Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Thanks! I got it off the treasure hunt site called hmtwatches.in
It can be frustrating.
Just another pic on NATO:
Attachment 1954840

Any idea what is the case size in mm of these HMT dress watches? 40mm or below that?
Old 9th January 2020, 15:28   #4097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Any idea what is the case size in mm of these HMT dress watches? 40mm or below that?
Case diameter is 36mm - a classic dress watch dimension.
Lug to lug 42mm
Lug width 18mm

Above is true for most popular mechanical models like pilot, janata, jubilee, kohinoor. Some cases have bigger lug to lug depending on the case shape for example Vijay.

HMT Automatics (I don't have any) are bigger for some models!
Old 9th January 2020, 15:33   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Case diameter is 36mm - a classic dress watch dimension.
Lug to lug 42mm
Lug width 18mm
Wow, if those numbers are accurate then indeed it is a perfect dress watch size. 36 mm dress watches with 42 mm lug to lug are rare to find in this budget range, its usually the higher end brands which offer such classic sizes nowadays.
Old 9th January 2020, 15:46   #4099
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, if those numbers are accurate then indeed it is a perfect dress watch size. 36 mm dress watches with 42 mm lug to lug are rare to find in this budget range, its usually the higher end brands which offer such classic sizes nowadays.
Sir, to reply to a veteran watch collector like you I drew the watch outline on a paper and measured with a mm ruler before replying even though I knew the dimensions!

Will share some wrist shots soon.

The HMT website is a lucky draw, the pictures do not do justice, no dimensions are mentioned. There are some smaller unisex watches also. The HMT watch collectors grab the popular models in a flash. In addition, no one knows HMT's strategy of operations after their official closure in 2016.

In a recent article in Deccan Chronicle it was reported that HMT sold 50,000 watches! That's huge with buyers buying their watches thinking this their last opportunity to buy a HMT watch.

--surjaonwheelz
Old 9th January 2020, 15:52   #4100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, to reply to a veteran watch collector like you I drew the watch outline on a paper and measured with a mm ruler before replying even though I knew the dimensions!

Will share some wrist shots soon.

The HMT website is a lucky draw, the pictures do not do justice, no dimensions are mentioned.
Sir : I am neither a veteran nor a huge watch collector, just a watch enthusiast like you owning a few watches of my own and perpetually drooling over many others Thanks for the accurate measurements though!

HMT watches have always interested me, but as you said, its never available on the website. I have subscribed to the notifications, not sure if they are reliable - any experience on this? Also, I did notice that their website descriptions are pathetic - no dimensions, weight, good pictures, nothing. Hence, its difficult to figure out real life sizes.

Wrist shot will be very helpful, along with a mention of your wrist size

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 9th January 2020 at 15:53.
Old 9th January 2020, 16:44   #4101
BHPian

Quote:
Sir : I am neither a veteran nor a huge watch collector, just a watch enthusiast like you owning a few watches of my own and perpetually drooling over many others Thanks for the accurate measurements though!

HMT watches have always interested me, but as you said, its never available on the website. I have subscribed to the notifications, not sure if they are reliable - any experience on this? Also, I did notice that their website descriptions are pathetic - no dimensions, weight, good pictures, nothing. Hence, its difficult to figure out real life sizes.

Wrist shot will be very helpful, along with a mention of your wrist size
You're being humble! If you have any particular HMT watch that is available on the website in mind, I can try to help you with whatever information I have. Their notify me button is useless, it doesn't work!

My HMT Janata on a James Bond Nato strap:
Which watch do you own?-img_20200109_15401701.jpeg

My wrist size is ~7.2" (inches)

--surjaonwheelz
Old 9th January 2020, 16:55   #4102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Getting as gifts, though they aren't Swiss made, one can't be choose [much] when you get something as gift.
The first watch in my post, its order got cancelled on its own. In the meanwhile, I too did some research and concluded that, I should have gotten myself a Seiko / Citizen at least.

The Fossil which got delivered is a bit too big for my liking, but, I believe that is the norm, so keeping that.

Spoke with the ever friendly D-BHPian Saket and post some brainstorming, I have ordered these.

Which watch do you own?-71padhob6l._ux569_.jpg

Thanks bud .

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2020 at 18:52.
Old 10th January 2020, 08:38   #4103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wrist size is ~7.2" (inches)

--surjaonwheelz
Thanks Suraj. That is helpful! The watch looks very nice

Quote:
The Fossil which got delivered is a bit too big for my liking, but, I believe that is the norm, so keeping that.
Actually, the big watch fad has kind of died down over the last few years, and there is now a resurgence of classically sized smaller watches which look more elegant on wrist. They are definitely not the norm, though

Personally, I prefer smaller watches in the 38-40mm size bracket, but if bigger watches are what you personally like, then don't let anyone talk you out of them! End of the day, you should be happy with your timepiece, that is all. The piece you have posted looks really good, and being Ecodrive, will be practically maintenance free for years to come.
Old 10th January 2020, 09:31   #4104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, the big watch fad has kind of died down over the last few years, and there is now a resurgence of classically sized smaller watches which look more elegant on wrist. They are definitely not the norm, though

Personally, I prefer smaller watches in the 38-40mm size bracket.
I too think, I prefer normal sized watch, Fossil is a bit too thick and dial is big for my liking.

Anyways, since it is a gift, I am going to keep it, hope the Citizen isn't that large.
Old 10th January 2020, 12:29   #4105
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suraj. That is helpful! The watch looks very nice
Welcome

Quote:
Anyways, since it is a gift, I am going to keep it, hope the Citizen isn't that large.
This Citizen has a 44 mm case diameter, which by no means is going to be anything small. But dimensions are not the defining factor, needs to be seen how it looks on your wrist as lug to log will be 46 mm for this case shape as it has short lugs. One more factor is the narrow bezel makes the watch appear bigger. The compass markings are below the mineral glass crystal. specifications

A 44mm watch with a thick bezel appears smaller due to the bezel thickness.
Which watch do you own?-c44.jpg

Don't be so worried about dimensions, it's all about how you feel it on your wrist!

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 10th January 2020 at 12:52.
Old 11th January 2020, 10:50   #4106
BHPian

First of my few watches as an adult were Titan. Usual inexpensive Quartz watches nothing groundbreaking.

Later, when I went abroad, got to know the full range of watches and this craze of Swiss watches. It simply amazed me how a simple timekeeping machine can be so detailed and expensive. After a lot of study I ruled out Swiss watches because I thought "Its asking prices are simply not justifiable. After all its shows time. Even if other watches are less durable, for the price of a good swiss watch you can buy 20-30 normal watches."

Later when I got into product marketing - I realized all my previous assessments of Swiss watches were so wrong. If something is made with so much care and attention, it symbolizes some qualities - it has the right to wear a super expensive price tag. It is an emotional thing. By the time this realization kicked in, I was already in the mid-30s and responsibilities (EMIs) had started. So, this project of buying a great Swiss timepiece still is unfulfilled.

Meanwhile, I have been using a top-of-the-line Citizen Eco-drive chronograph, perpetual calendar watch. It is 2 tone Gold and Steel. It was gifted by my wifey.
Here is the pic:

This is a very good watch, is super accurate - I have not adjusted the time for many years. It is also quite well built. 200m water-resistant. Like all eco-drives, it charges itself from light. It has a power-saving function, it can be kept in dark for months and will not lose charge.

But I also wanted a beater watch for daily use/rough use. So, it had to be an inexpensive one. So, picked a Casio for this purpose:

This watch is also a great watch in its own way. It is super light. I have dropped it many times, tons of scratches, swam with it, played holi with it. It has withstood itself and still running great. Only the straps are worn out a but. It has solar charging with power-saving like my Citizen. It looks like a G-Shock but it is not. I want to own a G-Shock it is on my list.

Then came the fitness band/smart band era. Everyone has one on their wrist these days. The craze is growing rapidly. There are advantages no doubt, but it cannot give the same experience as a conventional watch. None-the-less, like every guy who wants to be fit, I fell to the trap and bought this from Samsung:

This is a great "smart" watch among other cheaper wearables. It has all the great fitness tracking, heart rate monitoring, notifications (super useful), IP68 water-resistant, smooth glitch-free software. It looks like a watch on hand (Some wearables look like a mini-tablet stuck on a wrist). Notifications are super useful, I have stopped reading notifications on phone now. The only con is: It was not easy to get used to charging every night along with my phone (especially since I was using solar watches which didn't even need a battery change in years). I miss this luxury on this watch. But I'm overall happy with it.
Old 13th January 2020, 20:48   #4107
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Am I late to the party??

I have never bought watches for myself except for one. The collection below comes as generous gifts from friends and family.

Which watch do you own?-img6210.jpg

Top Row: Swiss Eagle SE-9007-22 ADMIRAL | Tissot T035.617.16.031.00 COUTURIER CHRONOGRAPH | Ted Lapidus 5125401SM
Bottom Row: Westar ACTIV 9129STN | HMT Kohinoor | Garmin Vivoactive 3

The Swiss Eagle claims to have a Swiss movement. It has a satisfactory build quality. Light for its size. The watch had condensation issues since day one. Recently gave it a bit of heat with a hair dryer to get rid of it after almost 6 months of dilly-dallying with the idea. Its the watch I wear when I'm on holiday.

The Tissot is reserved to be worn with formal wear. I have maxed-out the adjustment and the leather band still hugs my wrist rather tightly. Need to get a nice replacement strap for it on which the original clasp can be transferred. It goes too well with formals. I hate wearing them, much like this watch.

I had never heard of Ted Lapidus. The watch is the heaviest in the collection. The rubber strap disintegrated and I went for a NATO strap for it. This too had a condensation issue which should have gone after yesterday's hair dryer treatment. I alternate between this and the Swiss Eagle when on holiday.

The Westar was found in a college classroom desk drawer and I didn't feel like depositing it to lost and found. Anyone who remembers losing this watch in NLH building of MIT, Manipal, circa 2009 - can get in touch. It had been my work wear watch since then until 3 years ago when I started wearing a Fitbit. It is the most robust watch here. I have not cared two bits about it in all these years and it just works fine.

The HMT was a ebay.in buy. 700 bucks for a used mechanical winding watch. It has the poorest build quality. The ugly metal band had no takers so i binned it. Put on a cheap NATO strap to give it some period correct colours. It falls back 8-10 minutes in a day even if you wind it 3-4 times in a day. It's more of a show piece than a time piece.

The Garmin was a corporate gift by our employer last year. This has become my daily wear watch. Love the build quality compared to Fitbit and the simple transreflective display is somewhat unique in the smartwatch / fitness tracker domain. Has loads of features like, uber ETA, navigation directions, music controls etc. But I just use it to track my activity, phone message, call and notification preview, and use the Garmin Coach to train myself to run.
Old 14th January 2020, 02:08   #4108
BHPian

I hope I'm not too late to the party too!

Just like manjunathkl, I too had a Titan initially, i.e. when I was in higher secondary school. My mother bought it for me, after I too wanted a "silver" watch, like many of my classmates.

After college, I moved to the U.A.E. and saw my manager sporting a Tissot daily and that got me interested in Swiss watches. Having just begun my career, it remained a dream for a few years. But finally, I was able to get one, and not a Tissot!

My first, very own watch - Rado Original Diastar Limited Edition
Which watch do you own?-img_8769.jpg

Movement: Automatic

Size: 38.5 mm

Limited Edition: Limited Edition of 1962 pieces

The Limited Edition is distinguised from the usual version by the blue dial (usual version is black) and an engraving at the back stating "One out of 1962".
A bit on the heavier side, due to the hard metal casing, but I got used to it pretty quickly, just like the sales guy said.
I visited the store around 3 - 4 times to see this baby prior to purchase and this even led me to get to know the sales rep well!

Later, I realised that I couldn't wear this for all activities. I preferred to use it on formal wear only.
I had an old G-Shock that was gifted to my dad over 20 years ago. It was no longer working so I tried to get it repaired and the outer protective casing replaced too, as it has withered off. Unfortunately, the service center informed me that the watch was no longer in production and therefore I decided to go for the newer iteration of the same model.

Casio G-Shock DW-5600E - Right next to it's older version.
Which watch do you own?-img_0797.jpg

EL Backlight with Afterglow
200 Meter Water Resistance
Clayton Crasto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 13:29   #4109
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any Titan Edge owner noticed that the watch clicks once in 20 seconds? I believe that is to preserve the battery since the battery itself is too thin.

The watch holds a Guinness world record for being the slimmest watch. Any idea on the caliber? I believe it's an in-house development of Titan.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:16   #4110
BHPian

Hello Enthusiasts,

I don't know if this is relevant here, Samay Bharati watch fair is being held in B'lore. No sale, only exhibition.

Which watch do you own?-sm1.jpg

If you visit, please share your experience with us.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 17th January 2020 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks