Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 17:09   #3796
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

My Seiko 5 Sports Automatic is down. I need the centre-wheel, but unable to find it anywhere. Really liked this one, but feeling a bit sad to see it sitting wasted. I tried parts suppliers in the UK, and also on ebay sites.

Dont want to go to Ethos because of their charges. This part costs less than 2 GBP, and Ethos will straight away ask for a min of couple of thousands.
Old 10th January 2019, 12:10   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My Seiko 5 Sports Automatic is down. I need the centre-wheel, but unable to find it anywhere. Really liked this one, but feeling a bit sad to see it sitting wasted. I tried parts suppliers in the UK, and also on ebay sites.

Dont want to go to Ethos because of their charges. This part costs less than 2 GBP, and Ethos will straight away ask for a min of couple of thousands.
https://www.seiko.in/support/customer/index

It seems that Ethos is the authorised service partner for Seiko, but you have another option in Bangalore itself.
Old 10th January 2019, 13:14   #3798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
It seems that Ethos is the authorised service partner for Seiko, but you have another option in Bangalore itself.
Thanks, Viraat.

Zimson is the other listed service center. Called them up - and the approach is the same. Min 2K for a servicing. Then the part cost - what ever they say. :(

I can get a replacement movement (full unit) for a little more.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:52   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Viraat.
Zimson is the other listed service center. Called them up - and the approach is the same. Min 2K for a servicing. Then the part cost - what ever they say. :(
I can get a replacement movement (full unit) for a little more.
Can't say about your city but the Seiko showroom in Delhi took my Seiko 5 and sent it to Kochi to their national service centre. The Pawl lever was replaced, the entire watch serviced and the chain buffed and sent back. I agree that it cost me Rs 2,200/- (for a watch I bought for Rs 5,500 in 2012) but the watch is running fine now. See if the same facility is available in your city (it must be)
Old 11th January 2019, 21:53   #3800
Senior - BHPian

Just give it to HOROLAB in Hanumanthnagar. This is near AUTO ASSEMBLY. He will do it. He is officially CASIO, but takes SEIKO sometimes as well. Another excellent source is this watch repairman who sits to the right of KAGGIS bakery. He is a wizard of sorts. Oldtimer, so fastidious!

Quote:
My Seiko 5 Sports Automatic is down.
Old 11th January 2019, 22:22   #3801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Just give it to HOROLAB in Hanumanthnagar. This is near AUTO ASSEMBLY. He will do it. He is officially CASIO, but takes SEIKO sometimes as well. Another excellent source is this watch repairman who sits to the right of KAGGIS bakery. He is a wizard of sorts. Oldtimer, so fastidious!
Thanks, Sebring. Next week - when I take the Activa to AA for servicing .

The story so far - I have stopped going to Ethos & the likes. I tried one shop in Jayanagar 9th block who identified the centre wheel to be bad. This wheel is about 4 mm wide with gear teeth & a spindle.

Need old timers
Old 11th January 2019, 22:50   #3802
BHPian

For any repairs or service of mechanical watches, any brand, try Regal Watches in Brigade Road, Bangalore. They have some highly experienced service personnel. Regal was the official timekeeper to the Maharajah of Mysore sometime in the 60s-70s. A friend got his Omega fixed there a couple of years ago.
Old 20th January 2019, 18:16   #3803
Distinguished - BHPian

I am on my way to Dubai. I looked at watches there a few months ago at the Dubai Mall. Nice but I did not see anything really special. Just all the main brands, but nothin really smug at special.

I'm not in the market to buy only want to look. Any suggestions?
Jeroen
Old 21st January 2019, 12:36   #3804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I am on my way to Dubai. I looked at watches there a few months ago at the Dubai Mall. Nice but I did not see anything really special. Just all the main brands, but nothin really smug at special.

I'm not in the market to buy only want to look. Any suggestions?
Jeroen
That totally depends on what you want to spend. You can get a nice basic Casio upwards of 40 USD, a sturdy and reliable Seiko 5 automatic upwards of 120 USD, an unusual but simple quartz like Swatch for 65 USD, and some premium Swiss watch can be had between 500 and 1000 USD.

If you just want to look and gawk at amazing prices, then start with Omega/Rolex/TAG/Rado, move on to Corum, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet and then into the unbelievable range of Richard Mille, or Patek Philippe. There will be plenty that cost as much as a good house.
Old 21st January 2019, 12:50   #3805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
That totally depends on what you want to spend. You can get a nice basic Casio upwards of 40 USD, a sturdy and reliable Seiko 5 automatic upwards of 120 USD, an unusual but simple quartz like Swatch for 65 USD, and some premium Swiss watch can be had between 500 and 1000 USD.

If you just want to look and gawk at amazing prices, then start with Omega/Rolex/TAG/Rado, move on to Corum, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet and then into the unbelievable range of Richard Mille, or Patek Philippe. There will be plenty that cost as much as a good house.
Thanks, as I said, I am not in the market to buy, I just wanted to look.

Quote:
Omega/Rolex/TAG/Rado, move on to Corum, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet and then into the unbelievable range of Richard Mille, or Patek Philippe
Nothing wrong with these watches, I own two Omega's. So do not get me wrong, I do not want to sound to blasé. But these sort of watches and brands are on sale everywhere in Europe. Very little I have not seen before.

I am really interested to see (not buy!) some truly exclusive watches, something like this:
(very poor image, due to my iPhone and very poor light)

Which watch do you own?-watch.jpg

I took this image a few years ago in Amsterdam. In a small, privately owned, watch shop. I could not believe my eyes. The guy had maybe 30 watches in his shop if that. More than half I had never ever seen in real life. Only read about. This particular one is one of my all time favorites. About Euro 35.000, which is the price of a fully loaded Ford Focus.

This is the Ressence, here a little video:

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st January 2019 at 12:53.
Old 21st January 2019, 13:05   #3806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I took this image a few years ago in Amsterdam. In a small, privately owned, watch shop. I could not believe my eyes. The guy had maybe 30 watches in his shop if that. More than half I had never ever seen in real life. Only read about. This particular one is one of my all time favorites. About Euro 35.000, which is the price of a fully loaded Ford Focus.

This is the Ressence, here a little video:
I was just about to give you a little write up on the Ressence, but you edited the post in the mean time.
They also have a new concept, it is called the Type 2 e-Crown. It looks cool, but I don't understand it yet.

I don't have access to YouTube, so I can't share videos, but here are a few that come to mind:

Vacheron Constantine released the slimmest ever perpetual calendar at the SIHH this year.

Jacob & Co revealed their Twin Turbo Tourbillion Minute Repeater. An absolute monster of a watch.

You should also look at HYT Watches, they show the time with liquid I believe. All their watches are super interesting to look at.

Another unusual watch I discovered is the Richard Mille RM 69. It is an "Erotic Tourbillion" with a pusher at the 8 position that reveals a dirty message. It is so cheesy and costs 750,000 USD.
Old 21st January 2019, 13:57   #3807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Love the alpinist. Also will order a few of those watch bands for myself as well. Got one from Barton bands today, but am unable to change out the existing steel bracelet myself. Will visit the showroom on Monday and get it done.
Thanks Mav. Do share the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Your Alpinist looks good on the leather strap. The stock strap is so bad that I suppose all owners are compelled to change it to a better alternative.

I have also picked up 2 Eache straps, and found them to be pretty decent for the price. However, have not installed them on any of my watches yet. My Alpinist is currently on the Strapcode Oyster bracelet. Gives it a nice sporty look and feel.
How does the watch look, please post a photograph.
Old 21st January 2019, 14:01   #3808
BHPian

I ordered the blue leather strap from Barton, but I really did not like it. It has the faded look, which does not suit the look I was going for. Finally walked into the Titan showroom next to my office and found a very nice Hirsch black strap for my watch. It has the alligator finish and suits the formal look that I was going for.
Old 21st January 2019, 15:11   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I ordered the blue leather strap from Barton, but I really did not like it. It has the faded look, which does not suit the look I was going for.
True, what you said about the blue leather Barton watch strap, i bought one for my HMT Janata and first look was not impressive at all. However this being a quality leather, it ages really well. I do not have the watch right now with me, shall share the photographs later on but the strap looks really nice now. So i would suggest keep wearing it specially since it comes with quick release stems and you can switch with the more formal Hirsch one as per need.
Old 21st January 2019, 15:58   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
True, what you said about the blue leather Barton watch strap, i bought one for my HMT Janata and first look was not impressive at all. However this being a quality leather, it ages really well. I do not have the watch right now with me, shall share the photographs later on but the strap looks really nice now. So i would suggest keep wearing it specially since it comes with quick release stems and you can switch with the more formal Hirsch one as per need.
The Hirsch straps don't feature a quick release though.

On a related note, the Hirsch straps age well, but need some care w.r.t. moisturising, I feel like I ignored mine, and it may break within a few months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks