Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2008, 12:04   #1
BANNED

Dog Pee on tyres

Team,
surelly you know what i mean by this. I am looking for some way to get the dogs to "not piss on my car tryes".

I have tried many things like chilli powder, diesel thrown on the tyres to no avail.

anybody got some suggestion ?

I had put this question before in the Aesthetics post but got no reply so far.
Old 15th June 2008, 12:44   #2
BHPian

I too feel the same, but no solution.
Old 15th June 2008, 12:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Dog pee is actually great moisturizer for tyres. In hot seasons rubber tends to get dry and hard, leading to cracks and damages.
Dog pee keeps the rubber supple and flexible. Also keeps insects and other creatures away.
It also keeps away annoying rats from gnawing on your tyres.

When I go out of town, I drain the tank, disconnect the battery and make sure that all 4 tyres are nicely covered with this wonderful liquid.
Unfortunately we have no dogs in our apartment complex so I collect dog pee in 500ml bisleri bottles and spray it on my tyres at my convenience. In the fridge the stuff can last about a week without expiring.

This is one reason why my Goodyear F1's are still soft and nice after 5 years of usage, much to iRaghava's surprise.

Don't we love sundays?? So much time at our hands....
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2008, 12:56   #4
BHPian

Sam Bhaiya! Kya yeh mazaak tha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Dog pee is actually great moisturizer for tyres. In hot seasons rubber tends to get dry and hard, leading to cracks and damages.
Dog pee keeps the rubber supple and flexible. Also keeps insects and other creatures away.

When I go out of town, I drain the tank, disconnect the battery and make sure that all 4 tyres are nicely covered with this wonderful liquid.
Unfortunately we have no dogs in our apartment complex so I collect dog pee in 500ml bisleri bottles and spray it on my tyres at my convenience. In the fridge the stuff can last about a week without expiring.

This is one reason why my Goodyear F1's are still soft and nice after 5 years of usage, much to iRaghava's surprise.

Old 15th June 2008, 13:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Dog pee is actually great moisturizer for tyres. I collect dog pee in 500ml bisleri bottles and spray it on my tyres at my convenience. In the fridge the stuff can last about a week without expiring.

Hey! No offense. But are you serious about this?
Old 15th June 2008, 13:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
Team,
I have tried many things like chilli powder, diesel thrown on the tyres to no avail.
Chilli Powder . Buddy what are you trying to do? Anyways unless the dog decides to lick the chilly powder / you manage to target the ahem.... critical area with the same it might not be effective . Be careful not to enrage the dog..

There is stuff much worse than dog pee on our streets..
Old 15th June 2008, 13:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

but will our Pee work the same, it has an easier source.

Quote:

Old 15th June 2008, 13:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have this mental picture of a burglar breaking into Sams apartment. Admiring his success, he goes to the fridge and gulps down a big swig of lemon soda......

You might try a cleanser with ammonia in it. They do not like ammonia. Anyway, it keeps ME from wetting down tyres.
Old 15th June 2008, 13:12   #9
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Team,
surelly you know what i mean by this. I am looking for some way to get the dogs to "not piss on my car tryes".

Diesel and chilli powder on your tyres? Are you sure that diesel will not harm your tyres, more than dog pee might?

Anyway, I now have to park the car out on the street even in Pune at my new apartment. To my infinite irritation, the dog owners who walk their dogs in the morning let their dogs pee on my tyres and alloys. I thought of protesting, but then thought better of it. I quietly walk down at 8-00 AM and throw water on the affected areas. I realized that if I made a big noise about this, that would draw unnecessary attention to my car and could make matters worse. I cannot do much to protect my car when it is parked outside and I am not around.

And I thought of the days (about 35 years ago) when I was a dog owner and let my dog pee on the old Ambassador and Fiat tyres, when nobody was looking. Guess it is payback time now.

Last edited by rks : 15th June 2008 at 13:15.
Old 15th June 2008, 14:57   #10
BHPian

Ammonia will essentially make the dog pee on it as all mammalian urine contains urea (uric acid) which is a derivative of NH4 not the highway but ammonia.

Ammonia based compounds make it attractive for dogs to pee and demarkate their territories - mammals do that. dogs - tigers etc.

Now have you thought what have you driven over ? even if you drive over 0.01% dog pee/any pee. (welcome to Bombay and its drainage - monsoons especially) now multiply 0.01% into your odometer reading (your kilometers run) and see what figure you get.

Please share.

OT - Sam - THAT WAS CAPITAL. !! yet laughing.

Cheers
M MM
Old 15th June 2008, 15:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mmmjgm : Ammonia will essentially make the dog pee on it as all mammalian urine contains urea (uric acid) which is a derivative of NH4 not the highway but ammonia.

Ammonia based compounds make it attractive for dogs to pee and demarkate their territories - mammals do that. dogs - tigers etc.
Well, if that was the case, we would have had packs of dogs near any place where chemical fertilizers are ..

I dont think dogs like pungent odors as much as we do.

Ammonia is NH3. Would you have any idea of what's the % of this in the said compounds ?
Old 15th June 2008, 16:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Well, if that was the case, we would have had packs of dogs near any place where chemical fertilizers are ..

I dont think dogs like pungent odors as much as we do.

Ammonia is NH3. Would you have any idea of what's the % of this in the said compounds ?
Well in daily life we rarely come across ammonia in its natural state,

I stand corrected on the formula. Been a very long time since I passed chemistry.

Here's the link for ammonia and mammals on wikipedia Ammonia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a dog lover and having read a lot of them, its generally advised to avoid ammonia or urea based cleaners as they identify urea and its compounds as an area to ease themselves.

Cheers
M MM
Old 15th June 2008, 17:26   #13
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

anybody got some suggestion ?

I had put this question before in the Aesthetics post but got no reply so far.
I sincerely pray no dog touch their critical part while doing pee on your tyres, by doing this you are forcing b'lore dogs to move to T'nadu to do pee on those chilly free tyres and this may give our politicians a new point after kavery water disupute,hence stop using chilly powder on tyres please.
Old 15th June 2008, 17:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
As a dog lover and having read a lot of them, its generally advised to avoid ammonia or urea based cleaners as they identify urea and its compounds as an area to ease themselves.
If you get this stuff anywhere near a mammal he will look like he has been physically hit and will run away. Do not theorize, try it. I am talking about anhydrous ammonia. Try it on yourself, too, and see if you would hang around.
Old 15th June 2008, 17:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
If you get this stuff anywhere near a mammal he will look like he has been physically hit and will run away. Do not theorize, try it. I am talking about anhydrous ammonia. Try it on yourself, too, and see if you would hang around.
Hey Dan,

You haven't been to the toilets at the suburban railway stations have you ? The ammonia levels are an insight to human tolerance !

There are no dogs there. ! Just stating that household cleaners - however anyways.

The original poster has not discovered the benefits of an enclosed garage. As well as to an enclosed garage, yet on the move out side while parking at home/office/shopping/restaurants, there is no guarantee of anything undesirable not coming in contact with tyres.

You should visit Mumbai, i invite you to visit me and have an ammonia discovery trip.

Cheers

M M M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks