Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2024, 18:18   #5266
BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This is my 2015 Citizen EcoDrive Perpetual Calendar Grand Date square with sapphire glass. But after 9 years of usage, and some storage with couple of revivals by exposure to sunlight in between, this time the watch would not respond to light even after 2 days of bright sunlight. Thats not normal. I tried couple of Ecodrive "reset" methods
Man, that is a hell of a watch! A bargain Monaco, I must say. I am sure it fits like one too. Its very difficult to find a good square watch these days within INR 40 to 50k if you keep the fashion brands aside. Wonder why watchmakers ignore the square shape. The only decent one which comes to my mind is the Seiko reissue below but that's also quite different from the Monaco.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-screenshot_20240504_181734_google.jpg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th May 2024 at 11:05. Reason: Minor typos
racer_7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 19:01   #5267
BHPian

Re: Seiko Kinetic - The quartz with a generator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I loved the Seiko Kinetic in 2014 and I love it even now. I love the concept of using weight to run a generator (inside a watch!) to charge the battery because its unlike any other rechargeable watch. Of course it is a pain to maintain compared to a Solar, but its unique. Still dreaming about that spring drive.
Excellent watch! I have the same in blue. Yellow is extremely rare to fine, so wear it in good health. My ones original capacitor lasted ~ten years. Just got it swapped out, few months ago. I think new capacitors last longer, and the watch does not need to be worn as much. Love the diver ruggedness though.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 19:33   #5268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
The Longines Spirit has a COSC certified chronometer and an reliable L888.4 movement. For the price and with this movement, this is the best bang for the buck compared to IWC. The IWC Pilot's watch Mark XX has a 32111 Calibre which is non-COSC certified and purely on this and price, Longines Spirit seems a better deal. There is a Longines Spirit Zulu GMT series also if you are interested and these are very good GMT movements and one of the best GMT movements in the market as well.
Thanks for the excellent advice. I am leaning more towards the Spirit models now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_7 View Post
Please note the Longines spirit model you are looking for is discontinued AFAIK. The Zulu time is the latest version though. Suggest you push Ethos for even further discount. But if you do purchase this let me tell you the watch is just fabulous in terms of finish. It’s also quite slim and the detailing in the dial like the chrome ring as shown below in my watch is just so classy. I am sure you would enjoy it.
You could be right because they said they don’t have any pieces in Delhi and they have one in Mumbai which they can get for me if I pay an advance.

I quite like this older series of Spirit models though. I am not sure if I want a metal band or leather. Leather ones don’t last more than a year or two and then finding a replacement band is a pain. But then leather ones look nicer sometimes.

In VFM terms, feels like Spirit pilot watches are well priced too. I am talking to Kapoor watch too to see if they can give me a good deal.
Old 4th May 2024, 19:45   #5269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Thanks for the excellent advice. I am leaning more towards the Spirit models now.

You could be right because they said they don’t have any pieces in Delhi and they have one in Mumbai which they can get for me if I pay an advance.

I quite like this older series of Spirit models though. I am not sure if I want a metal band or leather. Leather ones don’t last more than a year or two and then finding a replacement band is a pain. But then leather ones look nicer sometimes.

In VFM terms, feels like Spirit pilot watches are well priced too. I am talking to Kapoor watch too to see if they can give me a good deal.
I am more of a leather guy but I always buy the watches with metal bracelets and then switch to leather later usually in the winters. Its actually the opposite for me as most people prefer leather in the summers but in my case the forearm doesn't swell enough in winters resulting in slippery metal bracelets which I hate. Additionally I feel metal bracelets are more for show and hence wear it during summers with short sleeved clothing.
I learned it the hard way when I once enquired the price of a Tissot metal bracelet separately. It was almost 25% of the watch price!
Old 4th May 2024, 20:02   #5270
BHPian

Quote:
Please note the Longines spirit model you are looking for is discontinued AFAIK. The Zulu time is the latest version though.
The 39mm version of the Longines Spirit was classified as a Ladies watch instead of being listed under the men's section. The 42mm version is still there and is not discontinued. The Zulu series is the new series under the Spirit series and Zulu ones are the GMT version of the Longines Spirit collection. Both coexist at the moment and I think the maximum discount one can get is 20% and in some cases, depending on the color and stock, one can get a bit more if it is the last piece.
Old 4th May 2024, 20:28   #5271
BHPian

Quote:
The 39mm version of the Longines Spirit was classified as a Ladies watch instead of being listed under the men's section. The 42mm version is still there and is not discontinued. The Zulu series is the new series under the Spirit series and Zulu ones are the GMT version of the Longines Spirit collection. Both coexist at the moment and I think the maximum discount one can get is 20% and in some cases, depending on the color and stock, one can get a bit more if it is the last piece.
The 2022 spirit which I have was available in 37, 40 and 42mm. Not 39mm. Out of the 3 sizes the 37mm was unisex and rest of them were men's. Zulu is available in 39mm though.

I had picked up my 40mm watch last year from Dublin and it was on heavy discount as the retailer mentioned its discontinued. Maybe its not discontinued in India.

Also, since you mentioned about 39mm being ladies, I was curious and just checked on the Longines website for 39mm Zulu and its showing under men's and ladies sections hence a unisex model again.
racer_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:43   #5272
BHPian

Quote:
Man that is a hell of a watch! A bargain Monaco I must say. I am sure it fits like one too. Its very difficult to find a good square watch these days within INR 40 to 50k if you keep the fashion brands aside. Wonder why watchmakers ignore the square shape. The only decent one which comes to my mind is the Seiko reissue below but thats also quite different from the Monaco.
There are a few good square watches in both Mondaine and Briston brands. Mondaine is Swiss but deals in Quartz movements for these square watches. Mondaine has a classic and simple look design wise which is very attractive.

https://luxury.tatacliq.com/mondaine...00000019636741

https://luxury.tatacliq.com/mondaine...00000019636739

Briston is a British brand and has a mix of Automatic, Quartz, Chronograph for the square watch series and they are quite good design wise. The movement is a Seiko movement and can be serviceable easily in a good repair shop here. Both brands are available on Tata Cliq Luxury site.

https://luxury.tatacliq.com/search/?...SortFlow=false

If you are interested in Skeletal Automatics, then Seven Friday has a lot of square watches and they are all based on Miyota movements but these fall in in 1-1.2 lakh price bracket.

Quote:
The 2022 spirit which I have was available in 37, 40 and 42mm. Not 39mm. Out of the 3 sizes the 37mm was unisex and rest of them were men's. Zulu is available in 39mm though.
I had picked up my 40mm watch last year from Dublin and it was on heavy discount as the retailer mentioned its discontinued. Maybe its not discontinued in India.
Also, since you mentioned about 39mm being ladies, I was curious and just checked on the Longines website for 39mm Zulu and its showing under men's and ladies sections hence a unisex model again.
The 40mm is no longer in market I guess so that maybe the discontinued one. The new spirit series is 42mm from official site. Remember Teddy Baldassare mentioning this in one of his review or shortlist videos.

Last edited by whencut86 : 4th May 2024 at 20:46. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:59   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
There are a few good square watches in both Mondaine and Briston brands. Mondaine is Swiss but deals in Quartz movements for these square watches. Mondaine has a classic and simple look design wise which is very attractive.

https://luxury.tatacliq.com/mondaine...00000019636741

https://luxury.tatacliq.com/mondaine...00000019636739

Briston is a British brand and has a mix of Automatic, Quartz, Chronograph for the square watch series and they are quite good design wise. The movement is a Seiko movement and can be serviceable easily in a good repair shop here. Both brands are available on Tata Cliq Luxury site.

https://luxury.tatacliq.com/search/?...SortFlow=false

If you are interested in Skeletal Automatics, then Seven Friday has a lot of square watches and they are all based on Miyota movements but these fall in in 1-1.2 lakh price bracket.
Mondaine and Briston are good suggestions. I once almost picked up a Mondaine overseas but stopped short thinking its a micro brand and there might be issues with service in India. Can you throw some light on that aspect?

SevenFriday I saw selling at crazy low prices in the US last month. Was thinking of picking up one but refrained. If I can use an analogy the watch was like the Mistubishi Lancer SFX sold in India. Lot of show with not much to go. The design screamed futuristic like a Devon but visually there were not many moving parts which you could see moving at a glance like say a tourbillion or for that matter a simple rotating balance wheel.
Old 4th May 2024, 21:21   #5274
BHPian

OT question here: Wife has a Chopard which has had a battery leak. We went to Kapoor Watch company and they redirected us to their/independent service center which was only interested in quoting the servicing charges without even knowing/ checking/ understanding the concern. So we got the watch back. Any ideas on a reliable service center dealing in high-end watches in Delhi NCR? OK with a Mumbai based as well since we have close family there.
Old 4th May 2024, 22:20   #5275
BHPian

Quote:
Mondaine and Briston are good suggestions. I once almost picked up a Mondaine overseas but stopped short thinking its a micro brand and there might be issues with service in India. Can you throw some light on that aspect?
Mondaine is sold by Ethos and so you should be covered service wise. Can drop into any Ethos store and hand it over to them for service and they will cater to this even if bought from elsewhere. The Mondaine square one is a regular Swiss Quartz and can find plenty of service guys outside as well. They had the square version at 50-60% discount in Tata Cliq Luxury earlier. Good bargain at that price.
Old 4th May 2024, 22:45   #5276
BHPian

Currently wearing my Titan mechanical watch, really liked the internals being visible without opening the watch
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20240504_223410.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 10:47   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man that is a hell of a watch! A bargain Monaco I must say. I am sure it fits like one too. Its very difficult to find a good square watch these days within INR 40 to 50k if you keep the fashion brands aside. Wonder why watchmakers ignore the square shape. The only decent one which comes to my mind is the Seiko reissue below but thats also quite different from the Monaco.
Thank you! This Citizen was indeed inspired by the Tag Monaco and it was love at first sight. The square case round glass reissue Seiko in your post is a fine piece and the photo belie its dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Excellent watch! I have the same in blue. Yellow is extremely rare to fine, so wear it in good health. My ones original capacitor lasted ~ten years. Just got it swapped out, few months ago. I think new capacitors last longer, and the watch does not need to be worn as much. Love the diver ruggedness though.
Thank you! The BFK is built like a tank. With the new battery in I am giving it a lot of wrist time :-) The blue Pepsi BFK is a looker and when buying new I was in a decision dilemma split between the Pepsi and yellow out of the three variants.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th May 2024 at 11:04. Reason: Typos
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 12:59   #5278
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, one thing about owning watches; make sure to check the strap now and then and replace it before it breaks!

Years ago on a plane; we had just landed and I was just leaving my seat. The guy behind me touched my shoulder and said; I think this belongs to you!

He was holding my beloved Breitling Navitimer SE!! The strap had broken right on the little pin holding it! Never noticed it slipping from my wrist!!

So these days I check my straps regularly and replace them early. Not so sure about India, but here in the West you can buy very nice watch straps easily. Of course, if you want an original Breitling of Omega strap you will need to take out a mortgage! So I just stick to nice, well-made, straps.

The only downside is that both my Omega and Breitling original straps have a special Omega/Breitling buckle. I still have those, but unless you find somebody who can fit them properly to your none-original strap, you won't get to use those anymore. I can live with that.

There is a very nice watch strap shop in nearby Utrecht. They also have an excellent webshop. I really like this strap for my Navitimer. I think it really suits it. So I just ordered a new one. It's (red) rubber on the inside (and thus on your wrist) and leather on the outside.

I find that it is always the little loops that give out first, as you can see on the old strap. One loop broke free the other day and the second loop is only just attached. I have found you can glue those back in place most of the time, with super glue.

Which watch do you own?-img_7038.jpeg

When you replace your strap always replace the two pins as well. They cost next to nothing, so why take the risk? I have this nifty little tool for popping the pins out. If you have a small jeweller screwdriver that will do, or file a tiny V-slot in it.

Which watch do you own?-img_7041.jpeg

With the strap removed, it is also a good idea to clean it well in between the two lugs and the little holes for the pin too obviously.

Which watch do you own?-img_7040.jpeg

Which watch do you own?-img_7039.jpeg

All done once again, less than five minutes job!!

Which watch do you own?-img_7042.jpeg

It is real leather straps that wear most, obviously. Even if you don't wear them, the leather will, over time, become brittle and so on.

Rubber straps last a lot longer, but if you wear your watch a lot, also the rubber will start to wear around those little pins holding it between the lugs.

Even mechanical straps suffer from the same problem. A mechanical strap is unlikely to wear to the point of breaking, but the little pins might give out long before the strap does.

I think it makes a lot of sense to replace the straps every now and then. Especially with so many nice-looking straps about. To put things in perspective. The Navitimer would have cost around Euro 5000 in today's money. The strap costs Euro 40. That is less than 1% of the cost of the watch. The two pins cost a Euro a pair. For that sort of money it would be foolish not to replace the strap and pins every few years!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 5th May 2024 at 13:02.
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 15:34   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my local Authorised Dealer is offering me the Longines Spirit Prestige Edition with a decent offer. I didn’t know a Prestige edition existed in the first place. I am not able to make out the difference between this and a normal version except that this comes with 3 band/strap options in the box which is sweet but then the price difference is huge. This one retails for 2.92 compared to 2.28 for the normal version.

What do you guys reckon ?
Old 6th May 2024, 08:59   #5280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, my local Authorised Dealer is offering me the Longines Spirit Prestige Edition with a decent offer. I didn’t know a Prestige edition existed in the first place. I am not able to make out the difference between this and a normal version except that this comes with 3 band/strap options in the box which is sweet but then the price difference is huge. This one retails for 2.92 compared to 2.28 for the normal version.

What do you guys reckon ?
If you want the convenience of having a metal strap and 2 leather straps which can be swapped easily then this makes sense. If not then the normal version with 20% discount makes more sense. Only difference between the special edition and normal version is 2 more straps and a bigger box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks