Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 06:53   #4216
BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Couple of good options that you can consider:

Tudor Black Bay 58. One of the hottest watches in the market today, and with good reason. Fantastic alternative to the insanely overpriced Submariner. Unfortunately, India does not have a sales channel for this and your best bet is to buy in the USA. Be prepared for wait times of a few months. I have been lusting after this watch for months, and will pick it up some day when budget permits. Its around 4000 USD currently, roughly INR 3 lakhs
I absolutely second this recommendation based on the budget and other requirements, and I say this as a current owner of a BB58 on a leather deployant. The only catch here are the crazy waiting periods. These have appreciated in the secondary market, but we'll see how long that lasts with the coming economic downturn. I'm going to hold onto mine for the long haul as I adore it, and if you think you like it in photos and videos, you won't be disappointed with it in person.
Old 25th March 2020, 10:23   #4217
BHPian

I've logged back into my TBHP account after nearly 7 years and its amazing how the forum has evolved. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there's a bunch of watch lovers on tis forum. I figured I'd contribute to this thread as well as its something I'm passionate about.

I'll start off with what I'm "daily driving" (of course I have to make a car reference) for the past few weeks. Its a Breguet Type XX ref 3800 with a very early tritium dial and Breguet signature. This one's staying with me for a while for sure.

*Its been so long since I've posted on this forum, that I messed something up on my previous attempt*

Its been 7 years since I last logged into my account, and it's fun to read up on the latest regarding the India car scene. I guess I'm also not surprised that there's a bunch of watch lovers on here. I figured I'd make my contribution here as well.

Below is my current "daily-driver" in rotation as I WFH every day, and I just love it. Its a Breguet Type XX with the very early tritium dial configuration. This one will definitely stay with me for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_1040.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1043-1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1043-1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_1040.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th March 2020 at 11:53. Reason: back to back posts merged
kinetic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:52   #4218
BHPian

Using an Apple watch series 3 42mm cellular+gps. Love it for its customisations i.e. watch faces + band combinations. plus its an activity tracker with a heart rate monitor and lets me leave my phone behind at those times due to its cellular capabilities and ability to reply to whatsapp, snapchat, fb messenger notifications thanks to siri.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-2e078a3eec8542349e9e93605192acb2.jpeg  

Slickshift99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 04:19   #4219
Senior - BHPian

Here is another gem from my gold watch collection that always makes me smile whenever I roll the wrist to see the time.

This is Ulysse Nardin Michelangelo Big Date and Timezone UTC 226-48. It has a beautiful sunburst dial on a elegant tonneau shaped case that measures 35mm x 47mm.

Which watch do you own?-b5739c6bf9f04380a44f0c0f7533eff2.jpeg

Which watch do you own?-89e8b7b3caf748b6a7e834a16185ab29.jpeg

Which watch do you own?-22ca0fd9dcca4601b25bcf788928c288.jpeg

Ulysse Nardin is a brand famous for its dive watches but I took a different route to discover this beautiful dress watch instead.

Other 18k gold watches in my collection are Rolex President, Omega Constellation and Tissot T-Gold.
trammway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:50   #4220
BHPian

Where do I start Iwonder. The pursuit of finding a perfect time piece to encapsulate the memories of an event that was to be my marriage ended in me buying this unexpected beautiful orient star.

I love orient watches, I had gifted my father an orient bambino ver 2 with one of my first paycheques. Orient Star tough was an unknown entity.

To commemorate the occasion of a marriage here in Southern India, the bride's father gifts the groom a watch. I was presented with the task to find a watch which would satiate this requirement.

My father-in-law to be, was leaning towards a golden Rado Diaster, I had other plans, I wanted something unique, that had an understated design while being affordable and which had to have an automatic movement.

My search started with the quintessential Indian favourites, starting from watches made by Titan, Casio, Timex, Tissot etc.
I was drawn towards a watch made by Avi-8, until I realised it was mostly a Chinese brand with questionable quality.

Not wanting to settle on something that would not keep me happy beyond a few days or months, my search turned international with the daily search continuing on many websites.

I finally found creation watches and being baffled by the rock bottom price, unsure if the watch would even be delivered or if it would be genuine I went ahead and ordered this Orient Star watch which in its display pictures on the website looked quite ordinary.

To my surprise received the timepiece intact in quick order and to my delight was every bit authentic.

The piece made of stainless steel looks dazzling in sunlight. The dial, oh the beautiful dial in a shimmering brown starburst patter looks wonderful in person and the applied markers complete the look. The flawless craftsmanship is the crowning glory for this masterpiece. The hour hands in shiny rose gold finish brings together the wholesome design of the timepiece.

The moment a 22 jewel in house automatic with a 50 hour power reserve is accurate enough for my needs.

The dial furthermore features a power reserve indicator, a tiny seconds dial, and a tiny fragment of skeleton that displays the moment powering the watch underneath.

The moment has been described as busy by some people but this 41mm piece is perfect for me.

Thank you all for reading through my rant.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20200319_07222901.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200326_13450901.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20200326_134444.jpg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 6th April 2020 at 22:10. Reason: Multiple typos. Thanks.
Thebat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:54   #4221
BHPian

Guys, quick query for all of you, have you ever ordered from clock.co.in website? If yes, how was your experience? Is it a reliable website? Kindly let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 7th April 2020, 00:28   #4222
BHPian

Here is my humble collection.
1. Casio Edifice EFR-526L-7AVUDF
Which watch do you own?-img_20200406_223501__01.jpg
It was my wife's choice for our wedding. I wore it almost every day for the next three years till the next one joined the collection.

2. Citizen Ecodrive BM7400-12L
Which watch do you own?-img_20200406_224412.jpg
I wanted to have an Ecodrive for a long time, but the problem was most of them were either too big for my wrist or too big for my wallet. Finally about 3 months back got this one on Amazon.

3. Casio Sheen SH215
Which watch do you own?-img_20200406_223852__01.jpg
Obviously I don't wear this, it belongs to my wife. Got this for her from a Casio store in Kochi. It looks even more beautiful in reality.
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 08:21   #4223
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
What discounts can I expect in Bangalore for Omega & Rolex? Seriously thinking between Omega Moonwatch 1891 movement & Rolex Datejust or Explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
In Rolex, I would go for Datejust with fluted bezel. It looks awesome in real life and it has the brand tag which is major factor.
Quote:
The watches that you have mentioned are far removed from the INR 3-5 price bracket that was mentioned. More importantly, they are next to impossible to obtain for a buyer without a track record and history with an authorized dealer.
We bought a couple recently. This is the one my brother bought for 5.5 lakhs. He was very particular about the roman numbers & colours. Waited a handful of months for it to arrive.

Which watch do you own?-img20190902wa0020.jpg

In Bombay, we pitted the 3 dealers against each other and got up to 70 grand off on one of the other models (worked out to about 10%).

If you travel, the best place to pick it up is UK Duty Free. Cheapest in the world. What's more, if you give them a 15 day heads-up on your travel dates and your exact choice of watch (model, colour etc.), they will source it.

Which watch do you own?-img20190923wa0005.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:59   #4224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We bought a couple recently. This is the one my brother bought for 5.5 lakhs. He was very particular about the roman numbers & colours. Waited a handful of months for it to arrive.

Attachment 1989996
Is that 36mm? Looks very nice.

Quote:
In Bombay, we pitted the 3 dealers against each other and got up to 70 grand off on one of the other models (worked out to about 10%).

If you travel, the best place to pick it up is UK Duty Free. Cheapest in the world. What's more, if you give them a 15 day heads-up on your travel dates and your exact choice of watch (model, colour etc.), they will source it.
That is a very handsome discount. And good tip about UK.

Dont think things will open by before my anniversary. So will check there.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:20   #4225
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Is that 36mm? Looks very nice.
41 mm. 36 is too small for male hands IMHO.

Quote:
Dont think things will open by before my anniversary. So will check there.
Be prepared to wait nevertheless, if you are particular about a model / colour combination. Build your ideal watch on the Rolex website and then share it with the dealer.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:28   #4226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Where do I start Iwonder. The pursuit of finding a perfect time piece to encapsulate the memories of an event that was to be my marriage ended in me buying this unexpected beautiful orient star.
Orient Star is the relatively higher end spectrum of Orient watches, and are usually finished to a higher quality level than their standard range. That said, Orient provides some of the best value for money watches at an extremely accessible price point. I myself wear the Bambino Gen 2 Ver 2 as my daily office wear watch, and also the Mako II as a beater diver/ everyday watch. Both of them are extremely satisfying purchases. The Orient star with the white dial and blue hands in 38 mm and with a power reserve indicator is a work of art, and I have drooled over it many times.

Quote:

Thats a nice Datejust in a Buckley dial. I myself prefer the baton hands (non Roman numerals) on the dial, but this model too is lovely. I prefer the 36 mm dial though, having relatively smaller wrists. How long did you have to wait for delivery? Datejusts and the entry level Oyster Perpetual models are relatively easier to get, the steel sports models like the Explorer, Submariner, GMT etc are much more difficult to get hold of.

Watches of Switzerland is a pretty renowned retailer and AD of Rolex through Europe and US. Good to know that they can get your model of choice for you if you let them know in advance. Also, pleasantly surprised to hear that UK duty free is cheaper than other places, though I always thought Europe was one of the most expensive places to purchase watches.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th April 2020 at 10:30.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:51   #4227
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats a nice Datejust in a Buckley dial. I myself prefer the baton hands (non Roman numerals) on the dial
Me too!

Quote:
How long did you have to wait for delivery?
About ~2 months (give or take + 1 on model).

Quote:
Datejusts and the entry level Oyster Perpetual models are relatively easier to get
I like nothing other than the DateJusts in Rolex's entire range. The DayDate is sweet, but crazily priced at 3 - 4X more. Instead of a single DayDate, I'd rather have one DateJust + Omega + Tag + Chopard .
Old 10th April 2020, 23:11   #4228
BHPian

OT:

One watch for the enthusiasts and that i would definitely love to own: ( one with a miniature buggati engine and more)

Which watch do you own?-cdf9c9eef1bf44a4a96aee0e6a9c6133.jpeg

Source:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-uV0rsjuO0/

Jacbos and co, well done

@Mod: Please move to another thread if required.

Last edited by SideView : 10th April 2020 at 23:15.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 02:17   #4229
BHPian

Quote:
41 mm. 36 is too small for male hands IMHO.
That is a very handsome piece. A jubilee bracelet combined with a fluted bezel is the way to go with Datejusts or DayDates. And Rolex seldom does much with colors, so that blue is an excellent way to go.

While sizing one's personal watch is obviously best left to the individual based on personal taste and fit, I'd have to say that a blanket statement that XX size is too small for male hands is not true. Large dials and cases are a recent trend led by the Hublots, Breitlings, and RMs of the world. Men have worn watches as small as 30mm quite gracefully. Even the WW2 pilot watches by Omega or Longines were sub-35 mm, and those were critical tools back in the day. I'd also argue that its way more awkward when a watch is too large for a wrist (i.e. the dial/lugs spilling over the wrist) than it is when a large wristed person wears a 34-38 mm piece. One looks classical/vintage while the other just looks like a dinner plate on a wrist. Of course, the exception to this rule is when someone is using a watch as an actual tool, for e.g. a small-wristed/female diver or pilot using a 42-43 mm super-case Rolex or a Navitimer.
kinetic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 07:53   #4230
BHPian

Here's one i particularly keep going back to in my collection of predominantly affordable watches