Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 16:54   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have full faith in ayurveda and homeo, as much as in allopathy. However, to say that these will cure H1N1 without any proof in scientific journals is highly ******. There are people claiming cure for HIV or denying HIV.

It is interesting to note that you have full "faith" in homeo and still brand it in the category of the quacks who claim cure for HIV !!
Coming back to the topic of H1N1, homeo is only prescribing how to get the human body to increase immunity or encourage it to fight the virus and alleviate the symptoms. Putting it in another way the objective is to allow the virus to run a mild course and not aggravate into secondary complications ( due to which death occurs ). So the word "cure" is misplaced in the case of a flu which has a fixed period course and is not a disease like cancer !!

I just pray that the vaccine for H1N1 does not get produced because for the sake of 33 % (as put by Mr Azad as those who would contract H1N1 ) the other 77 % would get injected with the virus to develop immunity !!

Has anybody given a thought why no one from the lower strata of the society has yet contracted H1N1. Probably all because of the living style of the middle and upper strata.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:01   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@Tejas: Thanks.

You have not mentioned anything about Masks?

Looking at the panic emails running in my office info sharing group. I would like get a a couple of 100 masks and sell them for a huge profit.
These are all placebo. Most of the masks sold have pore sizes to block bacteria and not viruses.
Don't buy from the road but go to a good chemist or a medical supplier and get a high quality mask. Should cost approx 12-15 bucks each. Dispose the masks daily if at high risk or otherwise after two days. If the masks gets wet, it becomes useless. Throw it. Don't try to dry it and reuse.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:03   #63
Team-BHP Support

Dispovan masks are 4.65 each at big name chemists.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:19   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Dispovan masks are 4.65 each at big name chemists.
The most basic mask required is the 8000 particulate N95 mask. Is it the same one? There is still doubt within the medical community if the N95 mask is good enough for viruses.
If it's the same one, my medical supplier is gonna get a earful! Can you attach a pic so I can verify?
Old 10th August 2009, 17:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Although India had lesser deaths in absolute terms during 1918 epidemic, its death rate per 1000 population was abnormally higher.

In 2006, there was an excellent article in Lancet `Estimation of potential global pandemic infl uenza mortality on the basis of vital registry data from the 1918–20 pandemic'. This is posted here. The reasons for India's high death rates are also in this article.

As to my statements on HIV, I have seen enough firsthand experience the drastic and positive impact of HIV drugs on people who were previously near death. This has been manifested not only in their CD4/viral load counts, but also in clinical manifestations (eg, disappearance of herpes simplex virus, constant coughing, seborrheia, painful mouth ulcers, sporelysis, ear fungal infections, chest pains, and what not). Ayurveda may have a solution, but allopathy definitely has something that has enabled them to live a normal life. Irrelevant to this discussion, but for doctors and doctors only on this forum, I can also post their CD4/VL counts over the last 5 years (diagnosed in 2004), and they can see for themselves.

People can say whatever they want about HIV being a fiction, but for these people, it was like being back from the dead.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Influenza Deaths 1918.pdf (154.1 KB, 2015 views)
Old 10th August 2009, 17:22   #66
BHPian

See Ibnlive mislead the people with a news that Maharashtra Govt has closed down schools/colleges/malls due to Swine flu :Maharashtra shuts all schools, colleges, malls

while all other news site have correctly reported that this is for Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad !!
Old 10th August 2009, 17:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Emkay, most IB schools have shutdown in Mumbai.

Just got SMS from my son's school that it would be closed from Tomorrow onwards.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Emkay, most IB schools have shutdown in Mumbai.

Just got SMS from my son's school that it would be closed from Tomorrow onwards.
But could you find any other news source mentioning that the Govt order is for the whole state ?
These orders have to be issued at local level of the authorities as reinforced by the Govt. yesterday. Even Press Trust of India has mentioned only Pune for the enforcement of the order.
I am sure no Govt would order complete closure of shopping malls and theatres across the State when the epidemic is presently only in Mumbai-Pune area this week.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Not looking at news channels at all. As usual all news would be "current rumors".

But in Malad/Goregaon all schools are reviewing the situation and IB schools have taken a decision to shutdown.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:47   #70
BHPian

Hi All,

Its been an amazing thread, a lot of vital info for all who don't understand the medical terminologies, this is quite basic & gives good info. Just had a quick question

1) Would cold & sneezing prompt anybody to visit the hospital for a swine flu check? Kindly confirm this, as most of the websites which I have looked at says, it should be cold, fever, with body pain..are the basic symptoms! I am suffering from running nose & sneezing since this morning.

It could be because of the weather here in b'lore, however no chances can be taken..

Appreciate it
Old 10th August 2009, 18:01   #71
BHPian

Thanks Tejas for the detailed information. I have taken print out of the same and will share with my family and friends.

Lets hope our country escapes this virus with no more damage than already done.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post

It could be because of the weather here in b'lore, however no chances can be taken..
See, both your statements are true, it's Bangalore weather and ppl catch cold very easily. And this may not be Swine Flu.
But yes, why take a chance. So see if you have fever also and in case you have fever(102 or more) then it may not be common cold and better get it checked. But this itself doesn't mean that it's swine flu as seasonal flu also have the same symptom.

But somehow I feel that the situation is more of panic than an actual alarm. Is swine flu as dangerous as the news channels are portraying it to be? Recently read(probably WHO website) that people are getting cured even without taking Tami Flu.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:15   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The most basic mask required is the 8000 particulate N95 mask. Is it the same one? There is still doubt within the medical community if the N95 mask is good enough for viruses.
If it's the same one, my medical supplier is gonna get a earful! Can you attach a pic so I can verify?
I did not take pics of the box, as the chemist took them out of box to give us.
According to my wife, this dispovan mask is the same they are giving at Fortis hospital, and Fortis is now selling a "Swine flu kit which has this mask , hand sanitizer, paracetamol and some other junk"
Cost is 4.65/mask. this can be used for 2-3 hours, and looses efficacy once it gets wet. Its the surgical mask with a paper like inner layer.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:37   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post

1) Would cold & sneezing prompt anybody to visit the hospital for a swine flu check? Kindly confirm this, as most of the websites which I have looked at says, it should be cold, fever, with body pain..are the basic symptoms! I am suffering from running nose & sneezing since this morning.
See the form i have attached in my previous post and go according to it. If you fulfill any criteria, then go for a checkup to your doctor.

In your case, it's more likely you are allergic to dust and must have inhaled a lungful while some cleaning or dusting was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Cost is 4.65/mask. this can be used for 2-3 hours, and looses efficacy once it gets wet. Its the surgical mask with a paper like inner layer.
This is important. People have to realize that the life of the mask is very short. Using dupattas and cotton masks won't work at all either.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:50   #75
BHPian

The H1N1 (swine flu) thread

Times newspaper today reported 33% indians will get infected with H1N1.
33% Indians likely to get H1N1: Azad - India - NEWS - The Times of India

The cases and deaths reported in India are fairly low as compared to global statistics.
Most of the information on this global outbreak and statistics can be tracked here
2009 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although this current strain is derived from swine flu, it is not transmitted by swines, it spreads between humans.

If you or any of your family/friends are experiencing flu like symptoms (runny nose, cough, fever, fatigue, muscle/joint pain, headache) then please visit a doctor.

From wikipedia
"Certain symptoms may require emergency medical attention. In children signs of respiratory distress, for instance, those might include blue lips and skin, dehydration, rapid breathing, excessive sleeping, seizures[190] and significant irritability that includes a lack of desire to be held. In adults, shortness of breath, pain in the chest or abdomen, sudden dizziness or confusion may indicate the need for emergency care. In both children and adults, persistent vomiting or the return of flu-like symptoms that include a fever and cough may require medical attention."

Do take care and be alert of symptoms in people around you!

Mods - if there is already an h1n1 thread, please merge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks