Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 15:15   #46
BHPian

One cannot challenge the government even in the SC. The government will give compensation but it will goto the landlords .

Nikhil how big is your Tyre shop ?
Old 13th February 2009, 16:30   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

We are not getting anything as compensation.

Our tyre shop is abt 1500 sq ft. Relatively small I know, but it was enough for a second shop.

I am not against expansion. What I am against is injustice.

First of all, since there is an option here to shift it 300 metres down the road, they could have taken it.

Secondly, the govt could have compensated us directly. Instead of leaving the decision of compensation to the landlord.

Thirdly, they could have given the correct price to the landlord. From what I have heard, he will be losing a lot of money as the money he is going to get is waaaaaaaaay less than the market price. Plus, god only knows when he is going to get the money.

I am well aware of the people in places like Nandigram or whatever where SEZs have been planned. I know I am not as unfortunate as them. I thank God(if s/he exists) for that.

In China(just an example), when the govt wants to expand a road, they just give a notice to the land owners. They dont even have a chance to appeal or file a case. But at least there, they get a fair share. They get the correct value of the land. (this is what I have read.).

Memories man. More than anything that is the worst. We all have fond memories of that shop.

Long before I entered the business, I sold my first set of tyres to a friend. 205/60-15 PP2s. I remember that. I remember the Dosas from New Shanti Sagar and on rare occasions they would be accompanied by yummy gobi manchurian.

Financially also, it is a big loss. Now, some guy will just come and open another tyre shop nearby because for 19 yrs people have known that a tyre shop is there. Now, anyone who opens a tyre shop will get those customers.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Financially also, it is a big loss. Now, some guy will just come and open another tyre shop nearby because for 19 yrs people have known that a tyre shop is there. Now, anyone who opens a tyre shop will get those customers.
is there any place nearby or across the road available on lease which you can rent and start using, instead of someone else starting a shop there
Old 13th February 2009, 18:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sad situation.
I can understand how you are feeling Nikhil. When lots of time and efforts had gone to make something of yours and that too for 19 years then its a heartbreak. At this time even financial matters take a backseat and emotional involvement comes first.

Can anything be done? Am not a legal expert so cant comment on that.
But reading as much info available clearly seems landlord has to take the compensation and you all have to bear the loss emotionally and financially. Harsh reality of life but then thats life.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:19   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hows that relevant to what Pavan has said? If you are going to say that Bangalore of 10 years back was different, then save it. No growing city stays the same.
No, just to gauge the reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Development always comes at a cost. Either you move with it or you lose it.
Its not the gardens, buildings and roads that define the basic character of a city. Its the people of the city.
Yes, people and land make a pair not one alone dude. The concept of "either development or environment" is a myth and you have succumbed to it, thats all I can say.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:20   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jassi --- We are thinking of such options. Very frankly, there is a place available next to our godown(across the road from the current location). I am not in favour of it as we would like to give the best facilities for our customers. We are not interested in just selling tyres and telling the customers to go elsewhere for fitment, balancing and alignment. But we may have to do just that to prevent our customers from going elsewhere.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How would that be possible? From what you said, the building where your tyre shop is present itself will not be there, once the Metro work starts.

I agree with you on the emotional side of your business.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:33   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
How would that be possible? From what you said, the building where your tyre shop is present itself will not be there, once the Metro work starts.

I agree with you on the emotional side of your business.
Someone can open a tyre shop anywhere close by. People who come from a little far away will see our shop no longer exists and then drive away when they will encounter this "new" shop. They will just drive in there and forget that we have two more branches.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

@nikhil,
Do involve yourself with the legal issue as well or atleast be informed and updated. You can not depend completely on the landlord.

For the demolition, entire building has to vacate and find another alternative. But once the entire building is vacated, and if building can not be demolished due to some reason, the landlord can get higher rents!!!. I dont mean to say that your landlord is such an opportunist but you should be in the loop.

raj.
Old 13th February 2009, 19:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Outcry, disgust, injustice, resentment, foul play... the fact remains that there isnt any hope for this country when your shop is affected. I am guilty of the same and so are others.
The leaders have come from the people of this very same country... change thyself and the world will change.
Old 13th February 2009, 20:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about this. I've been to the shop myself, and the guys were quite helpful and well-informed, though I couldn't get what I came for.

Nikhil, your landlord will receive the guidance value of the land, as fixed by the government. Luckily (comparitively) for him, guidance values were revised -- increased by a lot -- 6 months ago, and due to the recession, market rates have dropped. So he should get 60-70% of the market value at minimum, as opposed to just 20-30% he would have got 6 months ago. A very thin silver lining.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:06   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Sad to hear about this. I've been to the shop myself, and the guys were quite helpful and well-informed, though I couldn't get what I came for.

Nikhil, your landlord will receive the guidance value of the land, as fixed by the government. Luckily (comparitively) for him, guidance values were revised -- increased by a lot -- 6 months ago, and due to the recession, market rates have dropped. So he should get 60-70% of the market value at minimum, as opposed to just 20-30% he would have got 6 months ago. A very thin silver lining.
The silverl ining isnt for me. It is for the landlord :(

Thanks for your kind words.

Everyone, thanks a lot for the kind words.

I want to take this opportunity to do something better. We are trying all options. Looking at various places for rent. Problem is they are all asking for ridiculously high rents. If nothing works out, I guess we'll just absorb them in our other shops and ramp up services in the other shops.
Old 13th February 2009, 22:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, just a suggestion, why don't you start a shop in Bangalore East (Cox Town, Frazer town area).

There is no good tyre & WA shop this side.

It will be convenient for people like me who have to drive down to City centre to get the WA etc done (I normally visit your shop near Richmond Circle).
Old 13th February 2009, 23:36   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Nikhil, just a suggestion, why don't you start a shop in Bangalore East (Cox Town, Frazer town area).

There is no good tyre & WA shop this side.

It will be convenient for people like me who have to drive down to City centre to get the WA etc done (I normally visit your shop near Richmond Circle).
Hmmm.... that's an idea! Problem is land is very expensive. Let's see. I'll bounce this idea off my dad.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.... that's an idea! Problem is land is very expensive. Let's see. I'll bounce this idea off my dad.
Nikhil also you can think of is Marathalli or Old madras road on the ORR towards sarjapur/Bellundur their is a Bridgestone dealer but his location is not great and aswell he does nto seem to be very active.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks