Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Bangalore the best Indian city to live in?
Agree 34 31.78%
Disagree 61 57.01%
Prefer not to comment 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
IMO, there is no way you can choose the best city like this. Of course you can see things like greenery, infrastructure etc. but there is more to a city than just buildings and roads.
To most people, their favorite city is one they can relate to, one where their family and friends are or even just a simple emotional attachment to some aspect of that city.

cheers
Well said. For me its the place I was born & lived until I was 21, so I'm always going to be attached to B'lore. Not been back for the past 3 years, but I'm looking forward to the 10 day visit in June! (Of course, I dread the traffic & all the construction, but the city's the same for me no matter what ).
Old 29th April 2009, 22:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Shhhhhhhh, dont let the secret out!!

Great, now some more people will arrive by the bullock-cart load furthering pushing up its status as best city to live in
Old 29th April 2009, 22:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

For people who would have voted Bengaluru as best city 10 years ago, what has changed in other cities to make them better? Its a poll, come on the better city and better numbers are all that are needed to win a poll.

By the way, Delhi, Chennai are not that far away from Bengaluru in the poll.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:57   #19
BHPian

Yeah right!

A few years back, didn't some German joker pronounce Bangalore
to be the city of the future (worldwide) ?!

I started living in Bangalore 13.5 years back. It was no heaven
back then either! In fact it was worse in some respects!
For me the only positive point of Bangalore has been the
agreeable temperature year round (as opposed to weather).
And that is getting worse in summer!

It would be interesting to know how many non-local outsiders
would choose to keep on living in Bangalore if their job
did not require them to! I left on the first chance I got.
Old 30th April 2009, 00:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For people who would have voted Bangalore as best city 10 years ago, what has changed in other cities to make them better?
Wrong question. Look at what cities have not changed to remain better. If you want to know how Bangalore was 10-15 years back, visit Mysore. I spent my high school, college, half my work life in Bangalore. It has grown too big, too fast with minimal growth in infrastructure.

Then Bangalore mostly had polite auto rickshaw drivers, where are they now?
Old 30th April 2009, 00:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Well said. For me its the place I was born & lived until I was 21, so I'm always going to be attached to B'lore. Not been back for the past 3 years, but I'm looking forward to the 10 day visit in June! (Of course, I dread the traffic & all the construction, but the city's the same for me no matter what ).
exactly my point!

we develop an attachment to a city and overlook it's flaws.

cheers
Old 30th April 2009, 00:12   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why go as far as 10-15 years? When i used to visit this city about 6 years back, i felt the auto fellows were a polite lot (even if not entirely honest). That attribute has gone in for a big time correction in recent years. Makes you wonder if an entire generation got bypassed.

During my earlier visits to this city, i just felt this was where i wanted to settle. Dont really feel that tug now, but i have come to accept it for what it serves me.
Old 30th April 2009, 10:06   #23
BHPian

Each person has a different perspective when rating a city. I read sometime back that Housewives preferred Mumbai. This was because Mumbai (back then) did not have power cuts at all and water shortage was un-heard of. A guy forced to travel in Mumbai local, would obviously prefer Bangalore/Pune.

I have lived in Chennai, Mumbai and Bangalore and prefer Bangalore. the biggest plus point being favourable climate throughout the year. I feel the bus service in Bangalore has improved (not only Volvo, others too) in the past 7-8 years. Power cuts in Bangalore is not a major problem since other cities too are not insulated from power cuts.

Though lot is desired, Bangalore is the most liveable city. Those of us who have voted/going to vote chose the party which we believe is least dangerous. by that logic, i guess Bangalore should be the best city.
Old 30th April 2009, 10:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wrong question. Look at what cities have not changed to remain better. If you want to know how Bangalore was 10-15 years back, visit Mysore. I spent my high school, college, half my work life in Bangalore. It has grown too big, too fast with minimal growth in infrastructure.

I was born in Bengaluru and I don't have to do time travel. I lived in Mysore for 11 years of my life. I wouldn't get the opportunities that I have in Bengaluru in Mysore. If I want to live in a ideal place, I can still live in my village which is heaven. Thats not the point.

Polls are scientific. You can't say they are wrong. Finally, when something is better its relative to others. I can understand Bengaluru is not improving. What else is? Global warming is on the rise, global pollution is on the rise, lack of security is on the rise. Maybe its the case of sweet grapes for me. But I didn't even participate in this survey.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There have been lot of bad things that have happened in Bengaluru. But, it shows how the other cities compare with it.
Well said Srishiva

I dont know why, but people (and TV channels like NDTV & CNBC in particular) seem to have a great liking for Bangalore Bashing. Traffic woes are the only pain in Bangalore in my opinion & the same people who complain about it, oppose for any infra improvement initiatives. Development comes with a price. Note that you need to bear it at the cost of giving up something.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Pune and Bangalore were known for the climate they host/hosted.
In Pune for the last 2 years, winters are non-existant. 2 weeks max are what they last. Then come the unbearable summers for 4-5 straight months. Then come the torrential rains! It was never like this 5 years back. Looks like absence of vegetation is taking its toll. I'm citing Pune coz Bangalore is going through the same cycle. Summers were not that bad last year or the previous. I don't know what the next 2 years will bring to Bangalore.
It is known for its climate, which is slowly fading away, and the existing traffic woes.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Actually Bangalore as a city had everything in its favor to be a great place to live in. but thanks to the senseless government and some money minded people its turned out to be a hell..

today i see apartments being built where ever some good space is found and major reason for the jams today is the roads connecting to these localities are very narrow..this is one of the main cause of the traffic jams..

Talking about climate, Bangalore could boast about good climate because of the trees and the lakes, thanks to the "development" most of the lakes were covered to build buildings and tress were cut to widen the roads or to build buildings... today we find concrete everywhere...so obviously cant expect to have a pleasant climate anymore...
Old 30th April 2009, 12:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

It should be better if we have another city in southern India with good climate as in Bangalore.this may prevent the huge influx of (im)migrants to this city.

I heard from my uncle that during 1960's Bombay and Madras were hot spots for migration due to the then poverty struck India.I hope development happen distributed instead of concentrating on One city.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:44   #29
BANNED

Not everythings perfect. If Mumabi scores on transport, it has horrible weather. Similarly Chennai or Delhi or any other city in India.

Bangalore has grown too big for itself. And the biggest problem has been the greed which invariably makes it one of the most corrupt cities to live in.

The local people owning houses have broken down their one single house with one family living in it and build a 3 or 4 floored apartment to rent it out at exorbitant rates. So a lane that had about 10 cars has 40 cars now. No parking space no driving space no space for kids to play.

Overall i think its a great place to be in. I come from Panaji - Goa nothing can get better then home but Bangalore is home too. And i love it. If i was in Mumbai or any other place i could have probably said the same.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

all I can say is that if bangalore is the best that India has, then I shudder to think what other cities are like!

Having lived in Delhi, bangalore and Hyderabad, I would say that apart from the cool climate, bangalore has petty much nothing to offer over Delhi and Hyderabad. On the flip side, it has atrocious traffic, inept police and public administration (though Hyd runs it close here), bad road network, spiralling crime, hostile attitude to "non-locals" etc.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 30th April 2009 at 12:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks