Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:14   #4576
BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Though I got the watch delivered long back, was waiting for right bracelet/strap.
The bracelet is lovely. Is that for this particular watch or a generic one? Where did you source it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I've heard of Stowa, this one sounds good. Does the 36 mean it's 36mm. I've started to appreciate smaller dials recently and think they are more classy.
From what I gather, this one wears larger on the wrist due to the thin dial and white background. Rest I will post a few wrist shots when I get it. I have worn mostly 38-39 watches till date and this will be my first 36.
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:28   #4577
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
From what I gather, this one wears larger on the wrist due to the thin dial and white background. Rest I will post a few wrist shots when I get it. I have worn mostly 38-39 watches till date and this will be my first 36.
36 is now in. I know people still pick up the 114270 explorer over the 214270 for the size, OP 36mm is also the rage.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:39   #4578
BHPian

Quote:
The bracelet is lovely. Is that for this particular watch or a generic one? Where did you source it from?
Yep it looks good specially with contoured end links. Quality is not that great - it's made from folded metal sheet. I got it from a FB HMT Watch group.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:29   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
36 is now in. I know people still pick up the 114270 explorer over the 214270 for the size, OP 36mm is also the rage.
If someone gets the OP that is. I heard it's out of stock everywhere.
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:52   #4580
BHPian

Finally managed to order a HMT Karna white dial. Although I wanted a leather strap, only the version with a steel strap is available on their website. Any reliable online stores where we can order good quality leather straps? Thanks in advance.
sanmish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:10   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If someone gets the OP that is. I heard it's out of stock everywhere.
Hahaha..getting a sports Rolex from an AD is like spotting a blue moon. I have been after the 214270 Explorer for more than a year and Indian stores pretty much made it clear that they have no supply. I suspect that whatever limited supply they have is reserved for their "high end" customers and not regular walk in customers/ first time buyers like us. It is the case the world over, and the Rolex supply chain for India is among the worst.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:45   #4582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have been after the 214270 Explorer for more than a year and Indian stores pretty much made it clear that they have no supply....
Hi Arindam,

I am looking to buy a daily wear budget quartz watch, and have shortlisted the 2 below. What's your opinion on Alba (subsidiary of Seiko Corp.)? Are they reliable, sturdy and worth the asking price?

https://alba-watches.co.in/collectio...ducts/as9l37x1

https://alba-watches.co.in/collectio...ducts/as9l39x1
Old 24th March 2021, 11:58   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Arindam,

I am looking to buy a daily wear budget quartz watch, and have shortlisted the 2 below. What's your opinion on Alba (subsidiary of Seiko Corp.)? Are they reliable, sturdy and worth the asking price?

https://alba-watches.co.in/collectio...ducts/as9l37x1

https://alba-watches.co.in/collectio...ducts/as9l39x1
Unfortunately, I do not have personal experience of having handled these watches, so it would be unfair of me to comment. Having said that, since it is a relatively simple quartz watch, I would not sweat too much because internals are typically simple with just a batter change being required from time to time. If you are happy with the look and feel of the watch, you could consider it. Just check the return policy in case you are not happy with the actual product in hand. INR 5000-6000 is not an unreasonable price if the build quality is decent.

Looks like there is a Boats wireless earpod also bundled as part of the offer! Not bad then

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th March 2021 at 12:03.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 11:11   #4584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
I need to get an old HMT Janata repaired. It's not in working condition and I would prefer to give it to some reliable watch repair guy only. Can someone here please guide me to one? Location: Mumbai
Adding an image here for reference. Its my grandfather's watch so would be 40+ years old I am assuming, is there any way to find out when this would have been made? Also any heads-up would be helpful in terms of reliable repair guy in Mumbai. Although I know the condition does not look good, whatever best possible would help.
Which watch do you own?-janata_old.jpeg

Meanwhile, also got hold of these two from the HMT website. The White Janata with Devanagari script is just soo unique! Although not really happy that a brand new watch has scratches on the glass. Will get them replaced with better quality ones.
Which watch do you own?-pilot_new.jpeg
Which watch do you own?-janata_new.jpeg
curiosity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:55   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Adding an image here for reference. Its my grandfather's watch so would be 40+ years old I am assuming, is there any way to find out when this would have been made? Also any heads-up would be helpful in terms of reliable repair guy in Mumbai. Although I know the condition does not look good, whatever best possible would help.
There are a few people in Mumbai whom I regularly get "re-worked" watches from, one is in Bandra area, who prefers interactions only through couriers, safety in COVID times. New dial and case polishing etc. can cost you around 2500/-. This person does a fantastic job. He is more of a passionate watch maker cum hobbyist.

The second has a shop in Fort Area and lives in Andheri, talks too much, does a decent job, would cost you around 1500 for servicing only, including parts. This guy is the regular joe, if you can call him, as he does this for a living.

On a lighter note, depending on how fond your memories are of your grandfather, you can choose either of the two.

Cheers!
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:14   #4586

Quote:
Meanwhile, also got hold of these two from the HMT website. The White Janata with Devanagari script is just soo unique! Although not really happy that a brand new watch has scratches on the glass. Will get them replaced with better quality ones.
Attachment 2137424
I have been religiously checking their website for the pilot to be back in stock even after registering for notification. Can you share what voodoo magic was performed for you to be able to acquire one?
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:41   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
There are a few people in Mumbai whom I regularly get "re-worked" watches from, one is in Bandra area, who prefers interactions only through couriers, safety in COVID times. New dial and case polishing etc. can cost you around 2500/-. This person does a fantastic job. He is more of a passionate watch maker cum hobbyist.

Cheers!
Thanks for your revert Shivshanker, can you please provide me with the details of this person in the Bandra area. I am in no rush and would hold on till the covid cases subsides but would like to understand in detail what all can be done with the Watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
I have been religiously checking their website for the pilot to be back in stock even after registering for notification. Can you share what voodoo magic was performed for you to be able to acquire one?
Hi Bagheera, I would put it as pure luck! I was at the right place at the right time just a few post back BHP'ian somspaple posted a photo of his HMT Pilot, which I believe prompted BHP'ian LonleyPlanet to pick one from HMT website and he posted that on this thread. After seeing the post, I visited the website, found it to be in stock...loved the Janata as well so picked up both. Now waiting for the Kohinoor. I spoke with the HMT folks at Bangalore and I believe the next lot is expected to come by the 2nd week of April, now I am not sure how reliable can this information be as it was just told to me when I was enquiring about new stock. I had called them to figure out the tracking details for the Pilot & Janata since I did not receive any confirmation from HMT.
curiosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 16:02   #4588
BHPian

Just now bought three on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20210409_155520.jpg  

girishv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 20:44   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
Quick update: Some new versions of the Pilot are in stock on the HMT website as I write this, although not the traditionally famous ones.
curiosity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 21:33   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Just now bought three on the right
Quote:
Quick update: Some new versions of the Pilot are in stock on the HMT website as I write this, although not the traditionally famous ones.
Damn, I cannot believe this. Thank you for your posts guys. I just ordered the White dial pilot with Blue hands. It looks exactly same as the limited edition White dial pilot, which I was looking for years.

I checked second hand of the same watch many months ago and sellers were selling them for Rs: 10K - 20K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks