Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2018, 18:37   #3496
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I own a quartz watch and am simply amazed by the minimal maintenance they demand except for battery changes. I want to own a mechanical watch and I think it is best for me to start with a cheap mechanical watch and move on to high end brands only when I am comfortable with their mode of operation. I am not sure but I think Citizen/Seiko/Orient/HMT brands cater to entry level mechanical watches.

Seiko SNK Automatic series can be interesting to you.

It is cheap, rugged and simple. Dial has a classic look. This is a watch you will not bother servicing. Buy another one once it dies.

Accuracy is a hit or miss. Most of them keep very good time. But some will be gaining or losing time.

Will also suggest that you check out Chinese Mechanical watch section on WatchUSeek.
Old 5th June 2018, 20:38   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
As long as it is under warranty you should be good. Usually it just needs an adjustment.

Trivia again: Mechanical watches are adjusted to run a little fast when they leave factory. As oil breaks down and things get cloggy watch slows down a bit. So there is a period when mechanical watch keeps very accurate time. And then it starts to lose time.

At this price point I would have urged you to look at Grand Seiko. They are legendary for their accuracy and long service intervals. Only thing is that they are a bit bland.

And you didn't post pics of your watch. Or did I miss them.
Grand Seiko would have been an option for me if they had 35mm case size.

I have posted some pics of the watch at this page: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...u-own-229.html
Old 5th June 2018, 20:50   #3498
BHPian

I've been rocking Dad's HMT Rajat for couple of days now. This is probably 30+ years old - pretty banged-up. It has been sitting in a drawer for quite some time as it needs original crown and strap. Finally thought what the heck -let me wear it.

Seems to keep good time - couldn't measure any drop/gain in time so far. Will report back after few days if I manage to give it enough wrist time!

Which watch do you own?-img20180605wa0015.jpg
Old 6th June 2018, 11:09   #3499
BANNED

Let us face it. Quartz are the best in terms of time keeping and maintenance. Once a few years the movement also has to be serviced. However, ego and respect for old demands we get a mechanical watch with 'similar' performance.

Today a watch is as much an ego trip as for time keeping.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:47   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let us face it. Quartz are the best in terms of time keeping and maintenance. Once a few years the movement also has to be serviced. However, ego and respect for old demands we get a mechanical watch with 'similar' performance.

Today a watch is as much an ego trip as for time keeping.
As practically every one has a cell phone, and most are connected to the NET, cell phones; synchronized with world time; are most accurate.

Wrist watches have now been relegated to "Dress" and "Jewelry", hence in my opinion in a fancy wrist watch, design and show is most important, time and accuracy are a distant second.
Old 6th June 2018, 17:06   #3501
Team-BHP Support

This one is with me from 1999. One of the very first Eco-Drive model in the country then.
This one came for a shoot for Citizen brand launch campaign and I didn't allow this to go back.

Sorry for the picture quality as it is from phone camera.

Which watch do you own?-eco2.jpg
Old 6th June 2018, 17:33   #3502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Hmm, I've never found the NOMOS appealing.. not a fan of the Bauhaus at the price point that the company sells at. Its highly regarded in watch forums though mainly due to the fact that they went all in-house and stuck to mostly manual winding movements which appealed to the base requirements of the horologists. Its a company that started out with ETA calibers at very soft pricing but today this 25 year old company compete in pricing with much much older brands like Baume & Mercier, Omega and Cartier at the low end, and with much bigger brands like JLC, IWC and Blancpain in the high end.. to me brands from established horology houses like Richemont and Swatch is a no-brainer, obviously for reasons such as quality control and having their own testing standards.

Bauhaus is what drew me to NOMOS. I was considering the junghans max bill but when I realised that they don't even remove the date wheel from their ETA movements on the non date models it was a complete let down. Further they don't use sapphire crystal and cost almost 60-70% of the tangente which uses an in house movement and uses sapphire crystal for the dial and the case back. The finishing on the Tangente is top class. And as far as I know you will not get a mechanical Baume & mercier, omega or Cartier at the price of a Tangente. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Hence it's actually a no brainier. Beauty of course lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 6th June 2018, 17:33   #3503
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As practically every one has a cell phone, and most are connected to the NET, cell phones; synchronized with world time; are most accurate.

Wrist watches have now been relegated to "Dress" and "Jewelry", hence in my opinion in a fancy wrist watch, design and show is most important, time and accuracy are a distant second.
Agree 100%. It is a fashion statement, since timekeeping is no longer a matter of quality. Any watch will keep time.
Old 6th June 2018, 19:56   #3504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Agree 100%. It is a fashion statement, since timekeeping is no longer a matter of quality. Any watch will keep time.

I have a different view. I like these mechanical watches. I find it them amazing pieces of engineering and I am amazed at how accurate they are. No matter that any cheap but digital/electronic watch is likely to be much more accurate.

I like well engineered stuff. Not so much a fashion statement. My wife will tell you I'm the least fashion minded guy on the planet.

Jeroen
Old 7th June 2018, 10:32   #3505
BANNED

@Jeroen; Yes, a well engineered mechanical watch is a thing of art, and is nearest to perfection. However, for the usual user this science is 'lost'. He wants good time keeping and that is all. Engineering does not impress him.
Old 7th June 2018, 12:22   #3506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I like well engineered stuff. Not so much a fashion statement. My wife will tell you I'm the least fashion minded guy on the planet.

Jeroen
Completely agree. Its an apples to oranges comparison when one seeks to compare a quartz watch against a mechanical watch.

Even the most arduously certified and regulated Swiss piece will have inaccuracy which is greater than that found in the basic quartz movements. My love affair with mechanical timepieces has everything to do with their engineering and artwork/design, and rarely (in fact, never) their accuracy. As long as it keeps decent time, I am good!.

Another factor which is unique to a mechanical piece (whether it is mechanical or manual) is the involvement of the wearer in the continued operations of the watch. The fact that your body movement is powering the intricate machine on your wrist is somehow fascinating to me.
Old 7th June 2018, 12:33   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Another factor which is unique to a mechanical piece (whether it is mechanical or manual) is the involvement of the wearer in the continued operations of the watch. The fact that your body movement is powering the intricate machine on your wrist is somehow fascinating to me.
True,
Many years ago my sister in law was given a self winding watch. I really can’t remember the brand, but it was a pretty neat watch and it certainly wasn’t cheap.

However, it kept stopping, running slow. After much investigation the official diagnoses found that she was not moving her wrist enough! We never let her forget of course. It was true, because it worked fine on the wrist of her husband!

Jeroen
Old 7th June 2018, 13:06   #3508
BHPian

This is a gift from my dad.
It’s 50 yrs old and was given on his engagement by my maternal grandfather who was in watch business.
A prized possession that will keep reminding me of my grandfather.

All original parts - still works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-d4ef3536602d46f493b2f2c9d4a5640b.jpeg  

Last edited by LonelyPlanet : 7th June 2018 at 13:10.
Old 7th June 2018, 14:18   #3509
Distinguished - BHPian

The best of both worlds. An IWC Portuguese with quartz! The guy in Bangkok who sold it to me, told me it has an indefinite worldwide international warranty. Does not come any better!

Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1528361220.326625.jpg

This is probably the only IWC in the world that runs accurately, really!

Jeroen
Old 7th June 2018, 15:26   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
This is a gift from my dad.
It’s 50 yrs old and was given on his engagement by my maternal

All original parts - still works like a charm.
This is amazing! It feels good to see people using their watches for more than 10 years! One stupid question - how do you adjust date/day on your watch as I do not see a crown on the watch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks