Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 18:26   #106
BHPian

This information came over an email, thought of sharing it here!

10 Preventive Steps to keep Swine-Flu Away:

They say prevention is better than cure and now that Swine Flu is spreading like Wildfire in India too, we need to come up with some proactive measures so that we are not a victim of the deadly disease. Here are 10 things you can do to protect yourself from the virus.

1. Wash your hands frequently

Use the antibacterial soaps to cleanse your hands. Wash them often, at least 15 seconds and rinse with running water.

2. Get enough sleep

Try to get 8 hours of good sleep every night to keep your immune system in top flu-fighting shape.

3. Keep hydrated

Drink 8 to10 glasses of water each day to flush toxins from your system and maintain good moisture and mucous production in your sinuses.

4. Boost your immune system

Keeping your body strong, nourished, and ready to fight infection is important in flu prevention. So stick with whole grains, colorful vegetables, and vitamin-rich fruits.

5. Keep informed

The government is taking necessary steps to prevent the pandemic and periodically release guidelines to keep the pandemic away. Please make sure to keep up to date on the information and act in a calm manner.

6. Avoid alcohol

Apart from being a mood depressant, alcohol is an immune suppressant that can actually decrease your resistance to viral infections like swine flu. So stay away from alcoholic drinks so that your immune system may be strong.

7. Be physically active

Moderate exercise can support the immune system by increasing circulation and oxygenating the body. For example brisk walking for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week will significantly perk up your immunity.

8. Keep away from sick people

Flu virus spreads when particles dispersed into the air through a cough or sneeze reach someone else's nose. So if you have to be around someone who is sick, try to stay a few feet away from them and especially, avoid physical contact.

9. Know when to get help

Consult your doctor if you have a cough and fever and follow their instructions, including taking medicine as prescribed.

10. Avoid crowded areas

Try to avoid unnecessary trips outside. Moreover, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way. We all want a Healthy India.

Jai Hind
Old 11th August 2009, 21:22   #107
BHPian

My 2.5 year old son had fever last Thursday and the doctor (PD) prescribed Meftal-P and Sinarest. The fever subsided and he even went to play school on Friday, and even yesterday too. Fever returned this morning and was given Meftal at 8 am. Fever subsided and returned again at 2 pm... He is alright and active as I write this. I suppose there is no cause for worry but as a father it is difficult. Should I be worried?

My general observation of the current situation: I fail to understand why the govt. see it fit to designate so few hospitals, that too only govt. hospitals, as screening and treatment centres. With so many people rushing to so few centres, the chances of virus transmission at these venues is very real, IMHO. Moreover, with few material comfort at these govt. facilities its no surprise that some of the initial patients, who were overseas travellers, escaped from the isolation wards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I had not seen any case of swine flu so far in NCR region? Has anything been reported from this area yet which has escaped me?
There are indeed cases in NCR as reported in TOI. Its pathetic that Noida has a delipidated screening centre that nobody is aware of. And the isolation ward is non AC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
However, if these do not work in reducing fever or the irritation of the throat increases and you get any other symptom of swine flu like pain in joints, dizziness, headaches, etc (even after taking medicines), then you must go get yourself checked.
Tejas, I admire your altruism. A baby can't articulate those symptoms and therein lies my dilema. Maybe the child will be less physically active?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Unlike chikunguniya and dengue, swine flu affects the upper levels of the society, especially the affluent people including frequent travelers. When the flu makes it first appearances in premium schools like DPS, NPS etc, it makes bigger news than a poor village man getting affected by dengue though mosquito bite.
vasso, your opinion have been rebuffed repeatedly but I want to reiterate what have already been said. What makes H1N1 flu different is its contagiousness. I am surprised that even news channels like NDTV are doing simillar comparision. If this virus is not stopped in its track, it would very soon and very quickly, God forbid, exceed the mortality rate of the other diseases that are being quoted.
Old 11th August 2009, 21:59   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, let's say you have basic symptoms of normal flu. Now if you take your antibiotics and antipyretics, and if they work within 24hours, meaning your fever comes down, then you are fine and suffering from normal flu. However, if these do not work in reducing fever or the irritation of the throat increases and you get any other symptom of swine flu like pain in joints, dizziness, headaches, etc (even after taking medicines), then you must go get yourself checked.
When i say 24 hours, it doesn't mean your fever should go completely, even if the symptoms diminish by 25%, you are fine.

Hope this is clear and not confusing.
Very clear. This dispels all my doubts. Thank you very much.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:25   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My 2.5 year old son had fever last Thursday and the doctor (PD) prescribed Meftal-P and Sinarest. The fever subsided and he even went to play school on Friday, and even yesterday too. Fever returned this morning and was given Meftal at 8 am. Fever subsided and returned again at 2 pm... He is alright and active as I write this. I suppose there is no cause for worry but as a father it is difficult. Should I be worried?
No. See what more to check below:

Quote:
A baby can't articulate those symptoms and therein lies my dilema. Maybe the child will be less physically active?
If the child has those problems, it will cry a lot more. It will cough (at any age). Check the back of the throat with a torch and see the color of the throat. Normal flu, it may become reddish and will gradually decrease day by day. In swine flu it will increase to fiery red.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:49   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Frankly, rather the person suffering or suspected to have swine flu should wear the mask, instead of the other way around. There is a protocol for the way a mask is worn, removed and disposed, which is very difficult for doctors to follow. So expecting and tutoring a layperson in such short notice is not possible.
Exactly, but people have become scared and paranoid.

There is panic going on among Manipal University students here after a few cases were detected. Lots of them are walking and driving with surgical masks on, like that helps some how. Since swine flu spread via touch, how is surgical mask going to help? But the surgical shops in Manipal are doing brisk business selling masks in hundreds.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

vasso, your opinion have been rebuffed repeatedly but I want to reiterate what have already been said. What makes H1N1 flu different is its contagiousness. I am surprised that even news channels like NDTV are doing simillar comparision. If this virus is not stopped in its track, it would very soon and very quickly, God forbid, exceed the mortality rate of the other diseases that are being quoted.

I dont know what did I say that is to be rebuffed. I have clearly mentioned in my mail that two reasons for it becoming more "infamous" is the way it spreads (through air) and prevalence in affluent/urban society, and I stand by it. Other diseases probably dont come under flu varliety and dont spread through air. If you take the case of Kerala, Dengue and Chikumguniya has been widespread and nobody seems to notice it that much. Few of my relatives have suffered from it and some have died as well. But unfortunately I dont see the urgency in treating such issues which are result of unclean surroundings.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:44   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hope this passes out soon, this is looking dangerous though!

I feel a good immune would be the best defense from swine flu, so eat healthy and stay fit!
Old 12th August 2009, 09:57   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I dont know what did I say that is to be rebuffed. I have clearly mentioned in my mail that two reasons for it becoming more "infamous" is the way it spreads (through air) and prevalence in affluent/urban society, and I stand by it.
It spreads through air? are you sure? How come every other swine flu FAQ fails to mention the air-borne nature of this virus?

If it spreads through air, then it justifies wearing of masks by non-infected people.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:19   #114
BHPian

Guys,
Here are some steps for your children and yourselves to develop the immune in the body:
Early morning add 2 teaspoon of jaggery in one cup of water and consume daily. (Empty Stomach)
Night before going to bed add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a 1/2 glass of milk and consume.
Healthy Water : 4 liters of water + 60 ‘Tulasi’ Leaves + 3 vilvam leaves + 10 grains of Black Pepper – boil for 20 min on full flame and use the filtered water for drinking to increase immunity.

Follow this on a daily basis to gain anti bodies in your system.

Besides, use "Nilgiri (Eucalyptus) oil" drops on handkerchiefs and masks as one of the preventive measures against Swine Flue. Also apply it on nose, head and throat daily twice.
– Source: National Institute of Virology.

Use Ginger and Tulasi in your tea daily.

Swine flu testing centres details:

Chennai
Communicable Disease Hospital, 87, T.H. Road, Tondiarpet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
King Institute of Preventive Medicine, Guindy, Chennai – 600032. Tel: (24/7 Service) 044-22501706

Hyderabad
Govt. General and Chest Diseases Hospital, Erragadda , Hyderabad. Hospital Helpline Number - 040-23814939

Kolkata
Beliaghata Infectious Diseases Hospital, 57, Beliaghata Main Road, Kolkata

Mumbai
Kasturba Hospital, Arthur Road, Sane Guruji Marg, Mumbai 400011 Ph: 022- 23083901 / 23092458 / 23000889
Sir JJ Hospital, JJ Marg, Byculla, Mumbai – 08. Tel: Phone (022) 23735555, 23739031
Haffkine Institute. Tel: 022-24160947, 24160961[/SIZE]

New Delhi
Yellow Fever Quarantine Centre, Near AAI Residential Colony, New Delhi. Ph: 91-11-25652129
Influenza Ward, Ward no 5, Second Floor, New Building, RML Hospital, Delhi-1
RML- 91-11-24525211,23404328,23365525- Ext 4328:

Pune
Karve Road hospital, Erandvana Hospital. Contact: Dr Sarita Ganala (9764000939)

Mhatre Bridge-Late Anandibai Narhar Gadgil Hospital. Contact: Dr Jyotsana Khole (9422987953)
Ganj Peth-Late Balaji Rakhmaji Gaikwad Hospital. Contact: Dr Sandhya Bahule
Narayan Peth-Late Kalavatibai Mavale Hospital. Contact: Dr Nila Limaye (9881385015)
Koregaon Park-Late Bapusaheb Ganuji Kavade Hospital. Contact: Dr Jaya Bhondave (9922504428)

Be healthy, be safe

Last edited by ImranShahnawaz : 12th August 2009 at 10:31.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:25   #115
BANNED

Meeting a pandemic challenge - Timely Editorial in today THE HINDU

I sincerely do feel that this ARTICLE is well written & very much timely. This is the link.

The Hindu : Opinion / Editorials : Meeting a pandemic challenge
Old 12th August 2009, 10:49   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Guys,
Here are some steps for your children and yourselves to develop the immune in the body:
Early morning add 2 teaspoon of jaggery in one cup of water and consume daily. (Empty Stomach)
Night before going to bed add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a 1/2 glass of milk and consume.
Healthy Water : 4 liters of water + 60 ‘Tulasi’ Leaves + 3 vilvam leaves + 10 grains of Black Pepper – boil for 20 min on full flame and use the filtered water for drinking to increase immunity.

Follow this on a daily basis to gain anti bodies in your system.

Besides, use "Nilgiri (Eucalyptus) oil" drops on handkerchiefs and masks as one of the preventive measures against Swine Flue. Also apply it on nose, head and throat daily twice.
– Source: National Institute of Virology.

Use Ginger and Tulasi in your tea daily.

Swine flu testing centres details:
Is this true? I received an SMS today morning with the same info. Seems to be a classic case of rumour mongering and "chain-letter syndrome". Can some doc validate this claim?
Old 12th August 2009, 11:01   #117
Team-BHP Support

In the olden days quacks used to sit on roadsides and shout via a loudspeaker. Now instead of loudspeaker they use sms.
All these desi remedies will ease the symptoms, for example sore throat is soothed by honey, but they will not kill the pathogens.
As for National institude of Virology message, its a big hoax!
Old 12th August 2009, 11:04   #118
BANNED

Looks like it spares none - Costa Rican President Has H1N1 Flu
Old 12th August 2009, 11:32   #119
BHPian

Continuing on the homeo alternatives came across an interesting link :
"swine flu" Question. Attn: Joe De Livera :: homeopathyandmore.com

Pl. read through the replies in the thread there.

Sad to see political parties trying to make hay in the mess already created in Maharashtra. Those asking for closing down schools should have better sense. What is the time frame they are looking at !! If the cases dont come down , do they plan a indefinite closure ??
Schools should plan out efficient surveillance like the Panchgani school reported by Mumbai Mirror today.

Last edited by emkay456 : 12th August 2009 at 11:33.
Old 12th August 2009, 11:36   #120
BHPian

The threat is close!

I have been following this thread with utmost concern as also news reports on the same subject.

While I manage to remain calm, some incidents do create a heightened state of panic in my mind. 3 people in my office are reported to have contracted the flu. When such a thing happens so close by, I get a bit scared and start wondering if I am taking sufficient steps to keep myself and my family safe.

I also feel that channels like Times Now are creating a lot of panic without giving actual / realistic details about the disease and prevention methods. I was reading in a newspaper that the death rate is less than 0.1%.

All said and done, how am I to be assured that I will not be a carrier of this flu? Are there any preventive medicines or will homeopathy help? Any ideas, anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks