Team-BHP - Which watch do you own?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Which watch do you own? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/5927-watch-do-you-own-70.html)

I own a simple gold and silver Giordano and a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17. Love the latter more than words can say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 2514426)
Now I want to ask you, is there something like a second hand market for watches? If I were to put it up for sale would I get anything out of it?

Absolutely! Rolex and Omega are well known for good resale value.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2500cc (Post 2514438)
GIfted by wife and you dare to dispose it ?? Well, if you have decided to sell it, then try posting it in our very own classifieds section
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 2514463)
Thanks 2500cc. will do it in an instant.
Like I said am a cheap guy! Spending money on a watch just doesn't go with me. After I had made enough fun of the watch, even my wife agreed that more than anything, I didn't suit the watch!!

Didnt know that Watches can be put on the classifieds. Thanks. Is there a separate section for watches? Cant find it in Gadgets.

I have always loved Automatics and Mechanical watches. Checked out Titan's Automatic collection, didn't find it very good. They were too flashy for my taste. So, decide to start with the old and reliable HMT. After a lot of phone calls to HMT showrooms around Bangalore, I realised HMT showrooms do not have their Mechanical watches always and and they order it once in a while. So, decided on getting it from the source, HMT factory. After a bit of digging, got to know, the only factory which still has the watches is in Zainakote (J&K). Got hold of a person (very help full guy) in the factory. Ordered a HMT Pilot, got it within a week.
Never knew, there were so many fans of HMT watches. Have ordered about 25 watches over the past month.

Next, planning to buy a Hamilton or a Tissot automatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdityaLN (Post 2515091)
I have always loved Automatics and Mechanical watches. Checked out Titan's Automatic collection, didn't find it very good. They were too flashy for my taste. So, decide to start with the old and reliable HMT. After a lot of phone calls to HMT showrooms around Bangalore, I realised HMT showrooms do not have their Mechanical watches always and and they order it once in a while. So, decided on getting it from the source, HMT factory. After a bit of digging, got to know, the only factory which still has the watches is in Zainakote (J&K). Got hold of a person (very help full guy) in the factory. Ordered a HMT Pilot, got it within a week.
Never knew, there were so many fans of HMT watches. Have ordered about 25 watches over the past month.

Next, planning to buy a Hamilton or a Tissot automatic.

How much did it cost ? Can you please share the contact persons details so that i can order one for myself..
thanks in advance
MSVG

I own a big collection of watches.Tissot PRS 516 and TAG HEUR Carrera Calibre 16 Day Date are the best in my collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvg (Post 2516329)
How much did it cost ? Can you please share the contact persons details so that i can order one for myself..
thanks in advance
MSVG

The prices are unbelievable, factory price of the watch is 515 and then you get a discount of 8%-25%, depending on the season. Plus courier charge of 150 irrespective of the no of watches.

The guy you can talk to is Nooruddin. I have PMd you his contact details. According to him, there is a big fan following for HMT mechinical watches here in Bangalore. He has sent about 200 watches to Bangalore. Then add about 30 watches I have ordered :)

However, if you want just one or two watches they are now available in the HMT showroom in Unity Building for certain. You will get them for about 650 there. Had been there a week back.

@Aditya, useful piece of info that. I myself recently picked up a Seiko 5 Automatic.

Btw, is there any catalog of HMT watches ? Where did you look /. how did you select the model ?

Team-BHP never ceases to please. I entered the "Shifting Gears" forum for the first time, and I see this "wow" post! Some really cool and quality watched out there.

Mine:
Current:
1. Omega Seamaster Professional (Planet Ocean): black dial, white markers, steel bracelet, co-axial escapement
2. Longines Master Collection Moonphase: with the famed Valjoux 7751 movement
3. HMT hand-winding: Janata Deluxe, Kohinoor (the one I am wearing now!), Sona and one pocket watch (don't remember the name)
4. HMT automatic: Suraj
5. Tissot: automatic, T-Classic series

Sold:
1. Omega Speedmaster Day-Date: black dial, white markers, steel bracelet, based on the same Valjoux 7751
2. Breitling Hercules

Here's my year old Seiko Kinetic diver's watch with its bright Lumibrite markings. I love the Kinetic series for its hybrid drive system. It has a micro generator which is run by the wearer's hand movements like an automatic watch which in turn keeps the battery charged (first Kinetic models used capacitors) which actually powers the quartz movement. Once fully charged it will not need another shake for 6 months :) If the power charge goes down the watch goes into a power saving mode and suspends the hand movements, but still keeps the time internally so that it goes back to showing the right time when charged.
Which watch do you own?-img_0189s.jpg

My next watch, when i can buy one, would be a Seiko Spring Drive watch.

@Sankar, if Automatics were something, Seiko sure improved the benchmarks with the Kinetic & the Spring drive.

But personally, I was a little disappointed with the lumbrite. Doesnt glow as well as I had thought it would.

Condor, i concur regarding the brightness part, brightness fades away after a while. But it does hold its glow for a long time, even after kept in my dark drawer overnight. Guess that faint glow it helps some 300feet under the sea. Best markers would be tritium vials :D but Seiko doesn't have it in their line up.

For all practical reasons Citizen Eco Drive is better, but i like the electro mechano mixture that Seiko has in their Kinetic and Spring Drive series.

Edit: read "my dark drawer" as my table's drawer :p

Somehow, the lumbrite on my watch doesnot seem that effective - by a long way, actually.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 2516675)
For all practical reasons Citizen Eco Drive is better, ...

And for all practical purposes, I feel a quartz watch is more accurate & relatively shock-proof than a mechanical watch.

But another point I was surprised about was - the Eco-drive ( had shortlisted one) is as heavy as these - Auto or Kinetic. Both -the Eco-drive & my Seiko weigh Approx 165-169 gm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 2516651)
@Sankar, if Automatics were something, Seiko sure improved the benchmarks with the Kinetic & the Spring drive.

But personally, I was a little disappointed with the lumbrite. Doesnt glow as well as I had thought it would.

I have 2 Seikos, SNA 761 does not glow much but their Orange monster is awesome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 2516703)
But another point I was surprised about was - the Eco-drive ( had shortlisted one) is as heavy as these - Auto or Kinetic. Both -the Eco-drive & my Seiko weigh Approx 165-169 gm.

Materials and Built?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 2516711)
I have 2 Seikos, SNA 761 does not glow much but their Orange monster is awesome!!

I think its quite possible that their diver's series has a better glow considering the environment it was made for. I was confused between the Orange Monster and my Big Freaking Kinetic (as its fondly called) when i was planning to make the purchase. Orange Monster has a cult following.