Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2018, 12:52   #3631
Senior - BHPian

I have a few HMT's the mechanical hand winding types are not water resistant. The automatic ones are supposed to be. I would rather keep them away from water.
Old 8th August 2018, 13:02   #3632
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Any recommendations as to where I can find new HMT watches in Chennai? I would like to buy one of them as a Souvenir. Any suggestions?
Old 8th August 2018, 15:26   #3633
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
HMT owners, are the Mechanical watches water resistant? Just ordered my first one.
No, I keep them away safe and dry during monsoons. Give it a wind once a week or once in 2 weeks if its mechanical, or just wear the automatic indoors when it rains.
Old 8th August 2018, 20:08   #3634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Any recommendations as to where I can find new HMT watches in Chennai? I would like to buy one of them as a Souvenir. Any suggestions?
You can buy them from their website.
Old 8th August 2018, 20:20   #3635
BHPian

Quote:
You can buy them from their website.
I would prefer a showroom experience. I can try going to P.ORR and Sons but not sure if they have any HMT watches at all!

Could you also please suggest where I can get some good thick leather strap? I'm in need of one!

Last edited by joe1980 : 8th August 2018 at 20:37.
Old 9th August 2018, 14:00   #3636
BHPian

Hi..
Recently I bought a watch3 with GPS & Cellular model from HK. Many folks mentioned iWatch from HK is working seamlessly in India with Airtel connection. But for its not the case. I am not getting incoming call notification when watch is away from phone, but connected through LTE. I am able to make calls though. If anybody had this issue, please let me know the solution to resolve this. Called Apple support and they direct me to service provider.

Thanks in Adv.
Old 9th August 2018, 14:43   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Need a help!

Seiko SKX009 crown-stem has some problem (dis-engaged and comes out). Where in Bangalore it can be repaired?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Both Zimson and Ethos are authorised dealers of Seiko, and hence, they will be able to service a SKX. Otherwise, the Seiko boutique in UB city can also do it. You can try at any of these outlets.
I gave it to Zimson (Forum Mall) 3 weeks back. Now they sent me a quote

Estimate: 3450/-
Time: 4 months

Isn't it expensive for a crown repair/replacement? and 4 months time for it. Is there any other option?
Old 9th August 2018, 16:23   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I gave it to Zimson (Forum Mall) 3 weeks back. Now they sent me a quote

Estimate: 3450/-
Time: 4 months

Isn't it expensive for a crown repair/replacement? and 4 months time for it. Is there any other option?
Thats indeed quite expensive relative to the price of the watch. The time taken is also quite long. But I guess that is the cost of approaching the high end watch dealers and authorised Seiko service centres? The price will probably buy you peace of mind in a way.

Check Post no 3613 of this thread where member Condor has referred to a watch repair shop in Jayanagar 9th block. You could request him for details.

You could also try the shop where I go to, which is just outside the Jayanagar 4th block BDA complex. He has been around for quite some time and does a decent job of repairs. Cant remember the exact shop name but its about 5 mins walk from the Jayanagar 4th block bus station as you walk towards the 4th block BDA complex. However, these are obviously not authorised Seiko service centres, and more the friendly neighbourhood watch shop - will be a bit of a gamble.

On a related note, it would be helpful if members could post details of watch repair shops they have experience with and recommend.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 9th August 2018 at 16:25.
Old 9th August 2018, 17:38   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HMT owners, are the Mechanical watches water resistant? Just ordered my first one.
Mate HMT mechanical watches in general are not very water resistant, although they don't mention it explicitly but I believe they must be around 30M water resistant. I never take it near any water source and almost never wear it outdoors during rains as all my HMT's are adorned with leather straps.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th August 2018, 20:26   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Bought this on an impulse https://www.snapdeal.com/product/cas...d/642864999324 later realised its a first copy (fake) after going thru this https://www.snapdeal.com/product/cas...SABEgLOQ_D_BwE. Haven't cancelled the order yet.
Received the watch today and as expected it turned out to be FAKE. Quality of the outer casing was almost 90 % of the original and it would be very difficult for an average person to make out if its a fake. Once opened up its very easy to determine its a fake. I have written to Casio India if they would like to have this watch free of cost and take these fake sellers to task but i am not sure if they will be really interested.

I would not buy anything from snapdeal ever again.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-webp.netresizeimage.jpg  

Last edited by spookey : 9th August 2018 at 20:30.
Old 10th August 2018, 15:23   #3641
BHPian

What's a good website / shop to buy a decent automatic watch in USA? Preferably on sale? Have someone coming over.
Old 10th August 2018, 15:27   #3642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
What's a good website / shop to buy a decent automatic watch in USA? Preferably on sale? Have someone coming over.
Apart from the respective company websites, you can take a look at this website, they have a decent collection:

https://www.longislandwatch.com/
Old 10th August 2018, 15:29   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
www.longislandwatch.com for Japanese watches (Seiko, Orient, Citizen etc, as also some European and micro brands). Have had good experience of buying from them. Bought 3 watches, all 3 are Seikos.

www.watchbuys.com for German watches in particular.

Other than the above, Amazon USA also has great prices, but you will need to be careful about the seller.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 10th August 2018 at 15:30.
Old 10th August 2018, 17:26   #3644
BHPian

Which is this site ? swisscentral.co.in ? Seem to be copies of reputed brands. What is their reliability ?
Old 11th August 2018, 01:06   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
You are right. Every collection deserves a G Shock and with my G Shock 5600 on, I don't bother about small hits and dings which would worry me when I have my more expensive watches on my wrist.

By the way- where is this re-casing and strap change facility for G-Shocks available? Did you get this done at a local Casio store? Details will be helpful!

Apparently all authorised Casio watch service centres handle this job. You may have to pay the full price of the strap, wait for 1-2 weeks and then get it fixed. I got mine done in a Casio service centre in utility building, MG road, Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks