Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pest Control options for Homes

About 8 months ago, we got Godrej HiCare Intelligel treatment done in our home. Godrej claims it is totally hassle free and safe for the occupants. The cockroaches have disappeared, but the real issue is not that.

From the past 6 months or so my Mom is having some stomach issues. Have consulted many doctors, and they all claim this could be an allergic reaction to some food items, but are not able to determine what. I doubt if this could be related to the pest treatment done.

Has anyone used Godrej HiCare services and faced similar issues or know about something like this? A search on the web returned only 1 related result- Jag
Old 23rd April 2009, 00:15   #2
BHPian

I have used pest control solutions from various companies including Godrej. Nobody has reported any illness so far. I am no expert, but this sounds like a problem brought on by contaminated water. My suggestions would be to check your purifier and get your overhead tank cleaned.
Also, did you empty out all kitchen shelves during the pest control process or were the utensils and crockery inside.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
About 8 months ago, we got Godrej HiCare Intelligel treatment done in our home. Godrej claims it is totally hassle free and safe for the occupants. The cockroaches have disappeared, but the real issue is not that.

From the past 6 months or so my Mom is having some stomach issues. Have consulted many doctors, and they all claim this could be an allergic reaction to some food items, but are not able to determine what. I doubt if this could be related to the pest treatment done.

Has anyone used Godrej HiCare services and faced similar issues or know about something like this? A search on the web returned only 1 related result- Jag
I doubt water. We had been using Aquaguard (without Reverse Osmosis) in my previous home. I started using it in my new apartment as the builder claimed that we are getting Cauvery water. Everyone in the family started getting stomach issues, though it was severe for my wife and mother. I checked the disolved impurities and it was within limit. I got it checked again when I came to know that the apartment is also getting tanker lorry water due to shortage of Cauvery water. This time the disolved impurities level was high. I installed a Kent RO water purifier and since then there are no issues. The water taste and quality is as good as a mineral water.

I would recommend you to get the water checked from Eureka Forbes or Kent. Do proper research as the sales executive would most porbably just try to sell the product. It would also be good to test two samples of water collected at different periods.

Hope your mom will be alright soon.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 23rd April 2009 at 11:15.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies guys. I didn't think about the water issue since only my Mom is affected. In case of water contamination, wouldn't everyone in the house be affected? I'll get the water tested nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Also, did you empty out all kitchen shelves during the pest control process or were the utensils and crockery inside.
No, the shelves were not emptied and all the items were inside.
Why do you ask that? Godrej claims that their process is completely harmless and no need to move anything.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your replies guys. I didn't think about the water issue since only my Mom is affected. In case of water contamination, wouldn't everyone in the house be affected? I'll get the water tested nevertheless.
and meanwhile get some alternative water supply for Mom.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, the shelves were not emptied and all the items were inside.
Why do you ask that? Godrej claims that their process is completely harmless and no need to move anything.
I don't think shelves need to be emptied. That is because they don't spray anything. So chemicals wont get into food / water.

Jaugar,

Is this a pink colour solution that they stick to lots of places in the home ? If that is the case then it is pretty safe "unless it falls in some food item".
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
and meanwhile get some alternative water supply for Mom.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.
We use the 20l bottled water for drinking purposes. Will get that tested as well. Usually buy kingfisher but they (dealer) sometimes to pass on other brands stating non availability of KF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I don't think shelves need to be emptied. That is because they don't spray anything. So chemicals wont get into food / water.

Jaugar,

Is this a pink colour solution that they stick to lots of places in the home ? If that is the case then it is pretty safe "unless it falls in some food item".
Yes it is the same and I am sure it didn't fall into any food items. Just worried if the chemicals can cause allergic reactions to some people.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

We used Godrej and no problems.

It may be sudden food intolerance. You might want to take an alacat blood test. www.alacat.com . Full tests costs 20k but it could isolate the problem. It helped in overcoming some allergies in my case ...at least knowing what to avoid
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Don't think they can cause reaction unless they come in contact somehow.

A dermatologist would have first hand knowledge since this is used by lots of homes and dermatologist would know recurring issues related to this particular chemical.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

We have Godrej HiCare itself. I was too busy working to even step outta the room during the operation so can confirm it has no ill effects on health
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Usually buy kingfisher but they (dealer) sometimes to pass on other brands stating non availability of KF.
Avoid these 'other brands'. My friend's mom got sick drinking bottled water from one of these local brands. In my experience, KF, Bisleri, Bagpiper and RC are good. Bisleri is probably the best.
Not everybody will get sick from contaminated water because of varying resistance levels. Once six of us drank water from the cooler in our college and only one got jaundice
I am very finicky about these things and usually empty all shelves and cupboards before getting any kind of pest control done. But this is probably not the cause for your mom's illness since no one else has reported ill effects.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
We used Godrej and no problems.

It may be sudden food intolerance. You might want to take an alacat blood test. www.alacat.com . Full tests costs 20k but it could isolate the problem. It helped in overcoming some allergies in my case ...at least knowing what to avoid
Where did you take the test in bangy?
The official website mentions only one facility, Food & Health Labs Pvt. Ltd, Domlur. Will check with them tomorrow.

Btw, the correct link is www.alcat.com
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

I also am planning to get termite treatment done for my guesthouse in Jaipur and home in jaipur. The executive mentioned that there is no spraying involved, just drilling and pouring of the chemical in the holes. When asked about any side affects on humans he said none but I could make out he wasnt sure about it, so have asked him to check neverthless. Will update once he comes back to me.

Since lot of you guys have got such treatment done, may I know the rates you have paid for such treatment done (termite) and discounts if any!! Would help me in closing the deal.

Hope I havnt gone off topic here.
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where did you take the test in bangy?
The official website mentions only one facility, Food & Health Labs Pvt. Ltd, Domlur. Will check with them tomorrow.

Btw, the correct link is www.alcat.com
I took it from them. You can spea to Surabhi and mention my name (ajit)
Old 24th March 2011, 12:04   #15
BANNED

Pest Control - Lizards

Couldn't find any thread in Shifting gears related to this, so made a new thread.

I have some lizard problems in my house. I have mosquito grills on all my windows, so I am not sure where these are entering from.
- 10-15 minutes a day may be the sliding mosquito grills are opened - may be they are entering at that time.
- Have occasionally seen lizards in the staircase & corridor of my building. So may be they enter when the main doors are opened for a few minutes. We never keep doors open for long times - only when someone comes in or taking delivery of stuff etc.

The wife is very scared of lizards & this is causing a problem. Every time a lizard enters, I have go around chasing it & throwing it out while she locks herself in the other room.

I was wondering if any Pest Control companies offer good solutions for lizards. I checked the Pecopp Website but they don't seem to have anything. If anyone else has used any services to avoid lizards do post your experiences n this thread.

Googling also indicates there are electric lizard repellents which emit some high pitched sound to deter lizards. Anyone knows where I can buy these?

Last edited by carboy : 24th March 2011 at 12:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks