Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 22:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spitfire : And i am guessing most of you are IBMers.
Why, has IBM taken over PMI & made it mandatory for it's employees ?

The exam looks very theoritical, but if the PMI methodology is followed, things can look so simple to complete.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Theoritical , no way, have you appeared for the exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

The exam looks very theoritical, but if the PMI methodology is followed, things can look so simple to complete.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:33   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

No : may be that's why I'm saying theoritical ? atleast the seminar was very theoritical.

The concepts were very intresting, though.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:40   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Can a IBMer answer that? I am an ex IBMer. Its not mandatory. Yeah and PMP certified
Old 19th February 2009, 21:31   #35
BHPian

Lost my PDU's twice coz i coudnt prepare coz of work related issues and yes it does seem a lil theoretical until you get very deep into project mgmt and get directly involved with end clients, i find it very useful, more over the Rita Boot is much better than the PMBOK IMO
Old 20th February 2009, 16:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:

While it is not mandatory, IBM believes PMP is very important and hence encourages it's Project Managers and Team Leads to go for PMI certification.
Old 20th February 2009, 16:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Lost my PDU's twice coz i coudnt prepare coz of work related issues and yes it does seem a lil theoretical until you get very deep into project mgmt and get directly involved with end clients, i find it very useful, more over the Rita Boot is much better than the PMBOK IMO
Ditto..I have completed my PMP certification in 2005, but could not complete the formalities associated with PDU registration and recertification, due to work issues.

I also agree that PMBOK is very 'dry' and very thoratical to absorb, thats where the Rita Mulcahy and some discussion groups (specially yahoo) helps.

My organisation was promoting the PMP to get into US IT market few years back, while in Europe based projects they are still using Prince2. In the end it is win-win for both organisation and you - as one gets a nice punchline on proposals (CMM xxn, 50 PHDs, 100 PMPs etc) and you get the certification, which otherwise you would have avoided due to upfront costs and/or efforts involved.
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Im glad to see the thread heading in the right direction.

To let you all know once again, i am preparing for the certification scheduled early next month. I needed some content around 'Delegation' topic as I am told there are 6-8 questions from there. 'Delegation' is not part of PMBOK-3rd edition hence the query. I havent referred to anything beyond PMBOK at this point as I was suggested by PMstudy (my contact hour tutors) folks that just the PMBOK along with the study material extended by PMstudy would be enough. Pls suggest you PMPs...
1. what would you think would be an appropriate approach from here for me and also
2. where do I get extracts for 'Delegation' content.
3. Is Rita or Kim read a mandatory?

Thank you all!

Last edited by The Wolf : 22nd February 2009 at 16:39.
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:04   #39
BHPian

The Wolf,
if you are ready to spend, then I would suggest you to buy a copy of Rita Mulcahy's PMFastrack Exam Simulation Software for the PMP Exam.

It is extremely useful for a PMP aspirant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Im glad to see the thread heading in the right direction.

To let you all know once again, i am preparing for the certification scheduled early next month. I needed some content around 'Delegation' topic as I am told there are 6-8 questions from there. 'Delegation' is not part of PMBOK-3rd edition hence the query. I havent referred to anything beyond PMBOK at this point as I was suggested by PMstudy (my contact hour tutors) folks that just the PMBOK along with the study material extended by PMstudy would be enough. Pls suggest you PMPs...
1. what would you think would be an appropriate approach from here for me and also
2. where do I get extracts for 'Delegation' content.
3. Is Rita or Kim read a mandatory?

Thank you all!
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thank you so much Murali. My intent is to understand the concepts well hence I am not focussing too much on just examination passing techniques however I guess I will have to give equal importance to both... I will try to fetch the cd you are speaking about. Any idea if its locally available or if there is anyone from whom I could borrow it..?

Also, are you a PMP? Any particular basis on which you are recommending this?

Last edited by The Wolf : 22nd February 2009 at 22:03.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:05   #41
BHPian

yes, that is exactly why i referred you to the PMFastrack product. Fairly expensive, but excellent study material.
It is a software which will get installed to your hard-disk, single user only, strictly.

So, doubt if you would be able to borrow from somebody.

Rita's website has a demo copy though.

Hope this helps.

My current job profile includes interaction with lots, i really mean - lots, of PMP aspirants,PMPs and PM Trainers, throughout India, and I know scores of people who have used this product to Learn.

Last edited by MuraliR : 22nd February 2009 at 22:11.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is this PMP certification useful for fresh MBAs ?
Being a fresher you might not meet the eligibility criteria to appear for PMP certification however you could have a look at CAPM programme.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:17   #43
BHPian

Question to all who have been PMP certified for some time-- what is the best way i can collect some PDUs before my certifications get nullified ? I was certified in June 05 and have it valid till June 09. I need to collect PDUs for continuing the certification and havent been able to collect them since i was shuttling between India and US all these years
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
yes, that is exactly why i referred you to the PMFastrack product. Fairly expensive, but excellent study material.
It is a software which will get installed to your hard-disk, single user only, strictly.

So, doubt if you would be able to borrow from somebody.

Rita's website has a demo copy though.

Hope this helps.

My current job profile includes interaction with lots, i really mean - lots, of PMP aspirants,PMPs and PM Trainers, throughout India, and I know scores of people who have used this product to Learn.
Thank you for your inputs Murali, appreciate it! Just out of curiosity, may we know what business are you associated with? Not too many of them runnig businesses will consider being certified in project management as I see it...unless it is related to project management inherently!
Old 24th February 2009, 11:08   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
Question to all who have been PMP certified for some time-- what is the best way i can collect some PDUs before my certifications get nullified ? I was certified in June 05 and have it valid till June 09. I need to collect PDUs for continuing the certification and havent been able to collect them since i was shuttling between India and US all these years
You need to claim 60 PDU for the 3 year cycle, if you are a PMP. I think it is/was 1 PDU per hour of activity.

I think there is a video on the PMI site to help you know how to earn those.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks