Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2020, 14:24   #631
BHPian

Re: Security indicator in Netbanking pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
I was under the belief that the card no is entered in a secured web site of the payment gateway. See this image. Card details are to be entered prior to going to payment gateway and is getting stored by default (including cvv).
The CVV won't be stored. Rest of the details are stored in Swiggy (and many other apps like Zomato, Ola, Uber, Big Basket etc) so that you don't have to input those information on subsequent purchases. If you don't feel comfortable, you can uncheck the box and nothing would be stored.

Last edited by DaptChatterjee : 27th June 2020 at 14:25. Reason: Typo
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 15:11   #632
BHPian

Just like Thilak29, I would urge you to start using credit card and UPI a little more just to be safe.

It's a little more safer if you start using mobile wallets like PayTM or whichever you like to. Here all your card details, account info etc are stored with just one merchant (only if you wish to). So you just share the Paytm account info with the apps and be done with it.

That said, addressing your concern of green lock, in technical terms, the earlier payment portals used to redirect you to different website where you would enter all the details, make the payment and be redirected back to earlier one. This meant the session for payment gateway was opened for longer duration.

With this new way, these apps get your input of card number, expiry date and cvv and then pass it onto payment gateway. So in the hindsight everything remains the same but the facet is new. This also differs in two ways, some places will take you to payment gateway for OTP/3D secure PIN and some places have their own facet for this OTP as well, thus preventing the redirections and giving a better end user experience.

Giving 2 advantages :
1. Apps Store your card number and expiry date based on your wish which help you with faster checkouts on the next purchase and in turn improving your overall for that app
2. Sessions to payment gateway are short lived.

Despite all this, preventing our data is ultimately our own responsibility. Do payments only on trusted apps using NetBanking. Prefer credit cards, UPI, mobile wallets or the best of all, cash on delivery.
Old 27th June 2020, 22:55   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
The CVV won't be stored. Rest of the details are stored in Swiggy (and many other apps like Zomato, Ola, Uber, Big Basket etc) so that you don't have to input those information on subsequent purchases.If you don't feel comfortable, you can uncheck the box and nothing would be stored.
I think it all boils down to trust. I am sure well known sites can be trusted absolutely, but how about little known sites. When they get to know and store full card info, I don't know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Just like Thilak29, I would urge you to start using credit card and UPI a little more just to be safe.
I am and have been using all these methods for years. And I am not being paranoid. I just wanted to know about the security aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Despite all this, preventing our data is ultimately our own responsibility.
Protecting, you meant. Absolutely. Hence the question in this thread.

On a totally different line, I recently lost nearly Rs.1800/- with an online store called autodivine.com. Not related to payment all, but it shows how unscrupulous sellers can be. They just took the money and did not send the ordered item (auto window closer unit). I was moronic because I should have done my homework before ordering. I later found that there are many similar complaints against them, including a thread here in team-bhp.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th June 2020 at 23:08. Reason: Typo
9216 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 10:41   #634
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which bank to open an account in?

As far as feasible I never use UPI or Debit card for any payment. The reasons are
. Once money is debited from the bank, it is extremely difficult to get it reversed in case of any dispute. I have seen a lady chasing reversal for over three months.
. Credit cards are better as you get a credit period varying from 50 days to 5 days depending on when you made the purchase.
. Credit cards are safer as you can always dispute the payment and most of the time it is resolved in your favour if merchant is at fault.
. Credit cards have a fraud insurance and you can recover your losses in case of loss of the card.

On the whole I see no advantages to Debit card except for cash withdrawals.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 10:50   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it all boils down to trust. I am sure well known sites can be trusted absolutely,
When it comes to data safety/ security, there is no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as feasible I never use UPI or Debit card for any payment.
What are the options of paying credit card bills?
Old 28th June 2020, 12:03   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Credit cards are safer as you can always dispute the payment and most of the time it is resolved in your favour if merchant is at fault.
What kind of faults can be disputed ? Can you please explain a little ?
Old 28th June 2020, 16:46   #637
BHPian

Aroy,
I had always thought that only issues related to transfer of money can be disputed. Once paid, can anything be done to reverse the money ?
9216 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 10:00   #638
Senior - BHPian

Not sure where to post this query and therefore posting it here:

A friend who was working in the USA for 5 years (till 2018, when he returned to India) has received a check for a certain sum of money from the US treasury, as part of the USA economic Covid stimulus package provided to all USA workers. It is accompanied by a letter signed by Trump himself The check is in USD.

The question is : can this check be deposited into his Indian savings account? If so, what is the procedure? Does he need to approach the bank to understand the process? Is it as simple as depositing an Indian currency check into and Indian savings account?

Note: He has closed all USA accounts before coming back to India and therefore, depositing into a US account is not possible.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 11:47   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

What are the options of paying credit card bills?
I use net banking for paying credit card bills. If the card is issued by bank and you have an account, then it is simply a case of registering the card online and paying through the online banking.

For AMEX they give you the account number (mostly Standard Chartered) and you NEFT the amount from your bank.

Quote:
What kind of faults can be disputed ? Can you please explain a little ?
1. Double charges. It has happened quite a number of times that the merchant pressed twice. Normally it is ignored by the bank, but once in a while it is billed. When you raise a complaint, they stop the payment to the merchant, investigate and reverse the charges if found true.
2. Non delivery. Has happened a couple of times, when the merchandise was nor delivered even after two months. Raised the complaint and received refund.
3. Stolen cards. Most cards have an insurance. A friend lost AMEX and ICICI in Europe. Before she could complain the thief had made a 1000 +EU shopping on each card. AMEX promptly
. Closed the card.
. Reversed all charges from the date of loss.
. Couriered a new card within a day or two.
In contrast ICICI closed the card, but did nothing else and she had to fight it out after coming back. It took 3 months to get the charges reversed. But at least she was spared the agony of a huge bill on lost card.

Quote:
Aroy,
I had always thought that only issues related to transfer of money can be disputed. Once paid, can anything be done to reverse the money ?
There are two aspects. Payment by Debit Card and Money transfers. In both the cases the money is transferred from your account immediately.

Yes theoretically you can raise a ticket and get redressed for both. The reality is that most banks are lackadaisical in their approach and drag their feet. Heard of tens of cases where the user had to chase the issue for weeks both online and by visiting the bank branch.

The reason that Credit card payments are easier to contest compared to Debit card is that in case of Credit card the payment is made to a merchant and that can be withheld easily. In case of Debit card the payment is already made and the card issuer has no handle on the payee. It is a long drawn process for the card issuer and they try to avoid it.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 11:51   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Not sure where to post this query and therefore posting it here:

A friend who was working in the USA for 5 years (till 2018, when he returned to India) has received a check for a certain sum of money from the US treasury, as part of the USA economic Covid stimulus package provided to all USA workers. It is accompanied by a letter signed by Trump himself The check is in USD.

The question is : can this check be deposited into his Indian savings account? If so, what is the procedure? Does he need to approach the bank to understand the process? Is it as simple as depositing an Indian currency check into and Indian savings account?

Note: He has closed all USA accounts before coming back to India and therefore, depositing into a US account is not possible.
As far as I know most banks accept checks of foreign currency but
. The commission on conversion varies from 0.5% to 3% bank to bank.
. The amount is credited only when the payment is received. This normally entails sending the check physically to the issuing bank and that takes time.

My suggestion is to inquire at all the banks he has account and find the best rate and least time to process.

Last edited by Aroy : 29th June 2020 at 11:52.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 15:02   #641
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
. Credit cards are safer as you can always dispute the payment and most of the time it is resolved in your favour if merchant is at fault.
. Credit cards have a fraud insurance and you can recover your losses in case of loss of the card.
Quote:
3. Stolen cards. Most cards have an insurance. A friend lost AMEX and ICICI in Europe. Before she could complain the thief had made a 1000 +EU shopping on each card. AMEX promptly
. Closed the card.
. Reversed all charges from the date of loss.
. Couriered a new card within a day or two.
In contrast ICICI closed the card, but did nothing else and she had to fight it out after coming back. It took 3 months to get the charges reversed. But at least she was spared the agony of a huge bill on lost card.
Adding to above points, apart from Amex I think the process for other banks is tedious. Had a bad experience with HDFC so I've stopped using that unless there's some cash back.
Old 29th June 2020, 22:43   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use net banking for paying credit card bills. If the card is issued by bank and you have an account, then it is simply a case of registering the card online and paying through the online banking.
Q was on the lack of safety when using Debit Cards.
So how much safer are we using NEFT. Other than the min 4/ 24 Hr wait, does it have any other safety features?

Sutripta
Old 30th June 2020, 11:03   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Q was on the lack of safety when using Debit Cards.
So how much safer are we using NEFT. Other than the min 4/ 24 Hr wait, does it have any other safety features?

Sutripta
NEFT is a bank to bank transfer using RBI. As such it is super safe, unless you transfer it to a wrong account, in which case it will be long process recovering it. So ensure that you have the precipitant account correct.

For small amounts I use IMPS which is practically instant transfer (any time, day or night) unlike NEFT and RTGS which are scheduled during banking hours.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:47   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NEFT is a bank to bank transfer using RBI. As such it is super safe,
Question is one of access to ones account set up for NEFT by malicious agents. Essentially one password and one OTP, sent over SMS/ EMail. (Some banks, not all, have two passwords, one for reviewing the account, a separate one for transactions).

Sutripta
Old 30th June 2020, 12:51   #645
Senior - BHPian

HDFC always makes things tough for account holders. It is a 'paperwork bank'. I got out of it, and into ICICI. Things are fine so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Adding to above points, apart from Amex I think the process for other banks is tedious. Had a bad experience with HDFC so I've stopped using that unless there's some cash back.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks