Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2020, 00:19   #4276
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,887
Thanked: 8,110 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Probably a completely stupid question here but I still do want to ask. How do you all manage battery of a watch which you use occasionally? I have read that moving the crown on an analogue watch to time set mode will stop the battery from discharging. I know that is how it is when you buy a new one as well but not sure if its ok to do the same personally as well.
I think that depends on the type of movement. Not all watches will save battery with the crown pulled out. Some movements just disengage the gear which stops the moment of hands but the quartz keeps beating. Some may disconnect the battery connectivity and that will save power.
However, I prefer keeping my watches running so as to know when the battery runs out. This is because keeping the discharged battery inside the watch may result in battery leak which will destroy the watch. If I keep the crown pulled out, then I will not know when the battery runs out and that risks the watch. My advice is going DIY for battery change of your watches if you are inclined to it. Most of the batteries are not too expensive if you find the right place to buy. Most watchmakers charge 2-3 times the actual price.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 03:09   #4277
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Robin hood city
Posts: 858
Thanked: 1,290 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
However, I prefer keeping my watches running so as to know when the battery runs out. This is because keeping the discharged battery inside the watch may result in battery leak which will destroy the watch. If I keep the crown pulled out, then I will not know when the battery runs out and that risks the watch. My advice is going DIY for battery change of your watches if you are inclined to it. Most of the batteries are not too expensive if you find the right place to buy. Most watchmakers charge 2-3 times the actual price.

Regards.
Thanks for the response Saket. Bolded part is what keeps me from trying to do it myself too and hence the question. I was trying to maintain the battery in all my watches but not all of them are with me here. So whenever I visit home, I try to replace the set I have with the ones at home during which time I need to replace all their batteries. So was wondering how others maintain.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 13:18   #4278
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,258 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

My HMT Kohinoor arrived a few weeks back, immediately upon courier services being made operational again. The order was placed in the middle of lockdown and was very efficiently dispatched at the first opportunity by HMT.

The watch is absolutely gorgeous, especially the iridescent Blue dial which is the highlight of the piece. The domed plexi crystal is just achingly beautiful, just infuses the right amount of vintage into the watch. Makes for a lovely and classy dress watch on a budget. Did not like the bracelet and so changed to a black leather strap, which makes it look even classier.

Will pair very nicely with a suit and Oxford shirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200527_131411878.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200527_131402303.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200527_131352408.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200527_131343164.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200527_131325198.jpg  


Last edited by arindambasu13 : 27th May 2020 at 13:25.
arindambasu13 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 14:01   #4279
Newbie
 
7000plusrpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 17
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Hi,
While casually browsing, found this Seiko Premier watch.

Now, a quick search on Amazon India shows 54K INR.

The same is available on Ethos Watches for 69.5K INR.
Some other websites (Creation Watches and Clock) has them listed too. The cheapest being Creation Watches.

Since I have no idea about these websites and I have mostly made my watch purchases from a store, can any of our members guide me? I would like to know if it is advisable to purchase them online and which website one among the ones I've listed are reliable based on previous experiences.

Just a note, I am not affiliated with any of the websites mentioned above. I am just looking for an opinion from more knowledgable members here.
7000plusrpm is offline  
Old 27th May 2020, 14:42   #4280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 255
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Where did you get the strap. Its pretty and matches well with the watch.
I too bought a kohinoor, but with a saffron color dial and looking for a strap,
preferably brown colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

The watch is absolutely gorgeous, especially the iridescent Blue dial which is the highlight of the piece. The domed plexi crystal is just achingly beautiful, just infuses the right amount of vintage into the watch. Makes for a lovely and classy dress watch on a budget. Did not like the bracelet and so changed to a black leather strap, which makes it look even classier.
girishv is offline  
Old 27th May 2020, 15:22   #4281
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,258 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Hi,
While casually browsing, found this Seiko Premier watch.

Now, a quick search on Amazon India shows 54K INR.

The same is available on Ethos Watches for 69.5K INR.
Some other websites (Creation Watches and Clock) has them listed too. The cheapest being Creation Watches.

Since I have no idea about these websites and I have mostly made my watch purchases from a store, can any of our members guide me? I would like to know if it is advisable to purchase them online and which website one among the ones I've listed are reliable based on previous experiences.

Just a note, I am not affiliated with any of the websites mentioned above. I am just looking for an opinion from more knowledgable members here.
You might end up paying customs duty on Creation watches since it is Singapore based. In general watches are much more expensive in India and much better priced abroad. But the latter option entails customs duties. So you'll have to take a call on which option is more economical in the long run. Safest would be to buy from Ethos or Amazon since return and after sales support would be easy.

I personally buy watches in the US and have it brought down by friends or relatives.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 16:45   #4282
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,887
Thanked: 8,110 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
My HMT Kohinoor arrived a few weeks back, immediately upon courier services being made operational again.
Thatís a beautiful time piece. I remember my dad had the same watch but with a white dial. Sadly it was given away to our domestic helpís husband quite some time ago when I was still a kid and had no fascination with watches. I would have cherished it if I had it now.
saket77 is offline  
Old 27th May 2020, 17:10   #4283
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,258 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Where did you get the strap. Its pretty and matches well with the watch.
I too bought a kohinoor, but with a saffron color dial and looking for a strap,
preferably brown colour.
Actually this is a very ordinary strap which I purchased at the neighbouring Titan store. Very basic quality for around 300 rupees. World have preferred investing in a quality strap but didn't want to spend too much at this time.

Please post pics of the saffron dial. A black strap such as this one would go well with saffron as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thatís a beautiful time piece. I remember my dad had the same watch but with a white dial. Sadly it was given away to our domestic helpís husband quite some time ago when I was still a kid and had no fascination with watches. I would have cherished it if I had it now.
Thank you. Yes HMT watches are definitely heirloom pieces in India. The build quality and in hand feel leaves a lot to be desired but I've seen them lasting decades nonetheless. Difficult get better quality at these price points though. I bought this only for the aesthetic appeal and sense of nostalgia.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 17:47   #4284
BHPian
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NCR/Turin
Posts: 522
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Hi,
While casually browsing, found this Seiko Premier watch.

Now, a quick search on Amazon India shows 54K INR.

The same is available on Ethos Watches for 69.5K INR.
Some other websites (Creation Watches and Clock) has them listed too. The cheapest being Creation Watches.

Since I have no idea about these websites and I have mostly made my watch purchases from a store, can any of our members guide me? I would like to know if it is advisable to purchase them online and which website one among the ones I've listed are reliable based on previous experiences.

Just a note, I am not affiliated with any of the websites mentioned above. I am just looking for an opinion from more knowledgable members here.
Ethos has an average of 20 percent discount on Seiko's and since the comany is a bit strained financially for that juicy cash flow, they might discount more. I was getting a good 22 percent off on a cocktail style Prospex
Get in touch with them.

@ Arindam-
Nice HMT's! How are they holding up? I know they are among the cheapest watches you can buy but the quality is bad, very bad.
My Kohinoor's Lume marking just came off and the glass casing is probably bisleri plastic.
But I love the watch, it keeps great time and that Citizen movement is a tank!
Just sad that this brand could have been so much more.

Last edited by Doge : 27th May 2020 at 17:52.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 19:16   #4285
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,258 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post

@ Arindam-
Nice HMT's! How are they holding up? I know they are among the cheapest watches you can buy but the quality is bad, very bad.
My Kohinoor's Lume marking just came off and the glass casing is probably bisleri plastic.
But I love the watch, it keeps great time and that Citizen movement is a tank!
Just sad that this brand could have been so much more.
True, the build quality is nothing to write home about. I bought this because it is aesthetically pleasing as a dress watch to wear on a daily basis to office. Still early days so let's see how it holds up to daily wear. My regular dress watch is the Orient Bambino, this HMT will be a secondary dress watch.
arindambasu13 is offline  
Old 27th May 2020, 20:29   #4286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 255
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Actually this is a very ordinary strap which I purchased at the neighbouring Titan store. Very basic quality for around 300 rupees. World have preferred investing in a quality strap but didn't want to spend too much at this time.

Please post pics of the saffron dial. A black strap such as this one would go well with saffron as well.
Thanks, will visit titan showroom over weekend.

Here are the pictures of my watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-whatsapp-image-20200527-20.20.17.jpeg  

Attached Images
 
girishv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 21:33   #4287
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 13,694
Thanked: 41,224 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Seems like HMT Kohinoor is the theme for the current page.

Nice, because I bought mine this week as well - A humble white dial! Good emotional connect because it was my father's first watch - and the one with which I learned to read time.

Which watch do you own?-20200520_111543.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2020 at 21:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 23:51   #4288
BHPian
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NCR/Turin
Posts: 522
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Which watch do you own?-c2993fb66a6c437593eb8f6d6e02e2d0.jpg

Well I am happy that there is passion for this almost dead Indian watch brand.
Anyone can appreciate a JLC or a Rolex.
Doge is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:30   #4289
Newbie
 
7000plusrpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 17
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Ethos has an average of 20 percent discount on Seiko's and since the comany is a bit strained financially for that juicy cash flow, they might discount more. I was getting a good 22 percent off on a cocktail style Prospex
Get in touch with them.
I just wanted to thank you for the suggestion. I had a chat with Ethos today. They have confirmed over the phone that there is a nice 25% discount. Probably going to get it.
7000plusrpm is offline  
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:17   #4290
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,258 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
I just wanted to thank you for the suggestion. I had a chat with Ethos today. They have confirmed over the phone that there is a nice 25% discount. Probably going to get it.
What is the price of a Cocktail Time after the 25% discount that Ethos has quoted?
arindambasu13 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks