Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 15:56   #106
BHPian

I attended PMP training by Mr.Gurudev Randhawa of PMC India:

http://www.pmcc-india.com/

The training was more than worth it and I loved the way he taught. Highly recommended.

PS: They will offer better price if you go in a group.

@Mods: Just trying to explain the quality of training there for the benefit of the PMP aspirants and I do not have any commercial interest in it. If you find it against forum policies, please delete the post.

Last edited by whitesquall : 19th August 2010 at 15:57.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:25   #107
BHPian

re: Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?

Anyone has done PRINCE2 certification recently? I am targetting to do this next month.
Is self study sufficient or attending a course is must / advisible?

One institute I enquired with is quoting Rs.60000/- for training and certification (Foundation + Practitioner).
Old 8th March 2011, 12:10   #108
BHPian

Got my PMP cert last week.. Exam was not as difficult as i expected

-Pallavi
Old 8th March 2011, 12:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post

-Pallavi
Congratulations!! I am trying to take up this certification god knows since when! he he he he
Old 8th March 2011, 15:39   #110
Senior - BHPian

to all the PMI certified folks here, does the CAPM badge carry any weight ?
Old 9th March 2011, 12:09   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Congratulations!! I am trying to take up this certification god knows since when! he he he he
Suggest you to take it before August as another revision of PMBOK is scheduled around that time.

And from what i gathered from people who completed the certification before me, the current version of PMBOK is the easiest to crack.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:45   #112
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
May I ask how many years of exp you have? Its typically designed for an entry level professional who would like to pursue PM roles in the near future. It's not really a must have provided you are guided in a right direction.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:55   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Generally, the target job for CAPM badge holders is Project coordinator. If your aim is to be a project manager, wait for some mroe time to get the relevant experience and go for PMP certification.
Old 9th March 2011, 13:47   #114
BHPian

I have 6+ experience in IT and i am involved in almost all the activities of SDLC right from requirements to release. Right now i lead a team and do client co-ordination from both offshore and onsite, had experience in direct interactions with end users in sorting out some critical problems in project.

Some questions beats my mind now,

I am a team lead, So i dont involve in resource/project billing, project cost estimates, project proposals etc.. Am i eligible to do PMP ?

If yes,will this be a right time to do PMP With so and so experience ?

It will be helpful if someone can ping the link to PMBOK 4th edition. tried to download from net, but no trustable sources available. Just need to have a look on the contents of it.
Old 9th March 2011, 17:17   #115
BHPian

I have over 12 years experience and from last 4 years as Program Manager. I went through the contents of PMBOK and other related books and i found that i have come across all the points and factors mentioned in that book in my work area practically. It was only a matter of converting my experience into a certification and i was just about to get membership to take up classes and exams but then...

I now have a different prospect of changing or upgrading my role from pure technical to techno - commercial ( more commercial ) and travel international for generating business and buliding customer base.

Can any PMP or experienced folks advice me if still PMP holds good for my future role or is there anything more relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rvmohankumar : 9th March 2011 at 17:19.
Old 9th March 2011, 19:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
May I ask how many years of exp you have? Its typically designed for an entry level professional who would like to pursue PM roles in the near future. It's not really a must have provided you are guided in a right direction.
Quote:
Generally, the target job for CAPM badge holders is Project coordinator. If your aim is to be a project manager, wait for some mroe time to get the relevant experience and go for PMP certification.
dont have the workex to pull off a PMP.

( 3.5 years IT workex + currently pursuing MBA with Operations as one of the majors)
ours is a decently ranked college, but not exactly famous for operations, was looking for something that would help me get a job in that direction
Old 9th March 2011, 19:48   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

( 3.5 years IT workex + currently pursuing MBA with Operations as one of the majors)
ours is a decently ranked college, but not exactly famous for operations, was looking for something that would help me get a job in that direction
I have seen some MBA courses with PMP certification integrated. time spent in MBA also works for your PDUs.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th March 2011 at 19:55.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:03   #118
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Am sure your MBA degree will land you in a position which will allow you to utilize your skills ( in PM direction ) with or without the CAPM certificate. So, I don't really think it'll be a value add. IMO, avoid it.

You can land up a job, gain the relevent PM experience ( you may start as a facilitator or a controller rather than an actual manager, but the experience will be worth) needed and directly apply for a PMP after a couple of years. And may I add, after the MBA, and the above experience, PMP will not be a tough nut to crack.
Old 14th March 2011, 08:38   #119
BHPian

Quote:

-Pallavi
Congrats on clearing PMP.

How did you collect your PDU's? Did you attend the PMI chapter or other weekend seminars?
Old 14th March 2011, 20:03   #120
BHPian

Hi All,
I work as an Engg Architect in a IT firm in Bangalore
But seeing the way things are, especially in a country like India, wherein technically inclined guys are considered not-so-normal and sometimes useless too, would it make sense to get a PMP now? The scarcity of jobs for architects are very very less (Please don't mention google, yahoo,juniper,netapp,amazon etc etc).
I am a very average guy with some expertise in C,C++, Linux/Unix etc. Right now started learning Java and trying to get a hang of some of it's peripherals.

The most job-related mails I get thru' sites or consultants are for some kind of managers.

Can PMP certification make you a better PM or should be consider it as an opening to get from technical to managerial line?

Warm regards,
BR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks