0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 09:50   #31
BHPian

After the latest fall in the sensex Morgan Stanley said that it seems 4 years bull run in Indian Markets is over. I know nobody can predict the market for certain... but what do you guys think??

Anybody here invests in just Mutual Funds?
Old 11th August 2007, 12:46   #32
Team-BHP Support

I invest just in mutual funds. Stopped the stock stuff more than a year ago.
Old 11th August 2007, 13:09   #33
Team-BHP Support

I invest in selected stocks long term but invested heavily in mutual funds since they dictate supply and demnd. I do not have time to monitor the trends of individual stocks.

As for the market, when my neighbour who is a stock broker who claims 5% of stock movement creates the rise and fall gives a thought about mega-speculations happening.
Globally, the debt financing is getting tight, US house prices are dropping, someone has to pay for an expensive war, means that the some ***** being juggled in the air will drop. India being a member of the OECD (god knows what it means but it implies that US and Japan need to spread investments in India) will see these countries cashing in to ease debt.

In short, I cashed out 80% of MF's around the 14500 mark. The market has actually stayed a little above that, surging up and down. My gut feel is that a correction will bring things to 13000.

Some other things happening are strciter merger/ acquisition legal frameworks and also IPO criteria. Why else is there a flurry of property companies floating in haste.

Forget bull runs, stay invested for the long run or take a crazy risk like I did.

I am no expert so please feel free to say - poppycock
Old 11th August 2007, 14:30   #34
BHPian

Just to answer my own question I too invest in just mutual funds since last 1 year and mainly tax saving mutual funds. Made an overall profit of 25% yet but not redeemed.

I guess as most optimistic people say the market will one day go to 50,000 mark its just a question of when. May be15 years or 20.

Just to highlight how well Indian Market did in last few years if somebody had invested 1 lak in Magnum Tax gain fund 5 yeas ago that would have been worth more than 11 laks today. Now.... I've started sounding like a Mutual Fund advisor but that I'm not!!!
Old 11th August 2007, 15:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

This is a consolidation period.
Will last for few weeks at max.

Anyone who says this is begining of bear phase probably is trying to bush whack ppl into selling, so that he can buy at lower levels.

BTW, in the 4year bull run of Indian markets, its is the Indian public who has been sitting out and watchign the Institutional (Indian as well Foreign) investors make money.

Seems like Indians don't have confidence in their own markets, but foreigners have. LOL
Old 11th August 2007, 21:54   #36
BANNED

Yahoo! Finance India is a good place to research technicals. Best part is their "portfolio" feature - I use that feature to monitor a small list of stocks. Of course, icicidirect and myiris are good sites for fundamentals research; and there is not much overlap between them. But i sorely miss the excellent summaries of financials which used to come wtih the Financial Express.
Old 11th August 2007, 23:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

I use indiabulls and indiainfoline but Indiainfoline guys suck. They do unauthorized trading from your account and do not even bother to ask you if they can make a buck out of your money. I have already lodged a complaint against them with SEBI as repeated calls to them did not work.
IMO long term investments are better as you do not spill your Tea every time the bears rush in but you do enjoy the bull ride.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:57   #38
BHPian

I have been trying to study the market for close to 2 years, have seen it rise from 9000+ to 14000+.

I guess I'll get in one of these days, I'm really inspired by books like Rich Dad Poor Dad, though I'm sensible enough to realise ground realities, but these books sure get you thinking.
The power of compounding just looks too good on paper and in theory, so I intend putting it to use.

Timing the markets is something all fundamental books on markets tell you not to do, but I guess all of us try to time the markets to enter atleast.
Old 26th October 2007, 16:43   #39
BHPian

wow, the stock market is on a roll. This way, I will be able to upgrade my car sooner than expected ...
Old 26th October 2007, 17:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I have been trying to study the market for close to 2 years, have seen it rise from 9000+ to 14000+.

I guess I'll get in one of these days, I'm really inspired by books like Rich Dad Poor Dad, though I'm sensible enough to realise ground realities, but these books sure get you thinking.
The power of compounding just looks too good on paper and in theory, so I intend putting it to use.

Timing the markets is something all fundamental books on markets tell you not to do, but I guess all of us try to time the markets to enter atleast.
Yeah same here!

Been waiting for the market to fall before I start investing again and the bloody thing refuses to come down!

Also reports at moneycontrol should be taken with a pinch of salt. I bought only one share on their advice and it has the distinction of being the only share on which I have booked loses
Old 26th October 2007, 18:53   #41
BHPian

For mutual funds try valueresearchonline.com. Only go for 5 star rated funds with a track record of 5 yrs or more and a history of lowest fall during bad markets.
Old 26th October 2007, 18:59   #42
BHPian

guys what shares are u investing in? I read telecom will be good bet.
Old 26th October 2007, 19:27   #43
BHPian

Have been investing in the stock market for a couple of years now... its been going good so far... so I plan on investing even more in the future.
Old 26th October 2007, 20:43   #44
BHPian

Even i am interested in shares and mutual funds but my knowledge is very limited so not very confident..
guys is there any place in bangalore where they teach us about shares, mutual funds, trading etc...

Vijay
Old 27th October 2007, 00:51   #45
BHPian

i buy on a rumor, sell on a news.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks