Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 12:33   #3916
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am happy that the movement has finally been upgraded in the new Seiko 5 range. The 4R36 movement is leagues ahead of the 7S26 movement on the SKX. Pretty accurate too, if one wears the watch regularly. I am actually quite surprised that the USA and Indian prices are in the same ball park, give or take a couple of thousands. Usually, automatic Seikos are atrociously overpriced when sold in the Indian market.
This is exactly what I was elated about and shared the information with fellow bhpians.

Your watch collection is great! I'll keep your thought process in mind when I take the 'dive'

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:44   #3917
BHPian

My humble collection, arranged in order of time of acquisition.

Which watch do you own?-watch.jpg

1.Casio Youth Series Analog : My first watch, gifted by my mom somewhere around 2010 and wore it through UG and PG. Has taken a lot of beating and tons of college memories attached to it. Would never sell it just becasue of the emotional value.

2.Casio Enticer Chrono : My second watch, again gifted by my mom in 2015, when I was on my first job. Haven't, and still don't wear it a lot but still won't sell it.

3.Timex Weekender Blue Dial : The 'classic watch' bug had bit me by the time and my first ever watch purchase. Along with the tan leather NATO looks stunning and got me several compliments over the years. Apart from that, no emotional value to the piece. Might sell it off in the future.

4.Seiko SKX013K2 : Boy oh boy, where do I start? First of all, would never sell it, ever. It was after a lot of research and sleepless nights that I zeroed down to purchase this iconic piece. Timeless looks, incredible versatility and built like a tank. I can go on and on about this legendary thing. The only gripe that I have with this little guy is that it doesn't have manual winding. Did I say that I would never sell it?

5.HMT Pilot (White dial Blue hands) : Bought it because my collection lacked a proper dress watch. Stunning looks and good movement. But I hardly wear it anymore and so, might sell it off.

6.Kenneth Cole Skeleton (Mechanical) : Got it as a wedding gift. Looks great and keeps good time. Wifey wears it occasionally. Won't sell it off as it was a gift.

As parting remarks I would say that currently the SKX has got me covered on pretty much all occasions, but the blue dial bug has bit me. And the search has begun
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:33   #3918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
As parting remarks I would say that currently the SKX has got me covered on pretty much all occasions, but the blue dial bug has bit me. And the search has begun
Nice collection, especially the SKX and the HMT dress watch. Must say that HMTs provide a to of value and looks are really classic. The SKX is a legendary piece, and my only gripe with it is that it non hacking and hand winding, which is why it did not end up in my personal collection. They have upgraded the movement in the new series of SKX though.

As for blue dials, there are tons of interesting options out there. It is my favourite dial colour too, especially on sport watches. I personally own the Orient Mako and the Seiko Samurai Pepsi version, both of which are lovely blue dial diver watches. Looking to sell the Seiko Samurai though, as I have hardly worn it a few times and it does not get much wrist time. Practically lying in an unused state.
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:02   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
As for blue dials, there are tons of interesting options out there. It is my favourite dial colour too, especially on sport watches. I personally own the Orient Mako and the Seiko Samurai Pepsi version, both of which are lovely blue dial diver watches. Looking to sell the Seiko Samurai though, as I have hardly worn it a few times and it does not get much wrist time. Practically lying in an unused state.
Thanks for the suggestion Arindam. Considering my pattern of usage, I'm trying to stay away from automatic watches for the moment. Currently have my eyes on the Seiko SND255 Flightmaster. Not just that, my 6.25" wrist won't allow me to wear anything with a lug to lug more than ~46mm. Apart from the blue dial ones, I currently have my eyes on the square vintage style G-Shock series and el-cheapo Loreo submariners (I just love their Submariner Hulk knockoff) from Aliexpress.

So, which spicy beauty are you eyeing right now?
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:14   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the blue dial ones, I currently have my eyes on the square vintage style G-Shock series and el-cheapo Loreo submariners (I just love their Submariner Hulk knockoff) from Aliexpress.

So, which spicy beauty are you eyeing right now?
The square G Shock (DW 5600) is my every day beater watch and a fantastic once at that. The thing literally takes anything you throw at it with aplomb and never skips a beat. I wear it for my workouts, swimming, and everywhere else where there is chance of the watch being knocked around. Great buy at around Rs. 3000. There are now metal variants on the market as well in addition to a ton of other variants, though in my book, the cheapest one (the model I have) is the best suited for beater watch purposes! Nothing beats the classic square G, and I find it to be a much better design than all the rest of the G Shock range.

As for Submariner knock-offs, do have a look at Tisell. They make some good watches, as does Parnis. Of course, these are all complete knock offs of the Submariner designs, but then if you are on a shoestring budget (as opposed to Rs. 10 lakhs budget for the real deal ) then these deserve a look. A little up the budget ladder, Steinhart and Squale also make good Submariner homages. However, note that these are all automatic timepieces.

As for what I am eyeing, don't know for sure. Have my eyes set on some expensive timepieces , but need to purge out a lot of my current collection before even thinking about it. The watch collection game is seriously addictive and damaging to one's purse strings.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 3rd October 2019 at 11:16.
Old 6th October 2019, 19:52   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
My humble collection, arranged in order of time of acquisition.

2.Casio Enticer Chrono : My second watch, again gifted by my mom in 2015, when I was on my first job. Haven't, and still don't wear it a lot but still won't sell it.

5.HMT Pilot (White dial Blue hands) : Bought it because my collection lacked a proper dress watch. Stunning looks and good movement. But I hardly wear it anymore and so, might sell it off.
Where did you get those leather straps from?
Old 6th October 2019, 22:36   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
Where did you get those leather straps from?
From Aliexpress. Check this out.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:28   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
If you do decide to sell the Pilot then please let me know.
Old 7th October 2019, 11:26   #3924

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[B
5.HMT Pilot (White dial Blue hands)[/b] : Bought it because my collection lacked a proper dress watch. Stunning looks and good movement. But I hardly wear it anymore and so, might sell it off.

Pilots are generally black dials is it not? I had not seen a white dial pilot till this one..
Old 8th October 2019, 07:25   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobetterID View Post
If you do decide to sell the Pilot then please let me know.
Tried sending you a PM mate, but failed. You can PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
Pilots are generally black dials is it not? I had not seen a white dial pilot till this one..
The Pilots came in a wide variety of dial colours buddy, black being the most common of the lot. Just check out this blog.
Old 8th October 2019, 12:24   #3926
BHPian

Great to see such nice watches on the thread. Especially Seiko's, which are one of my favourites. I like minimalistic watches which are slim in profile with no numbers on the dial. My collection:

- Orient Capital UG1R004B
- Orient Ray EM6500CD
- Seiko SNZH67K1
- Skagen 809XLTTM
- Citizen BN0100-00E
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_6151.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_6155.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_6162.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_6170.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_6163.jpg  

Old 10th October 2019, 05:00   #3927
Senior - BHPian

For better or for worse, I have an iPhone X and with it an iWatch. It is easier to use because of all the features it has (can take calls on it, a pedometer, heart rate monitor etc.). However, it makes me sad that I will probably reduce the use of my Tissot and other watches, but I guess it is true what they say. The only constant is change
Old 10th October 2019, 11:41   #3928
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Never knew some Patek Philippe watches have an 8yr waiting period!

https://circleofcricket.com/category...gery-in-london

Quote:
Apparently, Hardik was wearing Patek Philip Rose Gold Nautilus (in 18K rose gold case) with a reference number 5980/1R and Caliber CH 28-520 C. As far as the price of the watch is concerned - its worth INR 80 lakhs and has an eight-year waiting list.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:58   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Never knew some Patek Philippe watches have an 8yr waiting period!

https://circleofcricket.com/category...gery-in-london
Quite off topic but cant help thinking in awe of the kind of money these guys have to blow on a watch or other luxury items for that matter. Agreed, it is a great timepiece with fantastic brand value and heritage, and it may also be a good investment, but by god, 80 lakhs for a watch. Stunningly incomprehensible to most of us, even among the watch lovers among us.

IPL jai ho!
Old 10th October 2019, 16:08   #3930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite off topic but cant help thinking in awe of the kind of money these guys have to blow on a watch or other luxury items for that matter. Agreed, it is a great timepiece with fantastic brand value and heritage, and it may also be a good investment, but by god, 80 lakhs for a watch. Stunningly incomprehensible to most of us, even among the watch lovers among us.

IPL jai ho!
Mate spending money on objects of desire is all subjective. A person who wears a INR 500 watch may feel incomprehensible about people blowing 25-35K on a watch. Similar to someone buying a Maruti Alto might feel it is incomprehensible to see someone blow off money on a Rolls Royce Ghost. Similar to someone buying a TVS Heavy Duty Super XL moped would feel it is incomprehensible to see someone blowing money on a Ducati Desmosedici. So on and so forth...

Brands like Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange and Sohne, Zenith, etc. are Rolls Royce/Ducati Desmosedici of watch world.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 10th October 2019 at 16:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks