Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2019, 09:54   #3931
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate spending money on objects of desire is all subjective. A person who wears a INR 500 watch may feel incomprehensible about people blowing 25-35K on a watch.
True, not to mention that watches aren't even required these days, brands like Titan, Timex, Citizen, Seiko etc are too common and its better not to have them at all unless there is an absolute need for checking out the time, a need which the cell phone or clocks cannot fulfill. These watches look ordinary, period and really look awful when paired to formals, a friend wore a Casio GShock with a suit and it looked horribly out of place. Titan and HMT etc get pitted and look like relics too soon.

The Swiss are far better in making timepieces, be it in shape, polishing, finishing, movement decoration etc. They are the benchmark at any price range, be it Tissot, Longines, Baume et Mercier etc.

Quote:
Brands like Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange and Sohne, Zenith, etc. are Rolls Royce/Ducati Desmosedici of watch world.
A slight change of opinion, I'd say PP, AP, Lange etc are like BMW, Audi and Benz. Vacheron Constantin and Breguet have a deep history of being the royal families watch brands.. so they are a cut above. The Bentley and Rolls-Royce watches though, are independents like FP Journe, Greubel Forsey, Franck Muller, Kari Voutilainen etc.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:39   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The Swiss are far better in making timepieces, be it in shape, polishing, finishing, movement decoration etc. They are the benchmark at any price range, be it Tissot, Longines, Baume et Mercier etc.
Let us not underestimate Grand Seiko. They are right up there with the best of the best, and most specifically, their case design and "Zaratsu" polishing techniques are just fabulous. Some of their models have brilliant dials too, especially the Snowflake dialed GS (reference number SBGA211 if I remember right).

I have handled a few of them though for brief periods, and the level of detail and case/dial work are nothing short of simply mindblowing.

Coming to movement, the spring drives on some of these Grand Seikos are real feats of engineering and quite befitting Japanese technology and attention to detail, not to mention that mesmerizing and hypnotic second hand sweep.

Worthy competitor to and at par with any of the mainstream Swiss big names, if you ask me. Yes the Swiss are bigger names with more public goodwill and brand equity, but a true enthusiast will definitely appreciate the value that GS offers in the luxury segment.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th October 2019 at 11:47.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:00   #3933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Let us not underestimate Grand Seiko. They are right up there with the best of the best, and most specifically, their case design and "Zaratsu" poliching techniques are just fabulous. Some of their models have brilliant dials too, especially the Snowflake dialed GS (reference number SBGA211 if I remember right).
I have seen Grand Seikos, personally they look quite ordinary, I know you are a huge fan and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but personally I couldn't figure out what is so special. They are quite bulky and the movement finishing is bland.. definitely not dress watch material.

Lange & Sohne when viewed in person, I went speechless, the striations, black polish, angular polishing, swans neck regulator engraving etc, it looked like a 1080p photo even in the palm. Again it felt bulky even at 38mm due to thickness.

Have seen VCs and Jaegers too, a Grand Seiko wont come 10 miles close in terms of sophistication.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:16   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
True, not to mention that watches aren't even required these days, brands like Titan, Timex, Citizen, Seiko etc are too common and its better not to have them at all unless there is an absolute need for checking out the time, a need which the cell phone or clocks cannot fulfill.
Mate a wrist watch is an accessory for men like jewellery is to women. It is like when quartz watch was launched people started saying why need a mechanical watch when quartz keeps better time and is cheaper than the former. If that was the case we wouldn't have seen people still wearing mechanical watch in today's age of smart band/watch, mobile, etc. I find it really amazing and intriguing giving a couple of shakes to a mechanical watch (worn by my dad) which was in the closet lying unused for 20 years started ticking with those coupe of shakes. 700 odd bucks for servicing it an it runs to this say without any hiccups. A Citizen Automatic Eagle 7 from the 1970's it is.
Quote:
These watches look ordinary, period and really look awful when paired to formals,
Mate you must have a look at some of the watches from Seiko Presage and Grand Seiko lineup. Also Citizen makes some fantastic watches. These two brands especially Seiko can give swiss a run for their money. Grand Seiko snow flake is a beaut.
Quote:
a friend wore a Casio GShock with a suit and it looked horribly out of place.
There are many celebrities/businessmen/famous people who wear Gshocks with pride on their suits. The watch is that legendary, it has a cult following. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder mate. For example I wear a Seiko Divers watch on my suit despite having a few dress watches. To each his own.
Quote:
Titan and HMT etc get pitted and look like relics too soon.
Not sure about HMT. If you are talking about acrylic watch crystal used on HMT then it can be easily buffed/polished to remove/lessen the scratches. About the watch case, well the HMT Mechanical Nishat worn by mom during 1970's has no pitting or rust whatsoever. Ditto for my other HMT mechanicals. Like cars it depends on the user how they maintain and show TLC to their watches.
Quote:
Mate do take a look at Seiko Presage and Grand Seiko lineup. They can give a serious run for money to Swiss brands you've mentioned. For example the Citizen Diver NY0040 used by the Marina Militare(Italian Navy) is rated at 200 meters, but the Italian navy pressure tested it to 500 meters and the watch passed the test unscathed.
Quote:
A slight change of opinion, I'd say PP, AP, Lange etc are like BMW, Audi and Benz. Vacheron Constantin and Breguet have a deep history of being the royal families watch brands.. so they are a cut above. The Bentley and Rolls-Royce watches though, are independents like FP Journe, Greubel Forsey, Franck Muller, Kari Voutilainen etc.
I believe the likes of FP Journe, Greubel Forsey, Franck Muller, Kari Voutilainen, JLC, Maitre du Temps, Christophe Claret, etc. are the Pagani's, Koenigsegg's and Bugatti's of the watch world.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 11th October 2019 at 12:21.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:43   #3935
Senior - BHPian

That is but obvious. There is a reason why the watches you have mentioned are priced at huge premiums and in a completely different price range altogether. If a manufacturer is asking Lange prices, there better be a perceptible and considerable difference in workmanship!

So it is no rocket science that these high end brands will have higher levels of craftsmanship.

When I say that GS is toe to toe with Swiss brands, it is implied that I am referring to Swiss watches in comparable price bands. Not Lange and JLC.
Old 11th October 2019, 16:53   #3936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
When I say that GS is toe to toe with Swiss brands, it is implied that I am referring to Swiss watches in comparable price bands. Not Lange and JLC.
GS is heftily overpriced as well, to my eyes, movements decorated by Swiss makers like Cartier, Baume & Mercier, Longines (even their ETA grade) are better decorated that Seiko.

I want to see details, Geneva stripes, pearlage, sunburst dials, grained edges etc.. GS is like Lexus, they both have overhyped processes called Zaratsu and Shimamoku but the end result os something that simply falls short of the masters of luxury aesthetics - the Europeans.
Old 16th October 2019, 14:13   #3937
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello watch enthusiasts,

Did someone get the capacitors of their Citizen Eco-drive or Seiko solar changed here in India? How much did it cost and is the procedure complex? Are these capacitors available easily?

Thanks.
Old 17th October 2019, 13:36   #3938
BHPian

In the market for a Trintec Nav 01 watch. Can someone guide me how to import one from US ?Which watch do you own?-nav01chss_web.jpg

Last edited by princey : 17th October 2019 at 13:36. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 19th October 2019, 13:00   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello watch enthusiasts,

Did someone get the capacitors of their Citizen Eco-drive or Seiko solar changed here in India? How much did it cost and is the procedure complex? Are these capacitors available easily?

Thanks.
Not sure about the citizen but I've heard that any authorised service centre of Casio should get the job done. Assuming that you're asking about the solar G Shocks, they run on the CTL1616 rechargeable solar battery and they're hard to find, even online. AliExpress has the same in stock and the Panasonic one costs around ₹850. But replacing a solar battery ain't as simple as replacing a regular one (like the battery should never be touched with bare hands and so on).

On a side note, a solar watch with regular exposure to light (any source of light for that matter) should run decades. I've read on forums wherein solar watches with regular usage lasting around twenty years before battery is replaced. Is it doable? Yes. Easy? No.
Old 19th October 2019, 14:03   #3940
Senior - BHPian

I'm liking the new GShock slim models DW 5600, planning a mall visit. The negative offset is not my type but does look the most stark.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-screen-shot-20191019-1.57.37-pm.png  

Old 19th October 2019, 15:04   #3941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
On a side note, a solar watch with regular exposure to light (any source of light for that matter) should run decades. I've read on forums wherein solar watches with regular usage lasting around twenty years before battery is replaced. Is it doable? Yes. Easy? No.
Thanks. Citizen and Seiko analog watches claim anything between 7 to 10 years for time due to replace the capacitors. Not sure about Casio; since G Shocks are digital, consumption may be less but still if they can go for decades, again, not sure.

Regards,
Saket
Old 19th October 2019, 15:09   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello watch enthusiasts,

Thanks.
I had checked with a local watch shop in Bangalore about EcoDrive capacitor change. They quoted 1200 or 1500. I did not get time to get the work done though.
Old 19th October 2019, 15:11   #3943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I had checked with a local watch shop in Bangalore about EcoDrive capacitor change. They quoted 1200 or 1500. I did not get time to get the work done though.
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!

Regards,
Saket
Old 21st October 2019, 17:28   #3944
BHPian

Put my Timex Marlin Snoopy Automatic on Orange canvas straps.
You gotta love that domed crystal.

Which watch do you own?-img_1139.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_1140.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_1141.jpg
Old 21st October 2019, 17:41   #3945
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Citizen and Seiko analog watches claim anything between 7 to 10 years for time due to replace the capacitors. Not sure about Casio; since G Shocks are digital, consumption may be less but still if they can go for decades, again, not sure.

Regards,
Saket
G-shocks are based on the Triple-10 concept. 10 year battery life. 10 ATM water resistance. 10 meter fall resistant
The batteries should last 10 years for sure. I have never replaced the battery on any of my g-shocks yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks