Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 11:32   #4426
BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
For those in Pune, what’s a good place to get watches serviced, batteries replaced, etc.? We are talking Tag, Tissot, Seiko, kinda watches, nothing very high end. TIA.
I have recently started using a gentleman by the name Ashif (Rovnaq Timekeeper) - 922691131, in Saifee Lane, towards the Court and Garden Side.

I recently gave him half a dozen watches for a battery change and other small work, including an Omega and Rolex (I cracked the glass in the shutdown) for a Service - He was really reasonable and quick.

This is the closest locations I could find for him - https://goo.gl/maps/DzDVPLQvwqWd4vP36

I do not know him personally, just a happy customer!

If you do go there make sure you try out the samosas from Akhtar Samosa.. you wont regret it!!!
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:01   #4427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I am not quite sure to how many Rolex watches or models that applies. If you want to have some thoughts on the going rate on second hand watches, this here is a good site with some 45.000 pre-owned Rolex. You can set the currency etc.

https://www.chrono24.be/rolex/pre-ow...BE&SETCURR=EUR
Sorry for quoting a 2 year old post, but have you purchased watches from the Chrono24(/.be/.in) site (i.e. from the sellers listed on this site)?

Any words of advice/recommendations with regards to the overall process? I'm looking at a Tissot watch from a Singapore(-an) dealer with a 1000+ positive reviews.

Another site with thousands of +ve online review is Creationwatches.com. However they don't seem to be shipping to India currently; however in the past I see a lot of +ve feedback/reviews from Indian buyers. Possibly due to the pandemic, they have limited the shipping options.

Edit: Anyone who's ordered watches from online sites - what's the situation with custom duties? Did you face any constraints/delays? With regards to the above sites, I see this as a common constraint - numerous European based reviews/feedback talk about custom fees that turned out to be 50% of the cost of the watch.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd November 2020 at 10:12.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:52   #4428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry for quoting a 2 year old post, but have you purchased watches from the Chrono24(/.be/.in) site (i.e. from the sellers listed on this site)?
I have purchased a watch quite some years ago form one of the sellers. Earlier this year I helped my wife’s God son purchase this very nice (vintage) Omega. It was a graduation present from his parents.

Which watch do you own?-89e44ca75a5e4e64ade744fc944e6118.jpg

It came with all the paperwork, service bills etc. The seller was located in Canada an it was shipped to the UK.

In all it was a very good experience. But you are dealing with individual sellers, not the website as such. So make sure to check out the individual sellers, prefer payment online for me is always Paypal, because I know I will get my money back if anything goes wrong.

Good luck.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 2nd November 2020 at 12:53.
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:14   #4429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have purchased a watch quite some years ago form one of the sellers. Earlier this year I helped my wife’s God son purchase this very nice (vintage) Omega.

It came with all the paperwork, service bills etc. The seller was located in Canada an it was shipped to the UK.
Thank you! Was either of the purchase delivery to India? I believe I'm sorted on the seller's reputation (atleast in principle), now the question is on the customs. Haven't found a review/feedback about how the experience has been for Indian (customs).
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:21   #4430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Was either of the purchase delivery to India? I believe I'm sorted on the seller's reputation (atleast in principle), now the question is on the customs. Haven't found a review/feedback about how the experience has been for Indian (customs).
No sorry, I have no experience sending watches to India.
Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:21   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Chrono24 has a wide selection of watches however most of the watches are priced 10-15% higher. Not too certain about Tissot but brands like AP, Rolex etc. are definitely priced on the higher side. I always use it to get an idea of the market but won't use it to make a purchase.

Quote:
Any words of advice/recommendations with regards to the overall process? I'm looking at a Tissot watch from a Singapore(-an) dealer with a 1000+ positive reviews.
Try finding a local deal, getting watches shipped will always attract a custom duty no matter what brand the watch is.

Quote:
Edit: Anyone who's ordered watches from online sites - what's the situation with custom duties? Did you face any constraints/delays? With regards to the above sites, I see this as a common constraint - numerous European based reviews/feedback talk about custom fees that turned out to be 50% of the cost of the watch.
Customs in India are currently a mess. I don't know about Bombay but Delhi customs have a large backlog and all packages are getting delayed and are attracting custom charges. Just ordered a watch case which shouldn't have had a problem but that too got charged by customs and literally was on the verge of getting confiscated. Luckily we know a few people so got it released but couldn't get away with the duty as it got charged the day it landed in Delhi and once charged, there is no way to get it removed.

Luxury watches have a 41% custom duty in India including GST so as mentioned above, try finding a local deal, you'll be way better off.
pranavmichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:39   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't found a review/feedback about how the experience has been for Indian (customs).
Please note that customs on watches have now been increased to ~80 %. (Import to India)

It would be better to buy watches from local authorized dealers!

Last edited by RedStallion : 2nd November 2020 at 14:42.
RedStallion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:21   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
Please note that customs on watches have now been increased to ~80 %. (Import to India)
I wasn’t aware of this change. When was the duty increased?
However i’m not surprised. The duty amounts are horrendous in our country.
pranavmichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:59   #4434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You might want to check out: https://www.secondtimezone.com/all-watches if you are looking to buy higher end used watches in India.

It is a used watch market run by Ethos. I do suspect the pricing will be on the higher side but at least one hopes that products will be genuine.

Strangely, I am not seeing Omega on the site in recent months.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:16   #4435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This duty will be applicable to the authorized dealers as well right? In which case, will their prices be cheaper than importing them individually?
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:45   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavmichael View Post
When was the duty increased?
This year is the one! In this scenario, buying watch from outside of India, is not at all economical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This duty will be applicable to the authorized dealers as well right? In which case, will their prices be cheaper than importing them individually?
Authorized dealers will have large inventories to import. They can always negotiate on the pricing, they need to pay for that bulk.

You will be surprised to find that sometimes we have similar prices compared to USA or any other countries in which similar watch retails!

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
RedStallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:11   #4437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There is a huge markup/margin in luxury watches (at times 50%), so the dealers in India can give you a hefty discount. Apart from the margin, I think the dealers pay duty on the price of acquisition which is much lower than the selling price.

While importing you are paying import duty on the list price + shipping + insurance on a base price that is much higher than that of a dealer.
Old 8th November 2020, 07:26   #4438
BHPian

Quote:

I was charged 42% this week..Could you please share the notification?

Quote:

You can get away (customs can always ask you to furnish invoice) with lower customs depending on seller declaration, mode of courier and type of watch.

For example, a $300 watch declared at $15 and sent through registered post will usually not attract any duty. Many sellers in Aliexpress, some microbrands and ebay do this. Creationwatches did this for me as well.

Many microbrands in the $200-600 range, usually Asia based, are also willing to declare at $70-100 and send by Fedex. You pay duties on the declared amount plus customs clearance charges. Note: No US seller will under declare - some EU sellers do.

Excluding the above categories, most sellers will insure watches and declare the full amount. Hence, for luxury watches, makes sense that either someone brings it down, you buy from a local AD post hardcore bargaining or buy second hand from a known seller if possible (just like cars).
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 20:07   #4439
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Help me (or make it worse ) for me - for the love of god, I'm not able to make a decision on how to decide between 3 brands - Tissot, Seiko and Frederique Constant.

How I got to those three brands is a long story (lol) but if I'm looking at dress watches from all 3 brands, is there really a difference I should be paying attention to?

If it helps, I'm looking at Seiko Presage options, Tissot Everytime options and generic dress watches from FC.

Suggestive examples:

Tissot - link
Seiko - link
FC - link

P.s. I know this is not a straightforward question; a lot depends on the model, the movement type, and what not. But just a shoutout to get views from those who have more information that I can gather online.
Old 10th November 2020, 20:27   #4440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Help me (or make it worse ) for me - for the love of god, I'm not able to make a decision on how to decide between 3 brands - Tissot, Seiko and Frederique Constant..
My vote goes to the Seiko, looks very classy indeed.

If you want to explore more options, do check out the Bambino collection by Orient, particularly the Classic, Contemporary and Youth series.

https://orientwatch.in/collections/
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks