Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 00:57   #6601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Well, what can I say. I just thought a lot before posting this reply.
Coz, criticism is a very dangerous thing to do and depends on how positively one takes it.

I had a look at your Flicker images. No offense meant, but none of them are keepers for me . Let me tell you why. When it comes to Bird photography there are some rule of thumb which can dramatically change your images. Try these next times when you are shooting. Having said that, sometimes breaking rules can give you amazing results and the best judge is you on when to break those rules.

1) Always make sure that you have some catch light on eyes (Trust me this will improve your shots a lot) unless Acton shots.
2) Eye level shots. (Avoid shooting from an elevated position and vice versa)
3) Include the whole bird in the frame (No not full frame images but From head to tail) You can always shoot portraits to showcase the specialties on head/beak/eyes.
4) Rule of third can give you amazing results (Give more space where bird is looking)
5) Properly exposed details in case of a backlit subject.
6) Always prefer natural perches unless the subject is too rare.(Avoid poles electric wires etc)
7) Avoid clutter BG.
8) Always focus on eye, sometimes you may need to change the focus point in your camera to achieve this.

I know it’s very difficult to keep the above points when you are out there in the field. But patience always pays off. There is a difference between "One who goes out to shoot some birds" and "ones who are after one or more particular birds" in the second case, all other images I shoot are not keeper unless I have some unexpected Bonus.

I don't have Flicker sets, have a look at India Nature Watch instead

Once again, no offense meant, and i am extremely sorry if you felt so. This is just a healthy discussion. I have no clue on any other kind of photography like HDR and Landscape on which you are a Master.

PS:Since the theme is Rains, this discussion does not belong here. MODS please move it to appropriate thread if you think so.

Thanks
--Sree--
Well, I completely get what you mean and I love constructive criticism! I just went through those images! Excellent work. And thanks for giving me an insight into bird photography! NOt something that really interests me, but next time I go out to click birds, I will keep all this in mind. And looking at the points u mentioned, yes it is very tough to get it right I guess. But this is now looking quite challenging to me! And that pulls me towards it! Thanks a bunch!
Regards,
TG.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:15   #6602
Team-BHP Support

Awesome work Sree, and I really wonder why you want to give up the Bigma after these kind of shots. Olympus E-500 + Bigma has worked wonders in your hand. Just upgrade to E-620 instead of switching system, the E-620 doesn't have the lowlight handicap.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:07   #6603
Team-BHP Support

Excellent collection there Sree. Like to see them in actual size. Whenever if ever possible.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:37   #6604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! you know what, i just can't imagine how lucky you are!!! Please have a regular check on it. Owls are territorial. And you find him/her again, i don't mind a trip to your place I had done number of trips to nail this guy but no luck. BTW its a Bubo Bubo i think
Yes it a Bubo Bubo Bengalis. I have seen a pair and a juvenile who are regularly seen at this hill for the past 2 months.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:40   #6605
Senior - BHPian

From yesterdays thuderstorm

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1070290.jpg

Thats from yesterdays thunderstorm clicked at Kovalam around 2300 hrs in the night.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:44   #6606
Team-BHP Support

Nice one hellstar. But only that electric pole and cable is sticking out like sore thumb.

And you can clone that out. Can't you?
Old 24th September 2009, 11:33   #6607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Nice one hellstar. But only that electric pole and cable is sticking out like sore thumb.

And you can clone that out. Can't you?
yesssir i sure can ! and thank you ..will post it again after i do that.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:16   #6608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Well, I completely get what you mean and I love constructive criticism! I just went through those images! Excellent work. And thanks for giving me an insight into bird photography! NOt something that really interests me, but next time I go out to click birds, I will keep all this in mind. And looking at the points u mentioned, yes it is very tough to get it right I guess. But this is now looking quite challenging to me! And that pulls me towards it! Thanks a bunch!
Regards,
TG.
I am very glad you took it positively. Next time around, i would like to see some birdies from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Awesome work Sree, and I really wonder why you want to give up the Bigma after these kind of shots. Olympus E-500 + Bigma has worked wonders in your hand. Just upgrade to E-620 instead of switching system, the E-620 doesn't have the lowlight handicap.
Thanks Samurai, yeah Bigma never disappointed me while i know a lot of pros who upgrades to Prime from Bigma within a span of year. Well, some need to understand how to utilize the maximum with existing gear. Bigma has its own share of drawbacks but if you know the limitation she will never let you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Excellent collection there Sree. Like to see them in actual size. Whenever if ever possible.
Rudra sir, glad you liked it. I have RAW versions of all those images, please let me know which one you like, and i will be glad to send it to you. I normaly process only for web size. and never tried to print any of these. I do not know how to do the PP for prints.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 24th September 2009, 13:28   #6609
Senior - BHPian

A snap from my side.Captured using Sony Cybershot DSC W-35.Meanwhile sorry for not commenting on all your captures,I'm hooked up with studies :(

All your comments and critics are always welcome

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc075191.jpg
Old 24th September 2009, 14:29   #6610
BHPian

My first contribution to this thread, the picture was taken last month.

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_69781.jpg

Last edited by arvindmanju : 24th September 2009 at 14:32.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:43   #6611
BHPian

your inputs on these...
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0022.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0024.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0031.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0033.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 16:22   #6612
Senior - BHPian

a dolphin and a walrus playing in water in six flags
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dolphin.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-walrus.jpg  

Old 25th September 2009, 11:36   #6613
BHPian

good morning all,
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_7062.jpg

have a nice day
Old 25th September 2009, 12:01   #6614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
your inputs on these...
Great colors on the last two. I would have rotated these images a bit to straighten up the horizon, and cropped a bit from the bottom to bring the horizon to the 1/3rd position of the frame.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:38   #6615
Distinguished - BHPian

A few more pictures from the Hyderabad Zoo !
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_8385.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_8411.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_8405.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks