Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 12:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pest Control - Lizards

Hey,
I trained with Bayer in 06, and as far as i recall, lizards aint classified as pests.
In fact, it was(is?) illegal to market lizard poisons.that's why you arent able to find them.
If you have them its usually an indication of too many insects.
Get rid of the insects, lizards will go too.

additionally, try sprinkling boric acid at spots where you think they enter from.

As for the running,jumping, chasing bit, i empathize....
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 12:20   #17
BHPian

Read somewhere that broken egg shells placed on entry points like vents, windows, etc scare these lizards.
Also check whether there are gaps in the bottom of your entry doors, Window ACs, etc
Old 24th March 2011, 12:23   #18
BHPian

Try placing a couple of empty egg shells in the room. Just pierce a small hole in the shell and take all the yolk out, fry an omlet and have it. Wash the empty shell and place it at any convenient place. Works wonders with lizards
Old 24th March 2011, 13:18   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Common House Geckos which are called Lizards are not really pests. They are an important part of the ecosystem which we have anyway destroyed terribly. They are very useful in keeping down insects and other such. Would suggest you do a pest control in your house to keep down the insects and you will see that the Gecko population also migrates elsewhere.
Old 24th March 2011, 13:50   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Common House Geckos which are called Lizards are not really pests. They are an important part of the ecosystem which we have anyway destroyed terribly. They are very useful in keeping down insects and other such. Would suggest you do a pest control in your house to keep down the insects and you will see that the Gecko population also migrates elsewhere.
No insects in the house other than the odd mosquitoes.
Old 24th March 2011, 14:00   #21
BHPian

Some years back we had a cat named 'ponni'. She was very efficient in catching lizards & spiders.
She would climb up the windows & curtains, and do acrobatics to catch & eat them. We used to enjoy watching her in action!
Old 24th March 2011, 14:00   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

have a pest control job done anyway - even geckos tend to vanish for a while when pest control is done as per my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No insects in the house other than the odd mosquitoes.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Couldn't find any thread in Shifting gears related to this, so made a new thread.

I have some lizard problems in my house. I have mosquito grills on all my windows, so I am not sure where these are entering from.
- 10-15 minutes a day may be the sliding mosquito grills are opened - may be they are entering at that time.
- Have occasionally seen lizards in the staircase & corridor of my building. So may be they enter when the main doors are opened for a few minutes. We never keep doors open for long times - only when someone comes in or taking delivery of stuff etc.

The wife is very scared of lizards & this is causing a problem. Every time a lizard enters, I have go around chasing it & throwing it out while she locks herself in the other room.

I was wondering if any Pest Control companies offer good solutions for lizards. I checked the Pecopp Website but they don't seem to have anything. If anyone else has used any services to avoid lizards do post your experiences n this thread.

Googling also indicates there are electric lizard repellents which emit some high pitched sound to deter lizards. Anyone knows where I can buy these?
We have the same issue in our house.Only difference is even i am afraid of lizards.
So i need to call my brother to do the chasing stuff.Google search does not reveal any methods to get rid of these creatures.
I might try the boric acid and egg shell trick.Thanks guys.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

I was recently called to take a big lizard out of a neighbour's flat. I took the poor thing to the garden and let it go. In my old rented house, there were a few of them. I used to like them since they catch all the other insects. My wife is afraid of them, but she can tolerate them. So we just let them be. They are not harmful and normally mind their own business. They are not present in my current house.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:03   #25
BHPian

Fear of Geckos (common house lizard) is completely irrational. Geckos feed on mosquitoes, flies, other pests and their larvae. Having lizards is actually good for your family's health. Please leave them alone, they do you no harm.

I have two in my bathroom and I love watching them freeze as soon as I enter. I admire their big eyes, translucent skin and also plan to name them.

My GF is also terribly afraid of spiders but we don't harm them as they control the ant and fly population. Live and let live!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 24th March 2011 at 17:04.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am not afraid of lizards, but have an uncontrollable revulsion towards them. I leave them alone till I notice a few of them grown to the size of baby crocodiles or I feel there is a population explosion - lizard population, that is. Then I will select a Sunday to go on a lizard hunt, armed with a broom - the one made out of coconut leaf spines, not the soft ones. It is quite an art to kill them without staining your walls, and requires long practice!

My wife will sometimes meekly object, and I tell her it is culling, not killing! Then peace will reign till the pre-conditions mentioned earlier exist.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:44   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Some years back we had a cat named 'ponni'. She was very efficient in catching lizards & spiders.
She would climb up the windows & curtains, and do acrobatics to catch & eat them. We used to enjoy watching her in action!

I used to sweep them off the walls for my cat. Then he became so addicted, he would not allow the house maid to sweep the floor as he started salivating every time she held a broom in her hand!! Always pounced on the broom thinking a lizard was underneath. I even ended up breaking their eggs and observe the fetus inside many times while hunting for my cat. Having observed them so much during my childhood, I now have learned to admire them and respect their right to life. Yes I too have spent hours fascinated by their actions and "street fights" with other lizzies. Having a cat at home can be your own live Nat Geo channel - I once watched my kitty observe a lizzie patiently on the ceiling then make a rapid move up the door curtain over the curtain rod, somersault in the air and swipe it off the ceiling, land on the floor and pounce in on the dazed lizzie that landed with a splat - all in one quick move!! This happened over half an hour of stalking and both the lizzie and cat were having a "face-off" up till then. Made my day completely .. didn't need to watch TV for the rest of the evening!!

I think we need to allow them their space to live as rightly said by other members. This world is not just for humans.

But having a family member with particular phobia's puts one in a dilemma I guess. Please consider if the phobia can be treated rather than go on a life long killing spree.

All the best.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 24th March 2011 at 17:53.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:56   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ +1000 to that.My wife has a tremendous phobia, so i take care not to have bugs around.You could try a simple exercise.Trail the bugs away.Put an old fashioned 60w yellow bulb as far away from your sleeping area as possible(anon-frequented room, perhaps).If there are any bugs about, tehy'll settle there.Trust me, the lizards dont want to have anything to do with you, as much or probably more than you dont.there is no herd-mentality, so it wont filter to the others even if you kill a few.others will arrive.bugs, thats all there is to it.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:27   #29
BHPian

Lets face it. There is no way you can get rid of lizards. I never tried the Boric acid and the egg shells but my friend did with no response from the lizards. First of all, they are more afraid of you than you are to them and you probably know it. But the Bitter, sorry, better halves have a phobia for no reason and you are tired of running around with a broom hoping to get rid of it.

If you kill it, another lizard will take its place very soon. I dont know how but it just happens. This means that they have their ways.

There was one device which was supposed to emit sound frequencies that were not audible by the human ear by scared them away. I had one which did well for 3 months but then I guess it stopped as the lizards were back... or may be the lizards evolved???

Bottomline, best thing is to live with them.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Once I was working at client site away from city and we were placed in a clean guest house. The bathroom however had a window facing an open field. We are at the ground floor. We had problems as the lizards/chameleons would crop up from anywhere around the comod and I used to spring up uncomfortably.
The locals asked me to do the egg shell trick but in vain. It did not work.
What works is living on higher up floors and having netting on all windows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks