Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 01:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?

Note: Contribute to this thread only if you are a PMP aspirant, certified or relate to Project Management in any manner by virtue of which you could be constructive and/or could add value to this thread. Queries related to Project Management are also welcome.

I am enroute to taking my PMP examination this month end or early next one... I was wondering if there are any PMI certified PMP folks out here! It would be fanastic to discuss PMBOK theories, understand concepts better collectively and also contribute to the PMI society with whatever we can. Also discuss the current market for PMPs and other aspects like future of projectized environments etc

The Wolf

p.s: This thread will probably be rated 10/10 in nerdishness...lolzzz , whatever, who cares!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 18th February 2009 at 01:36.
Old 18th February 2009, 04:11   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Note: Contribute to this thread only if you are a PMP aspirant, certified or relate to Project Management in any manner by virtue of which you could be constructive and/or could add value to this thread. Queries related to Project Management are also welcome.

I am enroute to taking my PMP examination this month end or early next one... I was wondering if there are any PMI certified PMP folks out here! It would be fanastic to discuss PMBOK theories, understand concepts better collectively and also contribute to the PMI society with whatever we can. Also discuss the current market for PMPs and other aspects like future of projectized environments etc

The Wolf
I'm not a PMP , but preparing for the PMP - Planning to give in the month of April or May, definitely before the 4th edition comes into picture.
Old 18th February 2009, 06:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am a PMP. the two months I spent studying made me feel I am not even working on a project.

very academic approach to project management.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:12   #4
BHPian

Am a PMP. did it in June 2005. Going in for re-certification this year in May 09. Its academic however it does give u a true perspective on how good project management should be done.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:14   #5
BHPian

I am PMP certified since Aprill 2006. I have earned my 70 PDU required by CCR and my certification would be valid till 2013.

PMP certification will definitely add value to your career and perspective. People may disagree but I felt PMP was extremely helpful. If we try to implement the knowledge literally, it may feel academic but most of the material in PMBoK makes sense when applied with a perspective.

You would have been told this, but I will say it again - Go thru PMBoK at least twice, back to back. You need to go thru Rita Mulcahy as well, at least twice. I found Rita Mulcahy helpful, but you can also chose any other book of your choice. But please ensure that you don't ignore PMBoK for any guide book.

It's a good idea that we discuss topics from PMBoK on this thread and share our perspectives. Would anyone like to pick a topic first?
Old 18th February 2009, 09:20   #6
BHPian

Folks I heard long back on this. How to do this course or register for the course. Any website is there. Course fee, qualification/experience needed etc
Old 18th February 2009, 09:34   #7
BANNED

Is this PMP certification useful for fresh MBAs ?
Old 18th February 2009, 09:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Folks I heard long back on this. How to do this course or register for the course. Any website is there. Course fee, qualification/experience needed etc
http://www.pmi.org/Pages/default.aspx

Cheers!!!
Old 18th February 2009, 09:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good thread "Wolf"( If am not wrong you must be Reitesh). I too want to be a PMP sometime in future but I have this query about the eligibility. Is it mandatory for a person to be in a Managerial position to take the PMP Certification Exam ? (Master's Degree and with 4+ Years experience @ a senior level, is it deemed unfit to take the exam?)
Old 18th February 2009, 10:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

PMBOK 4th edition

Fourth edition of PMBOK has been released & exam would be follow new standard from June 2009. So, if anyone is preparing for PMP certification, please ensure that you complete it before June '09 under current PMBOK 3rd edition.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:03   #11
BHPian

I am preparing for PMP...have been studying for quiet some time but due to work related issues couldnt complete the certification yet.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:13   #12
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Good thread "Wolf"( If am not wrong you must be Reitesh). I too want to be a PMP sometime in future but I have this query about the eligibility. Is it mandatory for a person to be in a Managerial position to take the PMP Certification Exam ? (Master's Degree and with 4+ Years experience @ a senior level, is it deemed unfit to take the exam?)
It is not mandatory that you have to be in a managerial position. But you need to justify why you really require the certification and how this will benefit not only you but also the organization. For ex, there are many folks who interact with NA and European colleagues and handle indivdual projects with the help of trainees even though they are not in a managerial position. So, it makes sense for them to take the certification. Similarly, there can be many examples.

In our organization, even an engineer with 2-3 years exp is eligible for PMP certification.

Last edited by JVH : 18th February 2009 at 10:18.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
It is not mandatory that you have to be in a managerial position. But you need to justify why you really require the certification and how this will benefit not only you but also the organization. For ex, there are many folks who interact with NA and European colleagues and handle indivdual projects with the help of trainees even though they are not in a managerial position. So, it makes sense for them to take the certification. Similarly, there can be many examples.

In our organization, even an engineer with 2-3 years exp is eligible for PMP certification.
Thanks JVH for the insight into my query and that makes sense. However,to make it more authoritative do I need to submit any written proof from my organization stating the above that you mentioned (Handling folks under me and blah blah blah)?

Thanks In Advance
Old 18th February 2009, 10:35   #14
BANNED

And i am guessing most of you are IBMers.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:42   #15
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Thanks JVH for the insight into my query and that makes sense. However,to make it more authoritative do I need to submit any written proof from my organization stating the above that you mentioned (Handling folks under me and blah blah blah)?

Thanks In Advance
Your manager is the person you need to convince since he will work with the training department/HR to identify your short/long term needs. The convincing need not be in a written format but typically this kind of thing is best discussed when you are reviewing your performance with him.

If your organization has a performance review system in the form of jotting down your achievements, training needs, technologies interested...etc you can very well mention about the PMP stuff and emphasize on it more during the face-face review.

Believe me, a manager will always look for candidates for delegation and who are willing to take more responsibilities and he will be very happy to support you in this regard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks