Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 16:52   #241
BHPian

re: Are you a PMP (Project Management Professional)?

Nice to see a PMP thread in Team BHP. I passed my PMP with 3 P's and 2 MP's in December 2014. My recipe for success is:

1. Enroll for a 35 hour contact class program (I did it with Knowledgewoods. My trainer was a person by name of Nitin. He explained every concept in detail and prep notes provided was useful till the very end).

A classroom coaching really helps to get a feel of what is in store for the next 2 months for your PMP prep.

Next steps:

1. Read Rita Mulcahy 8th edition - 1 days per chapter.
2. Do NOT do any practice test given at each chapter
3. Read Rita Mulcahy Quick Tests on a daily basis. Ensure you can recall the concept of each term given under every knowledge area.
4. Finish reading Rita Mulcahy and do all practice tests given at the end of chapter in one go. Aim to score atleast 75%.
5. Read EdWel_PMP-Exam-Prep-Manual-Online Free-5_1b.pdf
6. Understand each concept and do practice tests 'Memorize it', which tests your concepts
7. Give prime importance to the following:
a. Change Management Process and steps
b. Closing a project and steps.
c. Rita Process Chart. Memorize Planning Process in the correct sequence. Refer Rita_PM Processes
7. Memorize all Math formulas
8. Attachment - Bookmarks of important PMP prep websites

Checkpoint:
1. You should score atleast 75% above in all practice tests. This will ensure that you are in shape for the exam.

Daily Basis:
1. Memorize 47 processes (pg 61 of PMBOK_5)
2. Read Rita Mulcahy Quick Test on a daily basis. Ensure you can recall the concept of each term given under every knowledge area.
3. Understand each Input, Tool Technique, Output for each knowledge area and how it co-relates to each other. You CANNOT memorize it.
4. Understand each Project Document, its purpose and use in each knowledge area and process group. Refer Rita QuickTests -> Project Documents
5. Memorize Rita Planning Process. Refer Rita_PM Processes
6. Memorize Change Management Process and Steps. Refer EdWel_PMP-Exam-Prep-Manual-Online Free-5_1b.pdf (pg 4-16)
7. Memorize Closing a project and steps. Refer EdWel_PMP-Exam-Prep-Manual-Online Free-5_1b.pdf (pg 4-18)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vikram_PMP_bookmarks.zip (9.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 13th January 2017, 09:31   #242
BHPian

Re: The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian

Hi Folks
Has anyone appeared and passed PMI ACP exam. If yes and wants to share some books/study materials please let me know. I am eager to pick up
Anyone preparing for exam we can further connect
Further anyone need help in preparing PMI PMP let me know. I can pass some study materials

Last edited by aka_iitd : 13th January 2017 at 09:47.
Old 12th April 2017, 11:17   #243
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to take up PMP certification within the next two months. I am intending to join a training center which would help me in understanding the concepts. I am also looking at one which provides me support in terms of materials, online content, PDU's as well as mock tests. Can any of you suggest which training center is good? I am based out of Bangalore (south bangalore to be precise) and would prefer to enroll for the weekend classes.

P.S : I did get reference of a academy called StarPMO. They are quoting 11k all inclusive for 4 weekend classes plus training material plus 15 online mock tests along with PDU's. Is that academy any good?
Old 12th April 2017, 11:29   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am planning to take up PMP certification within the next two months. I am intending to join a training center which would help me in understanding the concepts. I am also looking at one which provides me support in terms of materials, online content, PDU's as well as mock tests. Can any of you suggest which training center is good? I am based out of Bangalore (south bangalore to be precise) and would prefer to enroll for the weekend classes.

P.S : I did get reference of a academy called StarPMO. They are quoting 11k all inclusive for 4 weekend classes plus training material plus 15 online mock tests along with PDU's. Is that academy any good?
I did it via SABCONS, but it was way back in 2009. I don't think they have weekend classes, but was very impressed with the training and the instructor Mr Sriprasad.

Not sure how the standards are currently though.

http://www.sabcons.com/sabcons-training-calendar
Old 12th April 2017, 11:32   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

I have attend 4 days workshop with Knowledgewoods. They provide class room based training, PDU certificate for applying exam, Online mock tests, excellent study materials and help in prep application. Major centers (bangi, chennai, Mumbai delhi and HYD) will have one batch almost every month.

My exp with them was good and yeah I cleared PMP in 2014

Disclaimer: not associated with that coaching center
Old 12th April 2017, 12:41   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I did it via SABCONS, but it was way back in 2009. I don't think they have weekend classes, but was very impressed with the training and the instructor Mr Sriprasad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
I have attend 4 days workshop with Knowledgewoods.
Thanks Rejeevraj & Reisender. I will check the details from those centers along with few others and check. I was checking Simplilearn but they have only webex online classes. I would not be so comfortable attending over webex.
Old 11th October 2017, 21:30   #247
BHPian

I earned my PMP credentials on 27th September with 4 Above Target and 1 Target (Monitoring and Controlling). PMI has recently (from Aug 2017) made changes to the performance level of the PMI Exams from a 3-level (Above Proficient, Proficient & Below Proficient) to 4-level (Above Target, Target, Below Target, Needs Improvement) for the 5 Domains.

I am posting my experience here as I have got valuable information from this thread during my preparation and I hope my post also helps someone.

Time Taken - 2.5 Months, average study time below:
Mid-July to Mid-August – 2 hours per day (4-6 hours on weekends)
Mid-August to 20th September– 3 Hours per day (6-8 hours on weekends)
5 days before exam – 8-9 hours per day (off work)

Cost: Spent close to 45K INR including books, 35 contact hours, PMI membership and exam fee.

I got the 35 contact hours from the PMP course offered by GreyCampus (3 mock tests included).

The study guides I used for my preparation were:
1. Head First PMP (3rd Edition)
2. PMP Exam Prep (8th Edition Updated by Rita Mulcahy)
3. PMBOK 5th Edition (free with PMI membership)

Along with this I used multiple online resources as below:

1. https://edward-designer.com/web/pmp/ (It helped me a lot starting from filling up the application form, mock exams, study notes, earning PDUs)
2. https://www.izenbridge.com/videos/ (Saket Bansal videos)
3. http://www.dummies.com/careers/proje...certification/
4. PMP Exam Mentor Android App (lot of practice questions)
5. Various online mock tests and questions (All Free)
6. Lessons learned from PMPs around the world which helped and motivated me a lot during my preparation.

• Application process was smooth and got approval email from PMI within a week to schedule the exam
• Exam was scheduled on 27th September
• Serious preparation started around mid-July. I studied the Head First PMP and PMP Exam Prep by Rita Mulcahy twice (first time superficial reading and second time with exercises).
• During the second pass I also tried to do at least 1 or 2 full length mock test every weekend and practice questions whenever I got time.
• Started PMBOK guide during second week of September and completed in 1 week.
• Stopped studying by afternoon on 26th.
• For Final exam I got a lot of scenario based questions but I think the practice questions helped a lot in answering those questions.
• I got a very few EVM questions but that too were not direct. I finished the 200 questions in approximately 3 hours 35 minutes with one 5-minute break I took.
• I quickly started reviewing all the questions and changed a few options which I felt incorrect
• Was able to review only 50 questions and stopped reviewing when there was 1 minute left.
• Finally I saw the Congratulations message and felt relieved to see my performance.

Final verdict:

1. There are a lot of resources available for PMP. I was overwhelmed at first, then I shortlisted what I needed to study. Do not try to study all the books that are available, select only 1 or 2 and focus on it.
2. I did not memorize anything except for a few difficult EVM formulas and the 47 processes in right order.
3. Mock tests/questions helps a lot. It does not matter how many questions you attempted but how many different types of questions you attempted. I spent considerable time on each question and for each wrong answer I did the complete analysis on what I did wrong.
4. I had an average score between 70-75%(sometimes less) in the mock tests. A few websites claim that we need to get at least 75-80% in mock tests to pass the exam. Mock test scores are never a benchmark for actual exam, they are just for practice.
5. Go through PMBOK once, it helps understanding the data flow.

Last edited by jayantvs : 11th October 2017 at 21:31.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 22:23   #248
Senior - BHPian

I am a certified PRINCE2 Practitioner, ITIL, Certified Scrum Master, Six Sigma Green Belt and also certified in Design Thinking. I also have the 35 PDUs for PMP but never gave the exam. I am in Transition Management and found PMP to be very IT focused and prescriptive at the time, hence the move to PRINCE2 which catered to any type of project and also very flexible.

Now I see a growing acceptance of PRINCE2 all around. Be it in job vacancies or when we have discussions with the client even US. Now I am wondering if it is going to make a vast difference in getting a PMP done as well. Inputs appreciated.
Old 12th October 2017, 00:39   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
.....Now I am wondering if it is going to make a vast difference in getting a PMP done as well. Inputs appreciated.
I am fairly new to Project management field but what I understand is that PMP and PRINCE2 are complementary. While PMP is a Standard and PRINCE2 is a methodology. There are companies which prefer PMPs compared to regular PMs to shortlist candidates.
Coming to your question I don't think PMP would make any vast difference but there is no harm in adding another item to your list of achievements.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:10   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Nice to see a PMP thread in Team BHP. I passed my PMP with 3 P's and 2 MP's in December 2014. .
Hi, have you done the renewal of your PMP credential yet. How did you go about accruing PDU's.
I am approaching renewal in Oct 2018 and want to prepare in advance to avoid any surprises.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:00   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
How did you go about accruing PDU's.
A number of ways:

1. Webinars/Podcasts. There are a number of webinars (both free and paid) available online that you can watch to claim PDUs. You need to keep a watch on the talent triangle requirements though and accumulate PDUs from each area.

Some of the resources that I have used are:

https://www.projectmanagement.com
https://www.projecttimes.com
http://www.project-management-podcast.com

2. Enroll in a 60 PDU course. They are of course paid and expensive. Usually best done if they are corporate sponsored.

3. Work experience. Max 8 allowed now.

4. Write white papers/books. Technically unlimited PDUs but you need 35 in the talent triangle, so you can really only take 25 here in a cycle. Also, there is a lot of scrutiny done on this category.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:54   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
A number of ways:
Thanks for this, my limited research gave me similar options. Any particular 60PDU course that is recommended, any recommended providers?

I also have to get my CBAP renewed, on the look out for options that would let me accrue units for both.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:59   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Any particular 60PDU course that is recommended, any recommended providers?
I really haven't used the 60 PDU course option given the cost constraints. Only took the 35 PDU PMP prep as the company was offering the course for all managers.

Would suggest you try the webinars before going the course route (if at all). I haven't spent any money accruing PDUs in the last 10 years.
Old 17th January 2018, 00:04   #254
BHPian

Today, I graduated from being an aspiring PMP to a Certified PMP - What an awesome feeling it is. Words can't describe how much relieved I'm now.

I had been wanting to do PMP for a long time now. Took the PDU classes in Aug'2015 and then forgot about it. My trainer used to message me now and then asking me to start preparing - but, I didn't.

Link between cars, drive and my PMP prep -
Me, wifey and son went on a drive to Kumbakonam and nearby areas (Chozha dynasty temples) in September and came back to Chennai on 17th September. While driving back, I was telling my wife that I wish to do something towards my career profile and actually did not know what to. The next day (18-Sep), while in office, I just started to skim thru' PMBOK without even a remotest intention of writing PMP exam. I then thought, "lets read thru' and see how it goes". I was definitely not planning to give the exam.

Slowly, the casual skimming thru' turned out to actual preparation and by around November 25th, I was done with both PMBOK and Rita (each once).
Reason for the delay being -
Diwali, viral fever (due to excessive reading as per my wife ), couple of other functions, office work and more importantly - I was not "preparing" in the true sense of the word.

I had also got approval for my application from PMI by then.

Started the 2nd reading of Rita and finished by Dec-12th or so. I wanted to give the exam by 1st week of January because if at all I flunk in my first attempt, I wanted to give another shot before 26th March by when 6th edition would be in place.

I was on leave during the last week of December and took a few mock tests. My confidence level was not that great to give the exam in first week of Jan as I had earlier planned & hence postponed it further. And, only last Saturday (13th) did I decide that I will give the exam today (16th Jan) - come what may.

Passed with 4 "Above Target" and 1 "Below Target" (Closing). The exam was really difficult. Most of the questions were situation-based, and most of them had more than one "correct" answer.

I completed my first pass (completing all 200 questions) in around 2.5 hours. To be exact, I had 1:23 minutes remaining to review the loads and loads of marked answers.

Do reach out to me if you need any assistance. Would try to add more details about the study material and resources shortly.

Cheers!

Last edited by callvvijay : 17th January 2018 at 00:07.
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:22   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

Now I see a growing acceptance of PRINCE2 all around. Be it in job vacancies or when we have discussions with the client even US. Now I am wondering if it is going to make a vast difference in getting a PMP done as well. Inputs appreciated.
I have been in the outsourcing industry for about 14 years all of which was in PM. I took up PMP certification and did a 35hr course as mandated way back in 2005, but never got to complete certification. Even then, my greatest years as a PM was between 2008 and 2013 with large scale programs and managing a multitude of PMs. I never felt the need for a certification apart from increasing your market value, but i guess the experience more than covered that area. And then i moved from PM to MC. 5 years on and still enjoying MC.

By the way, this is not to discourage any PMP takers, but is a perspective that i have. Industry has moved from waterfall to Agile. Its all about being SCRUM masters now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks