Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 13:34   #211
BHPian

re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have individual health insurance for my family members (Myself, Wife, Mother, 2 kids) from United Health Insurance. All family members are covered for Rs. 2.5 lakhs each and the total annual premium is Rs. 14000. The policy has been active for the last 5 years and I have not made any claim so far.

The agent is advising me to shift to Star health insurance citing cashless settlement issues with United India TPA. My family (Myself, Wife and 2 kids) will go into a family floater plan (5 lakhs coverage for 9k annual premium) where as my mother has to take a separate policy (3 lakhs coverage for 9k) after doing medical tests. The reviews online about star health is not good. I doubt whether he is pushing it for more commision. What do you guys suggest?
Hi

You have got it right about the reviews regarding Star Health Insurance - the agent may have vested interests happens all the time - in your particular case it is more viable to opt for Max Bupa

Cheers!
DRIVEPASSION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 13:54   #212
BHPian

A friends father has recently been diagnosed with Cancer and he will be undergoing surgery + chemo.

He already has insurance cover, but would like to increase it considering that future expenses may go up. Any suggestions on what policies would cover a pre-existing illness with minimum waiting period. His age is 62.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:25   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Thank you F50 will check the site of OIC.
Hope the services are ok. Pls let me know if any body has experiences with these companies' claim procedure and duration.
Hi, I am also interested in feedback on Oriental Health Insurance plan. Since my office has discontinued the group insurance I need to get an individual insurance covering myself, Wife, Daughter & Father (70 yrs). Most of my office staff has opted for OIC & i am also considering it, however, a lot of -ve on the net about non payment of claims by this company. In case anyone from us has had an experience with OIC, please share to strengthen my decision "for" or "against" OIC.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:29   #214
BHPian

I have a medi-claim policy from my company through National Insurance for myself, wife, son and parents (mother 55 and father 60). In this company pays premium for me, wife and son, whereas I pay monthly premium for my parents. I’m planning to quite the job and moving abroad in the next three months. I would like to know whether I can retain the same policy from the National Insurance even after resigning from the job, by paying the complete premium. If not, what other options do I have? My father is a heart patient (already underwent angiography once) and he has high BP too. For my company medi-claim policy I have not given any health check-up certificate for my dad and mom. In case if I have to take a fresh policy do I have to furnish a health check-up certificate to National Insurance? Could you please let me know any other good medi claim policies for my parents?
Old 4th June 2012, 08:15   #215
BHPian

Re: Star Health vs Max Bupa vs Apollo Munich?

I looked around on health insurance for my father aged 74 years. Star health has a plan and the premium is 14k for 3 lakh of coverage. Max Bupa has asked for 43k for similar coverage. Apollo Munich, the sales guy is yet to turn up.

Who among these three provide the best customer service and has coverage on all health issues? And, who would be the best bet for a senior citizen?

Please advise.
Old 4th June 2012, 22:48   #216
BANNED

When I went to pay my premium last week, the office at United India told me that NCB for Health Insurance is withdrawn in India.

Is there any truth in that statement ?
Old 5th June 2012, 15:25   #217
SBR
BHPian

My recent experience with Star Health.

I have a Family Health Optima policy from Star Health for SA of INR 4 lacs which covers me. wifey and my 3 year old daughter. I pay a Annual premium of Rs. 5,300/- approximately.

I had taken this policy in Jan 2010 and its been close to 2.5 years now since the policy started.

Recently, unfortunately to say, my 3 year old had to be hospitalized in emergency for oral infection. We rushed her to a close by neighborhood hospital. Post hospitalization, I realized that the hospital was part of listed hospitals in Star Health. I submitted the Health card of my kid with a copy of my insurance document.

On day four, when my kid was discharged, all I had to pay was 10% of the total bill and the rest was approved by Star Health. Overall, a good experience with Star Health in a crisis situation.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:47   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
My recent experience with Star Health.

I have a Family Health Optima policy from Star Health for SA of INR 4 lacs which covers me. wifey and my 3 year old daughter. I pay a Annual premium of Rs. 5,300/- approximately.

I had taken this policy in Jan 2010 and its been close to 2.5 years now since the policy started.

On day four, when my kid was discharged, all I had to pay was 10% of the total bill and the rest was approved by Star Health. Overall, a good experience with Star Health in a crisis situation.
Thanks for updating your experience. I am currently contemplating if I should continue with my health insurance. Also please update this thread if your premium is increased during renewal due to this claim.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:54   #219
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Thanks for updating your experience. I am currently contemplating if I should continue with my health insurance. Also please update this thread if your premium is increased during renewal due to this claim.

I would definitely recommend Star Health based on my personal experience with them. My renewal is due next in Jan 2013, this is when I would get to know on the premium increase.

I am also planning to increase the SA from the current INR 4 lacs to INR 5 lacs. Star Health family insurance offers a maximum coverage of INR 5 lacs for a family of two adults & two kids.
Old 17th June 2012, 23:41   #220
BHPian

is it possible to continue/take over the same medical insurance policy (originally provided by the employer, 50% of premium paid by employee) after one has left/changed the job if one is willing to pay the full premium?

my fiancee wants to leave her job and try freelancing so trying to figure out a way to maintain her parents' medical coverage (age 57, and 50).
Old 26th September 2012, 14:04   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

I need to get health insurance done for my entire family of:

Dad: 65 years
Mom: 55 years
Brother: 23 years
Me: 31 years

No company stuff, both brother and I are independent entrepreneurs. But I want to do the annual health cover for my entire family (hospitalization, disease cover) etc.

Which is the best policy to go for? Any complications since my folks are older?
Old 26th September 2012, 14:56   #222
Senior - BHPian

^^AFAIK Star Health is the only company issuing new policies for people above 55 years of age.

@Infotech 58

Generally it will not be possible as they will be group insurance policies.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th September 2012 at 14:58.
Old 26th September 2012, 15:30   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner
I need to get health insurance done for my entire family of:

Dad: 65 years
Mom: 55 years
Brother: 23 years
Me: 31 years

No company stuff, both brother and I are independent entrepreneurs. But I want to do the annual health cover for my entire family (hospitalization, disease cover) etc.

Which is the best policy to go for? Any complications since my folks are older?
Look at the family plan of max bupa.
Old 27th September 2012, 09:21   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys. Just decided to read this entire thread from one end to the other, and here are a few points summarizing key facts I've gleaned:

1. Family floater plans work for families including parents (in some cases) - add on rider for critical illnesses in the first year or a year later

2. Check for life-long coverage - allows you to keep renewing your health insurance policy until you're a 100 years old

3. Sub limits - sometimes there are limits for how much you get reimbursed for certain emergencies - check

4. Diseases covered/not covered - simple, just run through the policy document

5. Entry age especially for older folks - only a few insurance companies are helpful here.

These are just some of the things to keep in mind as you begin comparing policies on the net. Will wrap my research this week-end and post back my findings.
Old 27th September 2012, 09:41   #225
BHPian

I have Star Health for my parents, my dad aged 70 and Mom aged 65. I pay a total of 18k for 2L cover - each.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks