Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 16:05   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You need to claim 60 PDU for the 3 year cycle, if you are a PMP. I think it is/was 1 PDU per hour of activity.

I think there is a video on the PMI site to help you know how to earn those.
Got it == now have to submit the work done for self learning and work exp to continue my certification beyond June -- thanks Spitfire
Old 25th February 2009, 08:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Thank you so much Murali. My intent is to understand the concepts well hence I am not focussing too much on just examination passing techniques however I guess I will have to give equal importance to both... I will try to fetch the cd you are speaking about. Any idea if its locally available or if there is anyone from whom I could borrow it..?

Also, are you a PMP? Any particular basis on which you are recommending this?

This CD is good to have but not mandatory considering the cost.

I did my PMP in 15 days by studying for 2 hours a day and around 6 hours for last 3 days. Couldn't go through the PMBOK, just read through Rita only once and just repeated through the chapters which I felt I was not having good knowledge.

Although it needs to be noted that I have more than 16yrs of experience and have been working as a program manager for more than 4 yrs. Also note that during my work and also due to well defined development process of my company I was exposed to all the areas of project management and just had to mentally map PMI knowledge areas to my experience.

The reason I am telling you my story is that you can optimize your effort using your own method of studying which is your preferred way and best suited for you. I also tried various online tests. So consider inputs from other people but decide on your own strategy.

After clearing the exam I felt that this exam tests your practical experience and it benchmarks project management skills, one needs project management knowledge for clearing this exam.

I am now group manager for PMG group in my company and I have asked all my PMs to be PMP certified and in future I will give weightage to somebody who is PMP certified if I have a choice.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:56   #48
D-Man

I have to take the recertification. Any one has Rita's simulation? or a rapid link?

Old 16th July 2009, 15:37   #49
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
I have to take the recertification. Any one has Rita's simulation? or a rapid link?
If you are already certified, all you have to do is acquire PDUs. Why do you need re-certification?

Or have you crossed the 3-year limit?
Old 16th July 2009, 17:53   #50
D-Man

I have crossed the limit.

Old 7th September 2009, 11:28   #51
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Anyone with Masters in PM?

Folks,

If anyone goes through the advert section of PM Network magazine from PMI, one sees a lot of Masters in Project management online courses. I am not talking about acquiring PDUs - this can be done in N number of ways.
But I'm talking about taking the next step and distinguishing ourselves among certified PMs.

Has anyone a first-hand experience with such courses? These do not require a GRE/GMAT score. Most of them are asynchronous online based.

Inputs appreciated. Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:15   #52
JVH
Senior - BHPian

PMI India Conference, Hyderabad, 13-15th Nov

This is addressed to all the outstation participants attending the conference. How are you folks managing the logistics? Have you guys freezed on a hotel in the vicinity?

I'll be attending the conference and was hoping to team with fellow BHPians.

Any leads would be helpful since I have never been to Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st December 2009, 14:26   #53
BHPian

Friends,

Anybody attending the 35 hour contact program conducted by PMI Bangalore Chapter in Jan 2010? ( Education and Training :: PMI Bangalore Chapter :: ). I am attending and it would be great if there are some fellow TBHPians attending as well.
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:30   #54
BANNED

Anyone knows about PRINCE2 Foundation & PRINCE2 Practitioner Project Management Training - ILX Group plc, UK & worldwide
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:41   #55

SO I am a Prince2 Practitioner - (cleared - 2009 Dec) and also did a in-house course on PMP delivered by our US H.O in 2008. I have done quiet a few projects since my Prince2 using the prince2 methodology and happy to give my view or feedback around it.

Prince2 is a major worldwide project management framework, or methodology and takes a different approach then PMP but the goal of both is to improve project performance. While PMBOK is generally well-accepted worldwide, it is by far the leading approach in North America. PRINCE2 on the other hand is strongest in the United Kingdom, with a strong presence in Europe, Australia, and other typically English-speaking countries outside North America.

Good Luck!
Old 24th December 2009, 03:25   #56
JVH
Senior - BHPian

From what I know, Prince2 is a methodology whereas PMBOK from PMI is a framework.

Both have their own advantages and it is just chosing one according to their project environment and needs. Some have both.

Prince2 is quite popular in UK and Europe where as PMP is popular in North America and South East Asia.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:12   #57
BHPian

Am thinking of taking up the PMP exam. Have a few questions. Appreciate if you could provide some inputs.

1. Is it better to do some study at home before taking up the classes?

2. There are so many training institutes. Any suggestions for the best ones?

3. Does it really add value to managers working in small organizations/startups?
Old 12th January 2010, 20:46   #58
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post

1. Is it better to do some study at home before taking up the classes?
Your on field experience should be good enough for the classes. Some amount of terminology refresher will help

Quote:

2. There are so many training institutes. Any suggestions for the best ones?
Every institute prepares you only for the exam. So it does not matter from which institute you acquire the requsite training hours. I got it from PMCC India. A few of friends atended the local PMI chapter.

Quote:

3. Does it really add value to managers working in small organizations/startups?
The certification is universal and can be applied to managers irrespective of the company size. It basically shows that you are dedicated to the project management profession and are to be taken seriously with sound framework and methodology knowledge. Moreover, recruiters literally come after you if you PMP after your name.

All the best!
Old 12th January 2010, 21:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, recruiters literally come after you if you PMP after your name.
I do not agree with statement, at least in my case it didn't happen or may be I have done it in recession time.
If you already have solid experience as PM then it will help otherwise I do not think so.
Old 12th January 2010, 21:18   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

@smooth, Being PMP certified means that you have sufficient experience in Project Management. Not just passing a written exam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks