Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 00:14   #4396
BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

My first Automatic watch. The Seiko 5 Sports.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20200918_001206.jpg  

adi.mariner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:05   #4397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
My first Automatic watch. The Seiko 5 Sports.
Good choice. This is the spiritual successor to the Seiko SKX009 Pepsi, and a solid all round watch . Good to see that you avoided the Fossil by a whisker

Enjoy the watch and welcome to the world of mechanical watches. With basic maintenance, it should serve you for years to come!
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:25   #4398
Senior - BHPian

After 8 years of rotating between 3 Fossils that wifey gifted (yes, we know nothing about watches!) all of which have started acting up recently (doesn't keep time, stops out of nowhere, battery doesn't last), I decided to get a slightly better watch for my 39th birthday.

My budget was modest, and as I was looking for a simple watch with a white dial (all the watches I have now are basically black dials with metal straps), I ordered a Tissot Everytime which was available for a good discount on Amazon Prime Japan (JPY 19700 = INR 13800). Hope this one lasts for a few years, as I like to keep my things for as long as possible.

Which watch do you own?-untitled.jpg

Any advice from the expert members on the upkeep?
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:33   #4399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

Any advice from the expert members on the upkeep?
Solid choice, enjoy the watch. I am assuming this is a quartz piece? If so, then nothing required other than to replace the battery when it runs out. However, if it is an automatic variant, then typically a service every 6-8 years would be warranted.

And about Fossil and other "fashion brands/watches"- nothing to worry about, they are the entry points for watch enthusiasts the world over. Not everyone (me included) has any clue about mechanical watches from the get go. I discovered them in my mid thirties as well, and since then, the wallet has suffered a beating quite frequently. Till then, I pretty much wore a Fossil and a Casio for years. Now that you are into Swiss pieces, keep aside a good chunk of money in the coming years as the itch to upgrade and add more pieces to the collection is likely to strike soon

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th September 2020 at 09:49.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:16   #4400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Solid choice, enjoy the watch. I am assuming this is a quartz piece? If so, then nothing required other than to replace the battery when it runs out.
Thank you. Yes, it is Quartz. The only thing I will miss is the date display, as I am very used to it on my existing watches.

Quote:
Now that you are into Swiss pieces, keep aside a good chunk of money in the coming years as the itch to upgrade and add more pieces to the collection is likely to strike soon
I truly hope nothing of that sort happens, as I am already broke, thanks to my first love - classic motorcycles.

Being in Japan, I hope to slowly replace my Fossils with relatively inexpensive, but good Japanese brands.
Old 18th September 2020, 10:31   #4401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Being in Japan, I hope to slowly replace my Fossils with relatively inexpensive, but good Japanese brands.
Oh, wow, I did not realize you were in Japan. Japan is truly the mecca of used Swiss luxury watches, and you can get killer deals in watch districts like Ginza (?) and others. Of course, I have no first hand experience, but have seen countless videos and read articles on the watch scene in Japan. Not to mention Seiko, Casio, Citizen and Orient being the holy quartet of Japanese watchmaking.

You are truly in the right place for getting into the watch hobby my friend. Enjoy!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th September 2020 at 10:32.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:23   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
Good choice. This is the spiritual successor to the Seiko SKX009 Pepsi, and a solid all round watch . Good to see that you avoided the Fossil by a whisker

Enjoy the watch and welcome to the world of mechanical watches. With basic maintenance, it should serve you for years to come!
Thank you very much arindambasu13 for your guidance. The Fossil was in my Amazon cart about to be bought when I thought to just check on this thread. Loved the simple and elegant watch face. Might be a noob question, but what kind of maintenance are we talking about exactly?
Old 18th September 2020, 11:31   #4403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Thank you very much arindambasu13 for your guidance. The Fossil was in my Amazon cart about to be bought when I thought to just check on this thread. Loved the simple and elegant watch face. Might be a noob question, but what kind of maintenance are we talking about exactly?
Mechanical watches will have a periodic service requirement, roughly in intervals of 5-10 years. Just like one has to get one's vehicle serviced, mechanical components in your watch will need the periodic oil and lubrication change, cleaning and replacement of worn out components etc. There are different schools of thought on this, but I subscribe to the school where I believe that a service is required only when the watch starts underperforming (i.e. running well below the specified accuracy range), and not before that.

Most Seiko movements, including the 4R36 on your Seiko 5, are very hardy and will easily run for 6-8 years without needing any service, possibly for even more time. Given that well built mechanical watches would run reliably for decades, these periodic servicing events are part of the ownership package.

Other than that, try to keep your watch away from shocks (for example, heavy swinging/impact or jarring movements of your watch hand) to the extent possible. Also, avoid proximity to heavy magnetic fields, for instance, large speakers etc. These tend to affect delicate mechanical movements adversely. Other than these, you should be good to go. Divers watches are built tough!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th September 2020 at 11:35.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:36   #4404
BHPian

How about I let the pictures do the talking?

The Patek Philippe is a first copy. Can't imagine myself buying an original someday.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_1377.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1378.jpg  

Abhineet Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 17:22   #4405
Senior - BHPian

A photo I took the other day, which displays Seiko's absolute mastery over watch case engineering. Their ability to make their chunky dive watches wear much smaller in reality and on the wrist, as compared to their dimensions on paper, is legendary.

Here is my latest acquisition, the Seiko Tuna (diameter of 47.7mm), next to my trusty Orient Mako (diameter of 41.5mm). The Tuna should dwarf the Mako, but in real life, it is a completely different story. The lug to lug distance on the Mako is quite noticeably longer, making the Tuna appear much smaller than its case size. The dial size on the Tuna is also a bit smaller than that on the Mako.

Just shows how comfortably and proportionately the Tuna can wear even on smaller wrists.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-_img_000000_000000__02.jpg  

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th September 2020 at 17:27.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 17:39   #4406
BHPian

hello all, bought this from my regular guy in Mumbai, do not know what is the make of this unique one, also Google could not provide any leads. Any inputs on the name and make of this clock would be highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-whatsapp-image-20200920-5.38.09-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by shivshanker : 20th September 2020 at 17:40.
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 21:33   #4407
BHPian

For those in Pune, what’s a good place to get watches serviced, batteries replaced, etc.? We are talking Tag, Tissot, Seiko, kinda watches, nothing very high end. TIA.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:21   #4408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
For those in Pune, what’s a good place to get watches serviced, batteries replaced, etc.? We are talking Tag, Tissot, Seiko, kinda watches, nothing very high end. TIA.
For servicing, try one of the following:

1. Ethos Watches in Pavilion mall or Phoenix mall.
2. Just in time on JM Road, MG Road or Aundh
3. CT Pundole on MG Road or JM Road

Don't know if they are operational these days or not. Also, no personal watch servicing experience with any of them.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th September 2020 at 22:23.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:25   #4409
BHPian

I have a Casio G-Shock 5600 tough solar and the veteran Casio F91W.
Akash.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:30   #4410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
For servicing, try one of the following:

1. Ethos Watches in Pavilion mall or Phoenix mall.
2. Just in time on JM Road, MG Road or Aundh
3. CT Pundole on MG Road or JM Road

Don't know if they are operational these days or not. Also, no personal watch servicing experience with any of them.
Just in Time and CT Pundole on MG Road and JM Road are operational. Had been there this week only.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks