Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2019, 11:31   #3811
BANNED

re: Which watch do you own?

Finally my Omega Constellation (large size, 43mm) back after repairs. The watch was slipping on the change of date. Omega/Swatch found that the gearwheel was damaged. It was also replaced for no extra cost since it was part of the watch, and they considered it as normal wear and tear problem. I think it may have been a manufacturing defect. A watch gearwheel failing after only five or six years of sparing use makes no sense. Standard place in Saket New Delhi (near Max Hospital). I am still to get the watch it is with our son in Gurgaon. Thanks once again to SS_Traveller for putting us on to them.

Total damages Rs.20,000 - which is their standard service charge for the model. Had been with them since November.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th January 2019 at 11:35.
Old 27th January 2019, 19:56   #3812
BHPian

A recent addition to my AP Royal oak offshore family.

a very nice upgrade to their old safari range. The blue on brown looks really subtle and classy. They have incorporated some minor changes in design for this new royal oak, but all in all the same Ap quality.

The only thing I do not like in the new one is the pin buckle.
Here are some pictures of the new watch along with 1 of my old AP royal oak offshore.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-03.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-04.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-05.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2019, 18:36   #3813
PPS
Senior - BHPian

So my Seiko Presage is back after a service. Now let me start with the good part. Service was carried out in warranty & there were no charges for the same. From the correspondence exchanged with me, it was serviced in Ernakulam by Alfa Time Service Pvt. Ltd.

Now the bad part. The issue doesn't seem to have been solved! The watch continues to gain about 5mins in 1 hour. Now its gained about half hour in the past 6hrs or so. I'm perplexed as to what needs to be done now. Whether any particular part needs to be replaced or whether i should ask them to change the entire movement under warranty?

Name:  srpb.png
Views: 2176
Size:  686.0 KB

Quote:
So gave my Seiko Presage to Ethos outlet for service. The watch was bought through longislandwatch.com, USA & it came with worldwide warranty for the 1st yr which expires this week. As it turns out the warranty card is not filled up,nor stamped! Got in touch with longislandwatch, who were very prompt to reply back saying warranty card need not be filled & all you need is the original receipt.
Let's see how this works with the Seiko service centre in Bangalore. Interestingly, Seiko offers 2yrs warranty in India.
Quote:
My Seiko Presage is running too fast, approximately by 5-10mins. I think i tried to adjust the date & time yesterday between 9pm - 3am something which should never be done on an automatic watch from what i've read now. I may have turned it counter clock wise also, maybe.
What's the solution? Hope I haven't damaged the movement.
Old 4th February 2019, 10:05   #3814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS
From the correspondence exchanged with me, it was serviced in Ernakulam by Alfa Time Service Pvt. Ltd.
I gave my Sieko-5 automatic watch for service at Alfa Cochin, as it hasn't been working properly. Though they said that spares might not be available anymore for this range. :(
Old 4th February 2019, 12:37   #3815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

Now the bad part. The issue doesn't seem to have been solved! The watch continues to gain about 5mins in 1 hour. Now its gained about half hour in the past 6hrs or so. I'm perplexed as to what needs to be done now. Whether any particular part needs to be replaced or whether i should ask them to change the entire movement under warranty?

Attachment 1844632
Please check whether the movement is magnetized. If so, any service centre with a demagnetizer can set it right in a few minutes time.

By the way, nice background for the picture!
Old 4th February 2019, 12:47   #3816
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Total damages Rs.20,000 - which is their standard service charge for the model. Had been with them since November.
Finally it is with me. The actual costs were 19,500 and not even 20k. Pristine, but then it was unmarked and there is sapphire on the glass as well as rear cover. Only thing with can mark Sapphire (Alumina, Hardness 9 MHO) is Diamond, Silicon Carbide, and any Alumina variant.
Old 15th February 2019, 14:22   #3817
BANNED

I inherited a Wittnauer Swiss ladies watch which is around 15-20 years old. If I want to sell it where can I sell it - will I get a decent price for it.
Old 15th February 2019, 16:04   #3818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I gave my Sieko-5 automatic watch for service at Alfa Cochin, as it hasn't been working properly. Though they said that spares might not be available anymore for this range. :(
Got back the watch today after service and repair/replacement of some parts, which they luckily had in stock. It is working fine now.

A good buffing of the whole watch was also done as part of the service. Looks good now.
Service (Rs600) + Spares (Rs586) + GST (Rs214) = Rs1400

Spares changed :
- Jewelled Palalet Fork (Rs381), Gasket (Rs90), Second Red Wheel (Rs115)

Which watch do you own?-sieko.jpg

This one is like 35years old - was a gift from an uncle working in Singapore. Was a big deal then - automatic and all, especially for a school kid. Still the most favorite of my watches.
Old 15th February 2019, 16:23   #3819
Distinguished - BHPian

Last year I wrote about my wife's Longiness watch. It had been giving us issues over some time.

I contacted Longiness here in the Netherlands, they had the watch picked up, apologized and put a complete new movement in and delivered the watch back to us.

This week the watch started running slow 15-20 minutes per day again! Just mailed them and again they are sorry, the watch will be picked up on Tuesday. Let's see where this goes.

Jeroen
Old 16th February 2019, 10:01   #3820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Last year I wrote about my wife's Longiness watch. It had been giving us issues over some time.

I contacted Longiness here in the Netherlands, they had the watch picked up, apologized and put a complete new movement in and delivered the watch back to us.

This week the watch started running slow 15-20 minutes per day again! Just mailed them and again they are sorry, the watch will be picked up on Tuesday. Let's see where this goes.

Jeroen
How old is the watch? Is it still under warranty?
Old 16th February 2019, 10:16   #3821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
How old is the watch? Is it still under warranty?
We bought it in May 2014, and it has been back several time since. So it is long out of warranty, but the replacement of the movement was done free of charge.

Three/four major repairs in as many years is simply not good enough for a watch like this. They will come and pick it up this Tuesday and we will have to wait what they say this time.

Jeroen
Old 16th February 2019, 17:09   #3822
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So it is long out of warranty, but the replacement of the movement was done free of charge.
I wonder if such a thing happens in India, Longines would do it free of charge as perhaps goodwill warranty. I think its only Omega which comes with longest warranty of 5yrs, atleast this is what was told to me by an Ethos executive.
For my Seiko, i was told over the phone that changing the entire movement costs about 4-5k.
Old 20th February 2019, 15:45   #3823
BANNED

Is there any place in Bombay which buys 2nd hand watches? Preferably in the suburbs. I have a 20 year old Wittnauer Swiss ladies watch which I want to sell. The person to who the watch belonged to is dead & it will rot if not in use.
Old 20th February 2019, 17:57   #3824
Oxy
BHPian

Got my Orient Surveyor delivered yesterday - in 1 day flat. What a fantastic piece of art it is !!

Need to get the band resized (remove a few links that is). Can I walk into any watchstore to get this done? Sorry for the noob question.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:54   #3825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Got my Orient Surveyor delivered yesterday - in 1 day flat. What a fantastic piece of art it is !!

Need to get the band resized (remove a few links that is). Can I walk into any watchstore to get this done? Sorry for the noob question.
Congrats on the Orient. Orients have always packed huge bang for the buck, with good quality to boot. Which dial colour did you pick up? A few pics would always be appreciated!

Yes, most watch stores could do the resizing job. However, my recommendation would be to walk into any small/local watch repair shop (a competent one of course!) and they will do it for much less. The bigger branded stores might charge you an unnecessary fee for what should be nothing more than a 5 minute job.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 21st February 2019 at 09:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks