Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 16:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Strange no one posted this.
Two days back a school kid gave up life to Swine Flu in Pune.

Few points here:
1. Hand sanitizers DO NOT work. Flu is cause by virus and not bacteria. Hand sanitizers work by killing bacteria. It has got no effect on virus. For virus you have to physically get rid of them by using soap and then rinsing it off.

2. Swine flu, or even normal flu is not something to be taken lightly. Different bodies have different susceptibilities. Just because you did not go through a life harrowing experience because of flu does not mean someone else also won't, so stop the spread by taking care of yourself and curing when infected. It can cause complications and even death in certain circumstances (like the unfortunate schoolgirl).

Since this is a new strain, most ppl's bodies (especially kids) don't have antigens to counter (most of our bodies are somewhat resistant to seasonal flu)

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th August 2009 at 16:38.
Old 6th August 2009, 23:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
My office already got 6 confirmed case of Swine Flu in Bangalore. Remember what you hear in news it is much bigger behind the scenes.

Only first case was reported and it was covered live by local Bangalore TV channel. But to me relief all affected patients were from other floor. Now it is time to maintain perfect hygiene.

I think all office should take a safety measurement before allowing the onsite employee. Today in Mangalore they have reported 3 more case. I think it will be a large no of people specially city like Bangalore, Chennai, hyderabad ...
Old 7th August 2009, 16:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think all office should take a safety measurement before allowing the onsite employee. Today in Mangalore they have reported 3 more case. I think it will be a large no of people specially city like Bangalore, Chennai, hyderabad ...

You are right but ultimately who will care? Nobody. Office just do to cover up things actually no corporate or MNC care about anything than just get job done.

In my office atleast they are allowing 3 days of paid leave after returning from onsite. Every week around 30 - 50 people come from onsite and goes onsite on average. Tracking everybody is big problem. This is only situation of my office, I scare to think whole Bangalore's IT companies.

I have read in yesterday's TOI that vaccine for Swine Flu would be availabe before October.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps these docs may help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Possible Influenza Drugs Aug2009.pdf (210.7 KB, 1788 views)
File Type: pdf Preventive Measures for Influenza 2009.pdf (208.4 KB, 2302 views)
File Type: pdf Influenza Transmissions Aug2009.pdf (79.8 KB, 2264 views)

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th August 2009 at 16:31.
Old 7th August 2009, 17:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

I think this is somewhat old data and currently there are 600+ cases of Swine Flu patients. That is the official figure. I also saw on Aaj Tak that the medicines are not available at private hospitals.
Though we need not panic, its not as easy situation as our so called " ministers " and officials are shouting out.

Some update that might be old.

Source : List of Influenza A H1N1 affected countries

List of Influenza A H1N1 affected countries as on July 16, 2009

S.No Name of the Country

1. Argentina

2. Australia

3. Austria

4. Bahamas

5. Bahrain

6. Barbados

7. Belgium

8. Bolivia

9. Brazil

10. Bulgaria

11. Canada

12. Cayman Islands, UKOT

13. Chile

14. China

15. Colombia

16. Costa Rica

17. Cuba

18. Cyprus

19. Czech Republic

20. Denmark

21. Dominica

22. Dominican Republic

23. Ecuador

24. Egypt

25. El Salvador

26. Estonia

27. Finland

28. France

29. Germany

30. Greece

31. Guatemala

32. Honduras

33. Hungary

34. Iceland

35. India

36. Ireland

37. Israel

38. Italy

39. Jamaica

40. Japan

41. Korea, Republic of

42. Kuwait

43. Lebanon

44. Luxembourg

45. Malaysia

46. Mexico

47. Netherlands

48. New Zealand

49. Nicaragua

50. Norway

51. Panama

52. Paraguay

53. Peru

54. Philippines

55. Poland

56. Portugal

57. Romania

58. Russia

59. Saudi Arabia

60. Singapore

61. Slovakia

62. Spain

63. Sweden

64. Switzerland

65. Thailand

66. Trinidad and Tobago

67. Turkey

68. Ukraine

69. United Arab Emirates

70. United Kingdom

71. United States of America

72. Uruguay

73. Venezuela

74. Viet Nam

75. West Bank and Gaza Strip
Old 8th August 2009, 16:19   #36
BHPian

Total 711 case has been reported officially in India.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:48   #37
BHPian

It is time to stop this statistical approach to the issue. It is now way beyond counts. We have to live with it and I see a northward progression in India as winter approaches !!

People should also look at alternative medicines like ayurveda and homeo for supplements in the form of immuno boosters which would help prevent complications when one contracts the disease.

Govt has tied itself in knots with some saying close down schools and malls while on the other hand the Pune collector calls for explanation from schools regarding why they closed down !!
Old 10th August 2009, 12:21   #38
BHPian

Nandi,

In Pune now, whats happening around is not really encouraging. I would suggest you think carefully before making your travel to MH.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:52   #39
BHPian

The headlines of the day said a four year old boy died of swine flu but actually it's not the truth because the boy died of multiple organ failure. Already suffering from asthma, also on dialysis the boy only showed the symptoms last week. Such a low immunity anyway makes him susceptible to any kind of infection. So please read the entire news be it any!!
Old 10th August 2009, 13:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Its settings a wrong example . Tamiflu is out of stock most of the places and now ppl are selling this in grey .( 3000 rs per 10 tablets ). how can poor afford this ?

Its like petrol scare few days back ,ppl who used to fill up for 50 rs were doing full tanks and end result ,ppl who really needed ended up empty and there was wide spread panic and most bunks went dry.

I feel we should stop doing such things .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely a larger issue than our authorities make it to be. My family doc recommended us to stock up on some Tamiflu capsules (which we did).

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:25   #41
BHPian

I think people should look at Homeopathy instead of falling into the trap set by some MNCs in selling of existing big stocks of Tamiflu.
Please read the following for an idea regarding Homepathy vis-a-vis H1N1 :
Swine Influenza in Humans, Swine Flu Symptoms, Homeopathy Treatment and Homeopathic Remedies for H1N1 Influenza
Old 10th August 2009, 13:27   #42
BANNED

Why is govt not allowing private labs test H1N1?

Quote:
The Union health minister had reportedly said that each swine flu test costs the government somewhere around Rs 10,000.

The test for H1N1 can be done through the Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction test. This is 100 per cent reliable and costs around Rs 1,500 rupees a test

Quote:
The other test is a CARD test which is sold as a kit, explains another doctor. In this test, the blood sample is dropped on the card and the colour of the reagent indicates whether the patient has swine flu or not.

This CARD is available for Rs 500. When bought in bulk the cost will work out to Rs 300. This test is 98 per cent reliable.
Quote:
"By creating an artificial shortage, a monopoly, the government is assisting someone to make billions of dollars,"
Old 10th August 2009, 14:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

^^^^

Above article is wrong at many places.

1. CARD Test:

This test DOES NOT test for actual swine flu. It just tests for "A" or "B" types of flue. If someone has type "A" flu it could be due to H1N1 or any other virus in that categoru.

And this test is available in Private Labs.

2. PCR Test

This is the only confirmatory test. And actually no available in private labs.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:34   #44
Team-BHP Support

Tami Flu is not a vaccine, its for those who have swine flu. If you take it without any flu, you will make your immunity low, and rampant use of this drug will make the virus resistant to it. Something like Malaria. Rampant use of antibiotics has resulted in strains of malaria that do not respond to any treatment.
Vaccine in October? Well many countries are working on it. In India there are 3 companies working on the vaccine. But when it will actually be available, I do not know. We still do not have a vaccine for the common cold(influenza virus), so its a possiblity that the vaccine is years away.
I think a hollywood movie will come out before the vaccine.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:37   #45
Team-BHP Support

If you want a nice seat in a crowded bus,
comfortable spot in an elevator
or simply want to be left alone.

Sneeze a couple of times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks