Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:49   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi all,i came to know about this PMP only last week and happy to see a thread here

BTW i work for a .com company in marketing ,can i get into Project management ? or business analyst .

Am an MBA with ug in computers
In case you prefer the BA route for your career progression, there's this IIBA (Innternational Institute of Business Analysis) www.theiiba.org which has BABOK on lines similar to PMBOK. Pretty interesting, though not too well known at this point of time.
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Sure buddy! The easiest way is to attend the PMI city chapters. You can get your PDUs and network as well.

If you cannot spare time at a different location, you can enroll for online courses. www.pmtrainingonline.com is one of the websites through which I got most of the PDUs. Its reasonably cheap compared to the other similar websites.

The other option is attend 2 full day seminars. This is most effective if your priority is networking with fellow Project managers. In India, its held once a year. There are conferences in some cities held every quarter, you'll get to know about these if you become a member of PMI (if you are not already).

For about 65 PDUs, it costed me about 430 USD. Yes, its almost equivalent to the fees of PMP exam.

There are several websites who offer free webcasts and webinars as PDUs but in my experience, there is not much you learn from these.

Hope this was useful. All the best!
Thank you buddy..

To all who PM'ed me - I tried sending the file, but the size is huge and not able to do tjat coz of this. I will try to post the link here.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:09   #78
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I'm work for an Indian IT Company as operations manager ( for last one year) leading Service Desk, remote desktop support etc. and have been involved in various transitions/migrations , even the client we're handling I was part of the transition and lead the same for EUC part. I've been thinking of moving to project management in the next 6-12 months and want to clear the PMP before that. Now questions :

1. Will it be beneficial for my career, as in does this fit the piece?
2. How long do you think will it take ( including coaching ) before I'm ready to take the exam and what's the best practice- first self study then classes or vice versa.
3. I really like Project managent as I've been a part and the work is really interesting, with my prior experience will another company hire me in PMO.

I hope I can get some answers as this will help me make up my mind and let me focus ahead.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:25   #79
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post

1. Will it be beneficial for my career, as in does this fit the piece?
Since you are already aware of project management differences vis a vi operations, you will be the best judge. What project management will ensure is uniqueness. It is a good career path alright and more dynamic compared to operations which is more routine.
Quote:

2. How long do you think will it take ( including coaching ) before I'm ready to take the exam and what's the best practice- first self study then classes or vice versa.
2-3 months as recommended by many trainers. It took me 3 months with 1-1.5 hours daily study and the last couple of weeks of sample questions/tests solving

Quote:

3. I really like Project managent as I've been a part and the work is really interesting, with my prior experience will another company hire me in PMO.
Please don't compare the actual project management job with PMO. PMO is more of a governing body whose job is more or less projects-admin related. PMO is powerful in any organization but they do not play any role in day to day project management activities. They help in identifying projects, programs from a portfolio which is in turn related to strategy, provide you organization templates, case studies, best practices, lessons learned gyan et al. A PMO staff is also assigned for regular project auditing and tracking the status.

So, if you like the dynamism involved in the role, poject management it is for you. If it is something routine and more process driven, PMO it is. Project management is also process driven but emphasis is more on a little bit of everything - cost, scope, stakeholders, timelines, results, value addition, ROI...etc

Edit - TheWolf, been a while since we heard from you on the subject. Busy with the job? :-)

Last edited by JVH : 24th June 2010 at 11:43.
Old 26th June 2010, 00:00   #80
BHPian

Thanks JVH, appreciate you taking out time to respond to my query. Others, need more pointers here before I make up my mind.

I really want to get out of operations and move towards Service management or PM. Your inputs will help me decide.

As for my experience, I will complete 7 years of professional experience in October overall, most it was in technical helpdesk contact centre. I also worked for a UK telecom company as their vendor manager in India (Primarily managing wipro BPO).
Old 8th July 2010, 18:59   #81
BHPian

@TheWolf: What's your status? Have you cleared PMP?

@Superleggera: Congrats!

Guys, what is the latest edition of Rita Mulcahy? And is there a place where I can download the soft copy of it?

I will be attending a 4 day course at PMCC India, Bangalore starting this weekend. Any t-bhpian planning for that batch? Please PM me.

Never mind! I just found a link where you can download Rita Mulcahy 6th Edition aligned with PMBOK 4th Edition! The latest! here you go!!

http://www.technologylib.com/2009/10...sixth-edition/

Last edited by whitesquall : 8th July 2010 at 19:17. Reason: found the info
Old 8th July 2010, 20:00   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

@Whitesquall - Rita Mulcahy is on the 6th ed. Approx 5k if you want to buy it.

Btw, the link you provided doesnt work
Old 8th July 2010, 20:34   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Whitesquall - Rita Mulcahy is on the 6th ed. Approx 5k if you want to buy it.

Btw, the link you provided doesnt work
Hi Condor,

The link does work man! it has one more download link at the bottom of the page. Here it is anyway:

www.space4upload.info/showfile-2929/Ebookz_9781932735185-1932735186.zip
Old 8th July 2010, 20:48   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, it does. But the 26MB pdf file makes system resources scarce.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:41   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sorry, it does. But the 26MB pdf file makes system resources scarce.
Hey! anything worth Rs.5K that you are getting for free needs appreciation!
Old 10th July 2010, 11:18   #86
BHPian

I have a query on the eligibility. My experience is on Network operations and support.
Would this exp be counted for the eligibility of 4500 hours?

And does anyone have PMBoK 4th edition soft copy which can be shared?
I have the 3rd edition in softcopy and 4th in hard photocopy.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
The link does work man! it has one more download link at the bottom of the page. Here it is anyway:
This link works for me too. Thanks. The PDF file looks like a scanned copy.
Any links for PMBoK 4th edition?
Old 18th July 2010, 13:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Can someone recommend a good book on Software Project Management, my manager has been running behind me asking me to read a good Project Management book. This despite she saying that I am good in doing managing them practically.

She says theoritical knowledge always helps. Thought of reading PMBOK initially, but later thught if there was any book specific Software projects then that would be even better.

Any suggestions??
Old 18th July 2010, 16:33   #89
BHPian

Strongly suggest you use Rita Mulcahy's book. Check for the latest edition.
Old 18th July 2010, 20:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Can someone recommend a good book on Software Project Management, my manager has been running behind me asking me to read a good Project Management book. This despite she saying that I am good in doing managing them practically.

She says theoritical knowledge always helps. Thought of reading PMBOK initially, but later thught if there was any book specific Software projects then that would be even better.

Any suggestions??
You can check Agile Project Management using SCRUM- since most of the SW develeopments are iterative this one might help you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks