Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Bangalore the best Indian city to live in?
Agree 34 31.78%
Disagree 61 57.01%
Prefer not to comment 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 00:55   #46
BHPian

All the extra government attention in banglore and opposite in bombay makes the two cities two of the worst cities, but so is every other metro or as to say any place, i would prefer bombay any day to any place in india as i have been born and brought up here and i am accustomed to everything here, so other places would be hell for me but here i can find heaven.
This is just my opinion
Old 13th May 2009, 07:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I agree with mumbai part, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about people being treated rudely/badly when not speaking kannada. In fact my uncle was hit on the head by a cabbie when speaking in tamil.
That started happening only in this decade, this kind of chauvinism didn't exist in 90s or before that. When two Kannada people meet in Bangalore, they speak in English first, I don't know how many of you notice that. Often, even after realising both are locals, they continue to speak in English.

One difference between now and before (say 10 years or earlier), the people have become extremely rude. The auto drivers are just one example of that.
Old 13th May 2009, 07:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...One difference between now and before (say 10 years or earlier), the people have become extremely rude. The auto drivers are just one example of that.
And the only reason this is happening is due to the politicizing of issues and the vote bank politics done.

I have had my own share of issue when I drove a TN registered vehicle in Bangalore, and this is not with the police. People see the "TN" and then even people, who might be good in normal circumstances, get rude since they know that they have a upper hand!

Unfortunate, but true.
Old 13th May 2009, 08:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And the only reason this is happening is due to the politicizing of issues and the vote bank politics done.
Unfortunate, but true.
Is that the only things...i think insecurity among locals is another contributing factor....I personally have been told by many locals that outsiders come down to b'lore and take away most of the local jobs.
Old 13th May 2009, 08:10   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Is that the only things...i think insecurity among locals is another contributing factor....I personally have been told by many locals that outsiders come down to b'lore and take away most of the local jobs.
These kind of comments are made by locals in every metro in every country I suppose. I have heard the same comments in USA. Locals everywhere suffer from this feeling of entitlement, they want more money while working less, while the immigrants are willing to work more for less money. Guess who gets the job? So that's the story everywhere.
Old 13th May 2009, 08:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Outsiders? Who? foreigners? Man if you are running a business, wont you offer jobs to people with low salary? Same with every business in here. You see many mallu's shops in here. And if you notice almost all will be mallu guys in the shop. They usually bring them along from their town. Same in other cities too.

When someone goes to gulf or other countries for work, and if he is satisfied will obviously invite his friends/relatives to come and work with him. Same is happening here too. Look at the securities and watchmans in all appartment. They are all 99% from north. When one guys comes and settle, he invites other to join him and this continues in all fields.

Jobs taken by others than local is very very common all over india. Do you know how many people living and working in chennai are actually born in chennai? Its just an example. All big cities face same fate.

Even IT is no exception. Agreed?
Old 16th May 2009, 21:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Are u in Pune as of now? Could you compare Pune to Banglore in terms of weather and traffic?
Weather:
Summer: April is generally hotter than May with the day time high temperature hovering between 35°C & 38°C. Bu it goes beyond 40°C for at least a couple of days in April. But the nights are always cool especially in locations where the breeze is good. Most people who have air conditioners in their homes use them only in April and May and the number of people who have air conditioners in their homes are not too many (my perception)

Winter: Over the last few years the winters have been becoming shorter and shorter in duration. But a pleasant season anyway.

Rains: In general it does not rain like in the south, i.e., heavy showers for a while and then a dry spell only to be followed by another bout of heavy shower. In Pune, it keeps drizzling for long periods with an occasional round of heavy showers.

Traffic: Pune of course is not as big as Bangalore. A lot of areas in Pune city belongs to the Army & Air Force. They are spread all around the city and thank God for that. In my experience the traffic situation is nowhere as bad as in Bangalore. It is the city of 2-wheelers. People generally have no fear of traffic cops and have very little regard for traffic lights. You will always find a good number of people jumping the red lights at every signal unless there is a cop. The cops are too soft in my opinion which is why people have no fear of them. Inspite of all this, the traffic keeps moving and is not a big source of stress. It takes me around 30 minutes to travel 12km from my office to home during peak hour traffic by company bus. Like in any city, there are some areas where one should not venture out with their cars. But overall I think the situation is better than Bangalore.

-Biju
Old 16th May 2009, 21:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sons of the Soil Issue is persistent everywhere in India.I think ,every big cities(cosmopolitan to be precise) had gone through this.In 1960's it was shiv sena in Bombay.Compared to those riots,Banglore local kannad/tulu/marathi are very tolerant.

PS:My Rant: 4 prominant languages are spoken in karnataka state AFAIK.western side,tulu and konkani ,while mysore belt speaks kannada ,hubli-dharwad onwards marathi is also present.kannada is used as a common language.this ensures most of the average karnatakite knows more than 1 language apart from Mother Tongue.That Explains how bangalore also makes north indians and others feel at home.No Offense to be meant anywhere in my post.
regards,
dc.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:21   #54
BHPian

Bangalore in short is a feel good city. To a first time visitor or an immigrant, it is easy to get accustomed to, has a great cosmopolitan outlook(loads of floating population helps),a good weather throughout the year, etc. When we step out for a walk, we feel that Bangalore has some old charm from these beautiful anglicized (Having more remnants from the British era)hill stations like Ooty and Kodai and some genes from complete urban cities like Mumbai or Chennai. We adore the tree lined avenues and feel jealous of the parks and greenery. Our heartfeels for such greenery in our own cities. The city buildings are even beautiful than in other Indian Cities. It really is a great feeling to be in Bangalore.

Take your car out to goto office/movies/shopping or whatever, we see the different face of Bangalore. It isn't really a city where people can travel long distance for work.Be it the planning blunders or ever increasing automobiles on the roads, Bangalore is simply inefficient in transportation.

To conclude, Bangalore is a city where in everyone feels good to stay in. But on the other hand, it is not a very practical or an efficient city. Its strengths lies in glamour and not in its infrastructure.

Ask people who have not lived in cities of Bangalore/Mumbai/Chennai/Delhi to chose one city to move into, the majority will chose Bangalore. Such is the city's glamour.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

There is always some discontent among locals when the going gets tough. You should not bring it out against Bengaluru.

Being a son of soil, I am proud at least to say that hardcore kannada organizations have never been against providing jobs to non-kannadigas. They have however said that locals need to be offered jobs in the lower stratum like security, admin etc.,( I am talking about kannada rakshana vedike which is the most active)

Also, the perceived intolerance has been limited to talk only.

Last edited by srishiva : 16th May 2009 at 22:41.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:02   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
PS:My Rant: 4 prominant languages are spoken in karnataka state AFAIK.western side,tulu and konkani ,while mysore belt speaks kannada ,hubli-dharwad onwards marathi is also present.kannada is used as a common language.this ensures most of the average karnatakite knows more than 1 language apart from Mother Tongue.That Explains how bangalore also makes north indians and others feel at home.No Offense to be meant anywhere in my post.
Current Karnataka is native to 3 languages, Kannada, Tulu and Kodava. Before 1956, Coorg was a state by itself and Tulunad was attached to Madras state. The Karnataka coast is also home to Konkani people who were originally chased out from Goa/Konkana by Portuguese. The eastern side of Karnataka, including Bangalore has huge population of Telegannada people who speak a mixture of Telegu & Kannada, which won't be understood by Andhra people. The northern Karnataka has marathi population. During the Dravida moment of the 60s, huge number of Tamilians too migrated to Karnataka.

In other words, Karnataka has been a true melting pot for many centuries, and Bangalore is a true representative of that. So it is a little strange when Kannada agitations break out, they kinda go against the nature of Karnataka.
Old 17th May 2009, 00:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

@samurai: you put it up better! BTW ,I am hearing for the first time about this "telegannada".
During My stay in Coimbatore(rural) ,I experienced many a localites(rural especially alandura,poluvampatti,perur etc) speaking telegu-tamil and kannada-tamil(not baduga language) mix language communicating among themselves and to others in tamil.
Old 17th May 2009, 01:07   #58
BANNED

One more Bengaluru Bashing Thread after all the Ranting about its traffic is over. This itself says how "POPULAR" this city is and how people cant resist talking about it.

The above poll is a big insult to a beautiful city., and on such a fair forum we need to avoid such controversies.

Go TN- No one speaks apart from Tamil, even though they know other language.

Go Hyderabad-Nobody bothers what you are asking.

Go Kerala- You get only Malayalam, no one understands other languages.

Go up North- Only Hindi, and people suffer from Superiority complex once they spot a South-Indian.

"NOTE=Similar to others comments, take this with a pinch of Salt and +2 for this"

Come Bangalore-only place where you see people reply to you "Friendly " in your language(Whichever) and give you right directions/ information in your language even though they dont know.
One of the best public transport available compared to any city in India.
One and the only place for better job opportunities,
One and the only place where you still find greenery.
One and the only city with a cosmopolitan culture.
One and the only city where you get the best food from all over the world.
I can go on and on,

I've been born and living in this city and, the city nor its people changed. They still remain friendly and still happy, Some people say the city has gone to the dogs, what can you do when we have with so much of "INFLUX", from all over the world.

This is the best city as per me , Just like all others differ from their dislike about the city,these are my views, and as a TRUE Banglorean and i stand by the city i live.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 17th May 2009 at 01:13.
Old 17th May 2009, 09:43   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
One of the best public transport available compared to any city in India.
I am sure you are kidding about this one. If this was true, there is no need to build the metro.

Quote:
I've been born and living in this city and, the city nor its people changed. They still remain friendly and still happy,
It is hard to see the difference when you live continously. But when people go away and come back, they can spot the changes very clearly. I lived in Bangalore between 1982-93, 95-96,97-98 and then finally 2004-2006. So I did my highschool, college, first 3 jobs in Bangalore, before I started shuttling between Bangalore and New Jersey in the later years. During the 90s, I didn't spot much difference other than the rapid increase in traffic, but the polite attitude remained generally same. But when I finally settled back in Bangalore in 2004, I was in for a major shock. Generally locals don't realise I am a local too, may be something in my looks, they try every other language until I reply in Kannada. But the attitude shown when they think I am an outsider, pretty much shocked me. I have come across cops, auto-drivers, just plain strangers on the road who were rude to outright hostile until I spoke Kannada, and then become very polite and apologetic, "oops, we thought you were some outsider". Once, an autodriver was practically harassed us with very-loud Kannada song in his stereo, he ignored all our sign language (we couldn't be heard over the blaring music) to lower the volume. Finally, at a traffic stop I got down and screamed right into his ears. Suddenly, he was all in smiles.. Oh Kannadaduraa.. Then he turned off the music saying he mistook us because I was speaking to my cousin in some alien language. When I told him I was speaking in Tulu which is very much a language of Karnataka, he was even more apologetic.

There in lies the problem. These days lot of locals turn off their friendliness if they think you are an outsider, that didn't happen in the 90s or before. Then I used to boast to my Chennai friends that Bangalore auto drivers are practically saints compared Chennai auto drivers. Can't say that anymore.

Relatively, Bangalore may be still more friendly and welcoming than rest of the Indian cities, but it has definitely changed in this decade. The non-Kannada speaking population living in the city for decades would definitely sense this hostility.
Old 17th May 2009, 09:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more Bengaluru Bashing Thread after all the Ranting about its traffic is over. This itself says how "POPULAR" this city is and how people cant resist talking about it. .....

"NOTE=Similar to others comments, take this with a pinch of Salt and +2 for this"
+1 to Pavan's comments on the city we've all grown up to love (and hate but it's our good ol Bengaluru man) ! Yes, Samurai is also correct in what he observes but like he puts it, it is still relatively more friendly and welcoming than the rest ! Hmm, 'bucket' of salt is more like it !

Like they say, you can take me out of Bangalore but not Bangalore out of me !

Last edited by kannan666 : 17th May 2009 at 09:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks