person.
TRACES is just a guide. NOT a proof. IT department cannot disallow a tax credit just because the entry is not shown in TRACES. Keep the TDS certificate as a proof and file your returns. Make a written letter and send by registered post to the company , Informing them about the Tds mismatch in the TRACES website so that they can file correction returns.

Last edited by undead : 2nd July 2014 at 21:44.
Old 3rd July 2014, 07:57   #508
BHPian

My ITR-V is not received by IT Department (inspite of sending by post) and I was asked to submit the same again. Since there is a refund, what do I need to do here to get my refund.
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:00   #509
Team-BHP Support

I submitted the tax return using IRT-1 for my wife using the online option on the website. It was a breeze to use, and the prefill of data made the process faster. I didn't bother downloading any forms, and went ahead with the filling in of data, and submission in one go.
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:43   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
TDS certificate. Its the proof given by the company to you about the TAX DETAILS and Signed by the authorised person.
TRACES is just a guide. NOT a proof. IT department cannot disallow a tax credit just because the entry is not shown in TRACES.
My understanding is that what shown on TRACES is the gospel truth, since that is what the IT department knows about. If your company says it has deducted (say) 2 lakhs as tax but TRACES says only 1.5 lakhs have been deposited by the company, then you are in tax arrears of 50K.

The person who signs the Form 16 is an employee of your company, not an IT official. His signature cannot trump IT dept's own records.

But the second part is right - you have certain ways of recourse should a discrepancy exists. I once had a tenant that deducted 10% TDS from the rent, but did not pay it to the government (as seen on TRACES). I wrote them an email mentioning section 205 of IT Act - and I got the tax paid pronto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks