Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 12:48   #3766
BHPian

Bought the limited edition pressage today. This is my first automatic after the hmt though. Now looking for a nice blue watch strap for it as all my other watches have steel bands. Any ideas on where to get good quality watch bands would be great. I have selected a few from Barton's and some on Amazon US. Is AliExpress any good?
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1545203867839.jpg  

Old 19th December 2018, 14:42   #3767
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Bought the limited edition pressage today. This is my first automatic after the hmt though. Now looking for a nice blue watch strap for it as all my other watches have steel bands. Any ideas on where to get good quality watch bands would be great. I have selected a few from Barton's and some on Amazon US. Is AliExpress any good?
Lovely watch, I only wish it came in a smaller dress size of 38mm or lower. that would have made the watch perfect as a daily wear dress watch.

For straps, do check out Colareb. Awesome quality and design, but does come at a bit of a premium. Genuine handmade leather straps from Italy. Would suit the Presage to a a T.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 19th December 2018 at 14:49.
Old 19th December 2018, 14:46   #3768
BHPian

Thanks, will check it out for sure. Have ordered one from Barton US. Reviews seem to be very good for them and shipping is cheap. This is my first 38 mm plus size watch and it does not seem to be too large for me. I usually wear an Omega which is 38 mm or a few others which are smaller than that. But this seems to fit just fine.
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:58   #3769
BHPian

BTW, are there no good local brands for watch straps?
Old 24th December 2018, 09:13   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, are there no good local brands for watch straps?
I am not aware of any Indian brands which manufacture and sell respectable watch straps - at least, matching the quality that you get from entry level brands like Barton in the USA. I would have loved it if there were Indian options available, but unfortunately, when I had researched a few months back, my search revealed zero options for Indian made watch straps.

Of course, there are several local brands that do make watch straps, but to my knowledge, they are mostly cheap ones with poor quality. I suppose the market for quality straps which are relatively more expensive is very nascent in India, and therefore, no real viable options are present.

I would love to be corrected, however. If anyone has information on local strap companies, do post the relevant information on this thread.
Old 26th December 2018, 10:47   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Try https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/
I have used them and their service is good.
Old 26th December 2018, 14:06   #3772
PPS
Senior - BHPian

So gave my Seiko Presage to Ethos outlet for service. The watch was bought through longislandwatch.com, USA & it came with worldwide warranty for the 1st yr which expires this week. As it turns out the warranty card is not filled up,nor stamped! Got in touch with longislandwatch, who were very prompt to reply back saying warranty card need not be filled & all you need is the original receipt.
Let's see how this works with the Seiko service centre in Bangalore. Interestingly, Seiko offers 2yrs warranty in India.

Quote:
Looked up Seiko India's website & I do not see any service centre's in Mumbai!
Old 26th December 2018, 17:07   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
So gave my Seiko Presage to Ethos outlet for service. The watch was bought through longislandwatch.com, USA & it came with worldwide warranty for the 1st yr which expires this week. As it turns out the warranty card is not filled up,nor stamped! Got in touch with longislandwatch, who were very prompt to reply back saying warranty card need not be filled & all you need is the original receipt.
Let's see how this works with the Seiko service centre in Bangalore. Interestingly, Seiko offers 2yrs warranty in India.
Yes, I was told the same thing when I enquired of Long Island Watch regarding the stamping of the warranty card. However, I did not actually need to make the warranty claim at the authorised Seiko service centre, since the issue that I was facing sorted itself out.

Will be interesting to see if Seiko India honours your warranty. Hope that they do and that your issue gets sorted out.
Old 26th December 2018, 21:14   #3774
Oxy
BHPian

Managed to snag an Invicta Pro Diver with an automatic Seiko NH35 movement from Amazon for Rs.4k which I think is a great deal to get me started in the world of automatics. It's this one:

But now I am thinking of cancelling this as I am not sure about the spares availability and service here in India. Is it a good idea to buy this in India?
Old 28th December 2018, 22:21   #3775
BHPian

Got myself a Tag. The first one so pretty excited
Got a pretty good deal from Ethos @25% off the sticker price.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-12929aa27d6a4fe6813d130c143b511b.jpeg  

Old 31st December 2018, 16:14   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

But now I am thinking of cancelling this as I am not sure about the spares availability and service here in India. Is it a good idea to buy this in India?
There is absolutely no problem with the spares and availability for this watch. The base movement for this is the Seiko NH 35 which is the unbranded version of the 4R35 Seiko movement which is the standard movement in its Prospex series of dive and tool watches. In other words, this is a reliable, tried and tested movement and should have no problems whatsoever when it comes to usage and maintenance of the watch in India. Any authorised Seiko service centre or skilled non-AD watch repair shop should be able to service this without hassles.

Go ahead with your purchase and enjoy the watch. Invicta Pro Diver provides solid value for money and is a great first mechanical watch to start one's horological journey with.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 31st December 2018 at 16:15.
Old 31st December 2018, 17:43   #3777
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
There is absolutely no problem with the spares and availability for this watch. The base movement for this is the Seiko NH 35 which is the unbranded version of the 4R35 Seiko movement which is the standard movement in its Prospex series of dive and tool watches. In other words, this is a reliable, tried and tested movement and should have no problems whatsoever when it comes to usage and maintenance of the watch in India. Any authorised Seiko service centre or skilled non-AD watch repair shop should be able to service this without hassles.

Go ahead with your purchase and enjoy the watch. Invicta Pro Diver provides solid value for money and is a great first mechanical watch to start one's horological journey with.
Thanks for the wonderful feedback sir, though it's a little late as I have already returned it. The owner's manual that came with it said I had to ship the watch to USA along with a $28 fee if something went wrong. So I didn't see any sense there. Also the dial looked very small on my already small wrist, so didn't turn out to be my cup of tea.

But yes it does offer fantastic value for 3-4 grand considering even the Orients cost atleast 4 times as much here.
Old 31st December 2018, 17:47   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Got myself a Tag. The first one so pretty excited
Got a pretty good deal from Ethos @25% off the sticker price.
Its a beautiful one. Can you tell me model name/number?
Old 31st December 2018, 18:12   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
A question for the horology experts:

I have an Omega Seamaster Quartz that's recently had to go in for a PCB replacement with a bill of 15k.

I am told (by more than one expert) that this happens:

1. Once every 8 - 10 years (the watch has been with me for 10 years although worn very seldom), and

2. If the battery is not replaced every 1.5 years.

I have other watches - Swatch, Casio and other dress watches that are put to a lot more rough use that have also been with me for equally long or longer periods but none of them have had this problem.

So the question for the horology experts is - is this fact true?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Was the entire Bill of 15K for the PCB replacement, as normally, they clean and polish the case within their service charges. my Omega Constellation (automatic) is 18 years old and have had it serviced twice. each in a gap of 8 years.

IMHO You got off easy with a Bill of 15K.
Old 1st January 2019, 20:59   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Was the entire Bill of 15K for the PCB replacement, as normally, they clean and polish the case within their service charges. my Omega Constellation (automatic) is 18 years old and have had it serviced twice. each in a gap of 8 years.

IMHO You got off easy with a Bill of 15K.
They cleaned and polished the case too. As I understand it happens every 8 years. Paid only 12,800 after the discount as I knew someone in the Swatch Group.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks