Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:48   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which bank to open an account in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
How has your experience been with the bank these past 2 years? I visited a branch today and the staff was helpful but appeared a bit cavalier in their attitude. Luckily though, one of the other guys chimed in and was helpful with the details.

My experience has been very good. Looking back since the past 3-4 years since I have switched to this bank, I really cannot think of any instance where I was dissatisfied. having said that, I am not a demanding customer and only have very simple/ normal banking needs. My salary gets credited, I use the debit card regularly and receive my statements on time. Online banking is very seamless and their phone app is also very easy and fast to use. They also offer a zero cost credit card with decent benefits. Interest rates on savings account are also pretty competitive.

Overall, if your use case is the "usual" one without any specific unusual requirements, IDFC is a decent enough choice. Being a smaller bank than the ICICIs, their overall service levels are faster and better as well.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:29   #737
Senior - BHPian

I have been banking since 1969 when I had to open an account for scholarship money. Since then I have had accounts in

. Dena Bank
. Central Bank
. UBI
. SBI
. Allahabad Bank
. ICICI
. HDFC
. Kotak

. And a few I do not remember of. Closed all but the last four more than a two decades ago.

The experience is varied. In the good old days of Public Sector Banks, I have had to stand in really long lines for any service - deposits, withdrawals or even enquiries.

Today things have changed a lot. The ques are less (though there in quite a few banks), staff a tad better at public sector banks and transparencies better.

What has made my life easier is the NET banking. No more standing in ques (except for deposits during demonetization!). No waiting for statements to arrive. Ever since I got ICICI account 20+ years ago, Net Banking has been the name of the game.

If you ask me, ICICI has the best online as well as offline presence. Kotak is pretty confused and takes longer to login. HDFC in my opinion thinks too much about itself and makes you life miserable when ever they feel like it (more of a Sarkari Mentality).
Aroy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 13:53   #738
BHPian

A notch against HDFC bank in my books. They tried to pull something along similar lines with me a few years back.

They signed me up for a RD account and withdrew Rs. 10,000/ from my savings account (from my balance of just above Rs. 10,000/) without me asking for it.

Then they started imposing a monthly penalty amount citing non maintenance of AMB.

HDFC refuses to address grievance of customer whose account was debited in unauthorised manner
Old 11th January 2022, 06:10   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post

Good to hear this feedback. Your family have been associated for a long time now, do you feel the service levels are the same or have they taken a hit?
They levels of service tend to differ across their relationship tiers. I've seen them be fairly cavalier to someone who has just walked in.

We have been upgraded from their Exclusive to their new Pioneer tier. With the kind of service we get, I don't remember the last time we've had to visit the branch unless we really want to. We've got separate relationship and service managers to action all our requests: most gets done over the phone or they are willing to visit home if need be. .

The exclusive and pioneer tier debit cards also come with a 0 forex surcharge amongst other benefits, making them the best if you travel often or make a lot of international transactions online. It tends to work out cheaper than using forex cards from the cheapest possible vendor, with reward points too.
kkkkkaran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 13:46   #740
BHPian

Gentlemen, my mother - a salaried person wants to open a savings account in either ICICI bank or Axis bank. Her salary account is in her co operative bank so she's not able to do UPI payments and unable to receive Income tax returns in it. She does have a savings account in Bank of India but that bank has horrible customer service and their mobile application is painful to use. I do have account with Axis Bank but there are very few rewards/schemes available for Axis Bank cards. On the other hand, I've seen many offers for ICICI bank. So which bank to open her savings account in ? Is there any penalty for non maintenance of minimum balance in saving account (₹ 10000) ?
Old 1st February 2022, 13:55   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
On the other hand, I've seen many offers for ICICI bank. So which bank to open her savings account in ? Is there any penalty for non maintenance of minimum balance in saving account (₹ 10000) ?
I have not had too many issues with ICICI Bank in my 15+ years of relationship except that they try to do too much cross-selling. I also find ICICI 's web/digital services to be quite friendly and reliable. Do check out any women-specific account schemes which may available in most banks with minimum balance waivers.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st February 2022 at 13:59.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:18   #742
BHPian

Axis has raised minimum balance to 15000 so be mindful of that please.
Old 1st February 2022, 14:24   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Gentlemen, my mother - a salaried person wants to open a savings account in either ICICI bank or Axis bank. Her salary account is in her co operative bank so she's not able to do UPI payments and unable to receive Income tax returns in it. She does have a savings account in Bank of India but that bank has horrible customer service and their mobile application is painful to use. I do have account with Axis Bank but there are very few rewards/schemes available for Axis Bank cards. On the other hand, I've seen many offers for ICICI bank. So which bank to open her savings account in ? Is there any penalty for non maintenance of minimum balance in saving account (₹ 10000) ?
Best to have an account in ICICI bank.

Yes most bank have minimum balance requirement and they do levy a charge if the average monthly balance goes below the minimum. The exception are some "Zero Balance" accounts. Most banks have one. You get basic service only, so read the fine print before going ahead.

https://www.bankbazaar.com/savings-a...-citizens.html

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2022 at 06:32. Reason: Typo
Aroy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 15:13   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
A notch against HDFC bank in my books. They tried to pull something along similar lines with me a few years back.

They signed me up for a RD account and withdrew Rs. 10,000/ from my savings account (from my balance of just above Rs. 10,000/) without me asking for it.

Then they started imposing a monthly penalty amount citing non maintenance of AMB.

HDFC refuses to address grievance of customer whose account was debited in unauthorised manner

Might have happened during ATM withdrawal, the last screen would be a RD question. Since you got the money you might have come out and the person next in line, might have consented because the timeout takes some time.
Old 4th February 2022, 19:10   #745
BHPian

I recently changed my job and my new employer has a tie up with axis Bank whereas my older employer had citibank.

I can see a huge difference in service provided by both these banks.

Citi bank never used to give calls for credit cards/loans nothing no harrasment at all.

On the other hand I get frequent calls from people claiming to be my relationship managers from axis bank, offering cards , loans and what not. Also the axis bank keeps popping up random notifications for RD/FDs whereas the Citibank app never had such spamming.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 05:54   #746
BHPian

I recently opened an account in HDFC Bank (Non Salary). It took them to open 12 days in these age.

Since it is a newly opened branch, they offered to come home to open the account. Good.

I signed the application form and issued account opening cheque. Now there is a fancy feature that you can choose your last 10 digits of account number. I have given the account number of my choice and address proof documents. Next week they called and requested to come to their branch for Aadhar authentication. Now, there authentication is not working with finger print detection. So they requested to send a self signed Aadhar copy again.

On 10th day, my other bank cheque was debited but no sign of new HDFC account creation. Finally I called and then things started moving. New HDFC bank account was created on 12th day and it is random account number

Apart from that, Cheque book and Debit card came home promptly.

In May 2020, I have to open an ICICI bank Salary account at the peak of first lock down and I could not believe the account was opened in less than 5 mins online and and did a Video KYC too. Till now, I have not visited the branch once. Only slight inconvenience with ICICI is the marketing they do over email and phone for various products is very high. They spam your Inbox with at least 10 useless emails each day.

The best account I have is Citibank account since 2006 and it is a bliss. I never had to go to a branch. No marketing push for add on products. Very prompt responses in Netbanking or Phone banking. No hidden charges or deductions. I have ordered DD many times and will always be delivered to home promptly without any charges. It is sad that they are leaving and I will any day prefer them over others.
thanixravindran is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 08:43   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I recently changed my job and my new employer has a tie up with axis Bank whereas my older employer had citibank.
Axis will most likely buy Citi's consumer business. So even for Citi customers, Axis nuisance will start .

Ref: https://www.livemint.com/industry/ba...422756572.html

Last edited by msdivy : 6th February 2022 at 08:50.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 09:42   #748
Senior - BHPian

As my better half deals with them on a daily basis as part of her work responsibilities, we chose the Union Bank to set up a savings account for our 12 year old child.

Although all new account openings require the customers to fill in an online form, minor accounts are still handled offline.

It has been a fortnight since we fulfilled all the requirements as stated by the bank and as of yesterday, there is no sign of the account being opened.

Every query elicits a promise of the issue being settled on a priority basis with a solution visible the very next day. Suffice it to say that the promises have remained just that.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:40   #749
Senior - BHPian

I have my salary account in Citibank and am pretty happy with it. No issues at all with the bank but now am looking to open a savings account to park my additional funds. Since I recently got approved for ICICI amazon pay account, thinking to open one in ICICI itself for ease of use. Having gone through the previous few pages post, it seems that ICICI bank is better than other banks out there. Since this is not going to be a salary account, I see that I can open an Insta Savings account which comes with a min balance criteria of 10k. Is that the right option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
As my better half deals with them on a daily basis as part of her work responsibilities, we chose the Union Bank to set up a savings account for our 12 year old child.
I am sure you would have got this completed by now but quoting to share my experience. I had to open savings account for both my kids and I went to Canara Bank since we already have an account there. Whole process took 15mins (submitting application form and proofs). We were told that we will get confirmation on the primary mobile number once account is opened and after that to come and collect passbooks. We got the account open confirmation same day (maybe after 3-4 hours). Was a relatively smooth process.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 23:27   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I have my salary account in Citibank and am pretty happy with it. No issues at all with the bank but now am looking to open a savings account to park my additional funds. Since I recently got approved for ICICI amazon pay account, thinking to open one in ICICI itself for ease of use. Having gone through the previous few pages post, it seems that ICICI bank is better than other banks out there. Since this is not going to be a salary account, I see that I can open an Insta Savings account which comes with a min balance criteria of 10k. Is that the right option?
I hold accounts in both banks as those were opened as Salary accounts in each but later I never closed them. If paying for CC is the only reason you are thinking for ICICI, then don't bother. You can pay from any bank but just make sure you do that 3-days before your deadline to avoid any delays in payment reaching ICICI.

Saying this because, even though ICICI is a good bank to bank with - you will be disappointed from service perspective when compared to CitiBank. CitiBank has been a pure "Open it, Forget it" kind of experience for me. ICICI will either share your data with other ICICI associated departments/companies, or somehow your data will reach 3rd parties. So you will get unnecessary calls for products/services/etc. From technology perspective, ICICI is good. They have very good app and site for you for almost anything that you may need to do.

If at all you need to visit the branch, Citi bank branch experience is way better than ICICI - due to too much foot fall, not related to actual service quality though.

So just to pay the bills, avoid an additional account.

But, CitiBank is now sold to Axis and I am not sure what the future will hold for us
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks