Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 11:46   #4051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nice little collection there. Like both the Seiko 5 and the Tissot chronograph. I have a thing for blue dials, so anything with a rich blue dial gets my attention
Same here. Blue dials pair extremely well with blue shirts, be it casuals or formals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The only reason why I have not yet added a Seiko 5 to my collection is because of the non-hand winding movement 7S26. Though some of the new Seiko 5 models come with the 4R series of movements which are both hacking and hand winding. Otherwise, Seiko 5s are perfect for the smaller wrist, elegant and the epitome of a beater mechanical watch.
Yes, the movement is non-hand winding; though you can hack the movement with some 'back-pressure' techniques; not sure if that is recommended though. Always wanted to have an automatic and this one got into my eyes at first sight. I may change the metal strap to a leather one; probably will look even better.

Regards,
Saket
Old 28th November 2019, 10:18   #4052
Distinguished - BHPian

Am a bit worried about buying online on Amazon.com through this black friday rush in the event I receive a fake/copy. Seems like Casio's are abound with fakes everywhere. And there is no way whoever receives it will be able to go through the trouble of checking it out, and asking for a return in this event.

The lowest price in India was about 11k. I think if the difference is marginal between this and the US price, I will stick with an India purchase for peace of mind during the Christmas/New Year sale. I guess even Casio showrooms and other retail shops will open up the Discount bandwagon for me to compare and strike a deal.
Old 28th November 2019, 12:46   #4053
Senior - BHPian

I got this from someone and then proceeded to buy online. Not sure if this is genuine. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am a bit worried about buying online on Amazon.com through this black friday rush in the event I receive a fake/copy. Seems like Casio's are abound with fakes everywhere. And there is no way whoever receives it will be able to go through the trouble of checking it out, and asking for a return in this event. The lowest price in India was about 11k. I think if the difference is marginal between this and the US price, I will stick with an India purchase for peace of mind during the Christmas/New Year sale. I guess even Casio showrooms and other retail shops will open up the Discount bandwagon for me to compare and strike a deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_8125.jpg  

Old 28th November 2019, 12:52   #4054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I got this from someone and then proceeded to buy online. Not sure if this is genuine. LOL
Man, even on Amazon India, when you browse the reviews you find a few who have returned the watch because it is not genuine. On the watchuseek forum, there are recommendations not to buy the watch online because of the huge number of fakes floating around. I don't mind buying it off Amazon in India during a sale as long as the watch checks out as genuine using the serial numbers and can be returned immediately if found a fake.

Better not "penny wise pound foolish".
Old 28th November 2019, 14:23   #4055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Man, even on Amazon India, when you browse the reviews you find a few who have returned the watch because it is not genuine. On the watchuseek forum, there are recommendations not to buy the watch online because of the huge number of fakes floating around.
I would not buy a watch without trying on my wrist. But since you have tried that, then at least you are sure about the model you like- G shock in this case. I can buy a watch from Amazon if the item is Amazon fulfilled or sold by retailers like Cloudtail or Appario Retail. In case of these sellers, you can be sure that they will not sell you a fake.

On the other hand, if I have to get a Swiss watch, say a Tissot or even a Mathey-Tissot, I would not go for online purchase. The more expensive a watch with a good brand recall, more are the copies floating in the market. Many first copies are beyond the capabilities of a layman to identify as a fake or original.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:28   #4056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The more expensive a watch with a good brand recall, more are the copies floating in the market. Many first copies are beyond the capabilities of a layman to identify as a fake or original.
Tell me about it. Even hallowed aspirational brands such as Rolex have copies which are so well made and high quality, that they pose a challenge even to the seasoned professionals to identify them as not being the real deal.

Some of the copies of the Rolex Submariner which are available in global markets are absolutely spot on and even use movements which are carbon copies. It is pretty much impossible for a layman or amateur collector (non-professional) to figure out their provenance.
Old 28th November 2019, 17:13   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, the movement is non-hand winding; though you can hack the movement with some 'back-pressure' techniques; not sure if that is recommended though.
Not recommended at all. The components in an Automatic watch are not made rugged enough to withstand hand winding. Even the new automatic movements which allow hand winding should not be hand wound.

I had a hand wind mechanical watch with tractor like reliability. Unitas 6498.1 to be precise. And it broke down in an year.

I do not handwind the Seiko 5 Sports I have now. In fact I am not even going to adjust the time. It gains time as is usual for all the new watches. Rolex advise that to make a watch lose time, just let it stand on its side in night. On the winding knob. And it works. The last row of data shows how the watch is now losing time. That was the day I started putting it on its side in night.

Which watch do you own?-screenshot.png

Which watch do you own?-pic11.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 29th November 2019 at 14:32. Reason: Trimming blank spaces.
Old 28th November 2019, 17:46   #4058
BHPian

How did I miss this thread all these years?

I love Team-BHP more now, since it has everything (almost) I love.
Watches, Motor cycles and Cars. Do we have numismatic and philately threads as well? I will have to search after this post.

Posting one of the watch I own, This is a Soviet era Civilian watch named Poljot.
Which watch do you own?-20150125_233830.jpg
Old 29th November 2019, 00:45   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahrd View Post

Posting one of the watch I own, This is a Soviet era Civilian watch named Poljot.
Attachment 1939665
Unfortunately the newer ones aren't so reliable. I ordered a Poljot Aviator with 24 hour dial and had to return it twice due to some issue or the other. This is some time last year.

I've had to put on hold my 24 hour dial obsession till the time I can buy a Longines Heritage.
Old 29th November 2019, 09:54   #4060
Senior - BHPian

When I was in search of an ABC watch, I looked no further than Casio G-Shock. There were some choices and I really liked the rugged look of the GWG1000 Mudmaster but eventually went for G-Shock Rangeman GW9400 as it had all the features of Mudmaster sans Sapphire Crystal. The Rangeman betters the Mudmaster as it has sunrise and sunset time.

The size of the Rangeman though big on paper is surprisingly wearable and comfortable on my 7 1/2 inch wrist. But still I prefer the GW5600 for its versatility, footprint and comfort while doing rides.
Old 29th November 2019, 10:18   #4061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
When I was in search of an ABC watch, I looked no further than Casio G-Shock. There were some choices and I really liked the rugged look of the GWG1000 Mudmaster but eventually went for G-Shock Rangeman GW9400 as it had all the features of Mudmaster sans Sapphire Crystal. The Rangeman betters the Mudmaster as it has sunrise and sunset time.

The size of the Rangeman though big on paper is surprisingly wearable and comfortable on my 7 1/2 inch wrist. But still I prefer the GW5600 for its versatility, footprint and comfort while doing rides.
Fully agree with you . I tried both the watches you mentioned and the Rangeman was better on the wrist. The GWG was just too much. Screams attention. I think the newer Rangeman is nicer/more stealth looking than the GWG.

G-Central is a nice website for Gshockers. Here's their list for 2019: https://www.g-central.com/best-g-shock-watches/

And the 9400 rangeman comes in at Number 2. Unbelievable that a 2013 watch still manages to be relevant and how!
Old 29th November 2019, 10:46   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
....Even the new automatic movements which allow hand winding should not be hand wound.
Can you please elaborate on why you say this? Surely movements which are meant to be hand winding and hacking can be very safely hand wound? Or, did you mean to type "movements which do not allow hand winding ..."?
Old 29th November 2019, 13:56   #4063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Unfortunately the newer ones aren't so reliable. I ordered a Poljot Aviator with 24 hour dial and had to return it twice due to some issue or the other. This is some time last year.
All my poljots are pre 1991 watches before the dissolution of Soviet Union.
I somehow fell in love with 3133 and 31659 movements. The watch shown earlier was a parts watch acquired from Ebay

Here is another Sturmanskie which means Navigator.
Which watch do you own?-poljot1.jpg
Old 29th November 2019, 14:02   #4064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahrd View Post
All my poljots are pre 1991 watches before the dissolution of Soviet Union.
I somehow fell in love with 3133 and 31659 movements. The watch shown earlier was a parts watch acquired from Ebay

Here is another Sturmanskie which means Navigator.
Attachment 1939886
I had found a pristine Sturmanskie in 2016 but lost the eBay bid. Never looked again, but yours is a great looking watch.
Old 29th November 2019, 15:11   #4065
Distinguished - BHPian

Youtube AI is going on overdrive after all my recent gshock related reading. Worth a watch (pun intended) though.

Who would have thought Casio had an assembly line in the shape of a G!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks