Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 19:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pest Control - Lizards

Egg-shells do keep lizards away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
I leave them alone till I notice a few of them grown to the size of baby crocodiles
Some 10 years ago, I had invited a couple of Belgian colleagues home for dinner. One of them saw lizards on the walls near the staircase and was telling the other about the mini-crocodiles.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:33   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I think we need to allow them their space to live as rightly said by other members. This world is not just for humans.
They can live in this world, sure. But if they want to live in my house - they need to share the EMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
There was one device which was supposed to emit sound frequencies that were not audible by the human ear by scared them away. I had one which did well for 3 months but then I guess it stopped as the lizards were back... or may be the lizards evolved???
Where can I buy one of these?
Old 24th March 2011, 20:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
They can live in this world, sure. But if they want to live in my house - they need to share the EMI.

Where can I buy one of these?
CB: If you want them to pay rent/emi, better start paying them wages for killing those insects in your house first

There are I-phone apps that are supposed to have the same effect.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:09   #34
Team-BHP Support

re: Pest Control for Homes & Related health issues

My wife is scared of lizards, and so is my 2 year old. When my 2 year old spots a lizard or roach somewhere, she will come and ask me to scare it away.

I terminate roaches, but spare the lizards. Somehow i feel they only help us. Once when i was young, i saw a little lizard discard its tail to distract the enemy. That scene i cannot forget.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I think we need to allow them their space to live as rightly said by other members. This world is not just for humans.
I agree, but firmly believe their rightful place is outside my living room! I leave them alone when I see them in the nooks and corners of the common area of our complex.

I can't keep cats at home, I don't like them. The only cats I like are the big ones shown on Nat Geo. And the only pets I like to keep at home are dogs and ornamental fish.
Old 12th June 2012, 13:39   #36
Team-BHP Support

We noticed traces of termite in one of our cupboards. Can anyone recommend a good pest control guy for anti-termite treatment ?

Its for a 3 bhk in Dwarka. I have quotes ranging from 3k to 10k so confused bigtime !
Old 10th July 2012, 16:57   #37
BHPian

Its the roaches now. They are everywhere, specially in the kitchen.

Got details of pest control from justdial.

2 of them offered the use of own manufactured chemical for 1k while the other 2 used bayers chemical for 500/-

Effect will last anywhere from anywhere from 3 months to 6 months.

All of them will use a combo of spray & gel/paste.

Confused on which one should I go for.

MODS: can we rename the thread to something relevant like "pest control options"

Last edited by quadra : 10th July 2012 at 17:03.
Old 10th July 2012, 18:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
All of them will use a combo of spray & gel/paste. Confused on which one should I go for. MODS: can we rename the thread to something relevant like "pest control options"
IMO, the gel\paste is far more effective than the aerosol sprays. The gel\paste is applied in strategic places, window sills, exhaust fan openings, drain covers etc & the effect lasts much longer I think.
Old 10th July 2012, 19:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
All of them will use a combo of spray & gel/paste. Confused on which one should I go for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
IMO, the gel\paste is far more effective than the aerosol sprays. The gel\paste is applied in strategic places, window sills, exhaust fan openings, drain covers etc & the effect lasts much longer I think.
I think in kitchens only gel/ paste is used. It works effectively when the kitchen is free of food morsels/ grains/ used utensils in sink/ water lying in the open.
In absence of food, the roaches eat the gel which is poisonous. if other roaches eat this dead roach, they get poisoned too. and the cycle goes on till they disappear from your kitchen.

Godrej offers an annual contract for 2.7k or so, with two applications at quarterly intervals. The guy finished all application in kitchen and spraying in other rooms within 30 minutes. there was no odour etc and we could stay there while he was going about his work.

just one point to note. the spray may leave a mark on wallpaper and certain types of paint, so ensure you are around to supervise during the spraying part.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Godrej offers an annual contract for 2.7k or so, with two applications at quarterly intervals. The guy finished all application in kitchen and spraying in other rooms within 30 minutes. there was no odour etc and we could stay there while he was going about his work.
Godrej pest control is now ISS HiCare. AFAIK the change happened around 2 years back. I have been using the service for some 3-4 years and pretty satisfied with the results. The best part is, unlike other regular methods, you don't find dead roaches around the house. The roaches simply disappear

Btw, I am the OP who initiated this thread on health issues related to the pest control and I can now safely say there have been no side effects. My mom's health issues were brought under control after a food intolerance test suggested by @Ajmat in this thread itself.

I agree with @quadra on changing the title to something generic.
Old 11th July 2012, 07:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
just one point to note. the spray may leave a mark on wallpaper and certain types of paint, so ensure you are around to supervise during the spraying part.
Godrej now renamed as ISS Hicare offered me an annual contract for 2.3K with 3 services in an year. I agree the application did not take more than 30 minutes and did not affect in any way the routine life.

The applicator did spray on the walls but without any mark on the walls. I am thinking of getting the borer control also done from them for all the wooden furniture coz the monsoons is the time when the borers get active. Any one taken this service from them?
Old 11th July 2012, 13:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Godrej HiCare Pest Control & Related health issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I agree with @quadra on changing the title to something generic.
I have reported your post to mods and requested title change to a generic one. If you can think up a good title, please inform the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Godrej now renamed as ISS Hicare offered me an annual contract for 2.3K with 3 services in an year. I agree the application did not take more than 30 minutes and did not affect in any way the routine life.
yes, ISS hicare has taken over this business. the contract amount varies according to the number of rooms/ size etc.
I stand corrected, it is 3 services a year. thanks @ghodlur to mention that.
apparently they give a reminder call when the next service is due.
Good service, I definitely recommend it.

My in laws' had someone else do it who used chemicals etc and their place was unusable for a couple of days.

Also, I recommend everyone who uses pest control services to ventilate their living areas well for at least 2 days. Please dont sleep with windows closed regardless of whether it smells or not. I have read of two separate incidents where 2 people each suffocated to death because they went off to sleep after pest control with either windows closed (Kothrud, Pune) or switching on the air con (last week in Bombay, I think).
Old 11th July 2012, 14:48   #43
Team-BHP Support

re: Pest Control options for Homes

I also used the services of ISS Hicare for pest control in my apartment, and am very satisfied with the results. Earlier, the roaches were enroaching upon the kitchen (all of a sudden, i must add) despite us keeping it clean. I decided to opt for a single treatment, which included the gel and spray and have no complaints so far.
Old 11th July 2012, 15:08   #44
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pest Control options for Homes

In my earlier home, I was facing a lot of problem with roaches. Tiny tiny roaches.

I would empty a can of baygon/ hit/ mortien. A lot of them would die. In a week, it was back to the same story.

So when I moved to my new apartment, I left most of the kitchen stuff in the balcony in boxes. Those still had a lot of cockroaches in them.
Plus as my kitchen was not yet complete, there were a couple of cardboard boxes there as well.

When my kitchen was being installed, I left everything in the balcony on a hot summer afternoon. I emptied a can of baygon.

I found a couple of places where there were a lot of roaches.
We had this dustbin, that you press a lever at the bottom and it opens up.
The pipe running thru its rear was covered. It had a large population of these roaches.

My mixie was a little dirty. While trying to clean it, I dropped in a small screwdriver bit inside it. I had to open it up. Found a large nest of cockroach eggs inside.

I then went ahead and opened up my OTG as well. Bingo. Another nest.

Cleaned them all up and left them in the hot sun.

We no longer use that dustbin.
The drain is covered with a piece of plywood. Not closed. I can remove the cover whenever I want. This was important as I am paranoid of clogged drains.

Its over a 40 days.
Its very rare that we spot a cockroach.

Last edited by bblost : 11th July 2012 at 15:10.
Old 11th July 2012, 15:24   #45
BHPian

Re: Pest Control options for Homes

Is anyone aware of any spray/ material that will prevent rats from entering?

A problem we are facing recently is that rats have begun to relax in a hollow wooden unit touching my bedroom wall and holding my AC unit. They come through the pipe that connect the outdoor AC compressor with the unit inside.

I am not sure if I should use rat poison because if the rats die inside my wooden unit there is no way I can remove them out because it is concealed from inside and only opens toward the vent through which the pipe gets in.

If there is a spray available I can drill a hole in the wooden unit and just spray it inside.

Thanks & regards,
Nitin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks