0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:07   #286
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer - betting heavy on the power sector ?
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:22   #287
Senior - BHPian

Well Normally Crazy That article was brilliant. Who wrote that article?
I was shocked at the way people were blindly investing in the ipo. Everyone were like smiling and giving his own expert comments on it. Trust me the projects to start off will be facing major problems from anything small to large. You have a long list of coal based projects and the environmentalists wont keep quiet. Its like going to take years for a turnaround. Well lets see what happens to this and how much will this share open at?
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:25   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, whats your take on Reliance Petroleum? It was hovering around 220+ some days before. Now it has come down to 147. Would it be a good buy now? Or shall I wait till tomorrow afternoon?
Buy RPL, its Relaince afterall. It went to a low of 113
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:28   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Tanveer - betting heavy on the power sector ?
Simple business sense.
Any business will do well if Demand is more than Supply. right now, the only sector where a shortfall of demand is guaranteed, is the power sector. Atleast of the next 5 years I don't see any surplus coming out of that sector.
Infact XL telecom is a power sector buy since the company has forayed into power generation too!
Ditto for ISCA.

More than a year back, a friend of mine whose uncle worked in NTPC told me, pick up 2000 shares at 90rs levels. Sell of everything you have(Mutual funds, stocks etc.,) and buy NTPC.
If I had listened to the dude I would have been sitting on 3x returns.

This market downfall, made me poorer by 35%(no 2.2 coming now in March) but I am trying to get the best out of it by buying the fundamentally strong large caps who got hammered due to no reason at all.

I guess I have to sit quietly for around 6 months now and watch where the market goes.

Another interesting story I heard from a family friend in Ludhiana. Sunit mittal(Airtel) is known to them pretty well(old business links from his pre airtel days).
When airtel was at 300+ change, he told them, buy shares in my company and I will make you a millionare.
They did not believe in him that time, and only invested a part of their capability.
Look at the airtel stock price now.

As for me, I have to stop looking at technicals now, and look at fundamentals.
A year back I was crazy about technical analysis and had softwares like merchants of venice etc., and used to analyze all the parameters tediously and then invest.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:17   #290
BHPian

Which good MF to invest in to get the benfit of lower NAV now?
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:21   #291
BHPian

Doesn’t this sound too similar to the Reliance Power IPO story -

Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10. The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them. The man bought thousands at $10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at $20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again. Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to $25 and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey let alone catch it. The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at $50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him. In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. “Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at $35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell it to him for $50.”The villagers squeezed up with all their savings to buy the monkeys. Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!!
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:26   #292
BHPian

Superb!

SIMPLY ROFL LMFAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Doesn’t this sound too similar to the Reliance Power IPO story -

Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10. The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them. The man bought thousands at $10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at $20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again. Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to $25 and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey let alone catch it. The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at $50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him. In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. “Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at $35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell it to him for $50.”The villagers squeezed up with all their savings to buy the monkeys. Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!!
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:33   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Which good MF to invest in to get the benfit of lower NAV now?
HDFC Top 200 (Dividend) & Fidelity Equity Fund (Dividend) - two excellent MFs, now & forever
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:43   #294
Team-BHP Support

Don't forget Magnum.
The fund managers at SBI are simply brilliant. Over the past year it has given consistent dividends and returns, irrespective of market circus.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:44   #295
BHPian

My Suggestion would be Franklin Templeton, SBI Magnum. They have been performing year over year and invested in some of the best stocks in the market.

Besides above, you can also find out on an MF's website that where do they park your money. For ex., reliance and taurus are heavily reliance based MFs. So if reliance falls, they fall badly and vice-versa.

One more suggestion is that don't run after branded sectorial MF (Infra, Power, etc.). They may or may not perform well. If something happens to that sector or one of the companies, the entire mix goes for a toss. Again the fundamental of research and investment go hand in hand for MFs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
HDFC Top 200 (Dividend) & Fidelity Equity Fund (Dividend) - two excellent MFs, now & forever
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:50   #296
Senior - BHPian

I just bought more of MRPL yet again . Some like Power. I am partial to oil and gas

Re MF's and other schemes, guess who consistently buy bucket loads when the market is going down. Its LIC.. So might as well put your money in some of their equity linked schemes.

Last edited by spadival : 23rd January 2008 at 13:53.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:54   #297
BHPian

so much confusion, I wonder if moneycontrol best pics are really good, and if I can go ahead and invest the funds on those ?

Reliance RSF - Equity
StanChart Premier Equity (G)
ICICI Pru Infrastructure (G)
JM Emerging Leaders Fund (G)
Tata Infrastructure Fund (G)

what is your advice?
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:01   #298
Senior - BHPian

MF's that I think are good.

1) DSP ML Tiger
2) Fidelity Equity
3) SBI Magnum
4) Tata Infrastructure
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:04   #299
Team-BHP Support

SBI Magnum and Tata infrastructure get my vote
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:04   #300
BHPian

Quote:
so much confusion, I wonder if moneycontrol best pics are really good, and if I can go ahead and invest the funds on those ?
I would rather go by value research online's ratings....

This is the rating for equity(diversified) category -> Fund Compare - Value Research Online

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks